main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Warp Me!" - Star Trek: Lower Decks [Paramount+ Animated Series]

Discussion in 'Community' started by PymParticles , Jul 1, 2020.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Surprisingly dramatic episode although there were a few laughs in there

like the inappropriate water dwellers who kept hitting on Rutherford during a crisis. Speaking of Rutherford, holly hell, his implant seems nefarious!

also Captain Soyna was the coffee spilling ensign from Q-Who, I knew the characters/voice sounded familiar but had to look at Trekmovie to confirm it.

But yah everything wrapped up cleanly and then suddenly Captain in chains, rather unexpected and extended the Pakled plot which seems to wrap up last week, and they're too stupid to have framed her.

The whole "removing the outer hull" to make it past the blah blah blah asteroid stuff was a very Trek-like solution but also kinda funny and absurd, which fits the show's tone, and something that can really only be pulled off in animation so taking advantage of the format.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This season finale was amazing.

And Sonya Gomez! Holy hell, that's a deep cut!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I stand by my assessment that Lower Decks is the best Star Trek show in the past couple decades.

It's funny that not too long ago, there wasn't any ST shows for the first time since TNG came on the air, and now... we're here.

It makes me even hopeful for something as hopeless as Star Wars! :p

Mar17swgirl, BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, that was a really great episode. And we finally got to see Cetacean Ops.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It was full-on SeaQuest DSV!

6. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Rutherford's line about the rubber ducky room had me rewind it to confirm I heard it. For those who didn't look closely at the Enterprise D schematics - one of the rooms on the Enterprise (and possibly every ship in Starfleet) has a giant rubber ducky in it. This was one of the subtle gags inserted by the TNG design staff during the show's run and was always there but never visible to most folks until the Enterprise D Technical Manual was published in the 90s with prints of the schematics.

darthcaedus1138 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That was a Star Trek episode. Problem of the week solved with creativity, professionalism, and risking their own lives for the greater good. Weird Sovereign-Excelsior was a bonus.

BigAl6ft6 and dp4m like this.
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I was gonna come here and ask T2Q what ship it was but it's apparently a new class of ship!

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Last week's episode but want to pretend for an hour that you're on the Lower Decks of a Borg cube?

great comments, "This is what Seven of Nine listens to when she can't sleep." Also this final shot had me wondering, I guess it is a Lower Decks of a Borg cube like and it's all a hive mind and everyone and every task is one. But you'd figure some drones would just be stuck perpetually processing data and energy management. Or maybe it's literally the actual Lower Decks of Borg cube.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Juliet316 likes this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    TIL that Sonya Gomez is the three-breasted alien woman from the original Total Recall...

K2771991 likes this.
  11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Some good behind-the-scenes news.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Catching up on Season 2! Only 3 episodes remain ( :( ). Season has been great. The characters are all solidly in their groove now. As soon as the episode I just watched mentioned they were bringing that computer (voiced by Of Course He's Voicing Someone) to the Daystrom Institute, I began imagining that room and, to my great delight, the end of the episode did not disappoint [face_laugh].

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    Sarge, BigAl6ft6 and Thena like this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I just finished season 2 and I'm ready for season 3. What does everyone hope to see? I'd like more of Tendi going off on racial profiling. These writers can make that work in classic Trek-deals-with-real-issues style and still make it funny.

BigAl6ft6 and blackmyron like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't think we've seen the end of the TUC style Klingon conspiracy. I think they mentioned that the Vulcan lady from the across the lower decks episode is going to be a regular on S3.

Sarge likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Watched the drills episode. Between Boimler trying to 100% the Borg Encounter, the implication that episode titles are, canonically, just the drill scenario names given to events after-the-fact and me cracking up in shower 15 minutes later after just realizing why the guy asking about Q was dressed the way he was, it was another great episode [face_laugh].

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  16. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    So I've been working on a Star Trek story (like I'll ever finish that, lol), and I think I've come out with a pretty good working for Mariner's age.

The story I'm working on was originally supposed to feature Sonya Gomez as one of the characters and be set in 2368 shortly after the comic Wet Behind the Ears, but I had to switch the time placement, however, becuase I realized a certain aspect of the plot necessitated it being set after Voyager was lost in order to make sense, and so ended up having to replace Sonya in the narrative (becuase it did'nt make sense for her to be presented in the way I was writing when she would have been in Starfleet for at least six years at that point). I picked a freshly-graduated-from-the-academy Amina Ramsey to fill her role.

The story is set in 2371 and Amina, I'm assuming for the sake of the plot, is around twenty-one. Meaning she would be thirty in 2380 when she shows up as a captain in Lower Decks. Mariner I'm assuming is a few years younger, making her eighteen in 2371, twenty-seven when Lower Decks starts and eleven/fourteen when she lived aboard the Enterprise-D (assuming she actually did and is the young girl seen in When the Bough Breaks and Clues as some have assumed)

I think that works; it let's her be in Starfleet close enough to Descent to talk about it as if it's recent in the flashbacks to Cupid's Errant Arrow and also gives her room to get all the considerable experience - including Dominion War service, where she could have done her "grey ops" with General K'orin - that she clearly has, while also providing enough time for Ramsey, who was at the academy with her, to plusably work her way up to captain.

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Dude, you're putting way too much thought into this. It's a fun cartoon. Enjoy it.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Even though it’s a comedy it’s still considered canon, not a parody. So figuring out Mariner’s backstory chronology is just as valid as trying to figure out Kirk’s (and probably easier too, since the writers have probably actually worked that out already and aren't just making up random stuff that needs to be worked out after the fact by external sources).

EDIT- Just watched 210: First First Contact after accidentally skipping 209 (because of weirdities with the PS4 P+ app). Man, had no idea that the Excelsior II-class debuted on this series and not in PIC 201. Also loved seeing under the hood of the Ceritos as well as the two nods to long-standing MSD in-jokes/details for starships. Actually a kind of emotional episode overall too.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    K2771991 and Iron_lord like this.
  19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Taking Lower Decks seriously ruins it, and it's the best Trek we have right now so I've no need to do that.

Sarge and Thena like this.
  20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Sarge, this is how some people enjoy it.
    Like me. :p

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    It was accidental; like I said, I was writing a story and ended up using Ramsey in it, which naturally cuased me to need to assign her (roughly) an age, and the rest fell into place from there.

Though I'd be lying if I said I had'nt *already* been trying to figure out Beckett's age and what is a pluasable way to plot out the course of her life; it's certainly not something I'm pulling my hair out over, just a fun experiment that concided with a need to assign an age to an academy classmate for personal creative reasons.

Definitely easier, lol.

The issues with Mariner are a lack of concrete information that makes it hard to pin down her age and any specific dates to build her life around*, while the problem with Kirk is too much information and an abundence of dates that run contrary to each other.

*the only real one is Cupid's Errant Arrow and Well Always Have Tom Paris; the latter indicates that she was assigned to Deep Space Nine at what would have had to have been some point between 2372 and 2375, and the former implies via dilogue that the events ofDescent I & II were fairly recent and the E-D had'nt yet been destroyed as of the flashback she has (so 2370/2371).

That was a Obena-class, not an Excelsior II.

The Obena's are supposed to be new ships of a totally different class that simply resemble Excelsiors (per BTS info), while I feel like the E-IIs are probobly just either modernized/refit Excelsiors or something akin to what an ISD II or an IRL Kresta II Cruiser are relative to an ISD I or a Kresta I Cruiser.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup - the Excelsior IIs look to be derived from the basic Excelsior (smooth hull) whereas the Obena looks to be derived from the Enterprise-B Excelsior variant (bulges on either side of the deflector dish).

The dish itself, and the nacelles, look very Sovereign-ish - I would suggest that the Obena comes from the same "design era" as the Sovereign - whereas the Excelsior II is probably an older design.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    K2771991 likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm, interesting. Ok, yeah, a closer look does show there to be differences. I like the idea that E2's followed the E1's design lineage, while the E1R began a variant offshoot lineage that became the Obena.

Iron_lord and K2771991 like this.
  24. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    @Iron_lord @The2ndQuest The Obana-class is probobly at least relatively new, given it's appearence. But the E-II is harder to pin down; personally I'm of three minds in terms of potential headcanons/explanations.
    • 1) It's not a distinct class in and off itself, but deticated, purpose built varient of the Excelsior-class (akin to the real world Kresta II Cruiser), and is probobly fairly old but perhaps less common then the baseline Excelsiors (due to the fact we've never seen one before despite the class being all over the place)
    • 2) It's just a designation given to Excelsior-class ships that have undergone extensive modifications in order to modernize their aging hulls (akin to the TMP Enterprise refit).
    • 3) It's a (relatively) new version of the original Excelsior-class ship (akin to the ISD II or the IRL Oscar II submarine), perhaps based on the upgraded systems and weapons of the USS Lakota.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that the Excelsior II's nacelles are still very Excelsior-ish (whereas the Constitution-Refit has very different nacelles) I would go with 1 or 3.

I could see oval (long) saucers being a late-period thing - a switch away from oval (wide) which was itself a switch away from round saucers. Using the "fairly old" theory (1) the Excelsior II might be one of the earliest oval (long) saucer ships - starting a trend which would continue with the Intrepid, Luna, Obena, and Sovereign classes.