main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story Star Trek: My Game Plan, Actually, (Dear Diary half-year) Nyota and others.

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Jul 15, 2021.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Disclaimer: I don't own the characters but I adore and admire them immeasurably.

This is for the half-year 2021 Dear Diary challenge.

-----

One

I had worked hard and long for this moment. Arrival at Starfleet Academy was something I felt honored and privileged to have achieved. I was determined to do my best, to develop my skillset as a linguist.

I would not let anything deter me from the path towards a fascinating and fulfilling career.

Kahara, amidalachick and Mira_Jade like this.
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    nice to see her with a diary, looking out for more

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    *pulls up a seat and takes out popcorn*

Ooooh, but you know that I am so here for this. :D [face_mischief] This is already off to such a great start, capturing Nyota's determination and eagerness to embark on this new path in her life. I can't wait to read more! =D= [:D]

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Two --

Professor Janet Collins, who is the instructor for psycholinguistics is a delight. Her lectures are informative, and she includes lively anecdotes to bring home the points. I enjoy learning how internal thought processes and emotional contexts drive the development of language.

Dr. Collins invites questions all throughout her lectures and is forthcoming with commendation for the thoughtful inquiry.

Professor Emilia Suarez is quite the contrast. She is the instructor for how ancient languages or dialects can inform the communications or other scientists about how modern cultures arose from those seemingly extinct. It is as if language is used as a map or a way to unlock clues to cultures that have either disappeared or transformed from their origins. It's quite fascinating and I soak the facts up like a sponge.

She invites discussion only after her lecture is done, and depending on the import of the question, treats it as a personal affront, "Didn't I explain that" or "Weren't you listening"? Thus, as the term continues, the persistent questioner(s) are the ones who ask in spite of her somewhat daunting demeanor. Upon reflection, perhaps this is part of the reason behind her attitude, to help discover or develop those aspiring students who are determined to dig deeper. It goes without saying which group I fall under.

++++

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  5. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    a great insight in her instructors. both are needed to bring out the best

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Three --

My Xenolinguistics instructor has gotten me in quite a mental muddle. He is so intelligent and articulate. I should be intimidated as some are, but I feel quite competent to engage in lively question and answer discussions during and after classes. Some of my fellow classmates ae blushingly infatuated with his Vulcan exotic good looks.

I however am unaffected.

Or am I?

That's what's gotten me in a bewitched and bothered frame of mind. Those eyes, that voice, it's like harps and the sweetest smoothest chocolate.

He does not seem to mind it when I drop in unannounced and without appointment, just to share opinions on all and sundry.

I find myself thinking of him as not exactly a mentor...I hope we are closer to being friends, which I have needless to say never striven for in similar contexts before.
    ------

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  7. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Meeting Spock hmm that will be the beginning of more than a mentor for her

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Four --

Ian Reynolds and Sherralyn were my partners in a course on computer algorithms as they related to sensors and communication. Ian was a true geek. He made it easy and fun to absorb what would otherwise be complicated mind-numbing numbers and equations. His screen saver amused me. It was that of an agile athlete in mid-leap and spin, making a putback shot.

"I love that!" I said.

"Yeah, well, our regional team won the whole caboodle for the first time in ages and they did it in no sloppy fashion either. True talent and teamwork."

I smiled and Sherralyn chuckled.

"When I serve on a ship in the 'Fleet, I hope I'll find that kind of solidarity." I mused.

"You'll be part of what makes the team gel." Sherralyn said. "By your job and your personality."

I felt warmed by her compliment.

9. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Ian ans Sherralyn are so right about team-work

10. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I love the tone of this so far!

Ooooh, I'd sit in on this class in a heartbeat! What a fascinating subject, and undoubtedly one Nyota would find her way past the professor's more prickly edges to excel in. :p [face_love]

And so it begins. Can't even blame the girl for being a bit bothered, bewitched, and bewildered! [face_whistling] [face_love] [face_mischief]

This was a great piece of introspection and foreshadowing - and Sherralyn is right. That's definitely the kind of atmosphere Nyota would both thrive in and shine to contribute to.

Keep up the excellent work! [face_love] =D= [:D]

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Five --

I shared openly with Miranda and Sherralyn whenever things weighed upon my mind. Sherra's warmth and Randi's snarky wit lifted my burdens.
    The two of them in tandem reminded me of my sister, Kashore, who had a personality that blended both empathy and humor in equal measure.

A source I didn't expect but welcomed nonetheless was Spock, whose mentorship and dare I call it, friendship I appreciated highly. He seemed to sense when something was bothering me, as when I was concerned about my cousin's recent bout of illness.

He proved to be a good listener, did not drench me in a flood of platitudes or seek to deflect my worries onto more mundane matters of interest, such as the upcoming spring choral concert.

My eyes silently teased, "I never would have guessed, that you would take such notice of me."

And his glance subtly replied, "As a valued colleague, amongst other things, I would not like it if your ... equanimity suffered."

Yet, I must admit the butterflies dancing in my tummy hoped this care for my well-being did not have a platonic source.

=_=

;)

12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    she has great friends in Sherralyn and Randi but Spock that will be . . .

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Six --

When things took a romantic turn, oddly enough, even though my friends were discreet, they didn't seem all that surprised.

"Was I that obvious?" I wondered aloud.

"Well, when Graeme Carlisle who is very nice and easy on the eyes couldn't capture your interest, I began to wonder," Sherralyn admitted. "And you always got this dreamy look whenever ..."

I laughed. "Oh no! Never let it be said I was twitterpated."

Sherralyn winked.

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Not surprised at all. They have seen it.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Seven --

I was thrilled to be asked by Janet Collins to join her on a summer-long internship working on her latest research project into how 'pop culture' shapes adoptions of idioms and how this later translates into incomprehension when the phrases lose their original context and persons unfamiliar with the context stumble upon the phrases and wonder, what is that supposed to mean?

"It would be as if we were suddenly thrown into Elizabethan England and had to understand the slang." I explained to my sister.

"Or all the phrases linked to the time when the TransWeb was just a glimmer of an idea and the first dominant search engine was not even up yet, so if you wanted to know anything you had to dig and slog through piles of crazy details to get to the crux."

Janet Collins asked me if I wanted to be groundside and continue on in the academic side of languages. I was honored by her offer. "I cannot deny it's interesting, but I ... my goal has always been to work in the field. I feel that is whee my true talent lies."

And my heart, I did not dare add. It was not a thirst for adventure that I craved, but something else, altogether...

===

@Mira_Jade ... [face_batting]

16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I'd thought I was all caught up on this! :oops: Thanks for the tag. :)

Equanimity, indeed! [face_mischief] [face_love] [face_whistling]

As always, these pre-ship phases are just the best. [face_love]

Not at all obvious! [face_laugh] Aw, I just loved the support from her friends.[face_love]

This is, the same as with Never Lost in Translation, something fascinating to consider. [face_thinking]

Cue the melty mushy aaaw! [face_love] Everything is on such a beautiful parallel with both personal and professional goals! It's something special when the head and heart find themselves in agreement! This is such a beautiful point in time for Nyota, beautifully expressed. [face_love]

Excellent few updates! I look forward to reading more. =D= [:D]

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    great update. Culture sure has his impact on languages

18. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Such lovely glimpses into Nyota's life and friendships...and, of course, her developing romance with Spock. [face_love]

This honestly sounds like an awesome class! I'd love to take it!

[face_tee_hee]

I just love the support and warmth of their friendship here!

This sounds so interesting too!

Something else, indeed. [face_batting]

Wonderful work, as always! =D=:)

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Eight --

Well... quite the balancing act that my love and I had... he trying to be judicious and not play 'favorites' and I insisting that my talents and aspirations merited a berth on the Enterprise. He never disputed this, but I daresay he did not want his preferences (personally) to come into play. I stood my ground.

"This is what I want and have earned." I pointedly asserted.

He acquiesced, as I knew he wished to anyhow.

So now, my personal and professional journeys have merged most satisfactorily.

Working together with him will be...quite the intriguing adventure.

++
    [face_love]

Kahara, Mira_Jade and amidalachick like this.
  20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Great to see her on the Enterprise. She is a talented woman and now with her beloved

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Nine --

Finding a way to navigate expressing differences of opinion in handling missions and concern for one another during situations fraught with danger is a challenge he and I have met with determination and devotion. Our professional respect and personal affection merge and intertwine for a most rewarding partnership. One I never expected or dreamed I would find, but which I would not trade for all the worlds!

+++++
    Fin

22. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Wonderful updates, and congratulations on finishing!

That's such a great feeling when everything falls into place like that.

The perfect finish! Awesome work. =D=:)

23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    A perfect ending for a lovely diary. Congrats on finishing

24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    These final two updates were fantastic! [face_love]

I loved this. She stood up for what she rightfully had earned, and look at the rich reward she reaped. [face_love]

I kinda accidentally quoted the entire entry, but I couldn't not do so. :p [face_mischief]

This just sums it all up: they are partners, in every sense of the word, and the stars are quite literally open with possibility before them. Beautiful. [face_love]

Thank you for sharing this touching journey with us, and congratulations on finishing! =D= [:D]