main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Story [Star Trek] "Something There Between Us" for the OTP Challenge, one-shot.

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Feb 9, 2019.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host Who Loves Fanfics & RPGs star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    Title: Something There Between Us

Author: WarmNyota

Characters: Sarek/Amanda -- and Amanda's friend, Glynnis.

Summary: Early in their acquaintance, a lovely meal is interrupted. Will it shatter the ambience? ;)

Disclaimer: Borrowing for fun.

Note: This is for the OTP #10 challenge, a date night derailed.
    Mine was #7 - "a chatty friend shows up"

The song referenced is here:

Thanks to the amazing @Mira_Jade for the look-over. Her input added some really oomphy touches. [:D]

~~

Amanda examined her reflection in the mirrored pane in her bedroom's wardrobe closet.
    She was wearing a soft peach and gray casual outfit. Hoop ear rings brushed her shoulders.
    She smiled ruefully. She did not know why she was going the extra mile to "dress up" for Sarek. They were not a couple, and he certainly wasn't one to drench her with compliments.
    But still, the butterflies would not stop twirling!

When he rang her bell 15 minutes later, promptly on the dot of when they had arranged, his eyes took in her appearance.
    Amanda thought she glimpsed a hint of undisguised but unspoken approval. Now there were even more butterflies...

The evening was beginning most auspiciously!

Sarek's invitation to this family-owned restaurant had come as a truly welcome one.
    The owners took pride in their family-friendly atmosphere, and they had recently branched out into catering for conferences and community events.
    They had catered an Ambassadorial function Sarek had participated in, and the entrees had been varied and unanimously enjoyed by all attendees, and Amanda loved frequenting restaurants with "home-grown" flavors.

Sarek recommended a dish called Caprese Risotto, which had tomatoes on a fluffy bed of rice with creamy Motzarella and Parmesan cheeses and a garlic butter sauce and other Italian spices.
    It sounded scrumptious, Amanda thought, and she was not disappointed! Each bite was a delight to the taste buds!

She and Sarek talked about the regular ups and downs, silly and satisfying events of their work days when suddenly an exuberant hail intruded.

"Mandy, hello! I didn't know you knew about this restaurant! What's that you're eating? Looks delicious! I am so glad I caught up with you! There're a million things I need to discuss with you."

It was Glynnis Riley, head librarian for the Seattle City Library. She was in charge of community and children's outreach and enhanced literacy programs. Her enthusiasm was infectious and infused those she worked with with energy and motivation, but now was definitely not the time for her nonstop ebullience. Sometimes that sincere, single-minded focus got in the way of her being able to notice the obvious, like she was perhaps interrupting something?

Although she would have preferred not to, Amanda courteously performed the introductions.

Glynnis' violet eyes took in Sarek with unashamed feminine appreciation. "Girl, you've landed a hot one." Her look said as she winked at Amanda.

Before Amanda could voice her surprise or ask: "Could you contact me tomorrow?" Glynnis pulled up a chair.
    Looking as if she were more than content to stay, she whipped out her datapadd and scrolled down through a series of submenus.

"This is a list of all the new offerings for the summer reading program for the kids in primary grades. Please, look them over and let me know which ones you think will be popular. And there's an author signing at the Book-Drop two weeks from Saturday. I'm making brownies and Graciella is making flan! Can you make some Rumaki? You know the ones with bacon, water chestnuts, and chicken livers? And filet mignon spring rolls? Those went over big the last time."

Amanda rolled her eyes and agreed to everything, the quicker to get Glynnis to depart. (She did enjoy making those menu suggestions to be honest, and they were easy and quick to prepare; besides, Amanda was always eager to support a good cause.)

"And ... oh, yeah! My cousin's mother-in-law's having their 40th wedding anniversary next weekend and she needs to find someone to touch up the wall-paper and spruce up the carpets and draperies. Can you recommend anyone?"

"Why not check out Raney's List." Amanda said. "It's free, now. You used to have to pay for the ratings, and I always wondered if they were actually from legitimate customers, but it never hurts to see what's posted."

"That's a super-duper idea! Thanks a lot! Well, I'll let you get back to your dinner!" Glynnis said and breezed out with a "Nice to meet you, Ambassador".

"Whew!" Amanda sighed as Glynnis exited. "She sure does suck up a lot of the energy in a room." She smirked and then suggested a bread pudding with brandy for dessert. She wasn't ready for the outing to be over.

A moment passed. She thought that Sarek agreed, and knew for sure when he replied, "Or some Gelato, perhaps?"

They ordered the Gelato which had raspberry sauce on top and Espresso in tiny cups to round out the delicious meal.

"I'm sorry Ms. Riley was so ... talkative." Amanda was quick to apologize.

"Please, think nothing of it." Sarek answered readily.

"It wasn't like she couldn't have talked those things over with me tomorrow."

His eyes sparked with amusement. "She seems the type who wants to get things done yesterday."

Amanda laughed. "That's her in a few words. You've sized her up exactly."

"It's a skill I've had to develop." He told her.

"Yes, I can imagine." Amanda grinned.

They finished the meal as comfortably as they'd started it, as if the interruption had never been.

On the way home, Amanda popped in a music-disc with selections from a jazz artist. One song she particularly favored was called "Ever Since We Met". In the melody, the soft mellow trumpet blended with the sultry tenor saxophone.

She found herself glancing at Sarek as the car glided over the hover-lanes. She would be less than honest if she did not hope strongly that he would ask to share another third-meal with her, and soon.

"I'll call you." However, was all he said as he bid her good-night.

Amanda swallowed her pangs of disappointment. Maybe Glynnis had put more of a dampener on things than he would admit?

Thus, it was to her pleasure when, not even two days later, he commed her to invite her to a jazz concert being held at Green Lake Park. His selection had been thoughtful, she couldn't help but smile, after hearing the music she'd played the night before.

"Yes, I'd love to! I'll make us a couple of sandwiches and bring iced tea." She laughed to herself. Her bubbly answer would've done Glynnis proud!

This made her add with wry amusement: "I am glad Ms. Riley's intrusion didn't put you off, make you think such would happen the next time."

His eyes gazed assuringly into hers. "It would take much more than such things to dissuade me from spending leisure time in your company."

"Your friendship is worth that and more to me, too." She dared remark. He did not quibble on her choice of words, and her heart sang.

+++

Kahara, Sith-I-5, Anedon and 3 others like this.
  2. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    So cute! Those chatty children’s librarians! But you know Glynnis has a good heart. And if Amanda and Sarek can still find something to smile about after all that then they are off to a great start, right?

Now I’m inexplicably hungry...

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The Fanfic Manager With The Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Well you know that I love this story, but that goes without saying! This was such a fun tale, in every way! [face_love]

Glynnis really is a dear, even if she is a bit obtuse, missing all of the social cues that were clearly there! Amanda really does have the patience of a saint. :p But, even the interruption wasn't enough to completely ruin the ambiance or the atmosphere between them. I'd certainly say that counted as a date, even if these two are in the hesitant first steps before a relationship. That they were able to smile and find their stride again so soon spoke volumes. I loved the coda that followed, too - Sarek sure did his research following her song, which says more than words - and they're on the right path towards something truly special! I adored Amanda's parting line. [face_love]

Now I too must confess to being hungry with finishing this. You do know how to make our mouths water, in more ways than one . . . ;)

=D= [:D]

4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Force Ghost star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Very nice. I wish I was familiar with the characters. I haven't watched Star Trek in a very long time.

Findswoman likes this.
  5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love it and that librarian (a younger version of Jocasta Nu?);)[face_mischief]
    Sarek sure knew what to do

Findswoman likes this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks for the sweet reviews. This was a joy to write and a particularly fun challenge.

Findswoman and Mira_Jade like this.
  7. Findswoman

Findswoman Force Ghost star 5

Feb 27, 2014
    Good gosh, that Glynnis really is something, isn't she! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Just going a mile a minute about this 'n' that 'n' the other thing despite all teh hints. The icing on the cake being, of course, that "landed a hot one" comment, right there in front of Sarek—whoo boy, I bet that made at least one of those Vulcan eyebrows rise! :eek: :p Love the coda you added, too, showing us a few of Amanda's own concerns abut the effect of Glynnis's interruptions, but also that Sarek wasn't put off by those interruptions—not that I thought he would be, because as we can see, he's landed a wonderful one, too! [face_love] A wonderfully sweet contribution to the challenge in true Ny fashion—thank you so much for being part of it! @};-

8. Anedon

Anedon Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 2016
    Funny story, nice to see a bit of Spocks parents. Sarek and Amanda are defenitley an intresting pairing to put into a situation like this. :)
    I´m glad Glynnis blubbyness didn´t scare of Sarek.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  9. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 21, 2016
    Loved this! And I am not surprised that Sarek was not particularly fazed by Amanda's bubbly gal pal. After all, as an ambassador, he must deal with a large variety of personalities on a daily basis.

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks a lot. :D Sarek/Amanda are a delicious pairing, only surpassed by Spock/Uhura. Yup, I'm sure Sarek was more than capable of taking Ms. Riley in stride [face_laugh] [face_mischief]

11. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Nice read.

Logical, no pun intended, reasoning for how the family-owned restuarant came to Sarek's attention.

Good description of the menu to establish atmosphere, and odd that Glynis did acknowledge Sarek, enough to opine that Mandy - :) - had "landed a hot one"

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.