main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek TNG] The Weight of Command

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Sara_Kenobi, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Title: The Weight of Command [Will/Deanna, Picard/Crusher]

Summary: Based sixteen years after the last Star Trek The Next Generation film, Star Trek Nemesis. Riker is in command of the USS Enterprise and is married to Deanna Troi. He has a reunion with Picard.

Notes: two-post story. Based after the TV and Star Trek film series. This is my first attempt at a Star Trek story in several years, and the first Fan fic I've written in about a year. So please forgive some mistakes.

Author: Sara_Kenobi

“Captain Riker, Star Base 87 says that the Admiral is ready to transport over from the Lollipop. Should we signal that we are ready to receive him?” Ensign Waylay waited for a response with patience.

Riker stared out at the viewer from his command chair on the bridge of the Enterprise. "Go ahead." Counselor Elizabeth Thomas was seated on his left and Doctor Beverly Picard to his right. “You want to go with me doctor?” asks Riker to Picard. Beverly had served on the Enterprise for close to thirty years. Taking time off to marry their former Captain in between that time. “I would love to Will,” beamed Beverly happily.

“You have the bridge, Waylay.”

He had married his own wife over sixteen years ago. It had taken them so long to get everything together. They finally found the right path, and that path brought them back together after so many years apart. The divorce had been a blow he hadn't seen coming. Deanna had decided one day that she wanted a retirement. Especially after the birth of their first child.

After Bryan was born, Deanna moved home to Betazed. Just as he considered joining her he had been offered the Enterprise. Will then promised her he'd retire within the next five years. The years flew by quickly, and when he changed his mind about coming home, Deanna had enough. They had two young children who were growing up without their father, and that was unacceptable to his wife. Will couldn't blame her for wanting out of their marriage. He'd too often put his career over family.

He hadn't been there for Bryan and Janna like he should have been. Will knew there was still time to be there for them. And he intended to be. But would Deanna change her mind about them? Sixteen years of marriage was about to be extinguished. The divorce would be finalized soon. He was finally prepared to follow through with his retirement. He could only hope it would be enough.

“It's only been two months, but I've missed him,” confessed Beverly as they exited the bridge to the turbo lift.

“I know the feeling,” replied Riker.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Kahara likes this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hello, Sara! Welcome to the NSW side! I adore Will/Deanna and Bev/Jean-Luc. :D You've set up the emotional scenario very well. Very plausible that Will would be focused on career.
    I would have hoped that the earlier separation from Dee (before they both were on the Enterprise, i.e., when the series started) would have driven home better priorities :eek: but he seems to be getting it now. I too hope it's not too late. [face_worried]

This reminds me too much of SW ST H/L, which bit me big time. :mad:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Sara_Kenobi likes this.
  3. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    “We're ready when you are, Ensign Riley,” Riker told the young woman to their left.

“Energize,” said the Ensign.

Riker turned to his left to see Jean-Luc Picard materialize before him. Beverly stepped forward first to greet her husband of five years. “It's been too long,” said Beverly in a gentle tone. “I have to agree,” The admiral smiled at his wife. “Good to see you, Will,” The admiral told his former first officer.

“Great to see you again, Admiral Picard,” Will grinned.

“Good to be back on the Enterprise,” Picard then said.

“Shall we head to Ten Forward for a drink?” offered Will.

“Let's,” replied Picard.

The three officers then headed to Ten Forward.

“Will, how are Deanna and the kids doing?” Picard asked first as they sat down.

“Alright, the last time I checked in,” Will said uncomfortably. Beverly gave him an uneasy look over her drink.

“Problems, Will?” asked Picard gently. He wanted to know from concern. Will knew that. Maybe Beverly never told him.

“We're separated, actually,” Will confessed. “Deanna wants a divorce. I'm married to my career and not her. Least that's what she told me.”

“I'm sorry to hear that, Will,” replied the admiral sadly. “I always thought...”

“Yeah, me to,” admitted Riker, cutting him off.

“Is it too late?”

“I hope not. I have shore leave next week. I'm going to go home and...well, give it my best shot. I'm going to offer to retire in a few months.”

Beverly smiled, nodding her head to her captain. “Here's to you, Will.” They all then took another drink.

There will be one more part I'll post to this. :)

Kahara likes this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Here's hoping it is not too late. And lovely camaraderie and caring between longtime colleagues/friends. @};-

5. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    Thank you. :)

6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    This is very good.

Some good pairings that you have presented here, eg. Picard and Beverley Crusher, and the expected 'ship of Will Riker and Deanna.

Although Will should be there for his kids, and should feel like he should be there, I can understand if, despite his usage of the word "home", Betazed does not feel like home to him, as he has never lived there. At least as far as I know.

Even with a couple of words, you have Jean-Luc's voice.

Great stuff.

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great story with the characters right

8. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Welcome to the NSWFF side of things! :D [face_dancing][:D] You are off to an awesome start here - that's definitely a pickle that Riker has found himself in, and though I can completely understand Deanna feeling so, I hope he's able to fix it! I loved Picard's voice in this, too. You really did get his character spot on!

I'm looking forward to the third part of this! Thanks so much for sharing! [face_love]=D=

9. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    Betazed

This house, reminding Deanna of her first family home on Lake El-Nar, when she was very young. They had plenty of space, inside and outside. It was a six-bedroom house that had the biggest back yard you could imagine. Will had purchased the house as a wedding present for her, promising to fill the rooms with their new and growing family. They also kept an apartment on Earth. An apartment they used for Shore leave when Will was still captain of the USS Titan. Now they used it for the odd fishing trip when Will had time to vacation with their family. Bryan loved it when he could go fishing with his father. Janna felt fishing was just simply gross and had no interest in it.

The thought of their family vacations made Deanna smile wistfully. She had gone much too long without seeing Will. And the last time she had been so angry at the time between their visits she told him it was her and the kids or his career. Divorce was a word she never thought to utter to Will. Their last visit had left her heartbroken and drained of all energy. The kids were at school today, leaving the house even more quiet.

Deanna came upon a picture sitting on a desk by the staircase. One of her favorites of the whole family together. She choked back a cry, missing the smiling man in the photograph. Her husband, her Imzadi. Her everything. She felt so lost without him.

With a gasp, she suddenly felt the familiar touch of his mind. He was close by, or she was simply wishing so much for it to be true, she might be imagining it. But no, she knew it was him. Will hadn't said when he'd be home next, so it was a surprise he was here now.

Deanna met Will at the front door, opening it first before he had the chance. She was in his arms before he could say anything. “I'm so sorry, Will. For everything.” She hugged him tightly.

“I'm sorry, Deanna,” He whispered into her thick mane of curly hair. “I have it set up with Star Fleet. It a couple of months I'll be coming home to stay. I'm retiring.” Will grinned down at her. “How does that sound?”

“Oh, Will,” Deanna gushed, placing her arms around him again. “I love you.”

“I love you, Imzadi,” Will replied softly.

They kissed to the sounds of their children coming home through the front door. “Dad!” cried Bryan. “Daddy!” screeched Janna excitedly. Will then took turns embracing the kids. “I'm home,” He told them. And he was.

The End

Kahara and pronker like this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @Sara_Kenobi -- SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Out. Loud. Loud! Oh that was scrumptious! You got Deanna's voice right =D= and her wistfulness and regret and unbounded unmistakable joy. [face_relieved] Will came home just in time.

Thank you for sharing this.

[:D] :D
    My kind of ending. ;)

Sara_Kenobi likes this.
  11. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Perfect with Will coming home to his wife and kids
    Thank you for the delightful story