main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek: Voyager] Resistance - short story, finished 8/31

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Kurdt_Kobain, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurdt_Kobain

Kurdt_Kobain Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2008
    Title: [Star Trek Voyager] Resistance
    Author: Kurdt_kobain
    Characters: OC, Various crew, Borg
    Genre: Drama
    Time Frame: Two years since Seven of Nine joined Voyager
    Summary: The Borg take back Seven of Nine, but she has company
    Disclaimer: I do not own Star Trek

~*~**~*~

I used to beg Commander Chakotay for time in astrometrics just to see her. It was an obsession with me that I could not overcome. I wasn't naïve enough to believe it was true love ? she was fascinating on an intellectual level and stimulating on a physical one... oh, and those thighs. I knew she wouldn't give me the time of day - she was on a command level, and I was a mere Ensign - but that didn't matter to me, it was simply exhilirating just to be in the same room with her.

"Return your focus to your assigned tasks, Ensign Cobain, you are distracted," she used to say when she knew we - I - was looking at her.

I never quite figured out how she knew I was in awe of her, but she knew.

There was another obsession for me in those times. As a junior officer, (only promoted to an officer after the Caretaker brought us to the Delta quadrant and there were gaps that needed filling) I never expected to be able to go on an Away Mission, but that never stopped me from dreaming. Just to get off Voyager and stretch my legs... and maybe find some 'adventure' as if that was something worthy of being sought out. I should have stayed on the holodeck.

Each time the new shift rotations would be posted, I would routinely seek out Commander Chakotay to ask for reassignment to the command shift, that I might have a chance to get 'out there', though I had no idea what was really 'out there'. Each time, the Commander would stare at me for a time with a sympathetic gleam in his eye before denying my request. Like clockwork I would inquire as to the reason and after some consideration he would reply, "I'm just not sure you're up to it yet, Ensign."

Dejected, I would return to my quarters and punch my pillows for a time and then trudge down to astrometrics with my head hung low. Upon seeing her though, my spirit would recover and all would be right in the galaxy.

This minor drama repeated itself for well over a year only one day I received the shock of my life. "I think you're finally ready, Ensign," Chakotay said to me.

"I see, sir," I replied, hanging my head low and about to turn away. Suddenly, sharply, his words penetrated my dour demeanor and I raised an eyebrow at him. "Would you care to repeat that, sir?" I asked tentatively, hoping I wasn't dreaming.

"I said," Chakotay said, a whimsical smile barely breaking the surface of his lips, "I think you've earned a shot at the bridge. Seven of Nine has been sending me reports on your work. She thinks you're, quote, 'more than adequate; his assigned tasks are always carried out in an efficient manner'. If she thinks you're ready, that's more than enough for me."

The smile on my face was probably goofy as people stared at me all day, but we - I - didn't care. The first day I stepped out onto the bridge when Captain Janeway was there... well it was the highlight of my life up to that point. And my inaugural shift was not without drama. A hostile species attacked us. I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time, and managed to lock down a plasma conduit before it exploded. Unfortunately, the console I was working on shorted out, sending me sprawling on the floor with some minor electrical burns.

"Good work, Ensign," the Captain told me as I regained my feet. "That plasma conduit could have blown up half the bridge."

No, the second sentence was added by my own imagination. I was rather groggy and was sent immediately to Sick Bay where several others were already being treated. "Hmm, I see you're not the only one choosing to play hero, Ensign," the surly doctor told me as he scanned my wounds. "You should be all right, so long as you don't do battle with anymore exploding consoles."

"Th

2. LordNyax113

LordNyax113 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2007
    :) Ohhh, good start! Chakotay is nailed down well with your chosen dialogue.

3. Kurdt_Kobain

May 4, 2008
    Thank you LordNyax, I hope you enjoy the next part. :)

~*~**~*~

Upon being released from Sick Bay, it was off to have some of Neelix's special soup - I feared to ask what was in anything Neelix served, figuring discretion was the better part of valor, but this particular soup was a favorite of mine. Though I could never remember the name of this concoction, Neelix always knew what I meant when I asked for it.

As I passed through the doors, there seemed to be an inordinate amount of eyes on me, but I disregarded it as my imagination. "Hey Neelix, got any of that soup?"

"Coming right up, Ensign," he beamed in his usual hearty manner. In moments I had a steaming bowl with several wheat crackers and was sitting down at my usual table. The view of space was especially sweet because *compensating... recoding... reinitialize* I was seeing it as though it was for the first time again. I had just done something important and helped my family.

"Ensign," we heard a familiar voice as I enjoyed a spoonful. It was Neelix.

"Have a seat," I said, smiling at the Talaxian.

"I don't know if you've noticed, Ensign, but everyone seems to be watching you," Neelix said.

"They're not all watching me," I said, looking around. "Why would everyone look at me? I didn't do anything." To my chagrin, I discovered that several crewmembers [i]were[/i] in fact looking in my general direction, though they did glance away when I saw them.

"Not what I've heard. Tom Paris told me if you hadn't stopped that overload in time, the entire bridge crew would be dead."

I refused to believe that I had done anything out of the ordinary and merely shook my head. "Believe what you will, Neelix, anyone there would have done the same thing."

"Ensign." This voice was music to my ears. A poet might say it sounded like a chorus of angels, or some such, but I'm not a poet. I turned my head and my eyes slid up the curves of the vivacious Seven of Nine. "Ensign, you are staring," she said.

"Sorry," I said and stood up. "Would you care to join me?"

"No, I have already taken my nutritional supplement. I came here to ask if you would assist me in astrometrics when you finish your meal. We are entering an area of space with many stars and I require assistance in scanning for planets that may have raw materials Voyager might find useful."

"Why do you need my help?" I foolishly asked; I'd forget my own name when Seven was around.

"You are trained in geology, are you not?" she asked, raising her eyebrow, the one that still had the Borg interface.

I could feel my lashes batting rapidly against the soft flesh below my eyes. For the first time, I had to actually think about my place on [i]Voyager[/i]. I was a science officer. My specialty was in fact geology. "Of course, Seven, I was just seeing if you knew." I bit my tongue after that horrible sentence came out. Obviously she knew what I was trained in.

"Then I shall see you in astrometrics in short order." Seven turned and sauntered away. Well, it wasn't really sauntering I guess.

Needless to say, I gulped down my soup as fast as was humanly possible and hurried away with a pleasant nod to Neelix. I was expecting ? hoping ? the astrometrics bay would be nearly empty, but to my disappointment, Harry Kim and Tom Paris were there as well.

"Well, Harry, look who it is," Paris spoke up, nudging Kim, "the new wonder kid is here. Better make way, he'll be Captain some day."

"If I am Captain one day," I snapped at him, "I'll throw you back in the brig." Tom Paris seemed like a nice guy to his friends, but he was rarely nice to the junior officers, at least in my experience and I was more than happy to give it right back to him.

"Come on, Harry," Paris huffed, "I have better things to do with my time."

When they were gone, I took up my usual position, next to Seven and tapped into the long range sensors. The first few systems we scanned turned out t

4. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    *gasps* Don't be mean to my Tommy! :p
    I've always been rather taken with Tom Paris.

So, I'm confused. This Ensign is different. I kept having the feeling he's part Borg and doesn't know it. [face_thinking]
    Would you PM when you update? Intriguing this is. :p

5. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I love The Ensign's pov of everyone. Great characterizations. :)

6. Kurdt_Kobain

May 4, 2008
    Ceillean - *gasps* Don't be mean to my Tommy! - I promise I'll try. :D

So, I'm confused. This Ensign is different. I kept having the feeling he's part Borg and doesn't know it. - Heh heh.

Would you PM when you update? Intriguing this is. - Danke :)

Sara_Kenobi - I love The Ensign's pov of everyone. Great characterizations. - Thank you. :)

~*~**~*~

In the morning, I completed my usual tasks ? sonic shower, dressing and dining on field rations ? before hurrying to the nearest turbolift for my second day on the bridge. I was the first one there for the shift change and immediately went to my science station and began running scans for anomalies or potential dangers. It wasn't long before the rest of the bridge crew arrived, Commander Chakotay giving me a pleasant nod as he passed.

I wasn't in much of a position to see what was going on with the Captain, but she had her hands full. There was another attack by a species I didn't recognize. Whoever they were, they managed to shut down our shields with a charged pulse of a particle we couldn't identify. Thankfully, Mr. Tuvok reinitialized the shields and we were successful in defeating this adversary.

After the battle, Captain Janeway and Commander Chakotay went into the ready room while we effected repairs. When Chakotay came out, he came over to my station. "How are the repairs coming along, Ensign?"

"Very well, sir," I replied, wondering why he was wasting time speaking with me.

"The Captain wants me to put together a science team to investigate this unusual particle and see if we can counter its effects."

"A good idea, Commander." I didn't get it.

"I'd like you to lead that team."

I turned around in my seat and stared at him for a moment. Apparently my jaw was hanging open because he smirked and asked, "If that's all right with you."

I shook off my disbelief pretty quickly ? it was what I'd been trained for after all. "My apologies, sir. But certainly there are more experienced officers to take charge."

"But none who are as specialized as you are, Ensign," Chakotay seemed adamant. "You were here on the bridge when this weapon was first used, you no doubt scanned the enemy vessel as it attacked. I believe you are the most qualified to lead this team."

"Thank you, sir. I won't let you down," I said and turned back to my station to download sensor information to a datapad so I could study it.

"Why don't you assemble your team and get to work right away," Chakotay said as Captain Janeway returned to the bridge and glanced in our direction.

"Request permission to bring Seven of Nine into the team, sir," I asked, my mouth watering at the thought of spending more time with her.

"Request denied, Ensign," Chakotay replied sadly. "Unfortunately, her time is best spent in her current duties. But any other science officers and crewmen are fair game."

"Understood," I said, standing and taking my datapad to the turbolift.

*Three of Six, Secondary Adjunct of Unimatrix zero zero nine compensating... memory functions automatically restoring*

The problem was that this particle was able to slip in and out of subspace. It was useful because it disrupted the electrical pulses from the shield emitters, effectively leaving us defenseless. However, we discovered that this particle could be manipulated by a simple burst of 'right quarks'. This would activate the particles inside the enemy ships and work against them.

Our science team named this new particle 'Kyleclon' after me, Kyle Cobain. I smiled briefly before dismissing the team and heading to astrometrics to finish up my report ? and see Seven. Before I could get there, however, Chakotay stepped into the turbolift with me.

"Finished already, Ensign?" he asked as he looked over my shoulder at my datapad.

"Just need to formulate it into a final report, sir," I beamed. "I think we've found a good defense to this kind of attack."

"'Kyleclon'? Who came up with that name?"

I could feel the blood rushing to my cheeks. "Several of our team, Commande

7. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    And now he's confusing me even more!
    Maybe he's remembering, though. Maybe he was assimilated and now he's malfunctioning and he's remembering hs time on Voyager? [face_thinking]

Regt zum Nachdenken an. :p

Great update and thanks for the PM!

8. Kurdt_Kobain

May 4, 2008
    And now he's confusing me even more!
    Maybe he's remembering, though. Maybe he was assimilated and now he's malfunctioning and he's remembering hs time on Voyager? [face_thinking] - I think you may be on to something. :D Just don't tell anyone. :p [face_shhh]

Regt zum Nachdenken an. :p - I am happy to give you motivation to think. :D

Great update and thanks for the PM! - You are very welcome.

An update will be coming in a couple of days. :)

9. PetraKenobi

PetraKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    Randomly came into this section of FF and saw the title *Voyager's my favorite ST series* so I thought I'd read it. You've done really well with getting the characters right. I honestly could hear Chakotay and Tom say their lines, lol.

10. LordNyax113

LordNyax113 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2007
    Keep it up, very enjoyable.

BTW, I have a Star Trek index if you wish to index this story. Just find the thread in NSWFF Resource and follow the instructions.

11. Kurdt_Kobain

May 4, 2008
    PetraKenobi - You've done really well with getting the characters right. I honestly could hear Chakotay and Tom say their lines, lol.

Thank you. :)

LordNyax113 - Keep it up, very enjoyable.

And thank you again.

More on the way.

~*~**~*~

I had to admit, in the Delta Flyer, Lieutenant Paris was in his element. He was a first rate pilot and I didn't begrudge him this. The atmosphere of the large hunk of rock threw us around violently, but he kept the ship together. It was just Paris, Commander Chakotay, Seven and me on this simple survey mission and we weren't expecting any trouble. However, fate had something else in mind.

"Commander," Paris spoke up with his concerned voice, "I'm reading a large concentration of debris on the surface."

"A downed ship?" the Commander asked.

I immediately began scanning. "The debris has the consistancy of a Borg vessel," I said, a lump forming in my throat.

"Is there any sign of life?" Chakotay asked, uncertainty in his voice.

"No sir," I replied confidently. "This appears to be the remains of a centuries old crash. The atmosphere is too corrosive even for the Borg to survive for that long."

"Then we continue with the mission," the Commander said. "Tom, put us down near the crash site ? maybe we can salvage some Borg technology while we survey the dilithium deposits."

Seven and I exchanged glances as the ship continued to descend. Subtly, I reached into one of the cabinets and pulled out a medikit. The medical tricorder had a supply of nanoprobes in it; I'd been working by myself in secret on a theory. Even though we were clear of Borg space, it never hurt to be prepared. I was hoping Seven's nanoprobes could be used to counter Borg nanoprobes and allow someone to remain an individual while assimilation took place ? in order to await rescue. I'd hoped to never have to prove my theory correct. As we landed, I modified the nanoprobes according to my theory and stuck the hypospray into my kit in case we encountered problems.

"Commander," Seven spoke up, "I recommend one team be despatched to the Borg vessel to scan for anything useful while the other team proceeds to the concentration of dilithium. It will save time and limit our exposure to the atmosphere."

"A good idea, Seven," Chakotay answered. "I want you and Ensign Cobain to survey the dilithium deposits while Tom and I check out the wreckage."

It was a sound idea and I couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief that I wasn't going to the Borg ship. There was a craggy mass of rock in the opposite direction from the debris field where the best readings for dilithium were, and Seven and I headed out that way. It was a tough climb in spots and I was more than impressed at Seven's physical prowess.

The atmosphere was playing havoc with our tricorders, limiting their effectiveness to only a dozen meters ? except for the dilithium which was in great concentrations and easier to detect. I kept getting spectres ? what I called anomalous readings that randomly showed up in different places and looked like humanoids ? but I dismissed them, so certain there was no life on this desolate planet.

A cavern presented itself to us, and Seven determined there was loose dilithium that would not require any kind of mining for us to collect inside. She was sure, so I followed her, rather than contacting the Commander, against my better judgement.

Shadows danced off the jagged walls as we descended deeper. A few noises caught our attention but neither of us were willing to turn around when the dilithium readings were getting stronger. Coming out into an open area, we were surprised by a tiny red laser light in the distance.

We drew our weapon and approached the source of light. "Ensign, do not proceed further," Seven admonished sternly.

"Relax, Seven," I said, curiosity outweighing our fear, "there are no life signs here." My wrist light shown on a dessicated corpse of a drone and all the air poured from my lungs in relief. "See, it's dead."

Just then, a forcefield activated, blocki

12. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    :eek: More soon? [face_batting]
    I like the Ensign. I hope he'll be alright in the end.
    But I have a feeling my theory is correct... but maybe the Voyager crew will save him...

Great update!

13. PetraKenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    I'm beginning to think that he's assimilated but he's remembering how he was assimilated....hmm, this is truly a Star Trek story, if you know what i mean. ;) :p

14. Kurdt_Kobain

May 4, 2008
    Ceillean - I like the Ensign. I hope he'll be alright in the end. - only time will tell. :D

PetraKenobi - this is truly a Star Trek story, if you know what i mean. - well thank you... I think. :p

This has been a very good experience for me with a wonderful audience: I thank you for reading and I hope to do it again sometime. :) And here is what you have been waiting for... the last post.

~*~**~*~

As we reached the downed Borg vessel, our modifications were completed *deleting subroutines... deleting source code* and we had our special weapon. The information on how to adapt the phasers was safely stored on our datapad for future reference.

We entered the wreckage and found a pathway that led to an upper level. It was what we feared: Seven was surrounded by forcefields and drones. We watched, helpless, as her phaser shots were absorbed by the drones' personal shields.

Seven saw us and we could see something in her eye - she wanted us to save her, she was afraid of being assimilated again. We couldn't blame her. Looking around, we saw a control panel and attempted to interface with it to shut down the forcefields. A drone came from an adjacent room and we fired; the shot penetrated the personal shield and the drone fell, dead.

The console we worked on was locked out; only drones would have the correct encryption codes. A door opened, but before we could fire, Tom Paris stepped out, a partially assimilated Chakotay hanging on his shoulder. "Ensign, what are you doing here?" Paris asked.

We pointed down below. "Trying to free Seven." A simple thought crossed our minds. "Leave. Go back to the Flyer and get it ready to take off."

"Last time I checked, I was the ranking officer here," Paris replied.

"Last time I checked, you had enough problems holding the Commander," we answered, using the hypospray on Chakotay.

"What did you do?" Paris asked.

"I gave him a dose of Seven's nanoprobes modified to fight the Borg. If you get him back to Voyager fast enough, the Doctor should be able to save him. I have an idea to save Seven as well, but you need to trust me, Lieutenant and get away [i]now[/i]! You have your hands full with Chakotay, I'll get Seven out."

"All right," Paris replied after looking over the situation. "Get back to the Flyer as quick as you can." He grabbed the Commander around the waist.

"Here," I said, handing him the modified phaser, "I made some improvements ? it'll get you another two, maybe three shots."

He took it and then did something we never thought we would see Tom Paris do to us: he smiled. He and the Commander stumbled away and we approached the dead Borg. We only had one chance to free Seven of Nine, Tertiary Adjunct of unimatrix zero one. Bending over the fallen drone, we used the hypospray on ourselves, picked up the drone's wrist and put it up to our neck.

There was a burst of pain and the assimilation began. Immediately, command codes for the damaged vessel swarmed through the collective mind into our own. We tried to stay focused as we got to the console, thousands of voices coming together as one. We deactivated the nearest forcefield just before Seven was taken and she ran for it with all her speed. We closed the forcefield after she was through.

We tried to hurry, but only managed to fall down a lift shaft right in front of Seven.

"Ensign, you require assistance," she said, grabbing us up in her arms and trying to pull us up.

Before we could say anything, the Borg were approaching. We scrambled to our feet, and Seven helped us limp quickly toward the nearest exit. As freedom was within our grasp, another forcefield snapped into place, blocking the only way out.

Fumbling with our tricorder, we repeated the same move as before. "This looks like the end for me, Seven of Nine," we spoke, looking into her perfect blue eyes. "You can escape, as before." We handed her our datapad and medikit. "There are things the Borg should not be allowed to assimilate - things that will assist you and Voyager's crew in the future a

15. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    See, I knew it. But sad! :_| I can't imagine life as Borg to be fulfilling in any way.
    This hive mind telling you what to do and when; no emotions whatsoever. Just blankness controlling your way of living.

Poor Ensign. :( And here I'd hoped Voyager could still save him in the end.

Wonderful little story, Kurdt! I enjoyed it.
    If you write another Voyager story, feel free to PM me.

Maybe something with Tom in the leading role? :D

Great job!
    =D=

16. PetraKenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    or with Chakotay as the central character. ;)

good little story. :D

17. Kurdt_Kobain

May 4, 2008
    Ceillean - This hive mind telling you what to do and when; no emotions whatsoever. Just blankness controlling your way of living Yes, that is a pretty lousy way to exist

Maybe something with Tom in the leading role? Perhaps. :D Thank you for reading and enjoying. :)

PetraKenobi - or with Chakotay as the central character. I think I have something to appease both of you. ;)

Hopefully it will work out the way I want it to. :p

Thank you for reading and thank you to anyone who was lurking on this story. :)

18. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    :_|

But I loved this one. I'm a sucker for tragedy and a good Borg story. The characterization was great (I wish I could turn down a date with "I have already taken my nutritional supplement"), and the way the protagonist's story is interspersed with computer messages, and how at the end he starts referring to himself in the plural... so sad! I really got a feel for the kind of hell this guy is living, and how the only thing he has now is his ability to keep reminiscing on better times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.