main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars (2020 Post-TESB Series)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    This sounds like a great new series, should be exciting to see. I wonder how they'll deal with Luke and his lightsaber? In the original Marvel comics, he just had a lightsaber, without explaining if he recovered it or built a new one. If Soule is relying on deleted scenes, will he stick with Luke building a new one just before starting his rescue of Jan from Jabba's palace? That could mean Luke goes for the whole series without the signature weapon we associate with him.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope we see Vader reflecting on that moment from the last issue of Vader's Fortress.

King_Kenobi62 likes this.
  3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh never thought of that...Maybe more Lord Momin.

King_Kenobi62 and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Maybe he will in his series. We never really got into his head in the main series, as far as I can remember at least.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe, maybe not. I was thinking that moment when Vader saw Luke. Or the being of light at the end.

6. Crimson_Guard975

Crimson_Guard975 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 17, 2014
    The challenge there will be coming up with good villains for the more experienced Luke to lock sabers against, with Vader and Sidious dead. An Inquisitor or a Purge Trooper could probably have given the pre-ESB Luke some trouble, but the post-ROTJ Luke could probably eat them for breakfast. And all of the Inquisitors are likely dead too by this point. There is Snoke, of course, but after TLJ I get the sense that for all his Force powers, he might still be too "squishy" to give Luke a real fight on the level of Yoda vs Sidious.

Don't forget The Mandalorian. There's still some fairly fertile territory, though. Sloane survived the Aftermath trilogy. Ezra and Thrawn are still alive and can be brought back from the Unknown Regions. Luke mainly had cameos in the stories you mentioned, so there's a lot of wiggle room in depicting his post-ROTJ activities from his own perspective. Searching for Jedi lore alongside Ezra and Lor San Tekka, attempting (but ultimately failing) to rekindle that old romance with Camie Marstep, and dealing with his Chuck Norris like reputation in the New Republic. And last but not least, the Rise of Snoke. He somehow managed to earn the Skywalkers' trust for a while, by the time they realized his villainous true colors, it was too late. How'd he manage to pull that off? Definitely some story there. As well as how he outmaneuvered the actual founders of the First Order to become its Supreme Leader.

revan772 likes this.
  7. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Star Wars Age of Rebellion already depicted Luke using his greenlightsaber before ROTJ.

Vialco likes this.
  8. Doompup

Doompup Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    I’m pretty excited to see Soule’s take on Luke leveling up. Lightsaber construction aside, Luke comes into ROTJ with a big power up, and I would like to see where/how that happened. My main gripe about Shadows of the Empire is that we didn’t get much/any of that.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Vialco likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Soule has been one of my favourite writers on Star Wars and great to see him take the flashship title. It's interesting that the entire ST passed while the main book was still in the post ANH period so while this run probably won't be as long I'm thinking at least 24 issues, maybe 36 or more. There is a lot of ground to cover from post ESB to ROTJ and I have a feeling that we may see Xizor and a Shadows of the Empire show up again somehow. But even if we don't, it'll be cool to see Soule possibly pick up threads from his previous books like Lando (the Lobot dynamic with him was great and just seeing Lando evolve) and anything that Vader left behind (he did see Luke in the World Between Worlds or whatever it was in Fortress Vader at the end there).

Interesting note about the lightsaber, we've seen his green saber in the Age of Rebellion issue but Soule also mentions Lobot being captured in an ESB deleted scene as canon as well. Maybe Luke just built it in a different desert cave?

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  10. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Yep, that would be the simplest solution to that issue.

EDIT: Or rather, since 3P0 mentions they are in fact on Tatooine during that scene Luke could have just been repairing his lightsaber instead of building one... which actually makes a lot more sense.:p

11. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I can absolutely see Soule giving Luke an epic quest to obtain a crystal and build his saber, mirroring Vader's quest to do the same over in his Dark Lord of the Sith series. Maybe Obi-Wan's journal will come back into play at that point? (Or the components of Huulik's lightsaber, which he obtained back in Heir to the Jedi and possibly still has stashed somewhere...?)

12. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Huulik's lightsaber seems like it was introduced to set up where Luke's second crystal came from, but also I think we'd all like to see Luke have to go on a quest rather than just pull his replacement crystal out of a drawer somewhere. Two ideas!
    1 - It was in Luke's room at Echo Base and he has to go back and find it, setting up a recanonization of the One Arm fight from Darksaber.
    2 - Aphra stole it from him during the events of Screaming Citadel and The Gang has to chase her down.
    There's definitely a good reason Soule got this writing gig instead of me.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  13. Doompup

Doompup Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    Ever since seeing that cool Obi-wan Mythos figure with his own, Anakin’s, and Qui-gon’s sabers, it’s been headcanon for me that Luke’s green crystal was from Qui-gon’s lightsaber. I really like the idea considering Qui-gon’s connection to the Skywalker family.

CernStormrunner and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. Gantarat

Gantarat Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 19, 2019
    I hope The Ghost Crews appear and have interaction With Luke.

15. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    According to the solicitations, 2 issues will be released in January. No new information.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I hope Xizor and Dash appear. I want to break out my old Kenner figures now of them, and mix them in with Luke and co to play out new canon stuff. Also, from the interview on the op, if Dexter gets into this series and we get Xizor, with Soule writing it, I do not think Marvel will ever be able to top themselves again.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Exclusive: Our First Look at Star Wars #1 by Charles Soule and Jesus Saiz From Marvel in January
    It’s out in Marvel’s January 2020 solicits. Retailers will have to order it early as it’s coming in the first week of the New Year. Star Wars #1 by Charles Soule and Jesus Saiz. And Bleeding Cool has your first look at three unlettered pages from within. Feel free to extrapolate and speculate from what you see…

Set between Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi, we have Chewbacca chewing out Lando Calrissian, presumably over the fate of Han Solo, while Leia watches on… and Luke Skywalker looks rather depressed.

[​IMG]

While the only one Luke Skywalker can talk to his R2D2 – a boy and his droid…

[​IMG]

Well, he has just found out who his real dad is, and had got a hand chopped off … it suggests that maybe this opening scene of the comic book could be taking place before the final moments of Empire…

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Sugar me that last scene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Love the moody art.

20. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Charles Soule revealed the other day that he's "telling a ton of stories" with Shara Bey at the moment; considering he'd be writing this series currently, and Shara and Kes are active in the post-ESB period, it's a safe bet she might be appearing here.

chrcharcor2 likes this.
  21. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I hate that they are cancelling just to reboot it. Just put a "Next issue....Go watch ESB...then come back next month for what happens after that."

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  22. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    It's for publicity. Means more people will buy it, which means there's more chance of it continuing.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Issue #3 solicit.
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS #3
    CHARLES SOULE (W) • JESUS SAIZ (A) • CoverS by R.B. SILVA
    EMPIRE STRIKES BACK VARIANT COVER BY CHRIS SPROUSE
    VARIANT COVER BY EMA LUPACCHINO
    RETURN TO CLOUD CITY!
    • The end of the war and the final defeat of the REBEL ALLIANCE are inevitable as the cunning IMPERIAL COMMANDER ZAHRA unleashes her fury against the splintered and scattered survivors.
    • But where have the Rebellion’s greatest heroes gone when their cause needs them the most?
    • LUKE SKYWALKER’S only hope at becoming a JEDI KNIGHT was lost during his battle with DARTH VADER…and so he, PRINCESS LEIA and LANDO CALRISSIAN must return to CLOUD CITY to find it! But Leia has her own covert mission to accomplish there…and Lando’s mysterious reason for returning could very well ruin their only chance at success!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2019 Lucasfilm Ltd.

24. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Obviously, they're talking about his lightsaber. I hope he doesn't find it.

25. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    That solicit reminds me of
    the classic Marvel comics, which also featured a post-ESB return to Cloud City. This being Charles Soule, I'm looking forward to some interesting Lando / Lobot interaction. I wonder if Lando's "mysterious reason" for returning is to extract "Lo"?