main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars (2020 Post-TESB Series)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Serves him right for stealing Han's clothes. :p

3. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS #5

CHARLES SOULE (W) • JESÚS SAIZ (A) • Cover by R.B. SILVA
    EMPIRE STRIKES BACK VARIANT COVER BY CHRIS SPROUSE
    VARIANT COVER BY PATRICK ZIRCHER
    The next steps on Luke Skywalker’s search for Jedi wisdom begin here!
    • Following a mysterious vision he received on CLOUD CITY, Luke travels to a lost planet looking for a woman he believes may hold the key to his Jedi future and that of the entire Rebellion.
    • But will he arrive at his destination in time to learn what he needs... or will the evil DARTH VADER get there first?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2020 Lucasfilm Ltd.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    there's really nothing in Return of the Jedi that would preclude Luke getting a full PT / Anakin lore download in between the two movies (aside from the whole Darth Vader thing), heck, I'd think Luke finding all about it would reinforce the notion that he thinks there's still good in Vader. The reason he didn't know in the old EU between ESB and ROTJ is because the movies didn't quite exist yet when they were filling out that time period and the rest of the EU stuck with it.

Also of note in the Soule penned Kylo Ren series, Luke pointed out that he found the Jedi archives from the librarian Jedi lady (which we saw in Darth Vader Vol 2) so I think it's likely we'll see it here.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Xammer and Grievousdude like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [face_rofl]That solicit "evil Darth Vader" - is there anyone in the world who doesn't already know that Darth Vader is not a good guy?

Barriss_Coffee and Daneira like this.
  6. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Between this and the latest Vader comic, I'm glad we're finally getting some set up for Luke thinking there's a chance of redeeming Vader. Though it has admittedly has been a while since I read Shadows of the Empire, I don't think even that went into it much if at all.

Love it or hate it, the set up for Rey thinking she could turn Kylo back was at least explained with the Force Dyad link they had going on.

7. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Double post

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I really don't think Shadows had any reason for Luke to think Vader is good it was more of an adventure where Luke built his green lightsaber and got a cool vest and Xizor is a creep. We've had a lot of stories in this time period but I really don't think any of them have gone into "Why does Luke change his mind". That's a huge leap between the two films from a character POV.

Doompup likes this.
  9. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    "...or will that rapscallion DARTH VADER get there first?"

Obviously Marvel needs to hire me to write the solicits. [face_laugh]

10. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    That's a good point. Hmm. Whereas the prior series had more Luke/Vader interaction that I think it should have based on what ANH and ESB imply, in this series it seems like not a bad idea at all to delve in farther than the old EU did.

11. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    That's a good point. I do think since this volume will be his journey to ROTJ's opinion we'll see more training w/Yoda and possibly as someone mentioned seeing Jocasta's files. I do wonder also if we'll be lucky enough to see Ahsoka. I seriously doubt it but it'd be cool.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. TogashiAikune

TogashiAikune Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2004
    You know thinking about it, Soule also wrote the Obi-Wan and Anakin mini, which featured a "lost planet" and a certain woman who could reveal some information about a young, heroic Anakin to Luke which could help him come to believe there is still some good in Vader.

BigAl6ft6 and Grievousdude like this.
  13. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I have that series I'll have to go back and look for that.

14. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    This is a great point. Out-of-universe, it's clear that the idea of redeeming Vader came pretty late in the game, as it wasn't even really present in the earliest ROTJ scripts, let alone in Empire. And there's no particular reason for Luke to think it's possible other than 'Well, he's my dad'. It feels like there's a lot of potential to do stuff there which the old EU never did.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    More training with Yoda in between ESB and ROTJ isn't entirely impossible, although somewhat unlikely. Even communicating with Yoda in between ESB and ROTJ could happen, Luke would just have to keep his mouth shut about the whole Vader dad thing. Bit of a stretch, though.

16. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    It's a pretty tricky balance because ultimately it's hard to think of a *good* reason why Luke stays away from Dagobah for six months before going back. It's not like he spent every minute of the intervening period meticulously planning out the incredibly shoddy rescue plan they ultimately go with, and he clearly spends much of it training and become more self-confident as a Jedi. Why he didn't pop to Yoda's a few days after Cloud City is a bit odd.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Well Yoda said "Don't go" and Luke didn't listen so maybe he feels some embarrassment for trying and failing. He needs a win and wants to save his friend first before going back to face his master.

Or maybe we see Luke and Yoda speak through the Force and Luke's instructed to save his friend as his next trial.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 and Xammer like this.
  18. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Re: Issue #2
    1. Mission 1: Lando to get info about Han
    2. Mission 2: The Fate of the Rebellion
    3. Mission 3: What's next?
    • 1. Lando runs into Imperial trouble above Tatoonie and is saved by pirates
    • He makes a deal with them saying he'll cut them into his tibanna gas deal with Jabba
    • He gets an audience with Jabba, but Jabba knows about the Empire and Cloud City so Lando has nothing to bargain with. He ultimately promises Rebellion related intel to Jabba and Jabba lets him go
    • Ultimately, we learn that Boba Fett still has Han and hasn't delivered him to Jabba yet
    • 2. The Rebellion is spread across the galaxy and if they contact each other then the Empire tracks both cells, so they're kind of stuck.
    • There is some sort of plan called Operation Starlight to potentially meet a huge space station that was used in parts of the galaxy during the "High Republic" era when things weren't established as they were now - in other words, it sounds like they're going to use a space station as a "lighthouse" to join the Rebel Fleet back together
    • 3. Luke is still shaken from his battle with Vader. He even considers not getting or even needing a new hand. (The events of ESB are not shown but implied).
    • Luke and Lando have a chat while Luke is doing target practice with his new hand. Lando mentions that he knows where his lightsaber (and hand are) back on Bespin. Luke has a vision of someone in a cloak telling him to follow his destiny. (Personally, it looks like it could be Luke having a vision of himself similar to Rey having visions of her destiny, that we didn't see, in TROS).

19. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Force ghost of Mace Windu?

You can’t exactly make out the shade of skin of the Jedi Ghost’s arm, and there’s a glove covering his hand, the same one that Anakin cut off. Mace was the guy who was physically present for Anakin turning to the dark side.

only problem being Mace will not be able to tell Luke that Anakin is his father because Yoda is the one to divulge it in Jedi. Unless it was simply Luke trying to get Yoda to tell the truth to make sure Windu wasn’t some dark side trickery, or just admit he was covering it up.

EDIT: counter-theory: the mysterious Jedi is Last Jedi era luke because force ghosts exists outside of space and time

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  20. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    I'm not sure if it is a force ghost or not. In the ST we saw that Jedi spirits can interact physically with their surroundings, but that was on an island of the force. If they can do that anywhere, then why could Obi-Wan not help Luke against Vader?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Vialco likes this.
  21. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I feel like this arc will ultimately come Original Trilogy Luke vs Sequel Trilogy Luke. The ghosts only intervene if it’s absolutely necessary. You get this sequel trilogy Luke who gave up and recovered encouraging his younger self to keep going

22. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    The solicitations might give a clue to the identity of the mysterious person.

23. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    I still think its a female Jedi

24. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    I wonder if this volume will mention that Leia met Maz who gave her the idea of the Boushh costume and also the Bothan’s mission to obtain the DS2 plans?

25. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    The Boushh thing was covered in Forces of Destiny. The Bothans might be involved, though they only gave the Alliance intel; no plans were stolen.

Darth Corydon and Daneira like this.