main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #56-61: The Escape (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Nov 9, 2018.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Others are thinking the same as you.

2. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    I don't think any of this is connected to the mandolorian but thats mostly cause I head canon him being Unhinged Korkie Kryze

3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I'm getting Most Dangerous Game vibes. Hidden weaponry probably won't get Luke to trust Thane, but to be fair Luke has his lightsaber and Thane seems like the type who has seen a lot in his life and might know exactly what it is.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
  5. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    It is so refreshing to see Han and Leia being nice to each other. I am so thankful that we are done with Aaron’s run for that single aspect alone. Too bad it took 3 arcs to repair the damage that had been done. But I really think that Gillen has salvaged their relationship to the point that how they act in ESB to each other is now believable in context of this comic.

Now...how is it that they listened about swapping out the artist, but are still making the same mistakes? The art in this preview has some horrid panels with Han. It’s like Marvel “listened” that we wanted a new artist, but they didn’t “hear” why we wanted the switch.

MARVEL! Stop using artists who are going to TRACE for 90% of the issue. HOW else can I get this message through your eyes and ears, and into your brain, instead of it just rattling around in your ear canals/eye sockets?

SilentGuy66, spicer, Daneira and 2 others like this.
  6. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Between the disappointment of the art and the sort of wheel-spinning plot bits (and without as much compensatory character development stuff as I'd like), this arc isn't doing much for me. Especially with the Vader and Aphra books being on fire right now.

This sort of "our heroes visit a planet that's not what it seems" thing is like something the original Marvel books would have done in one issue. It's a bit drawn out and without much of a hook. If the art was better, I wouldn't mind as much, I'm sure.

7. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    The hook is probably the advancement of Han x Leia and Luke getting a new love interest which is fine but I agree its spinning its wheels until scar squadron returns

8. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Yeah, those are weak hooks, at least as they're being presented. "Beefcake Han" being part of Leia's gravitation to him just doesn't track, and Luke's love interest hasn't really become that after two issues, and where would that be going anyway?

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Interesting change of pace after they basically spent 6 issues getting smacked by Darth Vader. Gillen mentioned in the letter col. that this arc is an attempt at what if they were actually happy, what would it look like? Well, I'm guessing the guy will end up hunting them for sport anyway. Or the Empire will show up in the end.

Angel's art looks like his Poe Dameron stuff, it's very dynamic but sometimes you can see the photo reference he's taking.

10. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    Beefcake han was just there as a parallel to ben swolo in TLJ but I agree and it will probably end up with her betraying him or getting killed too early to give him a semi permit love interest.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I legitimately hope the planet they're on are, like, cannibals. That would be dope.

Also threepio is going to get his new legs from these cannibals? are they going to make sure one leg is still sliver?

12. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Seems like an intentional reference. I'm, uh, not optimistic about how this is gonna turn out.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, but you see, you bought the issue thus proving that photo-referenced art invoking the movies is wanted thus encouraging continuation of the practice.

Marvel's priority tends to be the present, thus they prioritise the issue being got out quick. In order for that to happen artistic shortcuts are going to be taken and may even be at the request of editorial. If it was a style choice purely by Larroca it would have changed but it hasn't, which suggests it is a job requirement the artist has to fulfill. Artists are not free agents on this kind of work, they are hired to do stuff, that's it.

vong333 likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Doubled

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  15. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    • More gratuitous shirtlessness. This time it's Markona and Luke.
    • Ooh, Markona's mother / Tula's grandmother was a Jedi who left the Order.
    • Lol, that panel of Han all pumped to be invited into Leia's room.
    • Legless Threepio has a hoverchair now and now all I can think about is Hissa.
    There was a lot I liked about the art -- the inking and coloring, the lighting and shading, the pretty scenery --
    -- but the continued tracing...

16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest
    @AdmiralNick22
    3/5 released

Concerning #58
    Art wise, it isn't perfect but the tracing and coloring of the film scans look WAY better in comparison to whatever they were doing before.

Story wise, I want to hear more about Markona's mother / Tula's grandmother too. I think Tula mentions she taught Markona everything he knows so I wonder if we'll see that they might be Force sensitive as well and they aren't bad people, just really well hidden refugees. Unfortunately, their mercenary background has me worried and Markona is not afraid that Luke trains with a live lightsaber. You can't stay sharp and make a living totally cut off from the rest of the galaxy for months at a time so there is definitely more going on than it appears.

I do like seeing Luke get some "professional" saber training before he faces Vader in ESB.

I do like the idea of Leia not wasting time and wanting to take an offensive against Trios.

Han letting his guard down and starting to fall for the Princess, and her a bit too, also feels consistant with the bigger picture that is coming when we get to ESB.

Overall, I liked that this issue pushed the plot forward and I'm definitely looking forward to the next part of the story where **** is going to hit the fan because of Luke activating the transmitter.

17. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    What? Planetary economies still exist in Star Wars. They don’t NEED to trade with the Galaxy to survive.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

18. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I don't think they need to trade, but I was speaking about their ties to being a mercenary or mercenary clan. They need to stay skilled in their art which is usually taking on a task/job despite the ethics involved. Hunting the predators of the planet is only going to keep you sharp against beasts of that nature, and not a human or other new beasts one may encounter. It's like when Han gave Luke that back handed compliment when he deflected the three shots from the training ball in ANH. "...good against the living, that's something else."

Also, they have pretty cool looking armor and such, which Markona doesn't need against the giant animals in this comic. And he also keeps hidden weapons attached to his body in his casual clothes as well, so I'm just saying there's more going on with this people than what is on the surface.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Daneira likes this.
  19. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    What are the odds this mysterious grandmother is one of the ambiguous canon "Lost Twenty"?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  20. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I'd assume she'd have to be, wouldn't she? Voluntarily leaving the Jedi Order would count her as one, perhaps as #19.

Darth_Accipiter likes this.
  21. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    In legends at least the Lost Twenty were the Jedi Masters that left for ideological reasons.
    It's possible that canon will make it any Jedi, but it seems odd that in the long history of the Jedi only twenty total left the order.
    I can buy Masters, cause you don't get there without some major commitment. Knights, not so much.

I think it would be cool if she was #19. I always wanted them to fill out the list of those who left before Dooku. Tula is Lukes age, so I expect Thane is in his forties at least. So his mother would probably have had to leave the order a good twenty years before ROTS.
    Interesting to think about.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  22. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Is Han lying, or is it just a gaffe?

"I enlisted to fly TIE fighters so I could get off Corellia."

Get off? He was trying to get back to Corellia!

23. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    He’s lying. Did you see the very next part? He tells Leia there was a girl and immediately backs off. “It wasn’t like that”.

Sure Han. Even Leia sees right through that.
    Han knows it’s not good to talk about your exes when you are trying to get lucky.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  24. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Han's not entirely lying though, is he? Yes, he did want to return for Qi'ra, but in the short term his goal was to escape from Lady Proxima by getting off Corellia and becoming a pilot. Enlisting ended up being a more-or-less convenient way to do that.

Daneira likes this.
  25. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Han should've also corrected Leia and said the Imperial Army and the Stormtrooper Corps are different branches.