main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #56-61: The Escape (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    he might be Revising the truth now that whatever happened after solo with qi'ra happened

2. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Didn’t he tell the enlistment officer that the reason he wanted to join was so he could get back to Corellia? I may be misremembering.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  3. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    No, you remember right.

There are two plausible explanations as to why Han is saying that:
    1) His reasons for going back to Corellia were made redundant by Qi'ra's "betrayal". He probably doesn't want to remember the first love he ever had leaving him and has created a lie he wants to believe in. Considering conditions on Corellia wouldn't be lost on someone like Leia, she'd probably believe it as well.
    2) It has been 13-15 years since he left Corellia (depends when this falls, Wookieepedia says 1 ABY, I place it between 1 and 2 ABY), maybe he's forgotten the reason. Not all of us can remember what happened 13-15 years ago (I wish I didn't most of the time).

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Han's shout out to his Imperial days was pretty great, probably the best thing he learned from it as he mentioned was getting his gear together quickly. The art was okay this issue, better than the last one, funny shot of Han reaching for his jacket on the 2nd last page. I saw Luke seemed to freak out when Leia mentioned staying longer which seems like an overreaction (and Han calls him out) but as mentioned Luke is going stir crazy cuz it reminds him of Tatoonie too much. And he is a Skywalker, being quick to anger isn't exactly out of his bloodline. honestly Luke snapping to Artoo "With Me. Now." was probably the meanest I've seen Luke ever be to Artoo which was kind of shocking. :(

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  5. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Preview for #59 is up.

Brace yourself before you click, friend. *rattle rattle rattle*
    I am looking forward to seeing where the story and the characters go in this issue but sheesh, the tracing is always so distracting!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    tatooinesandworm and chrcharcor2 like this.
  6. chrcharcor2

chrcharcor2 Jedi Knight

Apr 27, 2015
    That IS some intense tracing.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I liked the artist more on Poe Dameron than on this run but it's been literally 3 issues, I can give them an arc or two

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You're both aware that editorial sign off on the art, right? That artists aren't free agents on work-for-hire gigs, yes? That combined with the twice a month releases and no platoon system of artists, which is what DC has been doing for the last couple of years on Rebirth, mean the single penciler is going to get it done by whatever methods they can - if that means tracing, visual referencing and other short cuts they'll do it because they have to submit the work on time.

9. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    I'm aware. I wasn't so much a few years ago, when I regularly bitched up a storm about Larroca, but I am now. And I feel bad that the artists are under such time pressure. The result is still distracting to me though. I'm annoyed with Marvel for scheduling/squeezing their artists to the point where they feel the need to resort to that, not with Angel for doing it.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    vncredleader, spicer, Ben09 and 3 others like this.
  10. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I may have worded my criticism improperly, however, the intent behind the message still stands. How can I express to Marvel my desire for no tracing on the main line book? If it takes old fashioned pen and paper, I will do it. I just don’t want to spout off into the Twitter void and come across as petulant.

Exactly.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    My principle objection to your post was that artists aren't the ones with the power, they're not setting the rules and the system so it strikes me as unfair to slate them for simply doing their job.

As to how to influence Marvel, my view is they only listen to sales and money. However, in a digital world, sending a letter might well get more attention as it took more time to send - particularly a legible, handwritten one. (I'd be fine at doing handwriting, legibility? Not so much.)

This is a much better presentation of the issue.

12. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    To be honest, if it's all about the timetable, I'd prefer a stylized, sketchy or even cartoonish look for the art over the tracing. I'm sure that depending on what form that took, either too "artsy" or too "kiddie", it would have its detractors as well, but... perhaps not as many as the tracing approach, if the general vibe around here is any indication. Which I acknowledge it may not be, but I for one would prefer the same level of plot/scripting illustrated in the style of, say, SWA over the tracing stuff. It's just more dynamic. Or hell, just longer shots of the characters and less dependence of facial detail, in favor of composition. Whether it's editorial policy or not, what effort IS being expended is just focused on the wrong visual priorities.

Vthuil, Jedi Ben, Senpezeco and 3 others like this.
  13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Not sure if Luke or Dr. Evazan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  14. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I just want to know who they’re using for the non-film characters. Like, who was Larocca’s model for Queen Trios?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    I just want to know who they’re using for the non-film characters. Like, who was Larocca’s model for Queen Trios?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Generally the artists on the miniseries are all pretty good and I don't remember them taking much time. Aphra alternates between 2 artists and they're both freakin' great.

Larocca I thought worked really, really well on Darth Vader because it's basically just Vader over and over, certain angles to increase menace.

I would love it if Giuseppe Camuncoli moved over to the main book cuz he's great and on time but looks like it won't happen. Doesn't want to dilute this great 25 straight issues of Vader there.

tatooinesandworm and Vialco like this.
  18. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    Aphra does look great, Vader was terrific for its whole run. All the series look pretty good and some are fantastic from time to time. The only one I can remember being not so great (other than the main flippin' series) was the Mace Windu mini. That was pretty much made up for by Age of Republic.

BigAl6ft6 and Daneira like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What's strange about the art and a clear direction in imagery is it's only on certain books. It seems to be on those with movie characters thus the main SW book and Poe.

20. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    You're completely right. Which makes one wonder if it's more an LFL than Marvel directive? And maybe even one that continues because LFL gets less direct fan blowback about it than Marvel?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest
    @AdmiralNick22
    4/5 released

Concerning #59
    I felt there was a lot of talking in this one and little to no action at all until the end. Normally that's fine when it pushes the plot along, but the plot didn't get push anywhere. A lot of things came to light / bubbled to the surface to result in zero pay off in this issue at all.

The art was okay, but all the new characters look untrustworthy by default just by the way they're drawn. It's really hard to get a read off of 2D representation off of new characters, but when they're drawn a certain way, I tend to lean one way or another. As mentioned above, the art in the Aphra comic is definitely better.

I didn't realize there's only one more issue left in this arc, but it feels like there's a lot more stuff that has to happen until we get some closure on the events of the previous arc "Hope Dies".

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  22. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I'm all for more Kreel, but how the heck is his windpipe in tact following Crait? Did... did Vader let him go?
    I think that since he survived Crait, it's a guarantee now that the crystal in Kreel's saber is going to end up in Luke's possession for his RotJ saber.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 and chrcharcor2 like this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The front end of the issue has Han's shoot-out which was actually great cuz the art of Han asking the boss to intervene was pretty funny, didn't know Han's blaster has a stun setting. The arrival of Scar Squad at the end was an unexpected twist and, hey, lightsaber fight so I'm down!

24. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    For me, Kreel and Luke can duel only so many times before it loses all menace and appeal -- so I'm wondering what Gillen will do with Kreel in the next two issues. Will he finally die? Defect? Attempt to redeem himself in some manner? I can't really imagine Vader letting him off with his life again should he return from yet another failed extraction.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah this is the Final Scar Squadron storyline or at least Kreel I'm guessing