main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #62-67: The Scourging of Shu-Torun (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TiniTinyTony , Feb 11, 2019.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Solicit Synopsis
    THE SCOURGING OF SHU-TORUN: ROAD TO REVENGE!
    • How is LEIA going to scourge SHU-TORUN?
    • She’ll need an all-star team...
    • ...and a plan they won’t see coming!

Following the events that began in "Hope Dies" and
    continuing into the most recent arc "The Escape" it appears that the Rebellion is about to go on the offensive, but the path to victory won't be simple as they are probably planning based on information in the final chapter of "The Escape". [see issue #61]

The next chapter of the Star Wars saga tentatively starts on March 6th. I wanted to create this thread so everyone can speculate and talk about the new arc here so those who are still reading the previous arc don't get spoiled by future events.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  2. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Info and links, old and new:

3. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    My goodness, that art is awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I do like the shout out to The Star Wars though.

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'll admit, I chuckled at seeing humans acting in costume as Mon Calamari.

--Adm. Nick

6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I miss Giuseppe....

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    You can't repel thespians of that magnitude!

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh dear, it really is. I had thought it had gotten better, or at least there seemed to be less complaints, but this? It combines the awful colouring with a style I don't like the look of.

Starting to think I should jump off the OHCs for the main book with the last one that finished Aaron's run now.

9. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    If it's any comfort, Andrea Broccardo is only on this arc for #62, then it's back to Angel Unzueta. But maybe it's not any comfort for those who didn't care for Unzueta's art on the previous arc. :p

Someone on Reddit pointed out that Han is wearing his jacket from Solo. I wasn't observant enough to pick up on that, but I think I noticed something else fun:

I didn't really care for Tunga in his previous appearances... guess I'll see if I enjoy him more in this arc. His prop fluorescent lampsaber is kinda funny. Anyway, his Luke costume reminds me of Ralph McQuarrie's concept design (minus the breath mask, of course). So, thank you Broccardo, or Gillen, or whoever proposed using that look, because I love that design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  10. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    Ugh, of course I only realize after the edit window ran out... that's the shout out to The Star Wars that Todd mentioned. DPing to say sorry, I'm a doofus. :oops:

11. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    The other two costumes are likewise the early versions of Han (I think? Post-being-a-big-green-dude) and Leia, Princess of Aquilae.

Han's also wearing his Solo shirt under his Solo jacket. I'm surprised it still fits considering he's grown about a foot since then ;)

BigAl6ft6 and Senpezeco like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    How's the colouring been generally? As that what jumps out at me on preview pages - they clearly want to take advantage of new tech possibilities, but they just don't seem to have got to grips with it and all kinds of weird results ensue.

13. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    Hmm... Guru-eFX has been the colorist since the "Ashes of Jedha" arc (#38-onward). I wonder how much he has to adapt his approach and technique to mesh well with each artist and their way of doing things, and how difficult I imagine it can be to do that -- e.g., Larroca colors some faces himself; Unzueta turns in grays with his inks; dunno if Broccardo sends just B&W or something further.

14. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    is the series ending with issue 67 then? Or are they going to continue it?

15. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    No reason at this point to think the series won't just continue on with a different writer, but there's been at least one published rumor out there claiming they'll end after this arc and restart at #1. If they plan on doing that (and I hope not) I imagine they'll have to announce something pretty soon.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If Marvel are planning anything, they won't be able to keep it quiet. So yeah, ought to be some actual news as oppose to bullcrap rumours.

The bigger deal to me is who follows Gillen as writer. I'd love it to be either Houser or Thompson.

17. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I'd be happy with either, but Soule occupies the top slot on my wish list. (Actually, Jason Aaron occupies the real top slot - but I'm not sure it's realistic to expect him to return. Then again, it is a wish list...)

18. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Soule, Houser, Thompson or Cates (if he can handle it untop of the marvel stuff he's doing , he's quickly becoming there go to guy besides Aaron and we need some new blood in the writers that do the Star Wars ip for marvel and I think he'd kill it from what fire he's been writing for venom. ) I'd also Welcome Al Ewing to the Star Wars line if he could bring the respect and reference but intriguing new take style of immortal hulk to Star Wars (thou knowing how much of a continuity scholar he is he'd somehow reference the most obscure legends stuff and weave it back into nu canon )

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    wow, Han got a lot of wear out of that jacket :D I also like Tunga. He's funny. Lots of good tidbits in this issue. The setup has me very interested in the coming battle. The inclusion of the Partisans surprised me, but it makes a lot of sense seeing as they're probably the easiest to locate manpower sympathetic (although not friendly) to the Rebel Alliance. I find the Cult of the Central Isopter to be a hilarious bunch. Non challantly arriving to the scene of a scourging ahead of time to enjoy the fireworks. There was also a blink and you miss it reference to the crew from Rebels. The Geist is Hera's cruiser and I assume the 'slicer' would have to be Sabine Wren since she was the one who did that on occasion over the course of the show. I'm looking forward to what Meori has to offer. I thought DJ was an... interesting addition to TLJ. Slicing seems to be a well sought after skill in the GFFA.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  20. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Just realized Benthic's alien language is just Basic/English with a different font!

21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest
    @AdmiralNick22
    Star Wars #62-67: The Scourging of Shu-Torun (1/6 Released)

Team is built, and the pieces are set. Good summary, @Darth_Accipiter . I'm ready for part 2.

I did like that there was a heavy placement on Leia taking the "revenge" route and she admits that it's not entirely why she's doing it. I hope they spend more time on this part of the story so we can still Leia's struggle on doing what is right for the galaxy verse what is right/feels good for her.

With Kieron Gillen hanging up his hat after issue 67, what do you think happens next? How far away are we from the events on Hoth?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Exactly as far and close as the plot requires us to be.

23. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I think Aphra's still in 1 ABY (there was a reference in one of the more recent issues that suggested it), so if the main series is still somewhat parallel with that (as it was at least as of Vader Down and Screaming Citadel) then we're likely not immediately coming up to ESB.

But yes, there could well be any number of time jumps needed to get there sooner, if required.

24. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I don't like the art style for this issue, the characters didn't even really look like each other. In regards to the plot, I did enjoy the various callbacks to the other arcs in the series, if this were to be the last arc, I wouldn't be upset, but I feel like we still have more stories to tell, even if I feel like the era is a tad bloated right now.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  25. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Sure, I'd love if they explored what happens on Ord Mantell and why Han is so compelled to leave the Rebellion to deal with Jabba all of a sudden when he really hasn't been mentioned at all in any previous issues that I can recall. Maybe it's in the back of Han's mind, but it's understandable that he hasn't thought about it with all the craziness that he's been dealing with now that he has joined the Rebellion. Paying Jabba back should be a walk in the park compared to what he's had to deal with in the past 62 issues.

Other than that, it feels like Leia has been true to what we've seen in the films as well as Luke. His progression has been slow from his farm boy roots to before his training with Yoda which I guess is expected.

Other than the obligatory tie ins to what is happening with Vader, Aphra, or Sana, I guess I've enjoyed the Star Wars journey thus far, but I kind of want more substance if that makes any sense.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019