main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #68-75: Rebels and Rogues (8/8 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Daneira, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    This is where the fun begins!

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I would guess Star Wars Saga may go like Star Wars Adventures wherein it hops around the timeline (something I had a vague hope the main book would be). Except something more like 6 issues arcs as opposed to 22 pages cut in two issues.

3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    looks like "Empire Ascendant" is just an epilogue to the current series.
    https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-empire-ascendant-announce

4. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    This series has been a giant disappointment.

It started off promising. The plot all too often just meandered with no cohesion.

Also, there was no pay off for major events mentioned in other media such as the Mid Rim Campaigns. No way something that large wouldn't have gotten at least a mention in context with what all of the heroes have gone through.

Just, very disappointing.

This is just Marvel and LFL's issue. Ultimately except for a few good storylines and ideas, they did nothing interesting.

Dropping the ball on the art mid way through the series didn't help either.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  5. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Despite problems with the art through much of the run, the series delivered on its promise of Big Three / Classic Era action far more often than it didn't. It was a winner for me and will be missed.

Re the Mid-Rim Campaign / Retreat: now that we know everything from at least issue #44 onwards takes place a good deal closer to ESB than we originally thought, one theory as to why the series seemingly blew an easy opportunity to tie into the Mid-Rim stuff during the "Mutiny at Mon Cala / Hope Dies" arcs might be because it was all over and done with by that point. The timeline of the Mid-Rim Campaign is somewhat unclear but according to The Rebel Files it begins not long after the events on Vrogas Vas (aka the "Vader Down" arc, which happened back when we were still only "months" after ANH) with the offensive and subsequent retreat playing out over the course of next year and a half or so - in other words, well before the events of Gillen's and Pak's runs.

Fire Dog likes this.
  6. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars #72 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    This has been a really good arc for C-3PO. Wish he was portrayed like this more often.

8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Threepio and Vader, just like old times.

chrcharcor2 likes this.
  9. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    he probably didnt recognize him because of the second silver leg

revan772, TiniTinyTony and Daneira like this.
  10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Concerning #72
    Kind of a blasé issue when the most interesting part is just Vader and C3P0 talking. Other than that, Luke loses his lightsaber to Warba, which I can't believe Luke is still this dumb/naive, but I guess that's just Luke, and Han gets knocked out and taken to the crime bosses headquarters floating above the city.

11. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Yeah, Luke was so repeatedly dumb in this issue. I don't even feel bad for him that his stuff got stolen.

12. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    So is Warba levitating that sand with the Force? It looks like it.

13. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    It kind of looks like it. I do like Luke's question to her and she hesitates because everything she seems to know about the Force has been indirect or her interpretation of it from the Guardians of the Whills. At this point, I don't think he'll really learn anything from her, but it would be nice if there was something that makes an imprint. But we know, in the not too distant future, he's going to get smacked in the face by a wampa.

Wrinty and ConservativeJedi321 like this.
  14. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Well, Luke takes some of her description of the Force on-board. Her "a tension, a balance" speech is paraphrasing what he says to Rey in TLJ.

BigAl6ft6 and Wrinty like this.
  15. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    @TiniTinyTony @Daneira
    Could it be that Luke is trying to "con" her into doing the right thing, and/or playing dumb and it just backfires? Because its somewhat weird to see Luke being sooooo naive after spending time with someone like Aphra!

Jarrus and Sly442 like this.
  16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Possibly, @Ithorians but he doesn't have time to mess around so I don't think that is where his head is at. He's on a mission to destroy some probes and lure the Empire away from a rebel fueling station and he's hoping Warba will help as well as teach him a few things. I'm trying to think of an example of a young Luke "con", but that sounds more like Leia's style than Luke. She has the brains and finesse and she's been fighting the Empire and evil agents for a lot longer than he has.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  17. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    The only way I can excuse Luke’s behavior is that at this period of time he’s so desperate for Jedi training he’ll blindly put his trust in anyone who he thinks can help him. This is shortly before ESB. Look how mean he is to Yoda when he first gets to Dagobah. He sees Yoda as an obstacle between him and his goal of meeting a Jedi Master. This is all the behavior of desperation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah good point, Luke is pretty desperate for somebody to teach him something and it's been years so I can actually write it off not just Luke is a really dumb farmboy cuz at this point he's been in the Rebellion for 4 years or so. So yah, good call. I wish the story would address it at some point cuz Luke is coming off really dopey. The other 2 plots are good to great, though, with Vader/Chewie/Threepio/Rock People being one of my favourite story arcs on the book since Hope Dies. Art's real purty for all of it, though.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  19. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars #73 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OrganicMeatbag likes this.
  20. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Star Wars 73: Han gets tortured again

21. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    So, my main question from #73:
    Spice can be sipped from a bottle?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    To me, the action and the shifting allegiances on the rock planet were a bit... muddy? Neither the script nor art were bad per se, but they somehow didn't mesh to create a clear picture of what was up.

Overall, the Han/Leia plot is a lot better than their last pairing, the Luke plot is sort of unsure of how it's trying to portray the guy, and the Vader Chewie Threepio meetup had its moments earlier on but it's a bit too much like the bits I didn't like from the early part of this series: characters being together in ways that aren't canonically impossible, but unlikely enough to make this not feel like the "real" story between IV and V. Points for attempting a film-like three-pronged adventure over the arc, but the overall feeling is that this is just sort of a thing that happens before the "big" stuff hits, a bit of marking time.

23. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    I know Marvel/Star Wars folk skims these threads from time to time, so unfortunately I have to say the main thing that is keeping me from buying new Star Wars mainline issues at this point is that GOD awful photo-shop face tracing style. It hits my brain with the hardest possible "nope" uncanny valley, once you see it, you can't unsee it. It was at its worst during the Jedha arc, and sadly I haven't picked up a Disney canon issue since. It's a shame since I think the writing on most of the issues has been excellent. I know some art fine with it, but re-reading the first few TPBs of the new canon is kind of painful since I like them so much, and then, the art quality just dies for me. I looked at the most recent art previews and it seems like they're still doing the same thing.

24. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    It's better, I don't know that it's great. At least it's not stabbing my eyes with a rusty spike.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah the last two main artists on the Star Wars book used a lot of pre-sourced reference stuff but now we have Phil Noto for this arc and I'm always a fan of his Star Wars stuff.