main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #68-75: Rebels and Rogues (8/8 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Daneira, Mar 26, 2019.

1. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Let me guess: fan outrage over a controversial take on a beloved character? Sigh. :rolleyes:

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Saw the preview, the art still sucks.

3. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Wait...what?
    Honestly - this art is fantastic. I am not seeing screenshots in these images. I hope Noto can stay on the book for a long time and stay at this level of quality.

Luke/Han/Leia
    [​IMG]

C-3PO and Chewbacca
    [​IMG]

Luke and R2
    [​IMG]

Undercover Leia and Han
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    All of those faces are terrible, they're all standing very unnaturally, and Leia looks like she's four feet tall in that last panel.

5. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Interesting. I think the faces are leaps and bounds better than what we were getting. Are you a fan of Phil Noto's other works or is this the first time you are experiencing it? Did you read the Poe comic series at the beginning?

I think that in regards to Leia's height, it is probably just a bad angle that was drawn at a perspective. I am not going to die on that hill, so I will agree that all the sizing seems off in that last panel. Still a marked improvement from Salvador Larroca and Angel Unzueta in my opinion.

6. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Issue #71 & #72 solicits.
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS #71 & #72
    GREG PAK (W) • PHIL NOTO (A/C)
    ISSUE #71 - STAR WARS GREATEST MOMENTS VARIANT BY TBA
    ISSUE #71 & #72 - ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVERS BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    RUIN AMONG THE ROCKS!
    ISSUE #71
    • The REBELS AND ROGUES epic continues as our heroes’ mission to divert the IMPERIAL FLEET spins out of control!
    • On K43, the Rock Elders probe THREEPIO’S memories – and allegiances!
    • Could a droid have more in common with a rock monster than a human? On Lanz Carpo, a rogue takes a fall and a princess fights a vigilante. And on Kalakan, LUKE robs a bank.
    • Wait, LUKE ROBS A BANK???
    ISSUE #72
    • The time for answers is upon us – and destinies will change! As CHEWIE grapples with a terrible moral choice, LORD VADER reveals his plan for the rock people of K43!
    • As LUKE questions where he’s placed his trust, WARBA reveals her origins and true relationship to the FORCE!
    • And as LEIA and DAR spin around the dance floor, HAN uncovers the real villains of Lanz Carpo!
    32 PGS. (EACH)/Rated T …$3.99 (EACH)
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2019 Lucasfilm Ltd.

7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    This all sounds great and the art improving, good. Hopefully this arc end with empire strikes back.

8. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Noto's art in the Poe Dameron comic was hit or miss. Most of it was fine, every so often a face would look really hideous. Leia in the first issue looked really wrong. And his Hutts look like 1997 Special Edition New Hope Jabba, lol.

9. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    I'll take 70% hit and 30% miss over the 100% miss we were getting

10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  11. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    The art's different from what I was expecting, but (A) definitely better, and (B) in a sort of unconventional way, which I'm really into even if the style takes a little getting used to. The page layouts are pretty dynamic which is refreshing. Looking forward to it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars #68 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tatooinesandworm and Wrinty like this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the artists or their skills, it's the art direction from editorial.

14. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Yeah... this arc's going to be a lot easier to read... already so much easier on the eyes.

rjrjr and tatooinesandworm like this.
  15. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest @AdmiralNick22
    1 of 8 released

Concerning #68
    No issues with the art. Just a little predictable. Overall, it's what you'd expect - typical setup issue where everyone is given their specific mission.
    I'm intrigued and looking forward to see where these stories go, if there is any convergence, or if each team will be separate the entire arc.

16. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars #69 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    I don't know, I don't trust that guy.

TiniTinyTony and chrcharcor2 like this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Fun first issue, and the art is so darn purty. The last page reveal was a little ... eh, especially coming after the Han's wife reveal, but the rest of the issue was solid. I mean, that freakin' art, people! Also Chewie saving Threepio was such a Chewie movie and Dues Ex Rock Monster People is fine. Right now it seems Chewie and Threepio have the most interesting storyline.

Even though this was the Noto cover, I got the "great moments" cover with Han & Leia in the Carbon Freezing Chamber.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  19. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Issue #73 solicit.

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS #73
    GREG PAK (W) • PHIL NOTO (A/C)
    ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    STAR WARS GREATEST MOMENTS VARIANT COVER by ROD REIS
    MOMENTS OF TRUTH!
    • Who is DAR CHAMPION and how far can LEIA trust him when HAN’S life is on the line on BOSS CARPO’S golden starship?
    • What shocking lesson will LUKE learn when WARBA finally reveals her true self?
    • And when faced with his lost past, can THREEPIO seize control of his destiny -- and be the hero of his own story?
    • The lives of thousands of rebels hang in the balance as our heroes grapple with their greatest doubts and challenges!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2019 Lucasfilm Ltd.

20. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Hmm, I'm guessing Warba is the child of an ex-Jedi/other force user.

21. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    That business about
    "Threepio's lost past" is certainly intriguing. It strongly suggests he's encountering something from pre-memory wipe days, and if so, are we talking prequel era, or... before that? I'm not aware of any stories, canon or Legends, that examine who or what Threepio was prior to ending up in Little Ani's workshop.

22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest @AdmiralNick22
    2 of 8 released, please

Concerning #69,
    I liked the Solo last name joke. Obviously I don't trust Dar. It's very convenient that he had a free room, the honeymoon suite, which is one of the most expensive rooms at a hotel, for them to use. I'm assuming it's bugged.

I wasn't sure where Luke's story was going so it was a neat suprise for him to run into someone that could potentially be Force sensitive. The cantina he was in reminded me a lot of Mos Eisley except when the bartender and patrons were laughing at him I didn't feel that it was scary or creepy like the aformentioned on Tatooine.

C3P0 and Chewy cliffhanger was cool and hopefully 3P0 figures out how to communicate since he thinks he used the wrong person - using we instead of I or vice versa.

23. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    I get the feeling that Chewbacca actually doesn't mind threepio's company based on the latest issue.

24. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    3PO hitting us with the feels.

25. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Outside of 3PO's spymaster duties for the Resistance, this is probably the best use/characterization of him since the reboot. I'm really liking how Pak is writing him so far.