main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT PT Saga Star Wars '76 (AKA The forgotten Original Aurebesh)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Cae Lumis, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Cae Lumis

Cae Lumis Jedi Knight

Feb 10, 2016
    Foreword: I wasn't exactly sure where this thread should go, given its subject matter deals with both research towards an obscure piece of Star Wars lore, and at the same time discussing artwork due to the nature of recreating a font. Apologies in advance if I fumbled and put this topic in the wrong place.

So, I don't think its all that unknown that the version of Aurebesh seen most often in Star Wars is the one constructed by Stephen Crane for West End Games' Star Wars RPG and later adopted into canon. However, equally known (and with excellent research done here and here by Erikstormtrooper) is that these glyphs do not match the ones seen throughout both the Original Trilogy (best seen in ROTJ during the Shuttle Tiberian Sequence). Based on the research done, Erikstormtrooper proceeded to recreate the original Joe Johnston glyphs as a workable font, matching them to their West End Games Aurebesh as best as possible.

A helpful comparison:
    [​IMG]

However, what might be less well known was that LucasFilm actually did tinker around with the Johnston Glyphs to create a Workable font, during Revenge of the Sith. Philip Metschan (who also designed Yoda's crest as seen in AOTC, ROTS, and the Clone Wars CG series) actually made a workable font with a consistent translation for the prequel trilogy using only Johnston's letters. After doing some digging and dredging the Wayback Machine, I am happy to say I actually found his chart!

[​IMG]

Given the low resolution of the original file, I took the liberty of using Erikstormtrooper's Galactic Basic to recreate Metschan's chart:

[​IMG]

Noticeably, the chart displays that V, W, X, Y, & Z are missing, but at the same time not all of Johnston's Glyphs are displayed here. This has led me to several questions.

1) Is it possible, now that we have the majority of the letters reconstructed, to work out which of the glyphs were used for the missing five letters, recreating the chart and resurrecting an obscure piece of Star Wars lore?

2) With a completed chart, wouldn't it be a nice complementary piece to recreate Star Wars '76 as a fully workable and functioning font as a companion font to Aurebesh.

Riv_Shiel and BlackRanger like this.