main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: A NEW DAWN (September 2014)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Apr 25, 2014.

1. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Sucks about Depa, and it does feel fairly unnecessary to use her specifically.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I won't be surprised if the reason they went with Depa for Kanan's master was probably to boost the diversity of the main Rebels cast in the show itself, as even if she's dead by then, there'll probably be flashbacks and things to Kanan's apprenticeship and stuff, so it could be Depa was victim of the very thing that made her interesting.

themetresgained likes this.
  3. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    I remember hearing that somebody making Rebels, possibly Hidalgo, emphasized the point that Star Wars doesn't tell stories with flashbacks. A New Dawn itself is partly a way to tell Hera and Kanan's back story without actually showing it on Rebels.

cwustudent and Cynical_Ben like this.
  4. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Given that Depa was rarely referenced in the clone wars era material... I suppose... something... could've happened that led to her reawakening and recovery.

Damned if I know what, but her being awake during Order 66 isn't impossible. It's just not the best story choice.

5. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    And here I thought that the point of the new continuity was that we didn't have to tie ourselves in knots trying to explain retcons anymore. :p

6. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Oh we'll keep do it (especially until this new AU - don't care what the official stance is, it's AU as far as I'm concerned - has enough stuff in it that it can just reference itself). But just you wait and see until this new AU will also need retcons.

Kablob and Zorrixor like this.
  7. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, the films certainly don't, but TCW didn't seem averse to finding ways to show stuff from the past one way or another.
    Same here. I'll keep finding ways to make stuff fit until the NEU invents its own stuff. Kinda boring otherwise if all Kanan's master is is a nobody redshirt with no backstory.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  8. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    You might remind the Rebels thread in the TV forum. :-B
    For the sake of differing opinions, I never cared much for the coma situation. [face_peace] Master Billaba probably stepped down in order to train Kanan. Not every Council member that "disappears" during a film need be dead, comatose, crazy, or wallowing in darkness. Example: Jocasta Nu.

9. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Revan.

10. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I'm not touching anything after Episode IV as of now, save maybe Shadows of the Empire, but I'd like to at least salvage as much stuff before that as possible. We shall see.

11. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    cwustudent It was noted by Obi-Wan in the Last of the Jedi series that Jocasta Nu died in the Jedi Library, and he saw her body among the burning wreckage when he and Yoda visisted the Temple. We also saw Anakin/Vader kill her during the ROTS comic.

Yep. I see no point trying to fit it in with a continuity that's no longer canon.

CooperTFN likes this.
  12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I can appreciate the impulse, but I think trying to preserve entire books is a lost cause. Case in point: I'm really, really, hoping Winter makes it into Mark Waid's Leia comic. If she doesn't, I'll be sad, and if the comic somehow hurts the possibility that she exists, I'll be even more sad. But if by some chance she shows up, that won't be our Winter, it'll be Ultimate Winter--so it won't make any different to me whether Scoundrels, for example, is contradicted, because that's not this universe anymore. I'd rather keep the character and lose the book, because for all intents and purposes we've already lost the book.

13. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    We should have a special "Mourning the casualties of the new Canon [Spoilers]" thread, as I'm sure there'll be many more to come.

This one was apparently not a character but one whole novel and we can even add others like Barriss and Quinlan Vos in retrospect there.

The purpose, well it being reserving the novel threads for discussion about them and their own context while keeping the mourning for the EU in other. Because there will be new things that might get overlooked if we just focus on what is lost.

14. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I simply can't apply a comic book continuity mentality to Star Wars, instead only being able to overlook minor inconsistencies, which was why I couldn't buy into TCW and the post-NJO, but will ignore Maul's TCW backstory in Darth Plagueis.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Technically, we already know the casualties of the "new canon": everything not in the new canon. That's what Coop's saying, it's not fading out in front of us, it's already gone. Legends and new material were severed, never the twain shall meet. That's why we have an "Eu Recovery" thread, because the more important thing than what's lost is what's still there.

16. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

I'm not interested in bastardized versions of characters or events we once knew. I bet I'm not alone.

Do something new, do something original. Don't rely on things "already gone". What they decide to strip mine from the EU is of no importance what so ever.

Labels about what is canon and what is not have no meaning to me anymore. Something isn't important to me because the story group deems it to be. In fact I'd say that would make it less important.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    See, this is exactly what happened when I started reading Wild Space. It's not that it's bad, but you just can't mix it with the other Clone Wars material - it's something else.

Zorrixor and Zeta1127 like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Maybe if Disney works hard enough, it could have Jocasta Nu bomb the Jedi Temple.

It needs to be bombed more than once, right?

JackG, cdgodin, Revanfan1 and 3 others like this.
  19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Honestly, that's my attitude to reboots as well. If I was still interested in a character, I'd pick up my old books and read the stories again. If they want to sell me a new character, I'd rather they give them a new name, and do exactly that, not cheat by using the same name to cash in, when really they just want to create a new character.

I'll read interesting new stories-- Tarkin sounds interesting, and we never really got to see much of Tarkin-- and Rebels itself sounds interesting, as they're (mostly) all new characters, which again sounds interesting. But take something like the Vos/Ventress novel? If it's Surfer Boy I'm not going to bother, as that doesn't sound like a character I'm interested in, and slapping the name "Vos" on him isn't going to change that anymore than if they had called him Fabio.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It does reference events from TCW though - like Anakin losing Artoo for a period (with a lot of Republic military data in his unwiped memory).

21. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

I mean, she may as well frame another Jedi for it while she's at it. And hey what about the Younglings? Strutting around all the time, cluttering up the place in their arrogance, it's about time they had someone take them down a peg, preferably in the Jedi Council chamber. ;)

I agree with Zorrixor about reboots. That's why i've been saying i'd prefer they all just create new, original characters, rather than relying on the names and plot elements of the old ones. Vos and Ventress appeared in TCW so I can understand that. (And I assume that somehow, Barris will appear down the line.) But if they started using all these characters that were only ever in the EU i'd be pissed.

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Maybe she woke up during all the shooting in Order 66, made one fatal attempt to save her apprentice, and died.

This would explain why Kanan not only sucks as a Jedi, but why he's content to sit around and mope for so many years too.

Shatterpoint being something of a combo of AN and the original Heart of Darkness, the closest he could be is a native woman with Kurtz in HoD, and maybe some crazy photographer guy obsessed with Kurtz in AN. I get the impression Stover took the "obsessed fanatic" idea and just turned the character into a badass (Stover's #1 rule of writing: when in doubt, just add a badass).

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That does seem like a pretty fair summary. :)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh hell. Hopefully he's not Emo Baleman from Dark Knight Rises.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't worry, at the end he'll have to fly an X-Wing with a bomb on it.