main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: A NEW DAWN (September 2014)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    It actually had a lot in common with The Clone Wars series, and continuity within. When I think of stuff like Mortis I wonder if it wasn't ahead of its time.

But it had little to do with the pre existing Clone Wars series work but I don't recall it out and out contradicting it either.

That said it didn't feature EU characters either, only Movie ones iirc. There was little changed there. Nobody was alive who was suppose to be dead, that type of thing. Yes, characterizations vary from author to author, but that isn't magically going to go away thanks to the story group. If Vos is any indication it will likely get worse.

And Palpatine being a former champion speeder racer on Naboo was brilliant :p

Edit: Wait a second that was the novel that mentioned Koth still being on the Council(due to TCW series) - so yeah, wrong about the characters not being dead thing :p

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I see no problem with Depa being Kanan's master. Sure, it makes a bit of a mess of Shatterpoint, but we knew that book was Legends anyways so why should they be beholden to it? Shatterpoint can still be read and enjoyed on its own. Its like saying you can't read and enjoy NJO anymore because VII contradicts it. We already knew NJO was Legends, so why would VII contradicting it upset you? Sure, I understand why Shatterpoint, awesome as it is, should be kept, and could've been easily enough, but that wasn't what they decided and now we'll just have to deal with it. You can either ignore the discrepancies, try to make them work, or figure one or the other novel as non-canon in your head-canon. For my part, I don't think it's impossible that Depa got Revan-ed shortly before Order 66. No big deal.

3. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    WARNING: the following post might ruffle feathers. It isn't meant to be a personal attack, just to express the opinion of the poster toward a school of thought that annoys the crap out of him.

The problem I have with this perspective (and this isn't personally about you, Rob, I'm just saying in general) is that it doesn't reflect reality. It reflects the feelings of a fan group, sure, but the reality is that the story is different in A New Dawn than it was in Shatterpoint. Everyone seems to want a new story with new characters, well A New Dawn is a new story, and I'll wager that 90% of the cast is new as well. And we're begrudging JJM because he used one previously established character whose fate was always open-ended anyway? Deba Bilaba exists in the movies, she can be used in A New Dawn just as much as she can be used in Shatterpoint. Maybe it was a mandate from on-high, maybe there's more to the story that we're not seeing, who knows?

And if you (universal you) don't care about AND, fine, that's your prerogative. I just get sick of reading new complaints every day on this board about how unhappy people are with every blasted decision being made in every book, comic and announcement that's come out since the Disney purchase. It's made me want to quit this board more than once because I don't come on here to deal with people whining. I'm with you on one thing, Rob, I'm not all that concerned with older materials being brought back. It's cool that some does, but I'm more excited about the new stuff. I come on here to discuss the new books, movies and other things and what we're getting, not the things we've left behind.

Yet, the same people who complain about the new stuff referencing the old stuff are the ones complaining when the old stuff gets overwritten by the new stuff. You can't have it both ways, people. Start another fan board dedicated to the old stuff and the old stuff alone if that's all you care about anymore, some of us have got to the fifth stage of grief and are ready to move on.

4. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    You missed to option where one could just not read/buy/support the new canon at all. :p

I don't know what to say, all you can control is what you do - you can't control other peoples opinions, likes, dislikes, so on, so forth. People are going to be critical of how Disney is doing things. I don't see that going away.

Everytime they do something with an established character/story that differs from what was known it is going to be mentioned. I think people should have that right.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I believe that fits under "figure one or the other as non-canon" if you choose AND as the non-canon one.

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The problem with that mindset is, the old stuff was just as official as this new stuff until they decided to throw all of the old stuff out the window.

7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Except there are just as many positive comments about the NEU as there are criticisms-- such as the almost universally positive remarks about Tarkin or Rebels, and especially the teasers for Episode 7 itself. However this isn't the Official Disney Fan Club. People are just as entitled to point out what they dislike as what they like, and on the whole, it's been balanced, in this thread, in the Vos/Ventress thread, in all the threads. I've pointed out I dislike franchises using names like Khan to market completely different characters that could be just as successful with their own independent identities; however, I have also pointed out that I enjoy it when they continue to be innovative and present new stories-- as they are with characters like Kanan, the Inquisitor, and, yes, even the Amazing Catapult Kid.

8. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    I get that, and I appreciate all of the posters here, even the ones I disagree with. There's been a lot of good discussion about stuff, and this board is definitely one of the best places to just chat about Star Wars because the sheer variety of opinions and points of view present here. And people have a right to their opinion, and a right to say how they feel about things. It's why this board exists. If all we wanted was to read books and comics and not ever talk about them with anyone else, we wouldn't be here. It's just a personal bugbear of mine. Sorry if I came off as rude.

9. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Well I do hope you don't leave, but again nothing is going to change.

I tell you what, once everyone stops complaining about Karen Traviss's novels - about LOTF - about Vergere - about FOTJ, so on, then I will consider biting my tongue. But so long as everyone else gets to have their say about what they like and don't like I don't see why I shouldn't have mine.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You know, as the new stuff becomes more prevalent, the big, old, enduring controversies of yesteryear may well fade away without the cloak of canonicity to keep them going.

11. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    3,000,000 and SSD lengths were one thing, but Vergere? You really expect that one to die? :p

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, why not? How's it going to keep going when there's the instant KO of: It didn't happen, why should I care?

13. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Or Karen Traviss could get brought back by Disney in 2017 to pen new novels about Republic Commandos & Mandalorians. Hypothetical scenarios are fun :)

People are still mad about Chewbacca 15 years later. I suspect every time someone mentions something bad about a new Disney film, or book, or comic, or video game I suspect we are still going to see comments like "At least it is still better than LOTF".

In short I think I'm pretty safe. :p

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Takes quite a bit of effort to keep all that sort of thing going you know. :)

15. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014

Thankfully, she ragequit. But oh dear god let's not turn this into a Traviss thread, what am I doing even posting this why am I still typing

16. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Not if the Traviss thread is evidence of anything, they won't.

I guess I'm in the minority since the only part of Star Wars I genuinely dislike to the point of complaint is LotF. I haven't read FotJ, so I don't feel I have the right to complain about that. And for all of the flack Traviss gets, I did enjoy her books when I first read them, same as I enjoyed Darksaber and the JAT. Another sign of my username being horribly inappropriate, I guess.

Iron_lord, CaptainPeabody and Robimus like this.
  17. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    I enjoyed Darksaber and the JAT when I first read them too. Of course, I was about 10 when I read them, and I had terrible taste at that age. :p

18. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Ah, but everything she said was already a lie to begin with! :D
    It's a shame I don't still have my mock-up of the Episode 7 novel with Karen Traviss along the bottom and Legacy of the Force as the title. :p

Revanfan1 and Cynical_Ben like this.
  19. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Some people still complain about Heir to the Empire & Dark Empire some 20 years plus after the fact.

Canonicity may or may not factor in. Time will tell. But if the new canon does continue to reference established characters the comparisons and discussions will continue to pop up forever I'd imagine.

I would be all for a Legends only forum though. :)

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Shatterpoint was one of my favorite old EU books, and I did comment when I heard this news. That said, I'm still expecting to like the book, because I like JJM's work, and I like the little I know of Kanan and Hera.

I'm just wondering if the novel will keep Mace as Depa's Master because that would really add an interesting element.

I also hope the scene in which Kanan actually escapes Order 66 is a tear-jerker.

Revanfan1 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't mind that people will always roll their eyes at new stuff that contradicts the EU, and I certainly don't expect anything less from Lit--I'm sure I'll do my share of it as well. But speaking for myself, if I was still fundamentally opposed to the reboot as opposed to melancholic about it, I don't know how I could maintain the energy to keep following the new releases and lamenting each and every change when they've stated very clearly that this is the way things are now. When a series moves in a direction I have no interest in following, I stop following it.

22. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    I won't stop keeping an eye on my favorite sports team because it fires a coach, or trades my favorite player, or even up and leaves to another city. I'm still going to check in and see how they are doing - this is really no different. It is not so simple as liking or not liking a story any longer for me.

It is about following the history of the franchise that I've been onboard with for since 1977, give or take a year of toddlerhood. :p

23. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    A good analogy, yeah. I mean, if people in England stopped following their sports teams just because they sucked and were universally reviled, well, there wouldn't be any England fans left.

Hating what we love is what the English do!!! :p

Abadacus and A8T like this.
  24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    http://www.newsarama.com/21750-star...terview-reveals-new-star-wars-status-quo.html

25. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

There's just less in it...

Couldn't resist :p

Iron_lord, podjazd, Zorrixor and 7 others like this.