main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Nov 10, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I was hoping to be able to review these but I suppose that's not going to happen.

International shipping rates are absurd, in any event.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

2. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Here's what I did:

The Escape (World Book Day title) ordered from Amazon.co.uk to be sent to Maryland, USA since it wasn't available from Amazon.com. Estimated delivery March 7-11.

The Snare and The Nest ordered from Amazon.com. They're are supposed to release on Thursday but it still says "delivery date pending" which is kind of concerning. Hopefully Amazon.com is able to fulfill that order. Any reason they wouldn't?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015

I did the same for The Escape. It came out to $12.04, including shipping to Florida. I haven't ordered The Snare or The Nest yet, but I will as soon as they go on sale in the US. I'll look into the UK versions if something prevents their US release.

4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Hmm. I usually get all my Star Wars books from my local bookstore Barnes and Noble and if they don't have it at the store they order it for me. However I have tried to google it and it doesn't seem it is on any of the B&N websites so I'm wondering if these books will be a little more difficult to get.

Not in any rush to get it as I still have a few other books to catch up on but I'm wondering if Barnes & Noble will even have this series since it looks like it is coming from a UK publisher.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just pre-ordered all 3 from Amazon UK. They come out here tomorrow so I should get them next week (if not sooner). And thanks to a Gift Certificate they are free..

6. bsmith7174

Apr 17, 2015
    There was an odd development on my order. The Escape from Amazon.co.uk was just "dispatched". 4 days earlier than it originally said it would. But now the estimated delivery date went from March 7-11 to March 16. That doesn't make much sense...

7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Don't ask me, I don't understand a thing about it all. The Escape is "Arriving 2 Mar - 3 Mar" and currently "Preparing for Dispatch," and the other books are also "Arriving 2 Mar - 3 Mar" but "shipping today."

8. bsmith7174

Apr 17, 2015
    I mean as long as it gets here eventually...I'm not trying to sound inpatient even though I probably am :/

LelalMekha likes this.
  9. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    I just phoned up my local Waterstones in Southampton Above Bar. They have The Escape costing £1 in their backroom but have been told that they are embargoed from selling them until the Monday 29 February....

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've had 'wonky' shipping information on Amazon UK before. I live close enough to London to have the vans that do Amazon Prime do my deliveries as well. Usually mine are earlier than the estimated date unless they come by Royal Mail. Also tracking information can be late to update - I've had that as well.

11. iucounu

iucounu Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 28, 2014
    The official publication date for all three titles is 25th February - that's the UK's March publication date (it's usually the first Thursday in the month, but sometimes it's the last Thursday of the previous month.)

The World Book Day title might well be embargoed until a bit later because WBD isn't until the 3rd of March. But it doesn't appear to have prevented Amazon from ordering and shipping copies around the place well in advance of publication.

12. bsmith7174

Apr 17, 2015
    Bad news...

As I suspected, Amazon.com is not going to fulfill my preorder of The Snare and The Nest. Now they only offer it through international third party sellers. So I canceled that order and reordered the two books on Amazon.co.uk. I wish I had known about this ahead of time because I would have ordered them along with The Escape to save on shipping costs. But The Escape has already been shipped to me so there isn't anything I can do about it.

13. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Sorry about that, bsmith7174.

(Looks like I'll get The Snare and The Nest three days before The Escape. Heh. Guess I'll have to wait (a bit) before starting to read it.)

14. bsmith7174

Apr 17, 2015
    I believe you should be able to read The Snare and The Nest without having to read The Escape first. But if that's your preference, I totally understand!

15. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Some good news, I have just picked up The Escape from Tesco Extra in Havant/Portsmouth. Only £1. embargo my a**!!! cant wait to read!

and with Books 1 and 2 readily available we can delve into this new series.

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    This must be a record for Amazon UK without using Prime - order placed yesterday, all 3 books delivered about 20 minutes ago. (And this was with selecting the Free Delivery option which is normally 3-5 business days.) Color me impressed on this order..

A note for book purists - The Escape is a bit smaller than the other two volumes, at least on the UK versions.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Makes sense given it's £1.00 whereas the others are £6.99 (at W.H. Smiths anyway).

18. Yoe Dameron

Yoe Dameron Jedi Knight

Feb 25, 2016
    I was able to get the The Escape at WHSmith yesterday. I read it and it's a cute little story. Very younger skewing. The others came today, but I likely won't read them until next week. Seeing that people's Amazon US orders have been cancelled, are these UK only? I figured the World Book Day book might be, but not the whole series. Maybe they'll show up later like the Rebels comic. I plan on sending an extra copy of The Escape to my brother in the US. It's very small. Small enough that it could maybe be sent in an envelope.

19. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Missed this topic!
    Received all three a few hours ago about to start the third!
    Yes the Escape was short but I'd recommend picking it up anyway I found it as good as The Snare.

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    They might be UK only - Egmont publishes them here. However I'm in the UK and I've ordered from the US site quite a bit in the past. No reason why it doesn't work the other way - for books, anyway. Items like toys can run into licensing issues. You won't get free shipping though.

21. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I've finished reading "The Escape" and I'll say this- the lost stars this aint. Maybe I'm being too harsh on this junior novel but still I think as, I've still got the next two books to read, that these books aren't going to be mindblowing in terms of canon or anything

22. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, in all fairness, we just can't/shouldn't compare everything with Lost Stars.

23. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    How do they compare to Servants of the Empire? I loved that series too, and I'm hoping this is close to that level. I definitely want them to be a step over Ezra's Gamble and the like if I'm paying for international shipping.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...why would you compare them to Lost Stars? Even if Lost Stars weren't super good, Lost Stars is YA. These should be compared to the other middle-grade novels.

I don't expect it to be on the level of Servants of the Empire. It would be a pleasant surprise but I doubt it. What I expect is something along the lines of Galaxy of Fear -- which is kind of the impression I get.

But who knows. I am keeping my Amazon US order and hoping they fulfill it because I don't want to pay shipping b

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

StoryWorthTelling likes this.
  25. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I don't mind it being the new Galaxy of Fear. Those weren't high litterature, but they were entertaining, and I have a soft spot for them. :)

Iron_lord likes this.