main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Star Wars Adventures & SWA: Forces of Destiny comics (IDW)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    [​IMG]

Just like Destroyer Down.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Endol likes this.
  2. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I'm not sure but am i the only one who heard bugs bunny when reading Jaxxon's lines in the Annual?

3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I think he was definitely drawn to resemble Bugs Bunny - obviously he was always an anthropomorphic rabbit, but I think it's a much more Bugs-like look than his original Marvel look.

4. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    When are we getting our Jaxxon action figure? ^:)^[face_alien]^:)^

5. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Aw man, remember Hasbro's Legacy Collection comic packs that came with two figures and a reprint of a comic? Can we relaunch that? Jaxxon and Amaiza with this annual. Lobot and Chanath Cha with an issue of the Lando mini. Maul and Eldra Kaitis with an issue of the Darth Maul mini. Leia and Evaan with an issue of the Princess Leia mini. Tam Posla and Caysin Bog with an issue from the 'Remastered' arc of Doctor Aphra. Aphra and the Queen of Ktath'atn with a copy of The Screaming Citadel. Aphra and Tolvan. Aphra and Sana. Jaxxon and glow-in-the-dark Jaxxon.

6. revan772

Aug 5, 2014
    Yes. Yes please. I would kill for this. 000 and the Astro from Aphra in another Vader or Aphra comic. So many good comic ocs to make toys of, and the comic packs were the absolute best lines.

AV-6R7, spicer and Senpezeco like this.
  7. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Well, Jaxxon enticed me to check the Annual out. My first full foray into SWA, and I really shouldn't be surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. The main story had the feel of a pleasant old school Marvel filler issue and/or a lighter Clone Wars episode, and seeing the OT characters rendered in... well, pretty much any art style other than the Marvel flagship title was refreshing.

The Jaxxon story was just terrific though -- I was NOT expecting the appearance of Leia and Han at the end, nor the tacit implication that the Aduba-3 storyline or something very much like it actually happened canonically! The Amaiza doublecross was less harsh than I'd feared and I frankly see some great potential for her as well as Jaxxon in new canon. Her particular scheme here even paints her as somewhat of a potential rival for Aphra... bring THAT on, I say!

In short, more like this, please.

8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I read the first part of the Annual concerning the Luke and Leia story. I don't know why, but I got huge Ducktales vibes which isn't a good thing. It was very silly. It was too silly for Star Wars. "He touched the sacred thing without doing the thing! Arrest them!" Also, as I reflect on it, it also had an underlying Aladdin theme as well. I didn't care for it.

I didn't read the Jaxxon story yet, but I did some research on wookieepedia concerning his origin. I guess I don't get the love for him, again it just looks silly and doesn't feel like Star Wars. I guess I can chalk it up to those who were have tried to get their hands on a rocket shooting Boba Fett back in the late 70s and those who loved the Holiday Special when Star Wars was few and far between. It's just not my thing and I hate to sound like a broken record but it just feels silly and too cartoon-y. I don't need all the stories to be serious, but it definitely feels like all the IDW stories don't hold a lot of weight and maybe that because they're marketed to a younger generation by repackaging the old 1977-1986 series.

9. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I read the Jaxxon story over lunch today and it was a little bit better than the Luke/Leia one, but not by much. Again, if I hadn't done the tiny bit of research I'd have no idea who this character was or how he relates to our heroes, but the research wasn't needed. I didn't have any feelings of nostalgia like some of you mentioned earlier in this thread, so the references to things of the past went unnoticed to me. It feels like this is the type of character you'd see in the background vis-a-vis Howard the Duck in Guardians of the Galaxy. I guess I'm not getting the enjoyment out of these stories as I'd hope I would.

10. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I don't think many of us "loved" the Holiday Special, but for those of us who grew up with original "spin offs" (it wasn't the "EU" then), the original Marvel and newpaper runs, plus the assorted novels (SOTME and the Han and Lando books) did set the SW style, in a sense. And I largely still feel like their whimsical tone tallies more with OT itself (especially by the time of ROTJ), and their existence as pulpy, non-galaxy-shaping side stories feels less forced into the SW matrix than a lot of the grimdark, overserious EU that followed.

Of course one of the reasons for my feeling that way is that that material had zero pretenses at being "definitive"; we all knew it would be overwritten by the films at will (hence when Jabba turned out to be a huge slug instead of a yellow walrus biped dude, nobody spent years freaking out about it... but then, maybe if we'd had the internet, we would have).

TiniTinyTony and Iron_lord like this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I was born in 1991, so I think it's doubtful that my affection for Jaxxon stems from 70s nostalgia.

Revanfan1, revan772 and Iron_lord like this.
  12. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    So being born in the 80s, I'm too young to appreciate the referenced nostalgia and too old to enjoy the silliness.[face_mischief]

13. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I read Adventures #9 - "Trouble Again" - the C3P0 and R2 story. I got excited when I saw young Captain Antilles and thought we'd get a cool story about him but then we didn't. It was a droid story. The old bait and switch!

14. revan772

Aug 5, 2014
    It is advertised as a droids one... I picked up my copy yesterday but need to wait to read it when I get off work. All I know from it is that it is a droid issue, I am imagining like TCW episodes.

I really enjoyed reading the Jaxxon issue, going to be picking that one up too so I can read the first part. I am really liking the IDW series. :)

15. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  16. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Nice, Zuckuss still refers to himself in the third person. I'd like to tag Findswoman, since she mentioned in this post that she hoped that bit of lore would be retained in nuCanon, but I'm also afraid of spoiling it. Findswoman, if you read this post, know that I'm happy for you. :D Between this and all the references in the Jaxxon and Amaiza story in the Annual, I'm grateful Cavan Scott is bringing back so many of those little Legends things. They're such nice little touches.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Droids issue was cool cuz I always like when Artoo and Threepio get into "Trouble Again". The annual I really liked the art and the Luke/Leia story had a fun, dopey plot (but also twists) and the Jaxxon story I just liked cuz, hey, it's Jaxxon! I knew he'd make it into canon eventually!

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  18. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Who got their issue on free comic book day?
    Spoiler alert -- Han hid Chewie in the barrel from the beginning. Chewie takes out Zuckuss. They free Beris Ford and put him in the barrel that Chewie was in. They escape on a speeder back to the Falcon. They use the empty barrels to take out Zuckuss and 4-LOM who catch up with them. Once in space in the MF, Han and Chewie eject Beris Ford in his barrel into space with a homing beacon for whomever is going to pick him up. Moments later, The Mist Hunter shows up and give chase where the issue ends.
    There is a non colored, no dialogue 2 page sneak peak of SWA #10 at the staple and then the rest of the book is ads.

Senpezeco likes this.
  19. germanjedi

germanjedi Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2017
    Thanks a lot for those spoilers! I've read SWA#10, but the FCBD issue isn't available here... thanks to you I now finally know how they got there. :D

20. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    We get #10 this week in the States. You already got #10 in Germany? Are you usually ahead us or behind us in comics?

21. germanjedi

germanjedi Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2017
    Lol, no, we are always behind, unless it's the original stuff Panini creates for Star Wars Rebels or the adaptations of Smuggler's Run and Weapon of a Jedi, which are released first here (and most of them sadly never in English). This was a review copy of the US edition of #10.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  22. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    Anyone else being told #10 was pushed back?

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  23. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Apparently IDW shipped #10 late and it arrived to warehouses for half the country after this weeks cut-off.

Half the US got #10 today, the other half has to wait till next week. I am in the second half :(

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Darth Kickass likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    my comic shope was nice enough to put aside the SWA FCBD issue for me cuz I looked and they were all gone from the shope late Sunday so I got lucky there. Decent issue just cuz Han and Chewie doing random schemes and getting into jams is always pretty fun to watch. Also hey Zuckuss still refers to themselves as Zuckuss!

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  25. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    Apparently I am also in the second half, but I am also lucky my local shop pulled a copy of the FCBD issue for me. I was looking forward to the continuation of that story