main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Star Wars Adventures & SWA: Forces of Destiny comics (IDW)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    From SW.com: SDCC 2019: Highlights from the Lucasfilm Publishing Panel

Return to Vader's Castle, another collection of spooky stories coming for Halloween season, will focus on the bad guys. Stories will center around Darth Maul, Asajj Ventress, Jabba the Hutt, Darth Vader, and Grand Moff Tarkin. In the original Tales from Vader's Castle series, writer Cavan Scott turned Christopher Lee's Count Dooku into a vampire; now, he's turning Tarkin — or Peter Cushing, another horror icon alongside Christopher Lee — into a classic archetype. "Long ago, Grand Moff Tarkin created a monster," said Scott, "who's now coming after him." Horror fans, rejoice: black-and-white covers will also be available.

Some cover art:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'll be up for this - I liked Tales From Vader's Castle.

3. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    this image gives me Swamp Thing vibes.

4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    More Tarkin, Maul, and Ventress stories - what's not to like? The Tarkin one, I guess it's a Frankenstein knockoff... I wonder how that's going to work.

5. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Doctor Aphra showed us that the Tarkin Initiative created various abominations like a Wookiee with a railgun for a head, Hutt clone troopers, and a rathtar merged with an interrogation droid. It could be that one of the Initiative's monsters escapes.

Senpezeco and Daneira like this.
  6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone read #23?

We got a Lando/Chewie story that takes place after the Battle of Endor with a special guest appearance from a PT character. They don't reference the events of Shattered Empire but I assume they still apply here since this story is semi similar.

Also, we get a Jabba/Bib story aka "Bib Fortuna Doesn't Get A Day Off".

I'm sure this is old news, but at the end of the comic in the fan letter section, the authors mention stories coming in 27-29 related to the Journey to TROS, so we'll see if they're interesting at all. My guess is probably not.

7. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    I'd assume it'd take place between issues #1 and #2/3 of Shattered Empire, in the twenty days between the Battle of Endor and Lando's appearance at Operation Cinder over Naboo. Presumably the "after-parties" on Endor (and Han and Leia's wedding) take place in that gap.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah, it's been a while since I've read Shattered Empire, so I don't remember Lando's involvement so thanks for the reminder. So this "Adventures" story is implying that once Operation Cinder was taken care of, everyone went back to "partying" on Endor or at the very least, I guess the Rebellion uses Endor as a base of operations for a while since there's that one animated short where Hera is getting supplies from Han and others on Endor sometime after the events Battle of Endor and Operation Cinder, right?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    No; Operation Cinder occurs 20 days after Endor, so I'm suggesting this Adventures story takes place within those 20 days, before Cinder. The Endor "after-party" would be very soon after ROTJ. I'd assume everything set on Endor would probably be in that period, the Hera story included. The rest of Shattered Empire shows the Alliance gathering at fleet muster points in space, so I think the implication is they've left Endor, or at least aren't primarily based there.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I totally slotted this as early after Endor, Han and Leia may have had, like, a week of downtime after putting out the immediate brushfire and then the entire galaxy went nuts. But they got a solid week in there at least!

Anyway, I was pretty stoked that Sebulba was the podracer who had fallen on hard times (I was expecting an original character but I am totally okay that Sebulba is still around). That basically made the first story for me (although it seems "Battle Racing" is basically just everyone shoots at each other, doesn't look like much of a race to me) and I enjoyed the 2nd one just cuz I like seeing Jabba's minions put upon by circumstance.

11. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  12. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Looks like Zombie swampthing Grand Inquisitor with Purge Troopers. Maul looks like's from Rebels timeline with his hoodie from Malachor or could be the art,lol. Ventress looks like she is wearing her late TCW costume. Tarkin looks like Ra's al Ghul from Batman the animated series.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Breha is awesome for telling her all about TPM Padme, because TPM Padme was the coolest Padme.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  14. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I ordered a TPB of Tales from Vader's Castle on Amazon this past week and received what's basically a box set with the five individual issues. Is this the standard for what the TPB is?

15. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    No. You ended up getting the box set, which isn't the same as the TPB. Did you use this link?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  16. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Both stories in the 2019 Annual were great.
    More Jaxxon is always a treat, and we got the old TIE/d droid starfighters back...and they're useless! Nice to see a little Chandrila too.

And the Leia story was utterly charming and moving. It reminded me of A Star Wars Comic's Leia tribute where Rey learns about her own (spiritual) forebear. Plus, nice to see some Clone Wars moments depicted in comic form.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  17. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I guess so. I used the Honey app which suggested a cheaper option. Knowing what I know now panics me because I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the same for the upcoming sequel series

18. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    At this rate canon will do more with Jaxxon than Legends did.

darthcaedus1138, Daneira and Wrinty like this.
  19. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Wow, Annual '19 has Dark Empire TIE/D droid starfighters!

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  20. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    so jaxxon's species is confirmed to have enhanced jumping capabilities this issue?

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    *Hopping.

Wrinty and Iron_lord like this.
  22. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    more fuel to the fire of the Dark Empire Sequel Conspiracy!

23. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Preview for #24 is up:
    (source: IDW's site)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I believe the Mirrin sector and Rapier Squadron are from Greg Rucka's Before the Awakening, yes?

I've fallen behind on my comics reading and haven't read the 2019 Annual yet! :( Real life has some real audacity demanding my time and attention away from Jaxxon axxtion...

24. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Yup, they are! Rapier Squadron is based out of a New Republic base on Mirrin Prime. That's also the NR pilot's uniform seen in Resistance, and of course the NR sigil first seen in Aftermath.

Senpezeco likes this.
  25. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    Was that Ronan the Accuser in this issue?