main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Star Wars Adventures & SWA: Forces of Destiny comics (IDW)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    The symbol is the Red Sigil http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Red_sigil

Outsourced and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Looks like the Red Sigil, basically the Star Wars version of the Red Cross. Kind of a universal symbol of medical aid. Which makes sense, considering Kix was trained as a medic.

[​IMG]

Vizzy91 likes this.
  3. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    ...ohmygodwhyyy??
    The Crimson Corsair story was probably the best part of the Journey to TFA, and I've been waiting for them do more with the whole crew since it came out. But like...why did they whitewash Kix? Why is it so hard for some artists to make the clones MOC?

4. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    When did they clone Commander Riker?

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Looking at Reveth, I suddenly got a mild flashback to Alema Rar. Not like Reveth was particularly "crazy", but she seemed a bit... eccentric? Like the whole rest of the crowd in that short story? Prone to do nutso stuff? I wonder if the damaged lekku is part of the reason.

Yeah, that's like... not even remotely close. Skin tone, ear shape, forehead etc... it's not like there weren't a million clones (3 million?) to compare with over the last couple of decades. I don't get how this stuff still gets passed through the system without anyone saying, "hey, you know that those other hundred incidents of pop culture whitewashing that were in the news lately...?"

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

My first thought way "Yay, but he looks too white."

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I had zero interest in this thing until I found out just today that the Crimson Corsair and crew were getting a story. Although it is pretty weird that if you're going to specifically follow up on a stasis-preserved clone joining the crew (which is a pretty killer hook even leaving aside how cool Ithano himself was), you'd think they'd bother to actually make him look like one.

8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    My FLCS in Buffalo, NY as handing them out a couple weeks ago (and still has a healthy stack of them), so it's definitely not just West Coast. I too thought this was an SDCC exclusive, so I was very pleasantly surprised when they stuck it in the bag with my other purchases.

9. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I can't remember where I read it but I heard that image was more of a reference and not necessarily the final look. But who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sinrebirth likes this.
  10. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Yep.

Landry Q. Walker‏ @LandryQWalker
    Apologies: Many people have commented that the version of Kix @cartoonjones and I developed looks too white... 1/3

...The art wasn't intended as final and he wasn't meant to read as white. Regardless, it seems clear we have to work harder... 2/3

...Our job is to make things read clear, and we will do everything we can going forward in such situations to ensure this is addressed. 3/3

Eric Jones‏ @CartoonJones
    Absolutely. This art was NOT final, and I had a VERY short time to paint it. Kix definitely doesn't read the way he should, ethnically...

...and that's on me. But please know that he was meant to be more clearly Maori in appearance, and I simply didn't get that right here...

...also know that going forward, in any image intended for publication, you will not encounter the same problem with my work. Mea culpa.

11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Part of me wonders if the artist didn't know he was supposed to be a clone trooper, or confused clone troopers with stormtroopers.

12. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Nah, I'm sure they told him who Kix was, if he didn't know already. I can see somewhat of a clone resemblance.

13. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Preview images
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An new covers for issue 2 and issue 4 which comes out in November.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...Zuvio??!?

Edit: I'm assuming the lack of speech balloon tails isn't going to be final, otherwise this will be pretty confusing.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  15. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I can't say the art has me enthused but hey, there's a bloggin.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Personally I like it. It's not the most detailed art but at least they didn't do tracing, that would look weird otherwise.

BigAl6ft6 and LelalMekha like this.
  17. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Luke looks a lot better than the way Larocca draws him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilentGuy66 and Vthuil like this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This book has been announced for months (as has this thread) but I kept skimming over it thinking it was just the IDW Classic Star Wars book under a new name. Definitely gotta make sure my folks at the comic shope know there's a non-Marvel Star Wars comic out there to add to my list. (They probably won't mind, but sometimes you gotta crack the whip to make sure they keep your pull list up to date)

19. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Nice, I'll take it. Beats the usual "tough ****, muh artistic vision!" reaction we usually get by a mile. Looking forward to seeing an actual brown Kix in the final art.

20. The Ganner

The Ganner Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2015
    I sincerely hope by next year or so, Dark Horse gets to write comics in conjunction with Marvel, could you imagine I know I would be VERY HAPPY if Marvel ANNND Dark Horse made comics.

spicer likes this.
  21. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    That would be amazing! I think it was very harsh and unfair that Dark Horse lost the license considering how much it contributed to Star Wars comics and Star Wars in general. I absolutely get the logic behind the license switch, and I totally get that it is completely justified from a business standpoint, but still, if you look past the business mentality it kinda feels off, to me at least. Don't get me wrong, overall I like what Marvel's been doing with the license, and because of that I'd love to see SW comics both by Marvel and Dark Horse.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  22. The Ganner

The Ganner Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2015
    Absolutely, Dark Horse is basically the reason I got into Star Wars (i picked up a beat up copy of republic in like 2002 at my library and fell in love)

spicer likes this.
  23. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    If the IDW series sells well, we might just see that. But I imagine it would still be a few years down the line. I mean, this is the first non-marvel company to make Star Wars comics since the Disney buyout in 2012.

(Excluding Son of Dathomir)

They'll probably wait and see how the partnership works before going in with another group.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I really liked the preview pages. It's dynamic yet cartoony, kind of like something from Clone Wars or Rebels. Or even the original Clone Wars microseries. (which, if you think about it, defined the kinda "blocky" shape of Star Wars animation since then)

Also "ZIP" lines when Rey turned her head. I love zip lines in comics. More of that and exclamation point word balloons to indicate surprise and I definitely approve.

25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    What about English versions of the many German-only SW Rebels comics? Or the Weapon of a Jedi adaptation?

The Positive Fan likes this.