main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Star Wars Adventures: The Clone Wars – Battle Tales (5-part IDW comic series)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Jan 23, 2020.

1. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-clone-wars-become-weekly-comic-1272058

The five-part IDW series will be written by Michael Moreci and feature new stories from the classic conflict each issue.

Disney+ won’t be the only place Star Wars fans will be able to return to the Clone Wars this spring, with IDW Publishing launching a weekly comic book series, Star Wars Adventures: The Clone Wars – Battle Tales. It will run weekly though April.

The series will be a five-issue anthology similar to IDW’s Tales From Vader’s Castle and Return to Vader’s Castle minis, written by Michael Moreci with a framing sequence each issue from Derek Charm (The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Jughead) as the heroes from the animated series share war stories while pinned down in the middle of the conflict.

Beyond Charm’s contributions, each issue will feature a different artist, with Arianna Florean, Megan Levens, Valentina Pinto, Davide Tinto and Philip Murphy on hand to draw the five issues, respectively.

“The Clone Wars era is probably my favorite in all of Star Wars,” Moreci said in a statement from the publisher. “It has it all — big adventure, sweeping romance, Force mythology, Jedi powers, and, of course, the awesome clones. This event series is going to bring together all the best, evergreen parts of Star Wars and weave a story that longtime fans (like myself) and new, younger readers (like my own kids) will definitely love.”

Each issue of the series will feature covers by Charm — the first issue’s cover debuts exclusively below — with the first issue also seeing a variant cover by Powers co-creator Michael Avon Oeming.

[​IMG]
    Courtesy of Derek Charm/IDW
    Star Wars Adventures: The Clone Wars – Battle Tales will debut April 1 digitally and in comic book stores.

Outsourced, Grievousdude and Daneira like this.
  2. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    We have gotten a lot of of stories about Anakin and Obiwan in this era.

I hope we don’t see them much in this comic.

I would have preferred a General Grievous mini or a running Delta Squad series.

3. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    From the writer's Twitter: "We're going to see so many clones: Rex, Cody, Boil, and more--even some new ones! Also, Jedi! And some of the best Clone Wars villains! I'm SO EXCITED. I love the prequels, and TCW is some of my favorite Star Wars."

4. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I can't say this is what I was expecting. I wanted the arcs that aren't getting produced to come out in comic book not little kiddie stories that have no relevance to anything. Sorry, I'm not going for this.

5. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Well, I can’t get enough Clone Wars material. These will be day one digital reads for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I loved the old Clone Wars Adventures digests, so I should probably like this.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

7. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Here are the remaining covers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Those covers are great. Non-black ink and limited color pallets... really distinctive.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  9. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Hurm. Will this be adapting the S7 episodes that didn't make it into the relaunch like the Boba/Bane arc?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  10. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Doubtful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I wouldn't knock it till you try it. Tales from Vader's Castle and it's sequel are some of my favorite comics from the NuCanon. And while the main Adventures series varies more in terms of consistency, there are some real stand outs. I distinctly remember absolutely loving the story where Anakin and Padme are trapped on a ship by a mad actress. Good stuff.

DarthJaceus, Iron_lord and Senpezeco like this.
  12. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/preview-idw-star-wars-adventures-the-clone-wars-battle-tales

With the seventh and final season of The Clone Wars currently airing on Disney+, and no Star Wars feature film blasting into multiplexes this year, avid fans are escaping into the vibrant world of comic books for their fix of the galaxy far, far away — and today we've got a taste of things to come.

Star Wars Adventures: The Clone Wars - Battle Tales is a new all-ages weekly series from IDW Publishing centered around the tumultuous events of that monumental crisis in the Star Wars canon. Similar to IDW's exceptional Star Wars Adventures: Tales From Vader's Castle and last year's follow-up, Return to Vader's Castle, each week will showcase a series of cool combat tales from the ranks of the entire acclaimed animated TV show. Now SYFY WIRE is staging a special sneak peek at the premiere issue arriving in Earth orbit on April 1.

This stimulating miniseries is written by the prolific Mike Moreci (Roche Limit, The Plot, Blackstar Renegades) and matched up with vivid cartoon-style art by Derek Charm, who also brought his talents to both Vader's Castle projects. Charm provides the framing story in each combat-packed issue, with a rotating, tag-team roster of interior artists starting with Arianna Florean (Monster High).

Replete with grand adventure, soul-stirring romance, mysterious Force mythology, epic Jedi powers, and the awesome might of the clones, this event title weaves together the finest evergreen elements of Star Wars for readers aged 5-105. Exploring an era of great upheaval in the galaxy, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and other Jedi Knights battle against insurmountable odds while Commander Cody, Captain Rex, and other clones pinned down for the duration share war stories starring favorite characters from The Clone Wars animated series like Padmé Amidala, General Grievous, and many others.

SYFY WIRE chatted with Moreci on this upcoming project, for which he takes us a speedrun hyperspace tour of the plot and format for this Clone Wars release.

"With Clone Wars: Battle Tales, we're giving readers five never-before-seen stories told during the Clone Wars and from the clones' perspective," he tells SYFY WIRE. "All your favorites are involved — Rex, Cody, Wolffe, and more. Plus, what would the Clone Wars be without Jedi, and Separatist villains!

"I love the prequels, thoroughly, and I think The Clone Wars is some of the best Star Wars around. it's such a unique and thrilling part of the Star Wars universe. As for who might pop up? I've mentioned a few, but we might also see Grievous. And maybe Plo Koon? Maybe some brand-new clones, even ..."

Artist Derek Charm again delivers with his whimsical renderings of the Star Wars Universe, and Moreci found him to be an indispensable component of the process with his experience and enthusiasm.

"Derek's wonderful, and him doing the framing stories for each issue is truly wonderful," Moreci notes. "He's joined by five remarkably talented artists, and the work being done is nothing short of brilliant.

"This has been my baby from the start, so seeing it come together and being able to tell these stories with such a remarkable team — from the artists to my editors to the Lucasfilm story group — has truly been a great creative experience. Not only that, but being able to give the spotlight to the clones — one of the main reasons I wanted to pursue this project — has been a ton of fun, and really rewarding."

Strap on your armor and bolt into our exclusive 3-page preview of IDW's Star Wars Adventures: The Clone Wars - Battle Tales #1 in the gallery below and brave the Separatist foes as they attempt to conquer the galaxy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Senpezeco and Daneira like this.
  13. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Issue #1 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    So, if the frame story takes place before the Battle of Christophsis, then Rex and Cody aren't so much swapping old war stories as catching up on what has happened in the past few weeks... Also, it looks like we can add one more mark to the Anakin-Dooku duel tally.

Ventrix likes this.
  15. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    A fairly nondescript issue, I thought. Standard stuff. A shame that the potential for pre-Christophsis material wasn't used at all -- Anakin looks exactly like he does in the series, he's fighting Dooku again, no sense that we're any closer to AOTC than the series itself. The only thing really was Rex learning to trust Anakin's unorthodox approach.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  16. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Well, A), it's not like Christophsis is Anakin's first mission as a Knight or anything. B), it can't be that far out from the film anyway, because Anakin and Rex are still fairly new to knowing each other at that point.

17. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Issue #2 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DarthJaceus likes this.
  18. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Another Anakin Vs Dooku Duel?!

SeparatistFan likes this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I hope it's a running gag for the series.
    :bluesaber::bluesaber::redsaber:

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Wat Tambor!:D

Going to be another mad scientist/superweapon plot. But that's ok. Tambor makes wacky crazy stuff most of the time. Doc Octuptarra.

DarthJaceus and SeparatistFan like this.
  21. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    He gonna drop the hardest Techno Union track of the summer and the Republic needs to stop it before it hits the airwaves and corrupts the youth :p

22. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    It’s great that Wat Tambor shows up, hopefully Viceroy Gunray shows up later - I feel he has been forgotten which is a big shame as they made him awesome in tv series.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  23. R4-D4

R4-D4 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 6, 2003
    When is this series supposed to take place? I originally thought early in the war like before the Clone Wars movie (22BY), but now seems like a lot later with all the flashback memories with Wat Tambor, Dooku, Asajj Ventress, and now Grevious facing our heroes.

24. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    In the four months before the film. They clearly already know Ventress and Grievous when they show up in the series.

25. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I wouldn't be surprised at this point in canon that five minutes after the ending credits of AOTC, the newly married couple retired to their bedroom only to find Count Dooku waiting for them with his lightsaber at the ready.

'Congratulations on your engagment, young Skywalker!'
    'My powers have doubled since we last met Count...a couple hours ago.'

Meanwhile on Coruscant, as soon as Yoda finishes his 'begun the clone war has' speech, a large cyborg smashes through the window and introduces himself to Kenobi as 'General Grievous'.

Deliveranze likes this.