main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: AFTERMATH

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthTalgus, Mar 10, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm ready to buy 5 copies.

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Temmin is indeed extremely annoying. The audiobook is great with this, Marc Thompson gives him such a whiny teenager voice.

AusStig likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Someone make this happen.

4. Matthew James

Matthew James Jedi Padawan

Apr 29, 2020
    Finally got around to picking up this trilogy. I'm looking forward to reading through them and checking out the discussions on here.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Bring popcorn, you're in for a wild ride.

PCCViking , Daneira and Matthew James like this.
  6. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    I got kind of used to the writing style, over time.
    Still, I will never forget that damn skittermouse and it's SFX...
    tikka tikka....
    (Bk 2 or 3, wasn't it?)

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  7. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Yea, once you start reading it isn't an issue, at least not for me.

8. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I read it after TRoS was announced so that put everything in a different light.

I didn't mind it mostly, though I did use audio book.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah for all the LFL didn't have no plans talk, the Aftermath novels are surprisingly relevant especially after TROS

my kind of scum likes this.
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Probably one of the best happy accidents ever!

Fin McCool likes this.
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I've settled on Palpatine detecting Exegol out there, mind you.

Sable_Hart, Sauron_18 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    And even more fittingly, an overly convoluted one!

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Wendig said that could work so I also agree.

A Palpatine plan though and through

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    There is something to be said for being vague in your writing, I suppose. As frustrating as that can also be.

BigAl6ft6 and Xammer like this.
  15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Indeed, while I never recommend it for the movies, from a EU perspective one of the reasons why the lore of TFA and TROS don't both me as much is because while it's not explained that well, it's vague enough that's not World Breaking thus can easily get retconned or expanded upon in something else. Don't really recommend people doing that while writing but it could have been worse.

This isn't a jab at TLJ by the way, but TFA and TROS for some reason seem to have the more "Lore expansions" then TLJ do.

16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    A middle piece is very difficult to manage, I suspect. The jump between TPM and AotC was very very vague, after all. We had very little material that wasn’t TPM-centric.

Bloodline for example is sublime; but very disconnected to TLJ. Save to explain how the New Republic is folded up so quickly, of course. The bar on Luke related material was also quite fiddly for everyone to work around too.

Xammer and PCCViking like this.
  17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Now that you mention it you are kinda right.

In the Prequels alot of the material was either TPM or ROTS centric ...espeically considering a lot of the prequel era once finished (And this was mostly TCW) went with the Revenge of the Sith aesthetic. Though some threads like Sifo Dyas got picked up eventually in Clone Wars.

18. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    So, does he make Snoke before detecting Exegol? After all, it was implied that Snoke was around during the rise of the Empire.

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's implied Snoke thinks he was around during the rise of the Empire. He's probably a century or two's worth of memories, despite maybe only being 40.

BigAl6ft6 and PCCViking like this.
  20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I presume it depends when he started his mad bad science; the VD states Snoke’s homeworld is Exegol so it has to be after that at least.

What Snoke now says is essentially Palpatine marionetting him so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sauron_18 and PCCViking like this.
  21. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Bit of an obscure request, but does anyone know if 'cinch' and 'cinching' means something else in the Star Wars universe than it does in real life?

Currently reading Aftermath, and there's quite a few uses of the word 'cinch'

'Cables cinch around her waist'

'...and more in her gut - she cinched everything up'

'The woman cinches a rifle up on her back'

I've looked up the definition online as I hadn't come across the word before - it means 'an extremely easy task' eg 'the program was a cinch to use'. I guess 'cinches a rifle up on her back' could mean she effortlessly flicks it up onto her back, but it doesn't seem to be the right usage of the word to me.

Anyone able to shed some light on this? Maybe one of you will find it a cinch to explain. :D

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It means "tighten" in these contexts:

https://www.wordnik.com/words/cinch

• intransitive verb To encircle or wrap tightly.
    • intransitive verb To tighten (an encircling cord or belt, for example).
    • intransitive verb Informal To make certain; secure or guarantee.
    • intransitive verb To tighten an encircling band or saddle girth.

BRE likes this.
  23. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009

That makes A LOT more sense, thanks very much!

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So it's been years and jumped on wookiepedia but what is that interlude about Vanth finding the armor again?

And (Mandalorian S2 spoilers)

any continuity wiggling with his story in Mandalorian Chapter 9 of him buying it from Jawas after wandering the desert? Wookiepedia says some guy had it in a box. But maybe the guy who had the armor in a box had already taken it from Vanth and he reacquired it

25. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It works reasonably well, bar a few details. Jawas scavenged it from the sarlacc. Adwin Charu tries to acquire it onboard their sandcrawler, but Cobb Vanth shoots him and takes the box. We could presumably fit the Mando flashback in before Adwin arrives; Cobb wanders the desert, is picked up, and sees the armour. The Jawas might even package it up for him in a box, and Adwin comes in just as Cobb's about to take it. Cobb, knowing he's one of the miners (who've just shot up his town), leads him on in order to shoot him. Aftermath also mentions that Mos Pelgo is fairly nearby, behind the sandcrawler, which fits with Cobb having wandered the desert for a while.