main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars: Age of Resistance

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, May 23, 2019.

1. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I listen to a movie reviewing podcast with the editors in chief of The Bulwark and the Washington Free Beacon, and they spent the last whole episode mocking the concept of a General Hux series.

2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    @};-Rose@};-
    Based on the preview, I thought this comic was going to focus on two kids playing make believe the whole time. Thankfully, I'm glad I was super wrong. While the reveal of the flight simulator was obvious, the rest was not. I really appreciated and smiled at the end that it was Paige who was narrating the whole time about Rose, not the other way around. I even went back to read all the narration from the beginning from Paige's POV instead of Rose. Very well done.

Rey
    I guess I like more Leia and Rey talking, and of course them trying to retcon the Chewie and Leia hug when they completely walked passed each other, but with all that aside, was the story really needed? Also, what was Poe wearing? And the compressor giving them problems again? Felt like a stretch. Not a very good story.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  5. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I thought it was an art mistake at first, but nope - go back to that moment in TFA and sure enough, Poe's actually standing there wearing that outfit. It's a Resistance officer's uniform - if I had to come up with a reason why he's wearing it at that particular moment, I would say it's for Han's funeral (which probably happened soon after the Falcon left D'Qar). The fact that he wears it for all of about two seconds didn't stop Hasbro from making an action figure, of course.

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6, Daneira, VGCinema and 3 others like this.
  6. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Thanks, I just looked at a screenshot of everyone waving goodbye to the Falcon in the TFA, and it matches there as well.

The Positive Fan likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I liked the Snoke issue if only because I thought the "training" was pretty dope and Kylo's actions at the end were unexpected from not killing his Force vision parents (which is going to be rattling around in the back of my head when I rewatch TFA with Kylo saying "I know what I have to do but I know if I have the strength to do it." considering what he did here.). But hugely Kylo blew up the cave! I guess they can't go back there anytime in the ST or anything afterwards, wow! RIP Cave.

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I think it's good clarity of TFA and TLJ

Kylo feelings towards Luke......haaaaaaaaate

Han and Leia....."Not sure....very not sure right now" and he can't do it,....He does it with Han later but Leia...still couldn't do it

9. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    One could probably argue that since Kylo spends most, if not all, of TFA trying to find Luke only to come up empty, that he takes out his hatred of his uncle towards his father in an effort to become stronger only to lose a lightsaber battle to someone with no training or knowledge in Snoke's eyes.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    read the Rey and Rose issues, Rey issue was interesting in as much, yes, Chewie hugged Leia a lot (he was looking after Finn when they got out) and Rey's side quest is a neat quirk because it shows just ripping out the Compressor didn't exactly fix the Falcon and her going off somewhere actually does account for the passage of time between TFA and TLJ (Rey's side quest I would think would be concurrent with the Phasma mini and Resistance Base evacuation). Also great line where she casually mentions overthrowing a despot. The Rose issue had some good backstory with her and Paige which I hadn't seen before and it was very well written overall, Paige hollering "the First Order is overcompensating!" was pretty funny and good reveal that Paige was the narrator of the issue. I don't know if I'm just starved for ST era content but I think the Age of Resistance comics have been my favourite so far in this series, if anything it's just good comic book-ing writing with cool reveals throughout every issue.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

The Kylo one is out and thus ends the Age of comics.

vong333 likes this.
  12. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Don't we get "Age of Resistance: Heroes" and "Age of Resistance: Villains"?

13. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Those are collections of the previous issues.

14. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Ohhh! Okay, gotcha.

15. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Holy Guacamole....

Zillo Beast! [face_hypnotized]

16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    re: Kylo Ren comic

I don't 100% understand how Vader failed years (and years) prior to Kylo's quest when Anakin/Vader had experience in dealing with the same problem in The Clone Wars cartoon series.

IMO, the best Kylo Ren story was in the Snoke comic. I wouldn't mind seeing more Captain Ruthford and what he's been up to all these years between ROTJ and TFA.

17. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Well, to be fair, they only defeated the beast in TCW by poisoning it with Malastare fuel, which as far as we know he had no access to during the events of that battle.
    Besides, it seems that the warriors spirit was crushed after their king was killed and so his mission was effectively complete regardless of what happened to the Zillo Beast.

18. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    The details aren't clear (because we hear about the event from different perspectives), but Ruthford states Vader did subdue them, and Kylo confirms he killed their last King and "put them down", even though the new King says they "got back up" in the intervening years. He may not even have bothered trying to fight the Zillo considering the King and "thousands" of the aliens were killed.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I liked this issue, the Snoke one had more Kylo character development, true, but this was just Kylo being snarky and a badass, and the art was great. Also good small contrast between the Vader page and the Kylo page that Vader just says "Attack." While Kylo said "Attack!!!" with 3 exclamation points. I honestly always wanted a Kylo mini, and we are getting one but it's serious Ben to Ren stuff, I honestly could just read 6 issues of Kylo wrecking random folk.

Hopefully we get more Leonard Kirk on Star Wars, I think he's just grand after these issues and Solo: Imperial Cadet. Maybe new artist for the ongoing?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

My question with the Kylo comic is...So...Is Kylo's backstory public knowledge I mean I guess you can spin it as ..."Grandson of Darth Vader, Icon of the Empire" so that kinda makes sense...Still guess the questions of "Aren't you Han and Leia's kid?" Sorta have to go out the window. Granted unless they keep that stuff on the hush hush.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    They know who he is related to, but he's prone to violent outbursts and Snoke's favorite... so it's not like they can do anything about it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    My take is people know that Kylo is Han and Leia's kid but he's wearing the mask partially for anonymity and if anyone ever brings up the Ben Solo of it all he lightsabers them through the skull. If they're lucky. Heck, look at Lor San Teka, bringing up his family in the vaguest sense and then "You're so right!"

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    OrganicMeatbag and Wrinty like this.
  23. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    My issue with the REN comic is that it gets really close to the trope I often see in comics when they introduce a new character - the writer has to prove how good that character is & so has them do something that the character who is the top level @ whatever it is they are doing could not do.

for example
    For strength, beat the Hulk
    For intelligence, do something Reed Richards could not do
    Have a better healing factor than Wolverine

it just annoys me & smacks of a writer saying ‘I know they are this, but mine’s better’
    & honestly, Kylo REN is not better than Vader.

24. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Per Bloodline, Leia becomes publicly known as the daughter of Vader while Ben is still at the academy. So anyone that knows Kylo is Ben Solo knows he's Vader's grandson and Han and Leia's son.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    OrganicMeatbag and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    so this line in Age of Resistance, Snoke

so that could be interpreted as (TROS spoiler)

straight up Palpatine speaking through Snoke! Bit of a stretch but not that much of one.

Krueger likes this.