main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars and anime

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Jedi_Master_Allya, Jul 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordMoltar

LordMoltar Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2001
    I must say this weekend has been a pretty fantabulous Anime weekend for me. :D It all started Friday, when FINALLY my Anime Castle order arrived. To commemorate such an audacious occasion, I immediately watched the 13th. "Rurouni Kenshin" video. I greatly enjoyed the Sojiro fight, even if his backstory did make me a bit teary eyed. (Yes, even this might lord can occasionally revert to a mush-like state.) That led into Saturday, where I took Artemis and her brothers out to see "Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust" at a local art college. We've all seen it before, but it was a most entertaining, and different experience seeing it on the big screen. Later that evening, she showed me the 14th. volume of "Kenshin", along with the DVD outtakes on volumes 11-14. I am now wholly convinced that Makoto Shishio is one of the BEST Anime villains of all time! :) He had a entertaining fight, and he was just psycho and evil. What more do you want from your bad guys?!? Oh yes, and being the romantic soul that I am, I gave my dear Artemis some of my Pocky, which I ordered from Anime Castle. (I had some today. Man, that stuff is good!) ;) But no Anime will be viewed today; I WILL be writing a major paper about Anime for my Contemporary Arts and Ideas course. It'll be part of my final presentation in the course, and the paper is about Humanities and History in Anime. I plan on touching on the general history of Anime development, then talking about how history and humanities fit into two specific series, "Evangelion" and "Rurouni Kenshin". I'll let you know how it all turns out sooner or later. Sayonara for now!

2. jeditictac

jeditictac Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 1999
    your paper sounds cool. i wanna read it ;-D good luck on it.

i finished kreuz. now i need to write a paper too :-(

3. Equinox

Equinox Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    I watched the final episode in Tenchi Universe series today! It was really good. Now I have to hunt down the Tenchi in Tokyo series and convince my friends to watch it with me. Which shouldn't be hard since they need little convincing to come over and have a party!

4. jeditictac

Oct 14, 1999
    tenchi in tokyo sucks! i could've gotten the first dvd for 5 bucks and i wouldn't buy it (though i'll buy almost anything for 5 bucks if it's anime) cause tenchi in tokyo SUCKS. i can't stand it! it just irritates me to no end. i can't imagine the subbed being much different. it makes me want to throw tenchi into a river with a huge rock tied to his anklel. grrrr. i hate tenchi in tokyo. hate it hate it hate it!

that felt better

i got my fansubs! kodacha rocks! now i need to see if the rest of it has been subbed...or at least more than what i have.

i also got my slayers tapes :-D the movie rocks :-D

5. Jedi_Master_Allya

Jedi_Master_Allya Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    Hi, everyone! I hope you've all seen the new Top Ten list in the humor section ^_^

I'm in a great mood because I watched the first half of Love Hina, and am getting the rest (including movies) Tuesday, along with serial experiments lain. And I'm trying again for a job, hopefully in our friendly local comic book store (which also rents anime tapes :D)

6. Equinox

Mar 25, 2002
    I heard Tenchi in Tokyo was really bad but I'd still like to see it just to say I saw it. If I don't get to watch the series it really isn't going to bother me.

7. Jedi_Master_Allya

Nov 17, 2000
    I didn't like Tenchi in Tokyo... but I do know a few people who did *shrugs* It did have some redeeming moments, such as Ayeka's poem, the Pink Elephant costume, and the giant rat...

8. Equinox

Mar 25, 2002
    Pink Elephant costume? Giant rat? Now I'm curious.

9. LordMoltar

Jul 25, 2001
    Ack! Sorry I took so long in posting. Now that the semester is nearing it's end for me, it seems like my classes collectively decided to stuff me full of reading and studying assignments. :p That's not to say Anime has been far from my mind. For just this past Saturday I shared a lovely Anime afternoon with my dearest Artemis. We ended up watching the second and third tapes of "Escaflowne". I am REALLY starting to get into Dilandau as a villain. He's almost taking Shishio's place as my favorite Anime villain! Those psychotic tendencies... the murderous rampages... his inability to quit obsessing. ;) Then we finally got around to watching the second episode of the second "Rurouni Kenshin" OVA. Three words to describe it; Saddest Anime Ever. I came VERY close to shedding a tear at some points because it was just that emotionally involving. If you're a masochist, and really want to see how the "Kenshin" saga ends, I recommend you try downloading it off the internet. Just be sure to bring some hankies with with. :D To lighten the mood after that, we watched some "DiGi Charat". Those cat girls are as hilarious as always. (By the way, I also loved the origin story of Rabi.) Finally, we watched two episodes of the "X" T.V. series. I must say, it's a bit of a change from the Manga and Movie. It's like the creators decided to give the series more of a "Dragonball Z" approach to fighting. The fights are more involved and longer than I remember them to be. Oh well, I still liked it enough to tell milady I certainly wish to see more.

It'll either be tomorrow or Thursday when I give my presentation on History and Humanities in Anime to my Contemporary Arts and Ideas class. Artemis said she'd help post my paper on here, so it won't be too long before you all will be able to see it. But remember... please be kind to me. I had to keep the paper somewhat short. ;) Later this week, I may go looking around at some Army surplus shops, to see if I can find an outfit that looks like Saitou's. Sayonara for now!

10. The_Human_Blimp

The_Human_Blimp Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2002
    Why did I open this thread? :mad:

11. Jedi_Master_Allya

Nov 17, 2000
    Because we Otaku are irresistable? :D

Well... I got the first half of Love Hina... and am quite enjoying it so far, but am starting get weak from lack of mech anime I have piddling around. Need mechs... That reminds me, I have to watch Robotech this weekend ^_^

And glad you're becoming a fan of Dilly-chan. He only gets better as you go along. ^_^ The graveyard scene is one of my favorites. *huggles a Dilly plushie*
    I'm making a website for all my RPG characters... but sadly, geocities is being spooty. *kicks geocities* ^^;; Oh well.

12. jeditictac

Oct 14, 1999
    i need to see esca. why's it soooo expensively cheap :-\

anyway got kodacha to ep 32. i want more. i need more! anyone know where i can get a fansub of anything past that ep?!

i also got the slayers tape and viewed it. :-D i want more ;-D

not much new. gonna get a music dvd of weiss kreuz (my quilty pleasure anime ;-)

also getting a sailor moon r watch :-D

13. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    escafloune is cool i saw that oohh almost 2 years ago.
    lodos war is a good one too.
    my buddy almost has all the evangelion dvds :) even the alternate ending

14. Artemis_Silverbow

Artemis_Silverbow Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2001
    Alright, as promised, here's LordMoltar's anime paper. Remember, he has exams this week and next-so please be nice ;)

History and Humanities in Japanese Animation

What does Pokemon and Princess Mononoke have in common? They?re both popular examples of Japanese animation. This particular form of art has been extremely popular in Japan since the 1960?s, has grown popular in the United States since the 1970?s, and is now a worldwide phenomenon. The animation style has a strong base of fans, referred to as the Japanese term otaku, or ?honorable house? in English. Lately, due to greater exposure, Japanese animation has also started achieving critical success in the States, with the release of many successful anime features. Since the term will be used throughout this paper, anime simply translates into ?animation?. In this paper, the Japanese history of anime will be explored. Afterwards, there will be a discussion on two popular anime series, and how they contain significant elements of Japanese history, along with humanistic influences.

Anime has its beginnings in the early 20th century. As Gilles Poitras explains, ?the earliest examples of commercial animation, produced in Japan, starting around 1917, were fairy tales, of both Japanese and Western origin? (16). But during the years before, and during World War Two, the Japanese government heavily discouraged many forms of art, including animation, unless it was patriotic in nature. The Japanese film industry suffered a great blow in the years following World War Two. Because of damages inflicted by the war, many theaters were destroyed. It wasn?t until the 1960?s that Japanese animation was reborn, into a form that is widely recognized today. The first major creator of anime was Osamu Tekuza. Television was the birthplace for the resurrected animation form. As Poitras explains, ?the ground had been broken. In 1963, Mushi Productions began showing its first TV anime, Tetsuwan Atom (18). That series was later translated and brought over to the States, under the title Astro Boy. Osamu also helped pioneer the anime look, featuring characters with large eyes and small mouths. Osamu said the look was influenced by some of Walt Disney?s character designs. Before his death in 1989, Osamu Tezuka also created many more popular series, like Kimba: The White Lion, Blackjack, and 8-Man. It was Tekuza?s creativity that helped spark a new revolution in anime, and the art form grew enough to have its own separate sub-genres. Some series don?t always fall into easy classification, but the variety of genres in anime is as varied as genres are in the cinematic medium.

One example of an anime genre is the Samurai period piece. A very popular series to fall under that genre was Rurouni Kenshin. It originally premiered as manga series in 1995, created by Nobuhiro Watsuki. The series chronicles the adventures of Kenshin Himura, formerly an Imperial assassin during the revolution leading into the Meiji era. During the course of the series, he runs into many challenges to his now-peaceful ways. They range from enemies that also emerged from the revolution, or those who commit crimes against the Meiji government. According to Poitras, ?The Meiji period (1868-1912) marked the beginning of modern Japanese history? (81). One of the more interesting aspects of Rurouni Kenshin is the connection the series has to Japanese history. It not only features, and takes place in, genuine historical events in Japan, but the series also features characters that mirror certain people involved in the country?s history. One main character in the series, Saitou Hajime, is based off of a real person. He was a member of the Shinsengumi, who were a group of individuals that acted as a police force during the last years of the Edo period. They originated in Kyoto, and their job was to protect the Sho

15. jeditictac

Oct 14, 1999
    cool. i liked your paper :-D and thanks for letting it be posted.

good luck with exams :-D

16. LordMoltar

Jul 25, 2001
    Everyone, I'd like you all to give my lovely Artemis some applause for the wonderful job she did with posting my research paper. :D Thank you again, my dear for helping me post it on here.

And thank you, JediTicTac, for the compliment. I've been learning throughout the course of the week that I only have one exam that I actually have to actively attend next week. But still, I appreciate the well wishes, because I still have one take home quiz, and one take home exam, to complete this weekend. :p Oh well, milady believes in me, and deep down I know I can get through it. Alas, there probably won't be any Anime notes for a while because of these studies. HOWEVER, if I am able to make the time tonight after working on my Theater exam, I'll try watching some of the "Inu-Yasha" episodes Artemis let me copy onto my hard drive this past week. (Speaking of which, it may also be a while before I even POST on here. On Sunday evening, my computer literate cousin Bill will possibly be taking our computer for a while to have some upgrading work done on it.) But rest assured, when I return, I'll have details enough to boggle even the most jaded Otaku's mind. ;)

17. Equinox

Mar 25, 2002
    I watch Princess Mononoke yet again today. I love that movie. I also bought more Ultimate Anime cards and read some Sailor Stars Manga. All and all it's been a pretty good day so far.

18. Artemis_Silverbow

Artemis_Silverbow Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2001
    Mononoke? :D Excellent choice, Equinox ;)

Jeditictac: check your PMs.

19. LordMoltar

Jul 25, 2001
    *Raises hands to mouth, and shouts*

Hey! WHERE IS EVERYONE?!?

:)

I have one minor tidbit of news right now. Well... make that two. One is I may work on a "Star Wars/Anime" crossover eventually. I first need to complete work on my Vader/Mara story, and come up with a way to pull this Anime story off, but essentially it'll be a re-written, and re-casted, version of "The Empire Strikes Back", with characters from "Evangelion". For those of you looking forward to the title, I offer up "The Eva Strikes Back". :D This should be a great deal of fun.

Tomorrow I'm hoping I'm able to go out to a local army surplus store, to see if they have anything remotely similar to Saito's police outfit there. If not, I still have a while before J.A.F.A.X., and there are many used clothing stores in the area. So I'll be giving them a shot, if I don't succeed tomorrow.

After this Saturday, I should have a decent viewing update. (Dates with Artemis tend to deliver new Anime viewing experiences. Ah... watching Anime with my lovely and intelligent girlfriend. Life just doesn't get any better. ;)) Sayonara for now!

20. Equinox

Mar 25, 2002
    So right now I'm watching Tenchi The Movie: Tenchi Muyo in Love. I really love this movie next to Tenchi Forever that is.

21. Jedi_Master_Allya

Nov 17, 2000
    Sorry I haven't been here! I've been grounded from weekday Net use... but in my spare time I've gotten some nice anime stuff finished. I watched Love Hina up to episode 24, read Gundam Wing: Battlefeild Pacifists (I jumped when Dorothy showed up. If I hadn't been in class I probably would have screamed. She looked even scarier than she normally does! o_O) watched Metropolis, and worked on digitally editing pictures.

I put a few of them up at http://www.boomspeed.com/jedi_allya/edit.html

Tell me whether they're any good, please?

22. AquaRose

AquaRose Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    KaZaA is the best for downloading Anime. I downloaded the whole of the series of Gundam Wing a week ago.

23. LordMoltar

Jul 25, 2001
    NNNOOO!!! Anime weekend, and date with lovely Artemis, CRUSHED by foul disease! :( Apparently all the stress I went through these past few weeks wore my body down enough to catch a cold the day before I was supposed to go out on a date with Artemis. So, I have no major Anime updates, as I promised. BUT I am already feeling better, and am already looking forward to trying again this coming Saturday.

Oh, lest I get off track, I do have one minor update. Yesterday I watched one of the episodes of "Inu-Yahsa" that Artemis let me copy onto my hard drive. I thought it was quite entertaining, albeit different from an average "Inu-Yasha" episode. (My favorite dog demon doesn't really do all that much in this episode, but it's clearly explained.)

24. jeditictac

Oct 14, 1999
    ack, i went missing for a bit.

sailor stars manga rocks! i need to buy the last volume.

has anyone seen blue seed and if so is it good.

not much new except i bought a sailor pluto 11" doll (for 5 bucks!) and also got the little sailro moon plush (for 3.34). i love sales! i'm attempting to save up some money and get more fansubs (rest of utena and some sailor moon r). i also want to get the please save my earth dvd but the store didnt' have it in yesterday :-\

25. Equinox

Mar 25, 2002
    Today my friend had a Tenchi party so we watched most of the Tenchi Universe series. I really enjoy that series and I wish I owned it! Oh well I guess I can always go over to my friend's house to watch it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.