main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars and anime

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Jedi_Master_Allya, Jul 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordMoltar

LordMoltar Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2001
    Finally! My lost Anime weekend was more than made up for this past weekend. It all started on Friday, when I watched two episodes of "DiGi Charat" that I downloaded. (That would be episodes 15 and 16, for official records. Episode 15 was... interesting to say the least. It's about a party the cat girls throw, but essentially it's a music video. Still, the song is pretty catchy. :) 16 is a Christmas episode, and that was more traditional with the rest of the series.) Then, on Saturday, I watched volume 4 of "Escaflowne" with the ever lovely, and always treasured Artemis. That was pretty cool, and in this volume I saw some things that reminded me of "Evangelion" a bit. Especially the part about Van bonding physically with his Guymelef. I COULD whine about not seeing enough of Dilandau in this volume, but when he did show up, it was glorious! When he was freaked out by Van's fighting in the last episode of that volume, that was just too awesome. Oh yes, and I have now firmly committed myself to a Saito costume for this year's J.A.F.A.X. I've found a majority of uniform pieces at a local military surplus store as well on Saturday. I have yet to show Artemis the costume pieces, but I'm sure she'll agree it's a step in the right direction towards my costume. And as for yesterday, I watched a tape of "Dragonball Z". I think it was episodes 115-117, part of the "Android" saga. And darnit, the episode ended right before they were about to introduce Androids 17 and 18! Admittedly, I now know why the series bothers me. I absolutely HATE the remixed music inserted into the series for the State-side release! Ugh, what a mess. But the subtitled tape of "Outlaw Star" that I watched was utterly awesome. I am really going to have to watch the rest of this series. Okay, now that I think you all are starting to nod off, I think I'll put an end to this message. Sayonara for now!

2. jeditictac

jeditictac Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 1999
    wish i had more anime i'd watched but all i did was watch slayers dragon slave. now i have no new anime until i get some money (which won't be for a bit cause i'm broke. stupid school. stupid bills). though i did get a miyu artbook that should be arriving soon (too bad it's not manga but the anime's art is nice too)

3. Jedi_Master_Allya

Jedi_Master_Allya Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    Well, in my free time between studying I managed to watch the Sailor Moon 'Lost Episodes'. They were taped from Toonami, but still, I don't think I was supposed to be laughing that hard... I had to wonder a few things:

First and foremost, did they actually listen to the people they got to do the dubbing? Or did they just grab random people off the street?

Second, does Tuxedo Kamen ever do anything remotely useful?

Third, why are the Negaverse people the evil ones? Why not the Sailor Scouts? Is it just because they come from the Negaverse and have tatoos of upside-down moons that makes them evil?

4. Barbara Fett

Barbara Fett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 23, 1999
    Hi... I guess everybody's off doing Star Wars stuff, that's why I'm the only person to post in 2 days... AOTC RULES, by the way...

Did anyone else notice the anime-related list at TFN Humor?
    http://theforce.net/humor/topten/ct10_starwarsanime.shtml

I downloaded the first two episodes of Digimon Frontier this week! They rock!
    If anyone wants to see them, go here:
    http://fet.digifandub.com

5. jeditictac

Oct 14, 1999
    i dunno tuxie is somewhat useful usually...i mean he is a diversion and throws roses and spouts poetry which certainly give the senshi time to beat the villians ;-D

not much new anime wise. been listening to the best of weiss kreuz cd. i really really really like the music :-D

6. Jedi_Master_Allya

Nov 17, 2000
    Hm.... I got half of the first season of Rurouni Kenshin, however, as I'm busy studying (I HATE French!) I don't have time to watch it :( Sorry if I don't post much, but I don't have much time for anything.

7. jeditictac

Oct 14, 1999
    good luck witht he french test :-D

not much new to add except that soon i shall have operations 1-4 plus the endless waltz cds..of course they're not the legit japanese release but one day i hope to have the real deal...until then bootlegs it is

8. LordMoltar

Jul 25, 2001
    I'm sure the French test is over by now, but I wish you luck as well, Allya. (Ah French, the language of love... :D) Ahem, ANYWAYS!

Sorry for the delay in showing up here. From last Wednesday to this past Wednesday, my cousin Bill was working on our computer. Thanks to him, we now have Windows XP installed, a new CD drive (Which supposedly contains a CD burner), and a new 3D card. (I'm still drooling about that. Wow, my computer is so fast now! :)) But this past weekend I had some Anime viewings, along with some readings. Lately I've been watching the video version of "Outlaw Star". Up until now, I never realized just how cool this series was. Right now I'm up to the second volume, but tomorrow when I venture out with my dearest Artemis, I'll probably rent the third volume. (Along with whatever volume of "Escaflowne" we're on right now. Sorry, Artemis, but I can't immediately recall what it is right now. ;)) Secondly, I rented a video collection of a series called "Genesis Survivor Gaiarth". For those of you who want something STRONGLY tied to "Star Wars" to sate your post-"AOTC" fallout, this comes highly recommended. Essentially it's an Anime retelling of the original "Star Wars" trilogy, with some differences. (For example, in this one the Empire is good and the Republic is bad.) It's also a LONG tape. The total running time is 142 minutes. Heck, even the five episode "Kenshin" videos aren't that long! But if you think you aren't too jaded, and aren't too prejudiced over 80's anime, I recommend "Gaiarth" if you can find a copy.

Secondly, I also read the first two volumes of the "Oh My Goddess" Manga. I may have said it before, but I shall say so again: Urd is AWESOME! She's way cooler than Belldandy. I found both books to be quite cute and hilarious. After I'm through fooling with the computer this morning, I'll try reading the third volume before I got to work.

That'll be part of my upcoming update, along with reports on the next volumes of "Outlaw Star" and "Escaflowne", additional costume hunting, and maybe a word or two about "AOTC". (Yeah, yeah, I'm probably the latecomer of the group, since tomorrow is the first time I'll see it, but it'll be with my lovely Artemis, so it's a special event!) Sayonara for now!

9. Jedi_Master_Allya

Nov 17, 2000
    Actually, I can't post regularly until June 18... I have to start studying for the finals now. *sigh*
    But I did manage two hours of Kenshin today... I'm loving it ^_^ And apparently if I get good enough grades I get my very own used car... and be taught how to drive, so I can take myself to the comic store and rent the rest of Escaflowne!

10. Equinox

Equinox Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    Well my last two volumes of Sailor Stars came in so now I own the whole Sailor Moon series of manga in graphic novel format. Now I need to find a new manga series to get hooked on and thus get bankrupt on.

11. jeditictac

Oct 14, 1999
    i need to get the last sailor stars graphic novel....then work on getting the others ;-D

Genesis Survivor Gaiarth is pretty spiffy, even though the animation is kinda dated and the music definately is at parts ;-D if there's only one version of it then i've seen the same one. a bit ago. i really liked the girl (whose name i have forgotten). :)

12. Redjedi5

Redjedi5 Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    While you are correct that Star Wars and some of the better animes (such as Mobile Suit Gundam) share many themes, one must remeber that 80% of all anime (and the modern Japanese culture that spawned it) is just idiotic, purile crap. The various sterotypes associated with anime fans probably scare away people that may have otherwise had an intrest in certain series.

13. LordMoltar

Jul 25, 2001
    TicTac, I think the character you're thinking of is Sahari. She's the only main female character I remember from "Gaiarth", aside from Queen Ayatollah. (It took a surpreme effort to resist yelling at the screen every time she showed up, "Here comes the Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah!" ;) I'm glad to hear you enjoyed "Gaiarth" as well.

Allya, I wish you the best in these next few weeks of torture... OH! I mean, school. :D Seriously, we're all rooting for you. Getting into "Kenshin" is a good thing. I'm still a hopeless addict, though.

Redjedi, I will take my usual path with this subject, and mention that Anime is like any entertainment medium. Not everyone is going to like what is produced, and there are those who absolutely adore every product of the medium. It's all simply a matter of choice.

Ah, what a neato-bandito weekend I had! Of course, I did pay my Memorial Day tributes. (We visited some of my family member's gravesites to give our respects.) But I took in a pretty nice dosage of Anime during the time as well. On Saturday, in the fine company of my most lovely Artemis, we took in the "DiGi Charat" Summer Special. Let me put the experience this way; I found it very hilarious, even though it didn't make a lick of sense. Afterwards, we watched the fifth volume of "Escaflowne". Curse the editors of that video! They left us with such a TORTUROUS cliffhanger at the end of that volume! Also, I was going through a bit of Dilandau withdrawl, since he wasn't featured much in that volume. Oh well, when he did show up, it was interesting to see him flipping out. Oh yes, and the cat girl Guymelef pilots were interesting. Then, on Sunday, I watched the third volume of "Outlaw Star". AISHA CLANCLAN IS ONE OF THE COOLEST CAT GIRLS IN ANIME HISTORY! (You wouldn't happen to think I like her a bit, do you? ;)) I think the best title for this volume was, "Gene Gets His Butt Beaten By Nifty Women". Not only did this volume showcase Aisha, but it also introduced (Suzuka?). She also impressed me a great deal.

Oh, and one final detail. Artemis also gave me some clothing alteration tips for my J.A.F.A.X. costume. Thanks to her wonderful advice, VERY soon I'll be starting work on my costume. I still need to buy a cheap pair of dress shoes and gloves, and actually FIND a toy Samurai sword. (Artemis and I have tried various places locally, and we haven't been able to find a sword.) But I'm getting closer to my one-day transformation into the Last Wolf of Mibu. That's it, mine fellow Otaku. Take care, and sayonara!

14. jeditictac

Oct 14, 1999
    good luck on the costume...and you were right it was sahari. :)

not much new anime wise...i need some money first or else a place that has anime dvds/vhs for rent

15. Artemis_Silverbow

Artemis_Silverbow Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2001
    FTPs not working for you, jeditictac? :( Have you checked your local library? You may be surprised at what you find. Mine's recently acquired 10 or so volumes of "Oh My Goddess" manga(which I am happily reading my way through :D), as well as some "Card Captor Sakura," and "Corrector Yui"(whatever that is :confused:). You could also try making a general nuisance of yourself around video rental places. You know, going in, asking for the anime section, patiently(or not) explaing what anime is to the staff, then making of list of their few meager offerings before leaving in semi-disgust because most of what they do have is older than you are? ;)

I don't have too much in the way of updates either-except for the "Oh My Goddess" manga and the recent viewings LordMoltar's mentioned. I am, however, looking for more fan scans of the "Hellsing" manga. If you happen to know where I can find more then the first 11 chapters, please send me a link :)

I'm going to say it now and beat LordMoltar to the punch 8-} Only 22 days until JAFAX!

16. jeditictac

Oct 14, 1999
    hmm i hadn't seen if the library had any manga. i know they have no anime videos...but maybe manga they'd have. especially card captor sakura and such. well a few blockbuster have a tiny dub anime vhs section...but like the one near me i've gone through almost all of it.

does anyone know of any vampire princess miyu manga artbooks? cause i've seen various film ones but i want a manga one...or at least to know how much they go for ;-D

17. LordMoltar

Jul 25, 2001
    TicTac, you may want to try looking for two rather nice Anime sales sites for the "Vampire Princess Miyu" artbooks. I can't recall their exact addresses right now, but try running a search for Anime Castle and House of Anime. I remember they both had a nice catalog of artbooks. (And if you recall correctly, Artemis, House of Anime helped me find that nifty "Kenshin" artbook for you. ;)) Please let me know if this helps you any, and how your searches go.

*Wipes away a tear of pride* My lovely Artemis, this is truly a glorious day. I KNOW you are a full-blooded Otaku, now that you're actually counting down the days until J.A.F.A.X. I usually wait until the very first day of June to start my countdown. I can GUARANTEE you this year's J.A.F.A.X. will be as memorable, if not more so, than last year's convention. (I know it combines the best of both worlds for me; Anime AND spending time with my fair maiden. :D)

Tomorrow I start a MASSIVE search for the final costume pieces I need, and on Sunday I start work on my uniform modifications. I'm just crossing my fingers that Artemis' recommendations stick in my memory, and I'll do everything properly. Also, I'll be reading the next two volumes of "Oh My Goddess" over the weekend, along with starting to read some manga I've downloaded from a few sites Artemis sent me. As if that wasn't enough, and maybe to gain more inspiration for my costume, I'll be rewatching the "Kenshin" "Kyoto" arc on video. It will help me with some subtle details, like how to pose in the Gotatsu fighting stance. And it's simply a good story, worthy of watching again! So, ta-ta for now!

18. jeditictac

Oct 14, 1999
    i'll have to check out those sites after the 24th (cause i'll be done with summer school).

:) thanks.

no new anime news except i got my miyu film collection artbook. it's not manga based but it's still pretty :-D

19. Barbara Fett

Barbara Fett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 23, 1999
    I had a great time watching the season finale of Digimon today. I got up early to make breakfast according to some of the recipes seen in the show. Frozen bread dough made pretty good, if not entirely accurate, Guilmon bread rolls, and I made some really good fruit smoothies (based on the soup in an episode of Digimon Frontier). The one thing that wasn't very good was Fried Egg á la Mimi - a fried egg with maple syrup and a cherry on top. Syrup does NOT go with fried egg very well, and what's more, it curdles the yolk. Thanks a whole lot, Saban. (go here for an explanation - it's about halfway down the page)

The show ROCKED. The ending was very sweet and sad, even if it didn't have all that much closure to the series. Then after that, I got to go shopping and buy stuff for my Tentomon outfit. I got a plastic trash can lid and red spray paint (for the shell), and a red baseball cap. As soon as I got that hat home, I took two orange pipe cleaners, stuck them in the holes, and bent them back and forth. Ta-da! Tentomon antennae. I will have pictures of all this up on my site eventually.

20. DARTH_ARAKIS

DARTH_ARAKIS Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    You all may like this.

Some of my favorite Anime:

1. Akira
    2. Metropolis
    3. Ghost in the Shell
    4. Vampire Hunter
    5. Gunbuster

21. LordMoltar

Jul 25, 2001
    It's been some time since I last posted on here. Much to report, there is. ;) First off, my darling Artemis has been helping me in many ways lately. For one thing, she's introduced me to many Manga download sites. Thanks to her, I've now started taking in the Manga for "Trigun Maximum", "Hellsing", "Zombie Powder", "Vandread", and "Love Hina". I have yet to try the extreme latter, but all of the former I have read, and enjoyed. (MAYBE I enjoyed "Hellsing" more than the rest, but that's because it's truly unique.) Then, this past Saturday we had a bit of a prep session for J.A.F.A.X. First she helped me with some of my costume pieces. (Again, my darling, I thank you very much. :)) Then she showed me some episodes she downloaded of "Hellsing", "DiGi Charat", and "X". "Hellsing" was as interesting as the Manga, "DiGi Charat" was as... unique as ever, and I still enjoy "X" a great deal. Afterwards, we traveled downtown to a local art college to watch "Metropolis" in their screening room. I was VERY impressed with the film. The story was involving, the characters sympathetic, and the visuals were stunning. I would have to see the film a few more times to really be able to take in everything that's going in in the scenes. After that, we watched the sixth volume of "Escaflowne". (Artemis and I are trying to get through the series before J.A.F.A.X., where they'll be premiering the motion picture.) *Sniffles* I am going through SEVERE Dilandau withdrawl! He wasn't even in the sixth volume. But, as Artemis reminded me, we still have two volumes to go, so he may show up still. As it stands, we plan on devouring the last two volumes this coming Saturday.

My entertainment didn't end yesterday, because I watched the fourth volume of "Outlaw Star" that day. I was impressed with it. But while the Kei pirates are nifty, I still would like to see more of the McDougall Brothers. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that's about it for right now. This week will see more development on my costume, along with more time spent with my lovely Otaku, and even MORE Anime! (On a minor note, my birthday falls on this week as well. A year older, but mentally no more mature than I have ever been. :D) Toodles!

22. Equinox

Mar 25, 2002
    I really haven't done uch anime wise. I bought the Final Fantasy X and Trigun soundtracks.

23. Equinox

Mar 25, 2002
    I also bought a Tenchi Muyo chocolate bar because there was an advertised mini poster on the inside of the wrapper. The only problem is the glue holding the ends of the wrapper pulled of some of the picture so now I have a mini poster with white lines running through it where the picture peeled off.

24. Jedi_Master_Allya

Nov 17, 2000
    Well, Dilly-chan does show up before the end of the series. I'm not particularly looking forward to my Dilandau-less stretch. Today I drew a nice picture of him on my math homework ^_^

Also, despite the flow of studying, I have managed to get some anime in the cracks. I read the first volume of Marmalade Boy and the last volume of Ranma. I finished watching the first season of Kenshin, and am waiting anxiously for the 'Legends of Kyoto'. As soon as school is over I get to see the first DVD of Magic Users Club, and maybe the second and third tapes of Weiss Kruez (I love Schuldig!) and a slight chance that I'll get to see Princess Rouge. Once again I'm trying for a job... this time in July, so I'll have everything out of the way. And all money will be saved for the Con, except the money I spend on Escaflowne and Arc the Lad DVD's ^^;;

25. jeditictac

Oct 14, 1999
    moltar....manga download sites? i want to see them! i want to read hellsing ;-)

anyway, i finally watched the cardcaptor sakura movie. it was great. better than i expected. cute yet sad and more dark. :)

i also saw the first volume of excel saga. it was funny, but not quite as funny as i had expected. still it was unique and i *love* the opening and closing songs ;-) overall i like it, but i like child's toy more.

saw the first volume of boogiepop phantom. now i want the rest. it reminds me of lain (the art style) but it's really interesting. and the ending song rocks! i want more!

saw project a-ko love and robots (the last 3 movie/thingys) and it was great. but i love a-ko so this was bound to be good.

also got sailor moon heart collection 2. i've seen all of s but i saw it cheap so i had to get it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.