main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Archives Episode 1-3 The Prequels

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ColeFardreamer, Nov 6, 2020.

1. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    @Pfluegermeister That is truly one amazing beautiful piece of Art! [face_hypnotized]

I did not see much about Pod Racer Pilots, but I skipped text that was more production related and less story focus. Separatist leader stuff is there definitely.

I did not see Underworld mentioned or else I would have teased it.

Great post and insight.
    Indeed I think the Mortis Ones and Priestesses may have been people once that reached a new level of power and understanding. The 2000 year old Jedi signal used to contact the Jedi and lure them to the Monolith certainly seems to imply that they stem from that time, though Legends made them far older when combining them with its Celestials backstory.

Legends Celestials essentially are not like the Whills but come close and and only some Celestials became Ones. In that regard only some Whills may influence the Ones and Priestesses.

Also note the strong influences of LOST and THE MATRIX had on the Mortis and Priestesses arcs. The Father with Anakin basically is like the Architect of the Matrix with his new Chosen One Neo and we have former and new Chosen Ones kinda meet up and talk different approaches they have. And the Mortis world is the spiritual center as Lost's island was also with a yin / yang dichotomy, also moving like the Mortis monolith, etc.

I love the original backstory Lucas had for the first Forceuser, THE Skywalker and teaching his family only from the old Drafts. I want some of this back, maybe combined with ALIEN EXODUS concepts and married to Ach-To and other stuff somehow.

As you said, some other cultures may come closer to the Cosmic Force than the Personal Force which is very focussed on oneself and ones body. F.e. seers and vision seekers may be more attuned to the Cosmic Force.

The Jedi had many interations and while in hindsight all are called Jedi, even by inuniverse historians we know they may have had different names over the time. Be it Je'daii of Tython, Jedi Bendu, Bendu Monks, etc. or even Jensaarai as a later example. Why not add some new ones with names derived from their alignments and focus? How about some Ashlanites? Boganites? Forcebenders (shameless Avatar Legend of Korra ripoff I know)? Sky-Walkers as in the Unknown Regions? Maybe the Unknown Regions folks like the Chiss call them that because the first Forceuser, the Skywalker, was from the Unknown Regions, given Ach-To is in it as well as other old worlds.

As Lucas said there are way more Whills than Midichlorians and way more Midichlorians than human cells, I see this as a nice paralell to "soul theory" in spirituality. There are way more disembodied souls than incarnated souls. In that regard you could say Whills communicate with/via Midichlorians to talk to Humans, or Whills that go on to be born into human cells become Midichlorians. Like the Whills are the spiritual plane, the Midichlorians are the bridge and shape they take when interacting with the physical plane.

The biological comparison Lucas uses to describe these lifeforms, as monocellular also has a spiritual paralell in esoteric believes. F.e. the human body's energy field, the aura is said to have several layers and the outermost layer is quite ballshaped around us as the closer layers are more and more shaped like our body. From that point of view, the if the bodies shape are let go of, our true form, the luminous beings we are, is circular/ball shaped like monocellular entities Lucas describes. Esoterics even go as far as have these ball shaped luminous souls of light float around and like glowing orbs travel the universe, astral or otherwise. I know for a fact that Lucas read up on all these esoterics, even if not outright quoting them and reworking a lot for his readers/viewers as he said himself.

While Living Force and Cosmic Force are a nice distinction, the naming of Persnal Force vs. The Force of Others finally clears up why he named it like that in his original drafts.

Also his stance of Jedi not being wizards or superheroes with superpowers he repeats in this book shows that Jedi mostly use their personal Force for improvement, much like Buddhist monks reach new heights of what their bodies can endure and do with training. Lucas even emphasies how important training is and that untrained Forceuse is possible but hardly as good and mighty.

As per Lucas, even the tiny monocellular creatures are divided in good and bad Whills. He actually gets into that. He says they have to be or else the entire universe wouldn't work.
    That ties into how Mortis and the Force Priestess arc showed the Force not separated in good or bad, but light being creation and dark being destruction. Both are inherently natural principles necessary for life and death cycles and evolution, neither of them bad. Either can though go bad when out of balance and unchecked. When the natural balance between creation and destruction is gone, there is either too much creation leading to the risk of everything dying and the universe ending, or with creation unchecked by death and destruction, we see the end of the world from overpopulation, extinction of ressources and food by unchecked growth etc. and ultimately also leading to the end of all things.

That is Lucas Dark Side. The loss of balance, the disruption of the natural symbiosis of all things. But in balance, creation and destruction check each other naturally. So you have to have Whills, people, etc. that destroy alongside those that create. And given everyone does both, maintain the balance within each person.

Given Lucas mentioned there being more Midichlorians than human cells, yet them being born in them, I consider this that Midichlorians can exist without human life, but can choose to be born into one. But no human can exist without them.
    If it is multilayered, one might say Whills do not only communicate with/via Midichlorians, but some Whills incarnate into Midichlorians.

As in Lucas cosmology Whills, Midichlorians, Humanity etc. are both, biological and spiritual at the same time, luminous and physical, I am sure they can be killed. But for humanity that would mean suicide. And killing is not final, going by soul theory again, you just kill the body, not the soul, which is energy and as per energy conservation law can never be killed only transformed.

Kreia can try as many times as she wants to kill them and the Force... she can take the bodies, stall them, but never end them. Or as Severus Snape would say in the voice Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park: Life finds a way, Always!

So I am no longer the only one with the book? Nice!

Can you elaborate some more on that awesome image for me please? I'd like to discover all its hidden nuggets and wonder what else I might have missed in analysing it.

Sauron_18 likes this.
  2. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Of course! There's gonna be a lot, and of course I'm not interested in derailing the thread, only to make sure it keeps one part of its attention on the things from the book I happen to prefer. I've invited you into the think tank for this painting, if you truly want to get into the weeds like I do.

I can give you all a couple tidbits now, of course: if you split the painting height-wise into thirds, the bottom third, representing the body, uses imagery from Ahch-To and the mosaic of the Prime Jedi, just really spruced up; the middle third, representing mind, is split into two aesthetics - Coruscant and the Jedi Temple on the right, and Malachor and the Sith on the left (light and dark side icons from the Mortis arc are included); the top third, the spirit, of course uses imagery from the World Between Worlds. And at least part of the point is to aesthetically unify not just different worlds, but the different trilogies and the series to date into a cohesive whole.

Quid pro quo, Clarice: any more juicy Lucas esoteric tidbits? ;)

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Honestly I'm torn of if I want this or how much of this would actually work

All the force stuff is cool...So i'd keep that

Maul though...I am not sure...Like it really does feel random, and I've always like Maul's story to stay in the Prequel Era...Although Rebels made me buy his story in OT era as well.

I do think in the long run setting the post ROTJ era in real time (Aka 30 years after the OT) made more sense.

I think will all this said the problem is that we have essentially two different tones of Star Wars

the OT tone

and the PT tone

I feel like a perfect ST would be one to mix both tones and I'm not sure this would have only done one way or the other.

Tho Yor likes this.
  4. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I think Lucas ST even if sounding not finalized yet in the state we learned about it, was going there for a Synthesis in tone of OT and PT.

As for Maul, fans wanted something Plagueis all over the ST. I don't see why Maul would not work in his place. One might go arcane and have Plagueis survive Palpatines assassination via Maul, bodyhopping into Maul maybe. But that merging of both characters is unnecessary if you ask me, merely a bone to fans who want Plagueis.

Essentially, I think Lucas ST might have married the PT and OT nicely in that he kept a timejump between the first and other movies like in the PT. That allows the first movie to be the most OT in feeling and keeps the others to be something new, yet stylistically remniscient of the Sequels. Given this is post ROTJ, the first movie needs to feel post-war-trauma rebuilding world with ruins and coping. The others then show how the world gradually despite some leftover cleanup conflict situations returns to shiny PT era style with ships and architecture bridging the OT back to a PT level style but in a new merged way. But all that is more Art Department stuff and rarely in treatments. Remember Lucas is a very visual storyteller where every color, background detail, the music, architecture, style tells as much of the story, feelings and gravitas as the dialogue and front and center action does.

Also given Maul's age, and Darth Talon shouldering the turning someone to the Dark Side, he'd be like the Emperor, a known antagonist but not seen much. She is the front and center villain and feels very future and Legacy era where she was lifted from. Visually PT, storywise, ST, dealing with the OT leftovers.

5. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Maul as the overarching villain of the ST is immediately more appealing to me, purely because his character under Lucas and Filoni became more interesting to me than what we got out of Snoke and Palpatine in the ST.

And I can’t stress enough how much I would have preferred Crime Lords and criminality as the main threat compared to the Empire 2.0

6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean everything sounds interesting in concept compared to execution but honestly it just seems thematically ....eh.

Like if Lucas had made it in the context of the times maybe but if it was what they went with in the years 2015-2020...IDK...Doesn't really ring much to me.

Granted I wonder if Lucas was readjusting things (which he does...a lot) he would have brought back the Empire in some form to match with the climate

Again all sorta depends on the context of which he was writing these and what years.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2020
  7. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Looking at those interviews, he references ISIS and things going on in the Middle East.....I don’t think I have to tell you, but within 2015-2020, those problems were very topical and very relevant. They’re still relevant.

Maybe they don’t directly parallel what’s going on in the United States, but that doesn’t mean those problems are any less valid, or that people haven’t suffered and struggled because of them.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Allegories for historical events can also be interesting. Perhaps Lucas also had the fall of the USSR and the beginning of the Middle Ages in mind.

SyndicThrass likes this.
  9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

eh the grass always seems greener when we don’t know how it could have turned out regardless

I’m happy with what we got at the end of the day and all these ideas are being retooled in some form anyway.

10. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Imagine any Sequels had taken current political events into account... while still being based in Lucas ideas?

Then we might have Leia post ROTJ loose her chancellorship re-election to a populist idiot who likes to tweet on the Holonet. All her rebuilding effort cut short and turned upside down, criminal elements rise and threaten NR member worlds everywhere. And amidst the high-crime chaos come the former Stormtroopers with their ISIS like Remnant state and offer protection and order the NR fails at. Worlds jump at the opportunity as their last straw and boost the Stormtrooper Remnant who actually work for the same guy that is controling the criminal elements plaguing the galaxy.. Maul, showing what he learned from his master on how to play both sides of the game.

It takes not long then till the New Republic looses members fast and is at risk of provoking a second Clone Wars scenario if they should prevdent secession by military force. But if they let them leave they'd also shrink to nothingness.

In this Chaos the new too young and untrained Jedi of Luke try to hold back the tides of crime and Stormtroopers, underequipped and refusing to take command of New Republic Forces like the Jedi of old did in the Clone Wars. Leia, no longer a politician and also a Jedi still, leads the Jedi to neutrality despite some claiming they have to support the Republic. She does not found a new Resistance. But she looses a kid that does disagree and prefer to take action and lead the military.

That kid then kinda LOTF GAG style leads Forces against crime and stormtrooper state, as Leia slowly sees her son fall with every battle a bit further. As the neutral Jedi intervene to save both sides, they come also in conflict with her son and the Republic for he refuses to see their neutrality and wonders why they protect the enemy too.

His sister, or another Jedi girl will rise to oppose him and be the apprentice of Luke and Leia. The Jedi face a dilemma, pull out and let them have their NR-Stormtrooper State war, or stay and face fire from both sides as if a three way war they cannot survive. Many Jedi die for their newfound ideals, especially the older ones not willing to repeat the Clone Wars.

Amidst war, a new threat emerges, a plague not even the Stormtrooper state can protect members from. As healthcare and other services are at a low due to wartimes, it spreads like wildfire on both sides as if nature acts or god sends plagues. The Jedi refocus their efforts to healing and saving who they can as the war rages on around them.

Leia's son puts on a mask to not get infected as do many others. Becoming like the faceless Stormtroopers they fight, both sides more alike than they think. With the Jedi being too young, mostly children now having lost so many older ones, the children instinctively use the Force to heal and protect and surprise even Leia as they start a Children's Crusade kinda, joined even by many non-Jedi children. GFFA's Kids for a better Future kinda attract many more and the people rise up to take care of themselves.

to be continued...

Deliveranze likes this.
  11. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    Even though there would be no big Empire the idea of a few factions led by Imperial warlords maybe united by Maul as part of his syndicate could have been interesting. It's something that I'm wondering if the Mandalorian Season 2 will do once we catch up with Gideon. Learn about any other possible Imperial warlord survivors and maybe there's another faction planning something even worse and he has to team up with the Mando or Gideon is working for someone. I know a little off topic but it feeds into the pitch a little and again shows Lucas drawing from EU and also something that's been repurposed into new canon.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Really? If anything it says Lucas's really doesn't care about the EU and is just gonna do what he's gonna do.

Alexrd likes this.
  13. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    That part is true. I'm saying more in the sense he took something that happened in the EU and then utilised it again for his own material. But again it's possible George also thought of ideas like remnants being around and a New Jedi Order and the story of the grandchildren. Those seem to be the most consistent ideas shared between George and the EU and the rest he either worked through it and approved of things but at the same time he wouldn't be afraid to pave it over and I mentioned in another post how this ties to the Maul game you can kind of see that when you hear the story of what the pitch meeting between him and the developers was like.

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Uh... "Generational saga's next part tells story of the next generation" does not seem like the sort of thing that required Lucas to be familiar with the EU.

Alexrd likes this.
  15. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I loved the political allegories seen in the PT era and LOTF. Hearing Lucas was inspired by global events of the early to mid 2010s sounds fascinating

16. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I mean, even look at the Original Trilogy. For all the real life political elements and influences that were lauded like with the Vietnam comparisons, the Nixon administration etc...those things weren’t current when those films came out. Lucas always had an eye on the past, whether it’s recent or further back.

17. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Here's a more complete transcript on the midi-chlorians tidbits.
    — George Lucas

18. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Sings from Grease: "Tell me more, tell me more..." [face_love];)8-}

19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    So what was the journal of the Whills ? or were they something different back then?

20. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I consider the Journal of the Whills to be the inuniverse version of the "palm leaf library". A chronicle of the universe's history from beginning to end, composed by those who can see it all from their timeless realm. Or in other words, kinda the GFFA's "Akasha Chronicle".

21. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Here's what's funny: I know the author over Facebook; I don't like to presume on that beyond cracking the occasional joke or compliment, if only because he's a busy man and I'm not a stalker (but I must say that over the past months he has been a huge supporter of my Force painting project, always there with the occasional "heart" or compliment on my updates about it; hell, he even went out of the way to send me birthday wishes!).

That's not to boast or anything, far from it; it's only to set up that I had the following cute little exchange with him yesterday, after the first of the revelations came out here on this thread regarding the Whills:

ME: So, did he [George] say how one-celled lifeforms were supposed to have been able to keep a journal?
    PAUL: I believe "A Journal of the Plague Year" was written by Daniel Defoe, not the Plague.
    ME: Touche.

22. cherifzachary

cherifzachary Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 16, 2018
    About Sifo Dyas thing here is an old thread of people speculating that dyas was an apprentice of sidious : https://www.killermovies.com/forums...ion-darth-maul-was-jedi-master-sifo-dyas.html
    I think the thread was inspired by a fake leak made by supershadow its funny to think he got one thing right.
    Before the release of the force awakens there was a fake plot leak on 4 chan that implied that max von sydow would be playing Sifo Dyas. The 4 chan leaker did not say it explicitly but people on the thread figured it out he was hinting about sifo dyas and he gave a semi confirmation by comparing the rumor of dyas being dead to the lie obi wan told luke about his dad being dead. I only bring it up to point out the fun coincidences

I loved Maul in TCW and seeing him as a big bad in the Sequel Trilogy would work on many levels. The clone wars makes a point of showing how the underworld flourished because of the war distracting the jedi. We see slavers and mandalorians extremist taking the opportuinty to rise up and I could see them being the back bone of darth maul's hold on the outer rim. The imperial remnant throwing in with pirates would strengthen the comparaison of the empire with parasitism. I could see some core world not wanting to help the outer rim world's for selfish reason. I could also see some new republic members being under the influence of Maul and sabotaging the republic from the inside. I could see Maul use his influence to have the new republic's deep state to kill any politician that would stand up against his goals. I am thinking of the conspiracies surrounding the jfk assassination and the mob's role in it. I don't think Maul would want to build an empire in the open. He would want the imperial remnants and the new republic to keep fighting to weaken each other so that there is not strong government to counter his underworld empire. Big businesses would side with Maul because they also want the governments to be weak so they are not regulated. I could see Leia forming a resistance to navigate this murky political situation. This situation reminds me of not only the war on terror but the war on drugs. I love the idea of seeing maul as a Pablo Escobar figure from narcos constantly out running the authorities while also funding various militias to weaken the government hunting him down. I could see the Son of Leia falling to the darkside while hunting down Maul and taking over the New Republic Jacen Solo style by beefing it's security apparatus. This way he would be a parallel to the neo cons who led the US to Iraq and the Cold Warriors who led us to vietnam. I could see Maul using his dathomirian ancestry and his access to palpatine's contingency plans to perform a ritual involving the force dyad and mortis to become a god of sorts. If mother Talzin could still be involved and it turns out that she is an abeloth like figure I think that she could be an excellent final obstacle for the heroes to over come. Maybe she is turned into a plague of sort that is unleashed by Maul in the final film. Maybe the plague is designed to somehow affect life in a negative way and therefore weaken the whills and the force so that Maul can replace them.
    If I was writing the story I would use Cronal from the expanded universe as an advisor to Maul. Both of them are from dathormir and Cronal was a master of manipulating midichlorians and the shadow head of imperial intelligence. He would back maul because he is a nihilist who believes that a sith victory would start a wave of entropy that would wipe out existence.
    The knights of ren would be jedi who side with the son of leia because they come from the crime ridden territories of the rim and the unknown regions and they want to help their homeworld (think of the revannites from Kotor)
    I believe that in one of the drafts of duel of the fates there was suppose to be a civil war within the first order (this is where the red and white stormtrooper designs come from) between kylo ren and a female apprentice of snoke. In this version of the sequel trilogy the son of han would go up against darth talon. The faction of new republic following the Son would look alot like the former empire in the same way the GA under Jacen looked like the empire in legacy of the force.

Here are the infromation we still dont have from Lucas's sequel ideas:
    Why did the Son fall to the darkside and when did it happen? The character of Finn was created when the decision to make the son the jedi killer was made. In early drafts Finn and Kylo where the same character. Thee co-protagonist of the first sequel movie was supposed to be seduced to the darkside by talon during the course of the movie. However at some point the decision was made to have luke exiled haunted by the betrayal of a student who became the jedi killer posing as vader. I believe this decision was made when the character of talon was ditched but before the jedi killer became the Son of han and leia (unless he is the son of leia and luke following the athurian model of mordred).
    It seems that Maul was ditched at some point and was replace by uber who became snoke who became palpatine. I have to say the original concept art of Uber with Talon is quite similar to the concept art of Tor Vallum from the unproduced duel of the fate. I think that at one point Lucas and then JJ were interested in exploring the idea of a villain that was behind palpatine. Marquand the director of return of the jedi even hinted there was a supreme intellect that still needed to be vanquished in a sequel trilogy. In a published interview between Alan Dean Foster and Lucas the latter mentions an ultimate evil that is the dark side of the force on the verge of personification that vader answers to. This supreme intellect slash ultimate evil could be multiple characters. A returned Palpatine ( he does say he is all the sith in ros) someone manipulating palpatine from afar, a former mentor of palpatine or a grandmaster of the sith or some kind of lovecraftian entity maybe some kind of corrupted whill or celestial (the creatures from mortis).

From what I understand, the 12 movie plan Lucas had came from when he wrote a new hope. Episode 4 was episode 6 at the time. episode 1 one would have the origin story of the jedi and sith. episode 2-4 would have the clone wars and episode 5 was left blank. I think its important to point out that originally the rise of the empire took place after the end of the clone wars. episode 6-8 was the original trilogy. 9-11 the sequel trilogy which would explain why lucas joked to mark hamill that luke would cameo in episode 9 as an obi wan figure passing on excalibur during the production of a new hope. Episode 12 was an epilogue. Lucas also wanted a spinoffs about wookies and droids. Around the time of empire strikes back Lucas made changed his mind and only wanted nine movies. He had rough oultine for a sequel trilogy featuring the sister of luke and climaxing with a final duel with the emperor in the ninth movie. Originally boba fett and the hutts would have played a bigger role in the 6th movie and vader and luke would have a brief team up to make amends for vader sins. Its unclear if vader would have died in the movie after the team up but anyway he would have been dead by the beginning of the sequel trilogy. This plan was cut short by the actual return of the jedi. Part it resurfaced in the Dark Empire trilogy.

Lucas came up with a new sequel trilogy in the 2010's when working on the clone wars. In fact I think he indirectly mentions in the archive book that the cost of making the clone wars tv show and the failure to launch star wars underworld were some of the reasons why his company was having financial difficulties. To keep it going he would have needed to make a sequel trilogy. The fan reaction and the fact that he was raising a new kid made him want to not direct. He came up with few pitches when Iger approached him. Michael Ardnt came in after and revised those pitches. Later JJ made his own pitches for the trilogy based on Michael Ardnt's work. Rian Johnson did his own thing. Treverrow worked on a least versions for duel of the fate including one where there was civil war with the first order and a female villain. JJ wanted to use matt smith as a new rival for kylo ren but he then settled on using palpatine. Its possible that Palpatine appeared in both the outline made Ardnt and JJ. There are clues to him having a contingency plan in the aftermath trilogy. Snoke was supposed to be sometime of ancient being before being turned into a strandcast. Maybe he was always suppose to be a puppet for palpatine but we don't know

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    QuinlanSolo and ColeFardreamer like this.
  23. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    The one film that I wish we had more info on was Episode II. How did Lucas decide what he wanted the Clone Wars to be about? Did he know the wars would be a civil war between Republic loyalists and secessionists during Episode I? Or did he figure that out after Episode I was released? Did he have other concepts for the war that he decided to reject?

24. harryhenry

harryhenry Jedi Master star 1

Apr 19, 2015
    Not to toot my own horn, but Paul's comment is what I assumed as well. It's OF the Whills, not "WRITTEN BY the Whills".

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I always wondered if Lucas changed the character of Palpy between ESB and ROJ in that he seems more the cold calculating intellectual in ESB and then more of a cackling maniacal type in ROJ . Maybe this was just a case of evolving the character as he became a central player in ROJ, perhaps Lucas just felt that an intellectual type wouldn't play so well in the emotional drama.