main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Archives Episode 1-3 The Prequels

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ColeFardreamer, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Othon

Othon Jedi Knight

Jul 9, 2020
    The worldbuilding George describes for the sequels sounded great. At the very least I think that would've been generally well recieved like it was for the prequels regardless of the main narrative.

I wonder if George would've resurrected the idea of the chancellor being a puppet leader in his sequels and Maul was the one secretly in control of the New Republic or at least was trying to buy or blackmail senators into undermining Leia's efforts. The political aspect of this trilogy sounds really interesting. And the warlords leading stormtrooper factions on different planets with their own unique armor designs like the RotS clones, the Hutts and the other crime syndicates, very cool.

2. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    Given George said he regretted using human Storm Troopers I wonder if the Dark Troopers would have been utilised instead?

3. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    I wish we had gotten George's ST. The storyline sounds really interesting and Luke deserved to recreate the Order just like George always intended.

Darth Nobunaga and ChildOfWinds like this.
  4. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    That's deliberate. The conflicts/themes/villains/characters the OT/PT are different. The movies themselves are the product of different eras (late70s/early80 and 2000s). For example the PT really emphasizes the JediVsSith conflict to the point that it recontextualizes the Star Wars Saga while within the OT imo, it's far more about the Empire vs Rebellion with LukeVsVader as only being a part of it. One of the things I think the ST should have done is continue the trend and develop its own themes and aesthetics. The Star Wars Underworld/Outlaws imo really deserves their own set of movies like what the PT did for the Jedi.

5. cherifzachary

cherifzachary Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 16, 2018
    In te original drafts of the empire strikes back Palps was not the sith master but he was a talented politician who manipulated the republic into turning into an empire and hired the sith to protect him from the jedi. He had some degree of awareness of the force. The sith master was named Valorum and he went unseen. I wonder if the naming convention for valorum inspired the name Tor Vallum. The earlier drafts of a New Hope had the emperor be a puppet leader of the bureaucracy but this was changed when Lucas decided to make the emperor a nixonian figure. He later made the emperor a sith lord after he merged vader and anakin.

gezvader28 and ColeFardreamer like this.
  6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He didn't say that.

Daneira likes this.
  7. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Oh yeah, Tor Valum’s name is definitely based on Valorum’s. And it does tie closer to that character that name was originally attached to. Personally I think Trevorrow may have adapted part of JJ’s backstory for Snoke in creating Tor Valum. But, as cool as the character sounds, Trevorrow used him so little that it would’ve really just made things more complicated.

cherifzachary likes this.
  8. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    @ColeFardreamer
    Apparently GL mentioned this in the book.

• Sidious would be from a lineage that founded the Sith Lords with Darth Ruin

• Descendant of Sidious would be in the ST

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  9. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Lineage can mean blood or also not related but connected otherwise like training, etc.

Gesendet von meinem FP2 mit Tapatalk

Daneira likes this.
  10. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Lol, I was about to ask about this. I know it was brought up in discussions here, so I wondered if perhaps the Reddit user thought it was from the book rather than just a topic discussed.

I agree that “lineage” is not necessarily about blood. But I’m curious if the name “Darth Ruin” was used. I thought that was something Abel Peña came up with. Heck, I’m not convinced Lucas came up with “Darth Bane,” and that one’s more closely linked to him.

11. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I understand that but what about the descendant bit? What's the quote? I know you can explain but I think context matters as we can see with all the clickbait articles it can easily be misinterpreted.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    None of that is in the book.

13. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Okay, that confirms what I thought. They probably took it from the discussion on this thread (which is what the post links to). Thank you!

14. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Did GL mention anything new about the Jedi prophecy in the book? Is there anything else about the Whills than what was mentioned already? What did he say about Padme's death?

15. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Can't quote or take pictures of something I didn't see in the book ;)

The Sith History/Lineage thing should be the one I already spoiled earlier in the Rule of Two section.

The ST parts mention "descendants", but not tied to Palpatine. They are mentioned in general as descendants of OT characters or the Solos.

But I'll check the book for something else later anyway and might as well go over some sections again to see if there is anything I missed, but doubt it.

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    If anything, Darth Bane is indirectly referred to when Lucas explains the history of the Sith:
    --
    Only what he had already said in the past about Anakin being the Chosen One, and his conception being akin to being "touched by God".

Both are mentioned. I'll post about those two topics later.

17. Starwarsfan9000

Feb 24, 2012
    He talks about regretting using humans antagonists here and tries to say the Storm Troopers maybe weren't human.

THE CHOSEN ONE

George Lucas:
    When writing the movies, I tried to make sure that aliens and droids got killed, but not people.

Paul Duncan: A lot of stormtroopers died.

George Lucas: That's right, but you didn't know they were people. We did kill three humans and that was unfortunate. I was always bothered by it.

Paul Duncan: When was that?

George Lucas: On the Death Star, when Han and Luke go into the prison with Chewie to rescue Leia, they shoot three Imperial guys. The guards drew their guns and fired first, but it's still a shame.

Paul Duncan: Really?

George Lucas: Yeah, we very consciously didn't kill very many humans in those movies.

Paul Duncan: What about the stormtroopers? They look robotic, but they're not.

George Lucas: How do you know what they are?

Paul Duncan: Did you have a different idea of what they were?

George Lucas: Yeah, they started out as clones. Once all the clones were killed, the Empire picked up recruits, like militia.

They fought, but they weren't very good at what they did.

Paul Duncan: That's why they kept missing.

George Lucas: That's why they kept missing. Then after the Rebels won, there were no more stormtroopers in my version of the third trilogy.

Darth_Zidious and QuinlanSolo like this.
  18. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    He had an issue with "killing" human stormtroopers, that's not the same thing as having issue with human stormtroopers.

19. Starwarsfan9000

Feb 24, 2012
    Well I guess it would be he used the human Storm Troopers at the time but if he were to use them again they wouldn't be human anymore is what I think he's trying to say. If people donned the Trooper getup they'd be aliens or droids hence the idea of maybe Dark Troopers being used or something like that idea.

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, he doesn't. He's explaining that he regretted showing the heroes casually killing humans in an arguably explicit manner. The stormtroopers were human, but they had helmets, they were masked. It's different, it wasn't visually explicit. It's the same logic behind the Han/Greedo confrontation. It had to be explicitly shown to be self-defense.

21. Starwarsfan9000

Feb 24, 2012
    I guess but they'd have to be killed in someway and even if they had helmets on they are still human so they are being killed and would have to be killed by humans if they themselves didn't want to be killed. Greedo is an alien which he says is okay though he still made the infamous change anyway to give Greedo a fighting chance as to not make Han look cold blooded even though we could recognise it was self defence without Greedo needing to shoot him as a threat. Pointing the gun was enough than the shot was added. Regardless I guess I read that differently and really it was again to wonder if George would take an EU idea to add to what's left of the Imperial Remnant or the crime lords. I could see Dark Troopers making their way into the Mandalorian somewhere though.

22. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Lucas intention is to stay family friendly. It's not about killing them, its about how the visual distinction can be made between heroes and villains doing it. The problem is not with killing humans, mask or not. It's that the heroes only kill the faceless tools of the empire, despite them being humans, be it stormtroopers, Tie-Pilots, cruiser crews or else. The unseen casualities of war. And the villains killing people with a face. The exception to that is the detention block guards that are helmetless and shot.

Likewise, the beginning of ANH had the villains slaughter the Tantive IV soldiers. While ok for the villains to do that, Lucas still regrets to have shown that too direct for the family friendliness he intends to uphold. He wants his media to be kidfriendly and the movies got each one or two scenes bordering on something darker.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It's more than wanting it to be kid friendly. It's being conscious of the outreach of his voice through his works and being aware of the message he wants to convey, promote and pass on to the next generation.

Def Trooper and ColeFardreamer like this.
  24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    @Ancient Whills Regarding Padmé:

Nothing new. Just a confirmation of what the movie already tells us.

25. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Palpatine's lineage is alluded to in the Plagueis novel. His father Cosinga says to him 'I don't know what or who you are descended from' or something like that. Also, a point is made about the Palpatine name, and not only about his new name Sidious.

(Retrospectively, and taking that Mizzlewump leak into account, that would be Ruin/Ren. Maybe the original throne guy in Exegol)

Probably this came from Lucas, or he was at least ok with it. This was just a year before selling the company.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Sinrebirth likes this.