main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Star Wars: Black Sheep: Tales from the Squadron (Always Accepting New Players!)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Vehn, Oct 31, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt.Matt

Sgt.Matt Jedi Master star 2

May 12, 2018
    GM APPROVED!
    Secondary Character Application:

Character's Name: Pudge

Callsign: None

Species: Whiphid

Rank/Affiliation: Cook

Languages: Basic and Whiphid

Residence: The Intrepid’s Kitchens

Home Planet: Toola

Approved Special Features (any force sensitivity would go here [​IMG] ): N/A

Character Traits:

Personality: Grouchy, cantankerous, and the apotheosis of a no-nonsense frontier cook. Pudge is blunt and honest to a fault; he tells the truth as it is and doesn’t sugar coat serious matters. However, he does have a sociable heart hidden deep and can be compassionate to those that are dealing with starvation or other horrible atrocities by the Empire’s machinations. Although this has also led him to have a deep contempt for those who act wasteful with food, the Whiphid is not afraid to aggressively callout those who toss out his work out of distaste, generally he hates tossing of needed nutrition.

Habits/Mannerisms: Smokes a Marcan pipe when relaxing in the kitchens. Has a slight tendency to nickname those he meets, giving them one based on how well they treat the furry coot.

Likes: Cooking, Hunting, Smoking Spaces, Arm Wrestling, and giving the Imps a good what for!

Dislikes: Wastefulness, Imperials, Partisans, Hypocrisy, and those who ask him to do “fine dining”

Racial Traits: Wooly fur and thick blubber has provided generous protection against wintery elements. Also, has a long lifespan of 249 standard years, granting a good amount of time to hone his skills.

Strengths and Weaknesses:

Physical Strengths and Weaknesses: Has a well-honed musculature from hunting wild beasts like the Ravinak or MotMot or Mudhorn; the furry cook has gained a strength not quite on the level of species like the Houk or Wookie but he’s strong enough to hunt massive prey. However, the Whiphid’s durability is rather moot, the old cook can be brought down by regular blaster bolts or stun shots.

Mental Strengths and Weaknesses: Pudge is a skilled cook, hunter, and forager in environments where their is low supplies. He can manage whipping up a dish on low-quality or alien ingredients. But due to this rather selective choice of skills, Pudge has zero to no formal training as a pilot or combatant, and prefers to be ignorant towards what he derisively calls “fine dining”.

Emotional Strengths and Weaknesses: When concocting a meal in the mess kitchens, hunting a reek on the plains, or dealing out cuisine to POWs; Pudge remains professional in his role as a military chef. The furry cook keeps a sharp tough head on his job and ignores all complaints when working, even if it’s from a rival commander or higher member of the Alliance. Sadly, this mindset has not won him any social favors with the others in his prior work with an unnamed Rebel cell.

Looks:

Appearance: Pudge is a male Whiphid with a stout, muscular frame befitting his nomadic species. For garments, he wears a nerf-hide bandolier when out hunting; and a stained green apron when cooking in the mess.

Picture: N/A

Eye Color: Grey

Hair/Fur: Golden Brown (Like a Twinkie!)

Skin Color: Cream

Clothing: Bandolier and Green Apron. (very minimalist.)

Personal History:

Immediate Family: Unnamed Tribe

Spouse/Children:None

Biography:

Pudge’s childhood is a mystery, from what some veterans of his time could recount was that the Whiphid grew up in one of the dozen nomadic tribes on Toola years before the Battle of Naboo. He joined the Republic armed forces afte the finishing of the first conflict on Geonosis; serving out of some form of respect for the military that saved him from slavery years back, though what incident they saved him from is only known to certain vets at this point. Applied as the resident cook and scrounger for any designated unti he was assigned to, Pudge made great use of his skills as a former hunter gatherer to bring back meals on harsh terrain. Many of the clones he served with had noted that his meals were greasy in taste but were built to keep them sated for long periods of time. Despite being in his late forties, the furry behemoth garnered a rep for not just feeding troops but also providing nourishment to locals who were being starved by CIS forces, the cook was not one for seeing others to starve.

As Order 66 kickstarted the end of Pudge’s military career, the Whiphid spent time drifting off from mercenary unit to militia groups, always moving to aid others similar to the Republic of old. Although, more and more, he lost said groups as the Empire cracked down on anything that resembled older ideals during the Clone Wars. As he laid in a rut, drinking himself to cool off the horrors he saw on the battlefield, the furry scrounger desired to have purpose again.

This was answered by a hidden Rebel recruitment officer who had seen the Whiphid's plight and offered him a chance at joining a greater cause. A cause that brought back memories for the old cook.

Miscellaneous:

The reason for Pudge’s loyalty to the Republic was from a small, forgettable mission titled “Operation: Baron”, the Whiphid was one in many of his species enslaved by bantha-baron and slaver, John Dalt. Dalt and his clan were of well-known prominence in the CIS inner circle for providing slave labor, along with a generous profit from the Hutts or Zyggerrians. Setting up a small ranch on the tundra planet, Dalt began working out a steady profit that garnered attention from Republic spies. Not one for seeing those being slaved, the spies made certain arrangements for Jedi and his apprentice to put an end to this matter. The Jedi in question, Qui-Gon Jinn, and his apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi; both went on to demolish said slave business that it left Dalt in hot water with both the undercover CIS and Hutt forces.

Pudge would swear gratitude to the Republic for saving him and his people from the slavers, though he never got the chance to thank the “space wizards” for saving him.

Pets: N/A

Weapons: Wookie Long-Gun.

Tools: Kitchen Tool Case and a few tarps for collecting food ingredients.

Starship Qualifications: N/A (He’s more of a passenger than anything, poor guy never learned how to fly during his previous military career.)

Droid: N/A

Reason for Joining the Black Sheep: Pudge was transferred to the Black Sheep from his unit on the frigate, The Sanguinity. He does not know why exactly, usually military superiors only transferred him if another unit lacked a mess cook, though he has heard rumors about the ship Admiral being distrustful of aliens. Not one for questioning this and rather eager to serve a new group that isn’t arguing with him for “Risshii Eel Caviar” or other fancy frak, he quickly packed his things for the ship.
    -0-

IC: Pudge
    Mess Prep In The Hall

"Hmmmm? Which should I prep for today's mealtime?" Pudge looked over his recipe book, he was still getting used to this new ship and the structure around it. The troops here seemed like a nice bunch and the rest weren't as judging, how his old unit on the frigate transferred him was a mystery. However, he had no time to ponder the other frigate actions, lunch time was about to happen later than usual. "Meh, I'll give em a surprise they wouldn't notice, hah!"

The Whiphid had picked out a recipe in his book and one that correlated with a little thing he brought back from the Sanguinity, taking a moment to wash his hands at the small sink he had in the mess kitchen. Pudge opened up the fridge where the former cooks kept their ingredients that weren't in deep storage; he was happy to tuck this in secret as a little housewarming gift for his new unit. "There you are, thank the force you didn't freeze solid" Pudge pulled out a furry brown melon from the cold box, he was lucky that Mudhorn eggs don't freeze up easy. Previously, his past unit had a small clutch of them for celebrations, the cook believed that they wouldn't notice one egg missing from their carton. "And unbroken as you were when I smuggled ya in, now what should I use else?" Chef then began to turn gears in his head, until he then started to pull out a few smaller morsels from the fridge, a few leftovers from the last few mealtimes.

Let's hope I can scramble up some Mudhorn Chili with the egg this time, usually the recipe has it with both the egg and meat of the beast, but I guess some improvising is not bad He laid down his ingredients onto his kitchen table, all were laid down in neat efficient order so they wouldn't mess the other. On the left was a still-cold, Mudhorn Egg followed by two slabs of Veg-Meat, and a fat packet of ration paste. To the right of the table was a fat, dead gorg and a thick blue canister of bone broth from some unknown beast. "Well beggars can't be choosers, I'll serve this stuff up with some cheese and polystarch once the kids get back" He smiled smugly, before cracking his knuckles and getting to work.

Unlocking the little tool case he brought with him, a metal crate that carried his utensils; Pudge pulled out a pot and a few cutting tools from it, laying the pot onto the stove. Placing the knives with the other ingredients, the Whiphid hefted up the fuzzy egg and laid it over the pot; he then gently cracked open the egg. Orange gold drizzled from the hairy egg into the pot, the cook made sure every drop went in and then proceeded to crack the eggshell into smaller pieces, making sure every last minuscule gooey shard fell into the mix. The Whiphid developed this add-on for the chili back during the Clone Wars, it added a certain crunch to each flavorful bite.

But he had more steps to follow if he was to make today's next luncheon...

TAG: Anyone, really.

2. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    A fun combo with @adaml83 and @Adalia-Durron!

IC: Mackenzie Hollymander, Baniss Vermillion, Max Pallas
    Black Sheep Nerve Center, Intrepid

Great minds coming together...

"Do we even know for a fact that it's only one individual doing this?"

MacKenzie frowned as he fiddled with this medallion. "I suspect two or more. And the attack on us is two or three pronged." He said quietly, "the virus is a new thing, an inside job, we need to look at newly assigned people to the Intrepid, even newly assigned droids. But we have been tracked since Naboo," he snorted softly, "since I got here." He looked up at Baniss, "want to frisk me?"

"The virus is new, but we have been tracked since Naboo. No one's taken it seriously until after SonTay," said Max flatly. She'd been saying for months that there was a mole, and everyone had dismissed it as her paranoia. Then she frowned, looking at Vermillion. "Wait, you had people looking for the comms array? Who? When did you send them out? Because..."

Baniss chuckled a bit at MacKenzie, "Has that worked on anyone?" He then moved on to Max's questions.

"I have a few programs that go through peoples' histories when I need someone with particular skills. So I found some junior Communications officers with clean pasts, clean affiliations, and from places that would motivate them to take even more action against the Empire than most people. Places like Alderaan, Jedha, Topwara, places like that. They noticed a signal that piggybacked whenever we were using the main array making it hard to detect.
    "

He resisted a sigh, "We haven't had a chance to go out and examine it directly because of the debris field, but..." he tapped a few things on his datapad, "the two of you should now be receiving some images of what a normal main comm array should look like, and the Intrepid's array. Do not use the ship's computer for any of this, I may send something up to get the two of you some equipment and get you a temporary boost to your security clearance for the purposes of this mission." He didn't say that he already had, but they'd find out soon enough. "I didn't know for certain that we were being tracked until that last mission when I directed those people to use our exterior holo cameras to examine the hull to find something, which they did."

"That virus though took time. A good amount of time."

Max bit her lip. "Someone must've found out what your people were looking for," she said. "That could have triggered our mole to escalate. Until now, they've only been tipping off the Skulls, so that the attacks seem to be random and external. We can send the astromechs out to gather info on the comms array. It's a good cover story...officially, they can be looking for damage to the ship and doing repair work based on the attack by the Interdictor. I'll have Digger, my astromech, get the info from the comms array." She glanced at Hollymander. "You used it before, you know its capabilities." To Baniss, she explained, "He's been programmed for slicing and some intel analysis. We can either shut down the array or...we could put an intercept relay on it back to us so we can see what he or she is sending, and maybe figure out who it is. The danger of that is that the Empire will continue to receive info that threatens the Intrepid."

Baniss nodded, "It's an idea. Then again we need to get out of the fight long enough to even turn it off long enough to fully examine it to see if we can turn it into a trap of our own."

He smiled again, "I wouldn't forget the accomplishments of the squadron, particularly Son Tay, which would elevate the Sheep within the eyes of the Imperials. Also, I wouldn't forget that there are times that the various branches really enjoy showing each other up." He considered this attack an attack by Imperial Intelligence while the previous one was by the regular Navy.

Max reached in her pocket to run the braid of the corley wreath through her fingers. "They've been dogging us since Naboo." She looked over at Hollymander. He'd joined them after Naboo. "Had you heard anything? Before you came?"

"Nothing. But then again, I think they were on to me, or suspected me at the very least. Seeing Amber, and recognising her was a way out for me that day. I suspect if I'd stayed much longer I'd have ended up in front of a firing squad, or worse." A distant look as he thought, "and I honestly do not think they knew you were coming, the devastation caused shows me that, so I fail to see how they could have tagged the ship."

Max nodded. "The Sheep aren't really important enough for the Imps to turn all their intel on us. Skull squadron, yeah, they've had a permanent vendetta since Naboo, but they couldn't have plan--" She broke off as a thought came to her. Then she turned back to Hollymander. "Do you still have the guest list? From the wedding?"

"I wish. What you saw me come away from that place was all I had. I had to beg for clothes when I got here, cause I never want to strangle myself in an Imperial uniform ever again." He thought for a moment, "I have a damn good memory, even if I say so myself, I can write down all I remember, if that helps?"

She turned back to Baniss. "What if...if one of the guests at the wedding on Naboo had familly or friends on the Intrepid? It was an Imperial ship, the entire crew came over... and there weren't any problems until after Naboo. This could be a personal vendetta. And the Skulls escaped Naboo, Lou's ex is one of them...it's personal for them, too."

"I'll get started on that list, I think I have most the officials I can name, but honestly, you might be looking for wait staff or even security and I can't help you there." MacKenzie conceded.

Baniss considered both options, "Depending on how much influence Lou's ex has within the Imperial military, I would put the chances higher there, though looking at the guest list and the workers there wouldn't hurt, but more information on Lou's ex has higher priority in my opinion."

Max nodded thoughtfully. "We'll need to access Intrepid's personnel files," she said. "We'll need to do a deep dive on their background and family connections, to see if we can match any names." She continued to stroke the silky corley braid, thinking some more. "And we'll need access to the Imperial after-action reports on the wedding. That will be harder."

"My codes would have been changed the minute, or maybe close, to when I left."
    MacKenzie said rubbing his chin, losing his beard had been freeing but he missed rubbing it. He'd often thought it made him look intelligent. "But...." he smiled at Max, "know any good slicers?"

And then the lights went out.

TAG @Vehn, Anyone, Any astromechs who want to get in on the action!

3. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    IC Kayn, Ethan, Amber and Mermaid.
    This could be the start of something beautiful...

Kayn was keeping an eye on the countdown timer for exiting hyperspace. Not long now. He was using the time to rehearse the attack, reaching around the unfamiliar cockpit and touching all the controls he was expecting to use, trying to build muscle memory so he could instinctively find the right buttons when there was no time to be eyes down reading labels. Hyperdrive, sensors, jammer setting/standby, master arm switch, torpedo select. Hopefully he'd have some leisure to work through those. After that, things were going to get complicated and the pressure would be on. Shields, jammer, targeting sensors, laser select, comms. One bit of luck, he had figured out how to switch her transmitter to a voice-activated setting, so he wouldn't have to press the transmit button every time he spoke.

He frowned suddenly, realizing he hadn't had a chance to test the microphone. What if the software didn't recognize him? Maybe his voice wouldn't activate the transmitter; he sounded nothing like her. His voice was deep and rough, and hers was sweet music, sultry and velvety like a warm summer night... Focus, dammit!

[​IMG]

The timer reached zero and he cut the hyperdrive, deliberately keeping his eyes down as blinding light from the nearby star flooded the cockpit. His cybernetic eye was already set to filter the light to a tolerable level and his natural eye was closed. Squinting against the glare, he spotted the other ships. He worked the control yoke, rocking his wings to get their attention, and altered course to put more distance between themselves and the sun. The others moved in close, getting back in line abreast formation. Amber's X-wing was easy to identify; it was the one with the purple stripe. Purple. FOCUS! He pointed at Amber and saluted, passing the lead to her.

"Ok, Squirt, you gotta make sure we're nothing, got it?" Amber muttered quietly. almost as if someone might actually hear her talking. The purple domed droid softly whistled back telling her that that everything was passive and she was as silent as she could possibly be. Glancing down as they came out of hyper, Amber looked up and over to see Kayn's A Wing wiggling, a wry smile touched her face, "ever the showman." She whispered as she followed his lead and moved into position. Once she'd received the signal from him she looked forward, her focus on the engines of the ship before them, not close enough yet, but soon. Lifting her hand she put it alongside her helmet in a fist, ready.

Ethan opened his eyes again as they re-entered real space and send a quick prayer to the goddess over his lips. An old ritual that Wilhuff Tarkin had often mocked him. Citing it to be a pointless tribute to an ancient religion. He had said it in jest, but his gaze had been one of steel. Back then Ethan had just assumed that this was just his mentors personal believes, after all the Tarkins were proud atheists. But now he knew that Wilhuff had tried to mold him into a second son, to replace Garoche. And yet... even after the leaving the Empire it had taken quite some time until he felt comfortable to do it again. Shaking off the memory of his past Ethan brought his X-Wing closer to Kayn ship and gave their new lead a signal that he was ready.

Kayn snuck a quick glance at Zara's sensor warning display. It showed the TIE fighters were using standard targeting frequencies, fortunately, he wouldn't have to reset the jammer from its default mode. Jammer and shields would be his first priorities when the Imps detected their attack, which ought to be any second now. Amber was still signaling to hold fire. A quick glance in the other direction showed Mermaid flying about two meters higher relative to him, giving herself an unobstructed view over Kayn of Amber's cockpit. Now would be a good time, Vixen...

She'd closed her eyes, focus was needed for the right moment. The hairs on the back of her neck shot up and that was her signal as she gave the hand signal and with her other hand released her own missiles, her eyes still closed.

She 'felt' them, could see them in her minds eyes, their energy, power resonated as just behind hers she felt others about to join hers.

Seeing Amber fire, Ethan followed the instruction she had given him before and fired his torpedoes as close to hers as she could, then leaning back and letting her do her magic.

Kayn's torpedoes were the last to go. He saw Vet and Mermaid fire as Vixen did. Kayn was being careful to keep the control yoke steady, not jerking it as he pulled the triggers and fired his weapons an instant after the others. A faint grinding sound from the A-wing's nose made him frown. The auto-loader seemed to be having trouble reloading the launch tubes; he probably wouldn't be able to fire another salvo until the mechanism reset. How the frack does she survive in this thing?!

Amber's focus was intense, she felt the other launches and it was now her job to bring them into line, to give them a target. Imaginary arms reached out, tendril like fingers curling around each torpedo, pulling them together, they had to all impact in the same place at the same time. In her mind she could see them, like living beings almost as she gathered them, tilting her head and lifting a hand as if pushing them and guiding them to port slightly. The energy from the engines was hot, a glow in her mind that she now willed the weapons toward. They weren't alive, this was harder than telling a creature to do something, no, this was actually pushing a physical thing with no soul toward another similar thing.

She had them gathered, in a cluster and she just had to keep that till they impacted, hoping to the stars her droid Squirt, was keeping the ship out of danger and on the right flight path.

[​IMG]

They were close, really close, but she couldn't risk letting them go yet, her own torps were leading so in her mind, once they'd impacted, she could let go. Seconds later she felt them hit and with a deep sigh she fell forward onto the controls, grabbing them as she did so. Now panting in exhaustion, her head pounding Amber nodded to herself, she'd done the best she could.

Squirt let out a soft whistle and Amber looked up, she'd done it. Before her the starboard engine of the cruiser blossomed into a fireball, growing as each torpedo hit. It spread to the second engine as the craft was rocked by the mess they'd made. Letting out her breath Amber watched as she kept her ship in line with the others, glancing constantly and awaiting Kayn's indication to move to the next craft.

Kayn's jaw dropped as every last one of the eight torpedoes detonated on the Gozanti's starboard engine. That level of precision really was impossible, even for a targeting computer. Secondary explosions spread, taking out the rest of the cruiser's power, and it fell out of formation, listing lifelessly. Which meant that their fighter flight was about to run right over it as it lost speed. "Good shot, Vixen! Ignore this one; it's out of the fight." TIEs were already turning their way, so the time for radio silence was past. Kayn was frantically pushing buttons, activating his jammer, raising shields, switching to lasers as he pushed the throttles wide open, leaving the X-wings behind. "Mermaid, we'll keep the Eyeballs occupied, Vixen and Vet hit the other cruisers." There were at least a dozen TIEs scattered across the area. Kayn banked left toward the nearest group and opened fire without a target lock, missing completely, but drawing their attention from the X-wings. Mermaid took an aimed shot and a TIE turned into a fireball. "I got one, Mean Streak!" she bubbled happily. "Vixen, that was AMAZING!"

Ethan allowed himself a wolfish grin as he saw the perfect hit that Amber had allowed them to score a near perfect hit. "Good work Vixen," he said over com as they were turning towards the next target. "If we continue like this we´ll get this done without even losing our shields..."

She was breathing heavily, "one shot pony here, maybe two....." Her head pounded as she attempted to take the orders given by Kayn. "As ordered, take the lead Vet, I need to breathe." Closing her comm she spoke to Squirt, "bring us back on line, shields, sensors, the whole lot. Let's get this done, I need a nap."

TAG @Vehn and anyone ......

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    IC: Captain Kayn "Fumble Fingers" Balzroth [face_devil]
    Somehow Still Alive

Kayn and Mermaid zoomed past the three remaining active Gozanti cruisers. He hoped he could keep most of the TIEs in front of the cruisers, leaving the space aft of them clear for Vet and Vixen to keep hitting the enemy from behind. Flak gunners opened up at them as they raced past. Kayn worked the control yoke roughly, manhandling the black A-wing up and down. He still wasn't hand flying with any finesse, but evasive action didn't require much in the way of finesse.

Pulling ahead of the cruisers, the A-wings closed on the rebel corvettes and the flight of TIEs harassing them. Kayn carefully lined up the sights for Zara's long range lasers and caressed the trigger. His shot missed completely. Switching to maximum rate of fire might at least make his shots look more dangerous, but he'd have to manually page through the weapons panel and select the correct setting, which would entail too much time with eyes inside the cockpit. He fired again and missed again.

Green plasma flashed behind him. Another flight of TIEs had gotten behind him. "Weave, Zara! I mean Mermaid!" He shook his head in frustration. This was turning into his worst flight in years. Maybe ever.

Fortunately Mermaid wasn't bothered by his gaffes. "Gotcha, Mean Streak." She instantly began to turn toward him and they zig-zagged back and forth, shooting at the TIEs on their tails. One of her targets spun away like a pinwheel spraying sparks in all directions while Kayn missed completely. With immediate threats behind and only distant threats ahead, he switched the shields to double aft. An instant later he heard a sharp crack that drew his attention forward. There was a nasty scratch near the center of the windscreen. A random piece of shrapnel had gouged a divot out of the transparisteel. Zara's gonna kill me! He remembered Kio and grimaced. Focus! He lined up another shot and missed.

Kayn growled bitterly but kept them moving toward the corvettes, which were still being strafed by the first flight of TIEs. If I can't shoot straight, maybe I can outmaneuver them. In a few seconds he was leading Mermaid and their pursuers over the corvettes, and for a moment it was pure pandemonium. Rebel flak gunners shot at both flights of TIEs, TIEs shot at corvettes and A-wings, A-wings shot at TIEs, and TIEs swerved wildly to avoid collisions with other TIEs.

[​IMG]

Amazingly, nobody died. That was mostly thanks to the Imperial flight leaders who sensibly ordered their pilots to break away from the chaos, regroup and coordinate their next move. With a few seconds to breathe, Kayn pulled himself together and took stock. Mermaid had ended up ahead of the corvettes; he was still behind them. He glanced down at the A-wing's weapons panel, thinking he could reset the lasers, and noticed that the auto-loader had finally gotten one of his two remaining torpedoes loaded and armed. Making a snap decision, he activated the targeting computer and turned back towards the cruisers. If he couldn't hit anything with the lasers, maybe he was due for some luck with a torpedo.

He remembered which buttons to push and managed to get an active weapons lock on the leading Gozanti. Staring intently at the targeting computer display right in front of his eyes, he carefully aligned the symbols and caressed the firing trigger. The torpedo fired, tracking straight toward the oncoming cruiser. And if he was reading the sensors right, that cruiser's shields were very weak forward, probably buckling from heavy pounding by the rebel corvettes' turbolaser turrets.

Kayn's fangs showed in a vicious grin; his luck was finally changing. Then one TIE fighter swooped out from behind the targeted cruiser, swerved directly into the torpedo's path, and rammed it. The proton warhead detonated spectacularly, utterly obliterating the TIE.

[​IMG]

Kayn was shocked. It was obvious the Imperial pilot had sacrificed himself to protect his ship. That kind of dedication to duty or loyalty or friendship or whatever it was left him dumbfounded. Didn't the Imps know that heroism was supposed to be solely in the realm of the rebels?

Flak opened up from the enemy and his hands reacted even as his brain tumbled. The black A-wing snap-rolled into a split-S and reversed course back toward the corvettes. He needed to rejoin Zara. No, Mermaid. He shook his head in angry confusion, feeling lost and disoriented. What was happening to the universe? The Imperials were suddenly heroes, Kayn was the worst pilot in the battle, and his best wingmate was a murderer. Everything was backwards and upside down.

TAG: @Adalia-Durron @Mira Grau @Rebecca_Daniels

5. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    IC: R2-MA16 "Digger," (with a guest shot from Harley's astromech P1-NK, thanks to @Vehn)
    Black Sheep Hangar, Intrepid

Digger watched the human with the bright orange fur in the cockpit of his pilot's ship and grumbled to himself. He swiveled his dome to see the plane captain, Emilia Sparkiniss, working with the massive amphibian on the new astromech insertion slot that she had designed, and rolled over to her, blaring an alarm.

//ALERT: UNAUTHORIZED PILOT IN COCKPIT! UNAUTHORIZED ACTIVITY IN PROGRAMMING FUNCTION!

He had to repeat himself twice before she understood what he was trying to say.

"There's a virus, an attack on all of our fighters," explained Sparky. "Someone planted it to ground us, we don't know who. Materas was assigned to clean them up."

Digger processed that for a moment, then squawked in indignation. HE was capable of clearing out viruses! His PILOT was capable of clearing out viruses; she was the best slicer on the ship! Digger moved towards the insertion slot.

"No," said Sparky firmly. "Koko and I aren't finished yet. And all droids are banned right now from accessing ship's terminals. The virus isn't contained. How do you think Max would feel if YOU got infected, hm?"

Digger processed that. With a mechanical sigh, he rolled to a vantage point where he could keep his ocular receptors on the interloper. As soon as the human had completed his work, Digger would be all over that ship to make sure it was perfect! Humans were fallible at this sort of thing, after all.

And then a message went out from Intrepid Engineering Control. //ALL ASTROMECH UNITS AVAILABLE REPORT TO HULL FOR REPAIR AND SCAN OF HULL. A long list of repair orders followed. He fell into line with the others when another message was transmitted to him, from Max. He stopped short, causing the droid behind him to bump into him.

Digs! We're pretty sure the mole is transmitting from the Intrepid to the Imps. We don't think he or she is piggybacking off the standard comms array, but we need to double check. We suspect there's another unauthorized comms array on the hull. We need you and the other Sheep droids to find it. Scan the hull against standard Imperial configuration and report any unusual equipment you find. Report back to me, Hollymander, and Vermillion with whatever you find.

Digger swiveled his head. Most of the others had gone on to the hull already. He moved into the access tube, and waited as it carried him to the hull. He turned around, looking at the others, and moved to the nearest droid, transmitting to them. //ALERT: WE HAVE ADDITIONAL ORDERS, ULTRA CLASSIFICATION.

They all fanned out along the hull, making repairs and scanning for items that were not part of the normal configuration for an Imperial Quasar Fire class cruiser carrier. A nest of mynocks was speedily dispatched. There was some confusion and excitement over a strange object embedded in the hull, until they realized it was the partial cockpit of a TIE fighter with what was left of its pilot that had crashed. The heavy droids marked that as their task, while two 2-1b medical droids came to retrieve the biological material.

Time was passing and Digger was getting worried when Harley’s droid, P1-NK sent him a message.

//ALERT: UNIDENTIFIED EQUIPMENT ON FORWARD HULL TOPDECK. CLOSE TO SHIELD GENERATOR.

Digger immediately pulled back from the damaged hydrocoolant system and zoomed towards P1, dodging the others who were engaged on various repairs. The two droids circled the small, protruding box, with a small depression at the center. It didn’t look like any standard comms array. Digger zoomed in his ocular receptors. It was actually clamped to the hull; not welded in. For easy removal. There was no data report.

//INFORM: PRELIMINARY SCAN INDICATES RECURRENT SIGNAL AT INTERVALS OF 10.5666348 STANDARD MINUTES AT A SUB-FREQUENCY LEVEL OF 13.78493.

Digger activated his own scanner array and waited. Sure enough, the signal came again, and he analyzed it. Definitely a type of tracking beacon, on a frequency that would easily be masked by the ship’s shield generators. He couldn’t see any indication of an antenna for transmissions, but that didn’t mean one wasn’t there. He did another scan, trying to see what was inside. There was the transmitter, telescoped inside. So for the person to transmit, they would activate the transmission antenna for the duration of the signal, and it would withdraw into the box, to keep a lower profile. The wiring went inside the hull, somehow, so whoever it was could connect without needing to go through standard comms. Subtle. Digger had never seen anything like it. His pilot would be impressed.

He transmitted the information to Max, with information on the scans he’d gotten, and asked for further instructions. She might not want to destroy it.

Then he turned to P1-NK. //APPROVE: AN IMPORTANT FIND. THIS MAY BE WHAT WE HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR. HAVE TRANSMITTED INFO TO THE OFFICERS. WELL DONE.

P1 was pleased, and did a little dance, whirling in circles on the hull, warbling a jaunty tune of victory. Khairn’s droid turned towards them.

//ALERT: REPAIRS UNDERWAY. DESIGNATED REPAIR LIST HAS NOT BEEN COMPLETED! RESUME DUTIES AS ASSIGNED!

Digger chirped an apology and went back to his work on the hydrocoolant system. The location of the enemy comms array was now known. He was eager to demolish it, but without orders they could do nothing. Sometimes they had to leave things in place. He didn’t understand that, as it could jeopardize security, but biologicals were strange creatures. Max’s father had tried to explain it, something about looping things back in on themselves, but it was beyond his programming. In the meantime, there were leaks to plug and conduits to re-route. But he would be there when a decision was made. And then he’d go back to check on his pilot’s X-wing, since he didn’t trust that the strange human had done an adequate job of flushing the virus.

TAG: @Vehn, @Adalia-Durron, @adaml83

6. Sgt.Matt

May 12, 2018
    IC: Zero Maderas
    Intrepid Hangar

Zero had little time for dawdling once he reached the hangar, he had a mission to complete. Luckily, his slicing toolkit was prepped for the other risk he was willing to undertake; in fact, he made a slight prayer for what he was doing.

Pulling a metal cube from his toolkit and setting it onto the floor, the middle between both sides of starfighters; the slicer slid his forefinger in a crisscross motion on the cube's cracked touch screen. The cube opened from all angles like a blooming flower; it was a Portable Jacking Station, the tool older slicers used to connect to multiple cords or wires on terminals. Although in some circles, usually the slicers or datajackers who were more willing to pay the risk, the jacking device could help hack into multiple different terminals depending on the model. Sadly, Zero's tool was an older Republic model and a venerable Mythosaur compared to most modern slicing tech. Deary, you might an old tool that got me through harder scrapes and you might be a bit buggy; but I need your help in clearing all nine of these ships of a deadly parasite. Zero then pressed the cube down as it's internal magnet kept it centered on the floor; the slicer then made a silent prayer for anyone noticing him on camera or arriving in the hangar.

"If this idea's gonna work, I'll need to borrow some extension cords from the mechanics," Zero then started to rush towards a large toolbox, opening it up...and removing several lengths of connector cables. "Hope no one in the grease pits sees me now, I'll have myself melvined and jettisoned out the airlock for this stunt."

Hefting the cords with every last bit of strength he had in his bandy arms, Zero brought them toward the jacking station and started to connect the metal ends of the cords to the open tubes on his station's frame. Due to the outdated model he had, the jacker had four access tools and by doing the math, this would take more than one hour he anticipated initially with the number of starfighters. Get it together man! All these fighters depend on ya, just do four at a time thoroughly and this'll be a cinch The youth shook his head and made a game face, before starting his mission.

It took around 30 minutes to get the cords untangled to a targeted starfighter each, and it took 30 or more for him to clamber atop them to connect the cords to their own ship computers. Zero's legs were aching from constantly hopping onto ship frames, but he gritted his teeth with every injection of cords plugs; his head focusing on saving everyone's ship computers. After he had four ships assembled, three X-Wings and one Y-Wing, the slicer wiped his sweaty head for his risky test.

Jacking in his datapad to a wireless connection built into the jacking station, Zero Maderas took off his jacket and tossed it to the floor, before pressing the access button on his datapad for the ships' computers. Luckily, the satellite he kept on hand was still attached to serve as a drilling shield, plus the older protection software left on his jacking station. A familiar array of red screens greeted the youth as he prepped his cure, while a chill went up his spine.....

TAG: ANYONE!

7. darthbernael

darthbernael EU Community Mod, Fuego, Pyrofuego! star 5 Staff Member Manager

Apr 15, 2019
    IC: Captain Finnefrael “Feral” Ordwgal, Sergeant Jocelyn "Joy" Sunwalker
    Intrepid and the debris field

The briefing wasn’t long, was more of a per rally than a briefing but also had put out vital information. Feral was glad that the Recon X’s had been spared from whatever sabotage had occurred but the fact that most of the Sheep were now grounded due to what had happened was more than troubling. It was, there had to be someone on board who was doing so. He shook his head to clear his thoughts as he heard his, his and Joy’s, name and what the assignment would be. A snort escaped him, of course…

The former Imp who knew the Defenders and the pilot who had figured out how to defeat them. As well as…he glanced over to where most of Charlie Flight was sitting, with a wry grin, having the feeling that Joy would hope that he’d not try to go all out considering their relationship. Shaking his head he waited for the briefing to end before he departed. When the room was clearing he glanced over at her again, a challenging smile on his face. Nodding, he walked out, heading to his quarters.

Once there, he pulled his flight bag from the locker, making sure that everything he needed was inside it. He was already in his flightsuit so there was little else he needed. Closing the locker he stepped out of his quarters, making sure they were locked, needing that extra security now that he was sure there was an infiltrator on board. It was a short walk, alone, to the hangar, which he was thankful for. It let him clear his head and mentally prepare for this skirmish.

Getting to where Dela Flight was parked, he glanced over at Traer’s bird with a chuckle. Wyrock had managed to get all the dents out and repainted where the paint had flecked off. But…he shook his head, he wasn’t sure when he and Trigger would be flying as a flight again. As he was considering the scent of nic sticks reached he senses.

Coming around the aft end of his fighter Wyrock looked up at him, ”Pretty boy, heard about the mission, she’s tweaked to your tolerances. Had to look them up in your med file to be sure.” she said, patting the locked S foils.

”Those things will kill you you know.” he said, nodding at the nic stick.

”Better this than explosive decompression.” she said with a shrug.

”Looks like there’s trouble onboard, Sergeant. Make sure no one comes near the Flight’s birds. Two thirds of the Squadron are down because someone pranged them.”

She grinned, ”Sounds like a job for my big pocking wrench.” Ducking, she looked to the area of the hangar where the Defender had been placed after it had been repaired. ”That girlie is nuts, boss. Good pilot but I’ve seen how she looks when she sees you talking to any woman.” she muttered.

At that, Feral laughed. ”She’s had a rough life and is attached to me. Nothing wrong with that.”

”There’s attached and then there’s break your kneecaps so you can’t go anywhere attached, pretty boy. Don’t forget that.” Wyrock mused as he boarded the fighter.

Bones had done the preflight and the bird was already warm when he settled in the seat. ”Just waiting for Joy now.” he told the droid. And then a thought crossed his mind, Intrepid Actual, Delta One, want me to get out there in the debris and wait for her, give her that extra challenge?” he asked over the comm.

Intrepid Actual to Delta One, affirmative. Pounce if necessary.”

The grin that came over Feral’s face was…well feral. Intrepid Actual, Delta One, Roger. There will be good hunting.”

With that he lifted the Recon X from the deck, turning it gracefully to face the magfield before he glanced over his shoulder at Bones, ”Time for some fun, my friend.” he said, getting a few beeps and whistles in return. Facing forward again, he brought down the visor, then advanced the throttles enough to exit the hangar. Once outside the Intrepid, he smoothly advanced the throttles to their stops, the engines pressing him against the seat, the Recon X leaping forward like a striking bolt.

At a speed a good third faster than a normal human could take, yet within the improved tolerances of the airframe, he raced through the debris field, seeking a good spot where he could still watch for Joy to exit the hangar yet remain all but invisible. The paint job of his bird would certainly help with that, as long as he didn’t let bright objects like the sun or nearby planet be behind him.

He settled back, using passive sensors and his eyes to maintain his watch, waiting for her to exit and the fun to begin.

The sabotage and what happened to Zara were a stark reminder that there was a still unresolved security issue. Hopefully they would be able to deal with this. At least Max will stop pestering Lou.

At least she was going to fly the Defender. Jocelyn had been fidgeting in her seat waiting impatiently for the briefing to end. She was surprised that she had been pitted against Feral. Someone had a nasty sense of humor. Joy almost told him that if he won she was going to kick him out of her room for several days, but that would be unprofessional. Besides, she wanted the opportunity to push the Defender to the limits.

That was going to be problematic though, given the sustained damage. Hopefully Thorn was able to keep it together, along with her astromech. She gave the explicit order for the Ugnaught to be kept away from the craft. No one joked about her Defender!

'Jocelyn, have you always been so crazy or is this a new thing?' her inner voice asked. She pushed it away. Ever since the camp she had not been herself. It was not only Feral, but seeing her parents and leaving them again, then Anais was taken away again - possibly for good. She needed something to hold on to.

Joy pushed the thoughts away. Today she was going to enjoy herself. She was going to wear a full mask helmet as the life support might stop working, so she was going to be like an Imperial pilot in a TIE. It seems Thorn had people scavenge parts that were floating around. It was patchy at best, but they did not have enough time.

Once inside she closed her eyes for a second, enjoying the moment. She started the engines, she did the preflight check and once everything seemed stable enough she commed that she was good to go.

"Honey, you know that it is only proper if you let your girlfriend win, unless you want to suffer the consequences." Joy grinned under the mask, she was messing with him. "Let's do this!"

Hearing Joy’s call out, Feral snorted. He was glad of one thing, that he’d had Bones leave a repeater in the hangar. Hitting a button it broadcast a message he’d recorded before he’d left the hangar. ”Let’s dance, Sergeant. All’s fair in a game like this as long as we both come back alive.” the voice in the recording had a teasing tone of challenge to it. ”Oh..by the way, I’m not in the hangar any more.” this time the voice was playful.

Joy chuckled at his ploy. It seems Feral was more resourceful than she thought. Good. This was going to make the exercise more exciting. She turned off the non-essential alarms, they were too distracting. Hopefully the makeshift repairs will hold. That would be problematic as it will interfere with her ability to fly properly for the fear that the craft might disintegrate. 'Well, you could not wait a little for the repairs to be finished.' came her inner voice again.

The Defender lifted off and left the hangar without a hitch. Now where was Feral. Turning on the sensors and the shields. She began her hunt.

Feral saw her at the same time Bones let out a low chirp. The iconic design of the Defender slipped out of the hangar, the Intrepid behind her keeping her in view for a few moments. And then he had to rely on the sensors as much as his eyes, to keep track of the fighter against the starscape. Using minute touches of the throttle and controls, he kept most of his Recon X hugged close to a larger piece of debris, keeping it between her and himself. He was perfectly content to play the hunter for now, waiting for the Nexu to come close enough for the first shot.

The recon X-wing was more agile and harder to find than a regular one, so she needed to be extra careful about tracking him. The debris field was not helping either. This was the perfect scenario to test her skills. A damaged craft, a capable foe and an unpredictable playing field.

She needed to test the limits of the Defender first, see if it would be able to hold it together while she looked for Feral. Jocelyn slowly started picking up speed. There were some creaks but the repairs held together. She tried a couple of barrel rolls, the craft survived those as well.

At least she could do some basic stuff. There was some stress on the hull, but nothing too dangerous. Now, let's find a X-wing. The sensors picked up some signals, but she could not be sure if they were pieces of debris or not.

As Feral observed Joy putting the Defender through its paces, he had every passive sensor the Recon X had at its disposal recording all the data it could. Whether he won this dogfight or not this initial data he’d be able to add to the data he’d taken during the recent assault by the Death’s Heads to find even more weak points in the craft which he did have to admit was overall an excellent vehicle.

When Bones tweeted that the TIE’s active sensors were pulsing through the debris field, Feral nodded. It was the logical place for him to use to watch her maneuvers but it was broad, offering many vantage points, large as well as reflective enough to disperse an exact signal. Which told him her most obvious tactic to use next would be to attempt to flush him out.

As she searched, he used as little power or thrust to move from one chunk of debris to the next. And, to make things even more fun, when he finally emerged, he shifted slightly closer to her with each movement, to minimize the time she’d have to react when that breach occurred. The game truly was beginning to pick up now.

The debris field was the perfect place for an ambush. It made detection harder and the recon X-wing's powerful sensors would pick her attempts to detect him before she actually does. That put him in an advantageous position.

This only made the hunt more exciting.

She would have to maintain speed and scan the floating pieces of metal and hopefully detect him.

Unless...

Unless she tried something else. She would feign hunting him, while leaving him to do the whole work and reveal himself. She would have to make it convincing enough. Checking a piece here and another one there, and so on.

Where are you Feral?

As Joy searched and Feral continued his slow and steady stalk, he was sure that, to outside observers, it was the game of nexu and arboreal octopi. To the more keen eyed observer it was the game of nexu and black nexu, each hunting the other. And the latter was closing on the former, one chunk of debris at a time.

The text channel between himself and Bones lit on his screen, they were close enough that there was no reason to chance her or her sensors hearing the droid. What he read made him smile, though. According to what Bones had deduced from all the data they’d gathered so far, the next few moments of this stalk would decide who got the first chance of the duel.

Watching her flight path, he realized she was also changing her tactics. Observing her, he worked to understand her tactic. And then smiled, hugging the Recon X tighter to the piece of debris he had between her and himself. His eyes glittered behind the mask of his helmet, it was time….

Joy had a gut feeling that something was going to transpire, so she was extra careful with the scanning. It was time for Feral to make his move. Unless he wanted to play more mind games with her. She should be careful with that one! She even started to question her choice in romantic partners...

She chuckled softly and shook her head. She needed to be more attentive. Joy was ready to spring right into action, unless Feral managed to pull a stunt and take her out right away.

That would be very embarrassing.

"It seems someone would have been sleeping on the couch if we had one." she decided to mess with him sending this message over the comms.

Shaking his head, in his cockpit, Feral let out a chuckle. He knew Joy was persistent and could play the game well. And her message only proved that point. But, the point of this exercise was not to just play hide and seek but to also show what the Defender was capable of.

Which was why, as the six forward points of the TIE’s three wings came into view just past the debris he was hugging, the chuckle faded and an intent look crossed his face. With how Lexrullan were and how they aged, it was often easy for people to forget he’d been flying and fighting since the Clone Wars, as he looked no more than a man in his mid twenties. Which meant he had those decades of combat experience to count on.

In one fluid movement he put the throttles to the stops, twisting the controls as he rocketed away from the debris, rolling the Recon X 180 degrees so, as he called out ”Tallyho!!” his black helmet and dropped visor hiding his face looked up, waving at the suited and helmeted figure in the ball of the TIE. Weaving rapidly through the debris, at his speed he was whipping through the decently spaced remains of craft, he pulled up in a sharp Negative G turn, until he was racing back toward her.

As he did, he triggered the comm again, ”Tag…you’re it…”

Jocelyn chuckled at Feral tagging her. She was not that surprised that he was able to utilize the advantages of the recon X-wing in terms of being able to avoid detection. After all a scout ship needs to be able to move unseen for as long as possible. The whole situation just fueled her own competitiveness.

"Definitely sleeping on the couch." she chuckled over the comms.

The Defender maneuvered after the X-wing passed. The hull strained a bit, but held. She felt confident that she could speed up. Hopefully she would not have to go EV and splat on a piece of debris.

The TIE was keeping pace with the X-wing, even catching up to it. "It seems you will be tagged pretty soon." she grinned as she pulled a lever up to boost the engines further. Going above the X-wing both craft flew in synch. She was going to tilt the ball of the cockpit a bit so that she could wave at him in return.

This time he did tap the comm as he chuckled, ”Guess we need a couch the.….” He cut off abruptly, pulling the power levers back to zero thrust and then into reverse. Immediately he keyed the general comm, including the Intrepid, ”PauseEx, PauseEx, PauseEx…Joy pull back, now, please!” his voice deadly serious.

What he’d seen in that instant had made his olive skin almost turn pale. ”Bones, did you get that, see that on the sensors?” he asked, watching Joy’s TIE, hoping she listened and realized he wouldn’t be this serious without a reason. Whistles and tweets came from behind, that there was a sensor ghost but nothing else the droid had seen.

Intrepid Actual, Delta One…we’ve got company, not Imperial but possibly worse. A creature just tumbled past our flight path from deeper in the breaker’s yard. Be prepared if it regains its senses…a starweird. Nasty, nasty creature.” he stated with a shudder in his tone as he identified it.

"I guess we do..." she started to reply when Feral's tone changed. "What's wrong?" she asked, concerned as she matched the X-wing's speed. Her weapons were not fully powered, after all this was to be a training exercise, besides they did not want to strain the Defender's systems further without having a thorough check, they did not want to risk it.

“Copy that last transmission. We will keep our eyes peeled for the, uh, Starweird,” Intrepid Actual replied.

What was going on out there?

Feral heard the doubt in Intrepid Actual’s voice. Intrepid Actual, Delta One. See if it’s in the database and then you’ll see where my concern comes from. Otherwise, trust me they are major league bad news for ships.”

Glancing over at Joy, ”I think we can continue, but perhaps further out, away from the breakers yard, away from that creature.” he told both Joy and the Intrepid.

Joy was not sure what was Feral talking about "What is this, what did you call it... starweird?" she asked, sounding confused. "Never heard of it before."

As Feral guided his Recon X in an arc that would take it out of the debris of the breakers yard, he heard Joy’s question. ”A creature, a ghost some say, but one that once it has its attention on you, has gotten on your ship, will rapidly destroy all the living beings on it. I’ve seen the aftermath of one before, where only one survivor was able to tell what happened. Even Force users who know of them would rather not face them, at all.” he explained.

”There is no rhyme or reason for how they act, how they pick vessels, but, from that survivor’s account, if it sees a victim it will attack, especially when angered. So one looking like it was flung from somewhere, flying past us, I’d think was pretty annoyed. Hence, finding somewhere else to test out your Defender.”

Jocelyn frowned at the explanation. The Galaxy was full of strange creatures that she had never encountered nor will she ever see or hear. "Every day you learn something new." she commed "So, lead the way, and let us get on with it. I hope you don't make up another creature in order to save yourself from losing." she teased him. If anyone was monitoring their communications they would be surprised of this different Joy, but for this brief moment she felt very content and even happy.

Glancing over at the Defender as Joy flew beside him, Feral smiled behind his visor. Turning to face forward again, he flicked the controls in small corrections, flying around various hulks and the pieces of them that were strewn before their path. When they were almost out of the main belt of it, and several ticks of an arc away from where he’d seen the creature, he grinned again. ”Well I think I’m still not on the couch yet so the day is young.” he teased.

Pushing the power levers to their stops he shot out of the debris, spinning the Recon X before looping it and racing along the outer edge of the debris. On the main channel, to include Intrepid Actual, ”Think we’re clear enough, so, Resume Exercise.” With that, he whipped the fighter in a tight turn, knowing he had the edge of speed on Joy’s fighter as well as knowing she’d have pushed it to try to keep up, meaning she should be close to where his nose fell as soon as he pulled out of the turn. A turn that would keep his void black fighter near invisible in the star field behind him.

Jocelyn chuckled over the comms. She maneuvered the Defender around the debris. "Copy that." she said. It was hard to see the X-wing, if it weren't for the lights of the engines it would have been impossible to make out the silhouette in the darkness of space. That made the hunt more interesting.

The sensors still picked it up, though if Feral activated the Electronic Warfare package it would be pretty hard to keep up. The Rebels excelled in that, though admittedly it was not that hard given that the Empire provided mostly basic sensors to the regular TIEs.

Joy noticed the maneuver a second too late, but tried to match it. There was some strain on the hull, but nothing the Defender could not handle. "Nice try." she commed, even though she lost sight of him, but he wouldn't know that right away.

Feral chuckled, at Joy’s comm call. He knew this was about testing and trying to see what the Defender was capable of. But, he glanced at the EW screen shaking his head. He could have all but vanished from her sensors but most of the Sheep, with the exception of the currently sitting Delta Two, Trigger’s bird, didn’t have the EW packages so it was more important to test it without, even if he pushed the edge.

A grin crossed his face, as the turn finished and he could still see the Defender out of the corner of his viewscreen. Pulling back on the power levers, asymmetrically, he slewed the nose of the Recon bird toward her TIE. Whether she could see him or not, visually, he was certain that the maneuver he’d just done would leave her sensors still seeing him traveling the same direction he had been, without noting that he was facing her, while ‘skidding’ across the sky.

Jocelyn was able to react faster this time. The X-wing's computer was emitting some light that helped her with that. Normally there would be a workaround this when on a mission but Feral did not seem to be wanting to make things too realistic. Joy positioned the Defender in such a way that their crafts almost kissed it was pretty hard, but she was sure that they could pull it off. If not, the sharp nose of the X-wing would pierce the canopy. "How about we race? Or should we simulate a dogfight?"

Bones warbled loudly as the triwings of the Defender socketed around the nose of the Recon X, slipping forward until they almost connected. His tones were loud and annoyed as the maneuver continued, Feral’s visor peering at Joy’s. And then a chuckle came over the comms, ”A race, this should prove…interesting.” he replied. ”You’ve already named your stakes, earlier. If I win this race…” the visor flicked up for a moment, this close she could see the humor in his eyes, ”you wear the outfit I found a while back tonight. You know which one.” he said, winking before the visor shut and his bird did a twisting, reverse thrust pull back from the Defender, his cockpit dipping and the nose rolling between the lower two wings of hers.

Jocelyn's eyes widened "You wouldn't dare!" she hissed over the comms though could not hide her amusement "That is a low blow!" she grinned "You are making it hard for me to want to win." she added and gave a smug smirk. "I can be generous though, I can give you some headstart. So that you have some chance to win."

Feral let a low laugh get sent over the comms as he maneuvered his fighter so that he was more alongside the Defender. ”I do enjoy that confidence.” As he spoke one hand was typing to Bones, telling his droid to set the limiters to the edge of his kind’s tolerance. ”So, what course or what distance?” he asked.

"If you are so desperate to see me in that outfit, you could have asked." she giggled over the comms "Let's not make it too far or Intrepid might think I am trying to run away with the Defender." she sighed "Not too big of a distance but enough to test it." she keyed the data and transmitted it to Feral's X-wing.

Feral checked the course that Joy had set, smiling softly. Pressing his head back against the rest of the fight seat, he felt the rest click against the latches on the sides and back of his helmet, holding it in place. His suit inflated, preparing to assist him in pumping blood through his body, as his right hand rested on the power levers. Pressing a button to activate the headsup to follow the track she’d sent, he clicked the comm with his other hand. ”On three. One….two………..thr…” Before he’d even gotten the T of three out of his mouth his hand had punched the power levers forward, the engines screaming into what would be for most the redline, the blackout zone. Instead, for him, he began to ride the adrenaline crest of flying faster than most other species could handle as his Recon X howled down the invisible track of the ‘race course’.

Good thing that Jocelyn had fast reactions or she would have missed the cue and Feral would have had a bigger advantage. She pushed the levers forward and the Defender started gaining speed. Jocelyn was gambling on her craft maintaining structural integrity, but her dignity was on stake! "Almost... there..." she murmured as the TIE was gaining in on the X-wing. The Imperial inertial dampeners were much worse than the Rebel ones, so the pilots were trained to resist, though she was only human.

Bones kept Feral apprised on how quickly Joy was flying and catching up as he focused on following the course line that the HUD had set. As his droid whistled, telling him she was getting closer he tried to nod, the locked in helmet keeping him from doing so. Touching the power levers, he pushed them slightly past the detents, thanking Wyrock for having made the extra adjustments. His flightsuit began pumping blood up and down his legs as the force of the speed was causing that action to be needed, as he kept his fighter just ahead of hers. ”That thing still holding together, Joy?” he asked over the comms, as the starscape was becoming a blur at this speed.

"Some creaking and strain." there was some of the latter in her voice. The Defender was reaching her limits. Besides, she did not dare to push it further. It won't be good if she passed out when the craft starts to fall apart. The TIE had gained in on the X-wing, though she doubted that she would be able to overtake him. Hopefully it will be a draw...

Bones chirped behind him, warning him, not of the fact Joy might catch them but of the fact he could sense that the Defender was closing on the limit of what it could do before any residual damage caught up and tore it apart. With that, Feral pulled back fractionally on the power levers, not enough to make it obvious but enough that, he gauged by the course track, they would be even crossing the finish line. ”Keep that bucket of bolts together, Joy, I would like us both to make it back in one piece.” he called over the comm, only slightly teasing.

Jocelyn felt relieved that Feral slowed down. She was getting worried that something might go wrong. Her craft needed a thorough check up and proper maintenance before it was fully back to action. The fact that the Defender line was discontinued meant that spare parts were even harder to find, aside from the ones the Empire had in stock.

They would have to shoot down another Defender and cannibalize it for parts. "I know what you want." she chuckled over the comms "I will wear it only in private." she grinned and slowed the TIE as well. The warning signs on the computer started disappearing one by one. She had pushed it to the limit. "It will be some time before the Defender will be ready to go into combat. A heated dogfight will be all it takes for it to fall apart."

”Then let us get you back to the hangar so that thing can be NDT’d before you take it anywhere near combat. Not losing you to something as simple as a crack that opens because you had to push it too hard.” Feral replied as he arced his fighter over, aiming the nose toward the Intrepid. Switching to the main comm freq, Intrepid Actual, Delta One, two craft RTB, that Defender is going to need a thorough going over and rebuild before it can be used.”

TAGS: @Vehn, @TheAdmiral, all others interested in the flight

8. Sgt.Matt

May 12, 2018
    Intrepid Mess Hall/Kitchen

Stove heat was set to a reasonably hot temperature as the boiling stewpot steamed, Pudge clamped on a tight lid on the chili pot before grabbing his saucepan and a cutting board, taking a whiff of the liquid yolks being slow cooked at Tatooine heat. Whiphid proceeded to then rip off the plastic wrap encasing the slabs of Veg-Meat, his senses were greeted by the sweet smell of grounded vegetable and animal protein matter; though he did pick up a faint scent of offal mixed in as well. Veg-Meat was often a good source of instant protein but the growth and mixing of plant and animal matter sometimes meant that greengrocers "got creative" with where they got the meat. No matter, Pudge took a deep breath, breath and started to lay down the slimy green slabs on his cutting board.

"Meat like this is hard to come by ratio wise, better cut up the most it and use the rest for extra chili meat," Pudge whipped off a butcher cleaver from his cutting tools on the table, sharpening it off his board in two swipes. "Gorg will be added in later, that will need to be pureed into a light dressing, not unlike most chubafly soups."

He then started to cut up the slabs into rows of four, then diagonally and finally clipping off the tips on all ends for recycling's sake. Pudge grinned at his cuts with satisfaction and collected them from his cutting board, including the slimy ends he clipped off, until hoarding them all in the saucepan. "Better add half of the bone broth in this to make the meat secretions more...saucier, yeah, that'll do it," The Whiphid muttered softly, he turned to the thick canister of the boney soup substance. Taking hold of it; he unscrewed the cans top off and poured half of the marble-white liquid atop the saucepan; carefully coating the green meat chunks in white glazing.

"Good, the stuff is still fresh and smells good, now time for it to cook slowly with the chili pot" Pudge then settled the saucepan on his stove, setting the dial down a peg from Tatooine levels of heat to regular, soft Felucia levels of heat; he didn't want his stuff to go bad from burning. He then turned to the preserved Gorg and a packet of ration paste; by the other side of the kitchen wall next to the fridge, was a battered blender that saw better use somewhere else.

Pudge cracked his furry knuckles and proceeded to make today's luncheon, unperturbed by the stuff going on around him...

TAG: Anyone really (Chili's almost through and the soup will be on...)

9. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    GM Update:

IC: Commander Firmus Khairn

“It is my professional opinion that Commander Firmus Khairn be reinstated as commanding officer of the Black Sheep. Effective immediately…” ~Dr. Raynor

Commander Firmus Khairn breathed a sigh of relief. He even smiled. What a day. He was being reinstated. Well, once he talked with Husk of course.

Khairn breathed deeply for the first time in his life. The old anxieties slowly melting away. He had tools now to deal with his emotions. His stress. His fears. Tools that he didn’t have before. Tools that would help him cope. Tools that would make him better at his job. He wanted to start fresh with the squadron. Start over. The way he’d come across before left little doubt in his mind what the Sheep thought of him. Thought of his leadership abilities. It had all gone so wrong. It was, largely, his own fault. His own doing. His own making. The squadron was dispersed now. Spread to the corners of the ship and the galaxy. The fighters were grounded. Everything was in chaos. The lights had just flickered on and then shut off before coming back on again.

Something was wrong.

Khairn rounded a flickering corridor, in a less heavily traveled section of the ship, and nearly ran over a crouched individual who was busy doing something with a pair of wires and a datapad. The activity was suspicious. Off. It wasn’t normal procedure. The figure stood and looked at Khairn. The figure’s face flashed in the lights as the power came back on.

You…what are you doing here? You’re supposed to be on the…”, Khairn growled.

The figure didn’t reply as a blaster emerged from the darkness leveled in Khairn’s direction.

Khairn made the connection quickly between the datapad, where the figure was located inside the Intrepid, the blaster, and the overall mood of the situation.

“You’re the mole! You traitorous son of a-“ Khairn cursed before the trigger was pulled not once but two times.

Khairn crumpled to the ground, twitching, jerking, as blood pooled across his chest. The figure pressed a button on the datapad and gently creeped past Khairn's dying figure and into the darkness of the corridor. As the figure moved past Khairn a small rank pip fell out of the collar of the figure's unifom and landed directly on Khairn's bloody chest.

Khairn, coughing, and shaking, slowly brought his comm link to his mouth and choked out two very simple yet powerful words, “Help me…”

Darkness came for him as well.

Tag: @adaml83; @Adalia-Durron; @Mistress_Renata

OOC: Let your investigation begin....and don't worry this mole problem is only just beginning.

Dreadnaught Scimitar
    Engine Room

Wyrock was a miracle worker.

The engines, clunky and in need of proper servicing, began a slow ascent back to life. Slowly, cautiously, as if the dreadnaught was nervous to start again fuel began to flow. Lights came on in corridors. Oxygen scrubbers resumed their duties. A gentle thrumming was heard throughout the ship as its old heartbeat returned to life.

Lou and the Marines advanced to the bridge leaving Akiva and Wyrock in the engine hold. They didn’t encounter any more Imperials. Though Lou refused to be goaded into lowering her guard. They didn’t encounter any more strange things like the Starweird. They encountered very little.

The double blast doors to the bridge parted. Lou and the Marines conducted a quick sweep only to find that the bridge was unoccupied. Consoles were slowly coming to life as Lou sat down in the captain’s chair and frantically accessed the nearest terminal.

“Wyrock, Akiva,” Lou called out on comms, “I need your help getting this baby running. I don’t know a damn thing about capital ships. Get up here.”

OOC: We'll resume our conversation....

Tag: @Mitth_Fisto; @darthbernael

Iona System

The remaining Gozanti cruisers went evasive as the Rebel force struck them hard and with the element of surprise. TIE losses were mounting as the Imperials struggled to regain mental clarity in the wake of the attack. There was confusion as the remaining TIE fighters struggled to get a clear picture of the ever-changing battlefield.

Overall, chaos reigned for the Empire.

The two CR90 corvettes had shot out ahead of the Rebel reinforcements and, despite their damage, were spooling up their hyperdrives to do their last jump before rendezvousing with the Sanguinity and the Intrepid. The corvettes had been hit hard but both captains had considered themselves lucky to still have their hyperdrives intact.

Two of the Gozanti cruisers began to make an about face and target the A-Wings and X-Wings. Their lasers fired sporadically in all directions as the gunner crews became desperate to score any hits. The lead ship in the element was coordinating the struggling TIE fighter defense as the general sense of confusion continued.

The third Gozanti cruiser, damaged by the explosion of the first, drifted lazily away from the others venting fuel into space. The stricken ship continued, however, to open up with everything in its possession. No doubt it wouldn’t go down without a hard fight. All the while it was sending out a distress signal for any nearby Imperial forces to come to her aide.

It was then that something emerged from hyperspace. Something entirely unexpected.

OOC: Continue your attack and feel free to land hits on two of the remaining three Gozantis. The last one is saved for....a surprise.

Tag: @Sarge; @Mira Grau; @Adalia-Durron and a tag to someone else out there.....

Intrepid
    The Virus

The vital systems to the Intrepid were protected.

For now.

Firewalls were holding. System checks, reboots, and defensive measures were enacted to keep key systems such as life support, engineering, and navigation from succumbing to this new and unexpected electronic attack. For extra precaution all bulkhead doors and entryways in and out of key areas such as the bridge, hangars, and weapons lockers were operated using manual release levers rather than the usual electronic methods.

As time passed the virus mutated, morphed, and grew more aggressive as it double down on its attack of the other squadrons that the Intrepid carried. Soon the Intruders and the Vipers mechanical service droids were infected.

[​IMG]

Those droids in turn attempted to frantically plug into any terminals in an effort to save what little remained of their unique identities. It was almost as if the virus was prompting the droids to commit a sort of self-destruction sequence.

Paranoid mechanics and plane cew resorted to using restraining bolts on their droids as the general fear throughout the hangars was that the droids would turn, somehow, on their human masters. The large blast doors separating the squadrons respective hangars came down sealing everyone in together. There was to be no intermingling between the Sheep, the Intruders, and the Vipers. Especially since the latter two had been compromised as well.

The concern regarding the droids grew as Maderas worked hard on each individual Sheep fighter that had been grounded as a result of the virus. The Sheep craft were slowly coming back online. Still there were concerns about the efficacy of the squadron. The lack of a squadron flying CAP left the burgeoning Rebel fleet in a bind. They had very little, if any, defensive capabilities. It would be several hours before the Sheep’s craft were ready to fly. Not to mention rebooting the electrical systems.

Maderas’ datapad vibrated. A new message came in from command.

Virus has penetrated the firewalls of the missile launchers. Two salvoes have already been launched. Stop what you are doing and head to weapons control near the bridge. The weapon’s launchers need to be overridden. The virus has locked command out. Please assist."

Tag: @Sgt.Matt

OOC: Take your time with this and enjoy.

TIE Defender and Recon X

“Affirmative Delta One,” Intrepid Actual replied, “be advised that the Intrepid is on lockdown until further notice.”

There was a long pause before a new transmission came through.

Delta One, Actual, uh, we’ve got a problem. Concussion missiles have launched in two salvoes against the Sanguinity. The virus has taken control of the launchers. We count at least twelve missiles on their way. Since you’re the only fighters flying out there we need your help taking them out. They are actively seeking targets so watch out. Good hunting, Actual out.”

Tag: @TheAdmiral; @darthbernael

OOC: Pretty straightforward. Have some fun you two!

Intrepid Hull

The Imperial device near the comm array finished transmitting. It's usefulness had run its course. The final signal from the operator inside the Intrepid was to self destruct.

The explosion wouldn’t be very large. That would draw too much attention. Rather it would be no more impactful than if a small meteorite clanked against the Intrepid’s hull. Big enough to destroy the device but small enough to go unnoticed. The timer began counting down from ten minutes.

Unnoticed, that is, were it not for Digger being nearby who could scan the device and figure out a potential way to disarm what had just become a bomb....

OOC: Get creative here if you'd like. No wrong approach. Surprise me!

Tag: @Mistress_Renata

Tag: @Rebecca_Daniels; @Sinrebirth; @AgentViper007; @Trieste (nothing direct but again just a friendly heads up that the game is moving forward. There may be opportunities here for development for some of you.)

OOC: This update wasn't as expansive as I'd have liked but it gets us all moving in the right direction. Please resume working on any joint posts that you have going and best of luck. Any questions please feel free to PM. Next update will be launched around March 18th. That should give us all a solid two weeks to work on things.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
  10. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    IC: Captain Finnefrael “Feral” Ordwgal, Jocelyn "Joy" Sunwalker, Major MacKenzie “Fox” Hollymander, Traer “Trigger” Lin, Amber “Vixen” Tehanis.

Intrepid hangar and bar – THIS IS A FLASH BACK!! JUST AFTER THE LAST MISSION – JUST TOOK A BIT OF TIME TO GET IT DONE!!!

Feral had is eyes locked on Traer, waiting to see if the other man would escalate things. He could feel Wyrock tensing against his outstretched hand. When, however, his flightmate chose to sardonically salute at Joy and walked away, the tense set of his body relaxed.

Glancing at Wyrock, “Better get the dents knocked out of that Recon X, he’s going to end up using it again at some point.” he told her before he responded to the coy expression and question that Joy had asked.

Turning back to face her, he noticed Major Hollymander approaching. Reaching up to touch his nose with a wince as the other man walked up he replied to Joy, "It’ll heal quickly so…yes, we can join the others at the bar.”

When Hollymander reached them, "Hello Major. I believe the Flight Lieutenant has some major anger issues, to the point he ignored orders. He is a good pilot but…his anger drives him, not working with others or fighting the fight that is needed to fight. Throwing him in the brig won’t solve that though.” he replied to the question. Moving his hand from his nose, “The nose will heal, he’s forgotten my kind heal quickly.”

"If you're sure. You have ever right and maybe a night in the brig would cool his head off a bit?" MacKenzie suggested.

“That is an idea but the way he looks he’s headed to collapse in bed. And would probably take another swing at anyone trying to take him to the brig.” Feral reply, glancing to where Traer had just left the hangar.

"If you change your mind, file a report, I'll see to it." Taking two steps backward he gave the man a very lose salute, "enjoy your celebrations." Turning he walked back to Amber.

Nodding at the other man, Feral looked back to Joy, “So…how about that drink. I can write my report on the way there.”

Joy was pleased to hear that there was no major damage to Feral. It had taken her a lot of restraint not to hit Traer. Back in the Empire she would have snapped at both of them and probably would have had both in the brig for good measure. The Empire was like that. Why be precise when you just blast the problem with a Death Star.

"Yes, I will have to write mine too. Good thing we Y-wing pilots don't have that much to do. We just swipe in and blast the biggest target and leave." she chuckled "Also, did you see that Defender?" her eyes were sparkling. "I hope I can convince command to let me take it for a spin."

Pulling out his pad as they walked, Finn began to write up his report. Glancing over at the Defender then back at Joy, “It’s a good bird, fast, agile, powerful. But…everything has a weakness.” he said, “They’re not invincible and we showed the Death’s Heads that today.” He wouldn’t mind taking the Defender up for a spin but he knew now what their major weakness was.

Meeting her eyes, "I know your Y Wing is slower but if they offered to let you fly our trophy there in battle instead I’d suggest you stick with your slow bird, I think it would be safer.” he knew there was an edge of concern in his tone when he told her that, since he knew their foes knew the weakness as well.

Jocelyn glared at him at the last remark. "I have been itching to get back behind the controls of one." she stated matter-of-factly "Besides, it doesn't look too banged up." she shrugged "I have flown a more damaged TIE before." Jocelyn smirked.

At the glare, Feral shrugged. She was a strong woman and he’d given his warning. Anything else would be on her. He added a few more lines to the report, including Traer’s failure to follow orders when attacking the Defenders during the battle. Looking back up to her, “That’s not really a medal to wear proudly, Joy. I’ve flown some birds with bits dropping off before too.” He sighed, “But we wouldn’t be where we were if we weren’t willing to take chances.” Looking up, he glanced down a couple cross corridors, “Was it this corridor or the next to head to the bar?”

Jocelyn kept glaring at him for a second more, then sighed "You are right." she did not want to admit it, but he was "Though if properly patched up I am sure it will be safe to fly." she did not want to give it up, giving him a sly look "You will not keep me away from it for too long." she chuckled realizing how absurd she was sounding.

"I think it is that way." she pointed "I have not frequented the place too much." she shrugged.

The last part of the report was being written in as she glared at him once more. Unfortunately for Traer the most likely response would be the Marines taking him from his quarters for a cool down in the brig, but the man really did need a chance to do just that, before he hurt himself or others. With the report done, he signed it off, sending it up the chain.

At her challenging retort about the Defender he chuckled, “As though you weren’t the obvious choice to test fly it once it’s flyable again.” he replied with a wry grin.

Turning, he cocked an ear, listening down the corridor. With a slight shudder, he nodded, “Yes, you’re right…I’m hearing the faintest of drunken karaoke, I’d believe, coming from that direction.” Slipping his datapad back into the thigh pouch, he crooked his arm so she could slip hers under if she wanted, “So…let's see what they have worth drinking.”

"You would be surprised." she grimaced as she slipped her arm under his. "I am not exactly..." she paused looking for the right word "Popular around here." Jocelyn sighed "Aside of the Squadron no one has been too friendly." she shrugged "Probably I look too Imperial for them." she gave a bitter chuckle "I can't seem to fit in like Lou."

"Anyway, enough complaining." Joy smiled "Let's join the rest, it seems the party is in full swing. I promise I won't be singing any depressing songs this time."

Still smiling, with a slight chuckle, a wave of aroma and sound hit their ears as he opened the door to the bar, letting her slip in just before he did. Raising his voice in the din just so she could hear him, “Honestly, you sing better than whoever is up there right now.” he said, without a glance at whoever the current drunken crooner was. “What’s your poison?”

Amber had tried. Bathing in a hot shower and putting casuals on was not helping the urgent need in her head to stop something. She didn't know what it was but laying down had failed horribly. She now paced her tiny quarters, the gnawing buzz in her head telling her she had to be somewhere else. It was eating at her.

Till she gave into it. Following her instincts she walked down corridors, her long red hair swayed freely as she focused on the feeling, not even looking where she was heading. Avoiding crew members with a determined look on her face she emerged in the newly established bar. Someone was singing, more Karaoke, did the Sheep need more of that? She'd not do that again, she'd made a fool of herself last time, although she knew she was better than whoever was singing now. The feeling was stronger, almost urgent but she didn't know what or why or how. She just felt she was in the right place, but didn't know why.

Jocelyn pouted "I am not sure how to take it." she said in mock offense "Being compared to some drunken ruffians." she used an exaggerated posh Coruscanti accent "As a teen I sung in our high school's choir and we had to perform in front of some dignitaries!" she grinned.

Even as he snorted at Joy’s response, Feral had seen Amber enter the bar out of the corner of his eyes. Dimly lit as it was, the red hair was hard to miss. But notice she’d entered was all he did. Chuckling after the snort, “Well, good that one of us has singing training. I’m basically tone deaf. I enjoy and love listening to music and people singing but I about have the range of one note, low toned.” he quipped, having long ago accepted that he couldn’t really sing.

The feeling of something being wrong was growing, it'd started as she'd gotten closer to the bar, but what, who or why was unknown to her at this point. As she moved into the room the skin on the back of her neck tingled, over the years she'd learned what that meant but this time the urge to just walk away as she'd done before was being suppressed like it was in battle. Amber had no idea how she did it when in the field, but somehow she'd managed to quell the fight or flight response, and it was happening right now, without the aid of an X Wing.

Sitting at the end of the bar she gazed around quietly waiting, not to be served, although that would have been nice, but for whatever had drawn her here, whatever was going to happen that demanded her attention.

Jocelyn giggled softly "Well, not everyone can be perfect." she teased him and smirked. Then suddenly she turned a bit serious "What was that all about, with Traer?" she added a hint of concern to her voice. "Did something happen during the battle? I was too focused on the targets and you know how things get mixed up during combat."

Nodding, wincing at the pain in his nose, Feral sighed. “He earned a new callsign out there, Trigger. Because he’s way to trigger happy. When we, when I ordered, one last strafing run of the Death’s Heads he ignored my orders to the point I had to warn him off by taking his target away. A target he was hammering and ignoring everything else. His hyper focus on that one TIE could have led to me being attacked or others of the Sheep being attacked when he was not paying attention to anything else.”

Cradling his nose, feeling that the cartilage as already knitting back together, slowly, he glanced over at her, "So he completely ignored a direct order, to start. And then, when we got back, Wyrock had been following the ship data and knew what had happened. She…tried to get him back to his senses, her way. I then had a few choice words for him, explaining quite directly how much kacky he’d stepped in, which was when he sucker punched me.”

Joy grimaced "He is lucky he is not in the Empire, he would have ended summarily executed or digging spice on Kessel with no protection." she grunted. "I hope he will see some sense, unless he wants to risk the lives of others. Though from what I have seen so far, he does not care about the Squadron. He is a potential liability." Jocelyn sighed. "In this case I will refrain from giving advice as I am still too Imperial and you know that to us everything is a nail." she snort chuckled.

Traer had mulched for a moment before heading to the bar.

He had been assaulted, someone battering his X-wing, and then shouted at, deeply unprofessionally, rather than called aside for a private meeting and dress-down. His 'punishment' was between him and his commander, and Traer had every intention of escalating it above Feral's-we-should-play-by-rules-of-war-against-mass-murdering-Imps games.

He pointedly ignored them all, and Feral's shiner, and ordered a strong drink. Two, actually, one for each hand.

Feral was about to respond to Joy when he saw Traer enter the bar. Shaking his head, the man had no shame or remorse, that he could see. Or, he glanced at his chrono, he believed that the Marines wouldn’t be coming for him in the next few minutes, after his AAR had been read. But, considering he was about to be drinking heavily, Feral tensed slightly, as he stood next to Joy, sure she felt it, “Yes, booze and his attitude, a good mix.” he told her in a low tone.

She saw him enter, and felt the anger instantly. Amber watched Traer walk to the bar and order two drinks, two, that she knew from past personal experience, it wasn't the answer. Then she felt someone else react to him, leaning out from her seat she saw Feral looking and sighed. "Speaking recipes for disaster." She muttered to herself. Maybe this was the tension she'd been feeling, the threat? She figured they'd keep their distance from each other, and what she was feeling now was all she'd get. Putting one hand to her temple she closed her eyes and tried to isolate the anger and frustration out from her own feelings, as they were not hers. She'd learned that over the short time, not all the things going through her head, were hers. The feelings weren't dissipating, and without explanation she felt compelled to stay with no idea why.

Joy was puzzled by Feral's reaction when she followed his gaze and saw Traer coming in. Her eyes widened in surprise. What the blazes he was doing here? Why was he not in the brig? The bar was the worst place to have a... altercation. "I don't think it is a good idea." she reached and took him by the elbow "Don't do anything stupid." she cautioned Feral.

Feral let some of the tension go as he felt Joy trying to direct him away. “He’s got more problems than me soon.” he muttered as he followed, still keeping an eye on Traer. “And, he may not give me any choice when the Marines show up for him.”

Traer ended up glowering at them from across the room, nursing drinks. The social outcast as ever, he had nobody to tell him to stop, no date sweeping in, and he only drank. It was a busy night, and he didn't imagine the bar was keeping track of who was drinking what and how much, especially not.

There was noise, riotous, happy, general, and Traer dissociated after his fifth drink, regarding the oversized glass for a moment, half drank, not entirely sure he was going to make it to a sixth.

He heard laughter.

Now, at this point, Traer wasn't sure who said it, or who it was directed at, not intellectually.

But emotionally, irrationally, on an emotional level, he was caught off guard, and so obviously and instantly he knew that it was Mr Feral Smug Face and Smarmy Ass who was laughing at his expense.

Traer roared, upturned the table, and hurled his mug at Feral with all his might.

It'd been a hour and nothing had happened, she could feel the various emotions in the room and the majority was jovial and celebratory. Then there was this low-level underlying anger, she suspected who it was but from where she was sitting with her one drink, that she'd nursed for the entire time, it was almost impossible to confirm it. Too many beings, milling and moving around, and so many feelings flashing and ebbing. Putting her fingers to her temple, Amber was about to give it up, her head aching from the noise in it, the feeling swirling and threatening to overwhelm her at times.

That's when the underlying anger revealed itself, in an explosive way.

She was on her feet, dropping her own glass as she watched in disbelief at Traer's actions, knowing she was a moment too late to stop his actions.

Jocelyn was too focused on Feral to notice the mug flying towards him. She only had enough time to widen her eyes in shock at what her brain was beginning to process. Joy was sure that even if she were a Jedi she would not have been able to react in time. So the only thing remained was to stare in horror and hope to be able to prevent what was going to happen afterwards.

Hearing the laughter, Feral turned to see what had caused it. He began to smile and turn back towards Joy when he heard an angered roar. The sound of a table slamming made him start to turn, before he dropped to the floor of the bar, one hand reaching up to the back of his head. He never saw the beer glass that hit him, only the impact of it against his head that made him collapse.

His head spinning, he clutched his head, feeling warmth and something wet, his other hand pushing against the floor to try to return to his feet. As he staggered up, he could see the angered face of Traer not too far away and suddenly realized what had happened, at least partially. With his hand still pressed to his head, he tried to regain his focus, finding his footing as he stepped closer to his wingman. “What…? Why, Traer?” he got out as he found the words.

He didn’t see, through the small crowd, as the doors opened and a pair of Marines entered the bar, armbands proclaiming they were Shore Patrol. Both of them began to look around, obviously looking for one individual in particular.

Amber took a step as the mug hit the man, her abilities were controlled enough to stop it, but she wasn't prepared, and drawing on it took more than a thought. Across the room she noted the new comers, and the urge, no, need to step in was strong. It was bordering on powerful as she took another step, her feelings being overwhelmed with the emotions around her as she put her hands to her head.

"Feral!" Jocelyn cried out as the mug connected with his face. She bent over to try to help him to his feet or at least to help him to sit. If looks could kill Traer would have keeled over dead, but things did not work like that. "You okay?" she knew it was a stupid question "Can you sit?" she asked concerned.

Feral replied by actually standing up and heading towards Traer. That was the worst idea ever! Thankfully the MPs came. "Let them do their job." she said to him once she caught up with him.

Traer saw the MPs and grabbed his chair and threw it at them -

He grabbed a glass from another table and hurled it generally in the direction of Feral, this time his assault all the more telegraphed, and obvious, reaction time a given -

At this point Traer was all adrenaline, endorphins and alcohol. No semblance of consciousness was evident, only the belief, incorrect, misguided, basically wrong, that Feral had it in for him -

Only a small, tiny part of his mind was grateful Kio hadn't seen him like this.

That was the catalyst. Amber surged forward, throwing one arm toward Traer, the other one swung around as the look of concentration on her face was evident. These two moves were all she needed to stop his.

Traer was physically lifted and pushed up against the bars wall, a look of shock and disgust on his face, the swing took the chair and changed it's path to the floor and the glass shattered in mid-air.

Turning to the MP's, the swinging arm held up, palm out, "NO!!" She yelled; an invisible wave was directed at them in an attempt to stop them. Her attention to turned to Feral, while the other hand held Traer in position. "GO!" Her words were powerful, only two but the power behind them was strong. She was breathing heavily now, concentration strong as he eyes locked with Feral, "I said go." Her voice an almost growl.

Several things seemed to happen before his still trying to focus eyes. He felt Joy trying to convince him to not confront Traer, he saw the MPs entering and looking around. And then…Traer just seemed to go haywire. A chair was flung at the MPs, Feral’s best guess was that the Seppie finally realized they were there for him or just didn’t care anymore. But he didn’t have time to focus on that as yet another beer glass was flung at his head.

Just as he began to duck the chaos became focused. To him, it seemed sound and movement became muted, most of the bar becoming a sepia landscape, save for himself and the red-haired Amber. He didn’t profess to understand the Force, didn’t have any true talent for it, but he felt something, felt what she was doing. The moment lasted an eternity, but at the same time less than a second, before everything snapped into focus again, the MPs stopped in their tracks, Traer flung from his feet toward the wall and held there, and the glass shattered before his face.

He heard the words she spoke as though they didn’t reach his ears but rather his mind, directly. Tired, sore, nose throbbing from earlier as well as his head aching from the newer injury, he nodded wearily. Turning, he glanced at Joy, “Take me to the medics.” he whispered, almost swaying on his feet as he wobbled toward the exit of the bar.

The MPs grunted tried to probe the edges of whatever was holding them in place. The bar needed to be shut down for the night, in their estimation, giving the events, but that required that they finish their first assigned duty first. The faster on the uptake one of the pair turned his head enough to look at the flame haired pilot that had her hand extended towards them. “Ma’am, we are here to take Corporal Traer Lin to the brig, charged with assaulting a superior.” he told her, as calmly as he could.

Slowly Amber lowered both her hands, her head pounding as she fell to her knees. At least she knew why she was there now.

Traer, to his surprise at being physically lifted was only narrowed by the hatred in his eyes.

Force User.

A memory, of the Clone Wars, and he latched onto that -

And then Traer hit the wall, and slid down. Unconscious, at very least, concussed, definitely.

Everything after, for him, was mere detail.

TAG @Vehn, @darthbernael @TheAdmiral @Sinrebirth and anyone interested in what happened.......

Phew....that was a big one!

Sarge, Mistress_Renata, Vehn and 3 others like this.
  11. AgentViper007

AgentViper007 Force Ghost star 7

Mar 9, 2005
    IC: Artemis "Artie" Deco Location: Intrepid, getting a bad feeling about this…

Artie was heading back to his Y wing tp do final checks he saw the lights go out. He stopped mid stride and had a look around, what the hell was going on?

He had been told there was important stuff going on but not exactly what. Was this linked to it? Was this a technical malfunction? He hoped so.

The lights came back on not long afterwards so Artie continued on. Technical malfunction, that was it.

Reaching his Y wing he grabbed a sniff of himself and wrinkled his nose definitely need a refresher. Maybe he could come back and take another look at the Y wing later, and introduce himself properly to his techs.

As he turned around…the hangar doors were closed. That was really not a good sign, he was stuck here.

Oh great, his nervousness rising to the fore first day here and i'm already stuck in a hangar. I have a bad feeling about this…..

Maybe he was thinking too much about things but he had a look around to see what the atmosphere in the hangar was like.

In short: chaos…

Droids were speeding around like their wheels were on fire, mechanics and others looked panicked and looked like they were trying to slap restraining bolts on them. Was this malfunction linked to the droids maybe? Artie's droid had not yet rolled up to him so thankfully he was unaffected by this.

People looked too harrassed to find out what was going on, and being socially awkward Artie felt like this was maybe not the right time. But he was getting more nervous by the second.

Alright Artie, remain by your fighter. You might get the call for your fighter to go out. Well it's not like you can go anywhere else on board, you're stuck.

Artie sighed. Just when he had been on a high after completing training and potentially maybe joining the squadron, things had gone to pot. Hopefully soon it would all be sorted and he could meet some of his fellow pilots.

Artie remembered chaos well, the escape from Son Tay was full of it. Explosions, fighters flying overhead and a hell of a lot of screaming and shouting. He squeezed his eyes shut trying to make the memories go away.

He leant against the ladder of his Y wing, the nervousness still chewing away at him.

I hope this all ends soon….

TAG: @Vehn , Anyone

Mistress_Renata, Sarge, Vehn and 4 others like this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    IC: PO3 Lughdyt
    "I Love the Smell of Ionized Droids in the Morning"

It was happening. He had been doing his best to warn people for over a century. There were too many droids, all of them taking away much-needed jobs from honest hard-working organic people. But no one wanted to listen. They rolled their eyes and laughed at his warnings. Called him reactionary. Paranoid. Anti-droidite.

And now he was right. It was finally the time of Droidageddon. The Butlerian Jihad. Droidnarok. Droidocalypse. Now.

But if no one else was ready, Lughdyt was.

The Ugnaught opened the lowest drawer of his big roll-around toolbox, shoved aside the stash of spare parts he kept there, and pulled open the false bottom. Oh yes, I'm ready.

Two bandoliers of Clone Wars surplus droid poppers draped across his shoulders. A Merr-Sonn ion blaster pistol in a hip holster. An overpowered hotwired shock wand on the other hip. A massive customized Jawa DEMP carbine slung across his back. A sack of left over restraining bolts tucked into his belt.

Tying a grease rag around his forehead for a sweatband, he stalked around Rebel Rouser. None of these mechanized barve-holes is getting anywhere near MY ship!

A binary load-lifter was tramping across the hangar, looking like it might pass in the general vicinity of B Flight's ramp space. With a predatory growl, the Ugnaught unslung the Jawa carbine from his back and pointed it at the massive droid. No need to give it any warning. You don't warn an appliance or a power tool when you turn it off.

As he pulled the trigger of the crudely built weapon, he felt the insulation on the grip crack. A vicious electrical shock slammed through his arm and hurled him backward at least two meters. He landed on his back, hard, and lay there twitching and drooling.

Darkness closed in on him, moving faster than the rhythmic tramp of the load-lifter's treads. He was fading into unconsciousness.

The horror...

The horror...

TAG: All the heroes of the hangar deck.

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    IC: Traer and Zara - a @Rebecca_Daniels and Sinrebirth combo!
    The Brig

"You shot someone?"

Zara looked up sharply at Traer's question. Part of her had been hoping he'd just take the offer and leave, but then again— he didn't look entirely... there. She probably didn't either. Both of them a mess, and deservedly in here.

"... yeah. I did."

Traer grunted. Well, that was a thing.

"Did they deserve it?"

"The person I meant to shoot did." She shrugged.

"Oh," he said, when he rhymed her meaning. "So you didn't even shoot the right guy?"

He tried - and failed - to shape his sentence in a way that wouldn't earn him a punch, and winced after he said it.

Traer spoke quickly to cover himself, sitting up on the cot. "Who did you want to shoot and who didn't you want to?"

Zara closed her eyes again. She really should stop talking, but—

"I was trying to kill the man who murdered everyone I've ever known." She paused. "Kio got in the way."

"Kio?" Traer was suddenly alert, and half-reached for her.

"What happened to Kio?!?"

She shrugged. "I've been in here. I assume he's not dead or they'd have taken my head already."

He stood up, shakily, adrenaline combating nausea. "You shot Kio!"

"What is wrong with you?"

This time she remained silent, dropping her head to her knees. That was a question more people probably should have been asking.

After a moment, she found her voice: "... Maybe you should ask him why he's talking with Imperials."

Zara opened her eyes slowly, impassive in the face of his anger.

"I told you, he got in the way of—" She let out a sigh. "Go find out for yourself." Her food hand waved vaguely in the direction of the door.

Traer was addled, but he wasn't losing the point. "No, Zara, tell me about the Imperial."

Zara blinked up at him. What? "The one who... set up my cell. Killed them. Is here now." Shifting in her curled up position, she looked away.

Traer felt her crumble, or, rather, saw her go almost fetal.

"Oh," he said.

"I'm so sorry." He sat down heavily besides her. "But if that Imp is here," his voice was more gentle. "We need to get out." He stood up. "HEY!" He shouted, the echo ringing in his ears, hangover like a concussion. "I SAID HEY!"

"SHE'S COLLAPSED WE NEED MEDICAL HELP!"

Traer looked down at Zara. "Play dead, would ya?"

"Husk said we could leave, idiot." Zara rubbed her face and winced again as she touched the bruises. "As long as we promise to 'play nice'." It wasn't likely that either of them could keep that promise, was it?

"Then let's get going," Traer said, annoyed that he was being penalized for misremembering things with a hangover. "Or are you too busy wallowing today?" His tone was light, but underneath it was the very real understanding that he would break her if Kio wasn't okay.

"... yeah." The marines stepped in as Zara stood, leaning against the wall for support. "I'm fine, don't worry about him. We're leaving." She looked over at Traer. Her head was spinning, but even through that she could see... something. An edge in his eyes. "... right?"

TAG: @Vehn

14. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    ???
    Iona System

The object transitioned from hyperspace, it wasn't cloaked so it showed up on sensors but too far away to get a confirmed signature on it. It moved with haste toward the damaged cruiser, the wounded vessel turning its guns on the object that had entered the fray. Deadly laser blasts lash out but miss the on coming bogey. Blue ion blast lance out from the object crashing into what remained of the shields and sending lightning dancing across the hull. Two crimson streaks followed after, a pair of torpedoes on a deadly trajectory. They impact with a orange bloom taking a chunk out of the already injured vessel. Heavy paired laser blasts skip across the hull of the Gozanti punching holes in the shell of the once proud ship.

The unknown ship breaks away leaving a trail of destruction in its wake. As it comes closer to the Sheep, the sensors return a signature, a Y-Wing, their eyes can confirm this, a yellow nose and a wishbone shape craving through the darkness. Moving closer to the group the IFF finally turns on, their sensors finally putting a name to the UFO.

'KID'

"I sure did miss this…" A youthful feminine voice sounded over their comms, a familiar bubbly voice that sounded like the speaker was smiling. "Vet…you ok?" She called out to her first wingmate, "Vixen you too?" The tone of concern moved to her close friend, "Zero, I still have that card you gave me."

Ianna had returned…The Kid was back.

TAG: @Mira Grau @Adalia-Durron @Sarge

15. adaml83

adaml83 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 8, 2004
    IC: Baniss Vermillion
    Usual hideout, Intrepid

Having decided that the ship’s security was useless, Baniss decided to go through the manifests of oncoming people a month before Naboo.

He also decided that he wanted some notifications in case something weird was going on. Shots were fired somewhere outside the blaster range when we weren't being boarded. The display gave him a rough area, so he notified Mackenzie, and Torren. Baniss wanted to ask Joy, but she wasn’t on the Intrepid.

Shots fired, bring your blaster, medics notified.

Baniss gave them the area that he had, and hurried off with his own holdout blaster.

TAG: @Vehn, @Adalia-Durron, @Rebecca_Daniels

16. Sgt.Matt

May 12, 2018
    Intrepid Hangar

The message only made Zero more determined to nip the virus in the bud, despite the fact that his body was running on fumes at the moment.

"Got four done, hope the guys mind my little vaccine for their ships" Zero mumbled to himself, disconnecting his datapad from the jacking station and placing his coat back on. He placed his datapad back into his slicing toolkit, carefully setting it in it's velvet sleeve with the other tools and gadgets, the slicer ignored the various things going on around him. Droids were going bonkers like a nuna with it's head cut; and some mechanic was launched back by some electrical thing in the back, Zero shook his head before centering his thoughts. Can't get distracted good buddy, I better relay the little accident to the guys on the bridge The slicer bull rushed the mechanical door of the hangar and pulled on the release lever, metal shivered as the bulkhead clanked open. Weapons Bridge, let's hope those people operating the bridge controls haven't touched anything, this virus is no ordinary beast.

He then rushed down the hallways of flickering lights and faint buzzing of lights to the bridge, his heart pounded every second of the way....

TAG: ANYONE!

17. Sgt.Matt

May 12, 2018
    Intrepid Mess Kitchens

The gas-pumped stove had the chili-pot at the boiling point.

Pudge smiled as he could pick up the pleasant scent of boiling golden egg liquid, shells having dissipated into the mixture; the smaller saucepan next to it was giving off an equally delicious smell. Green, protein meat had soaked in the boney glaze and was now secreting an organic light green slime that was perfect for the chili. Veg-Meat was often eaten raw or cooked like most meats and veggies, yet, an experienced cook like Pudge knew that the secretions were much more tastier than the meat itself. However, he had little time to take in the smells, he had to mix the greenish white chunks into the pot before it settles. The Whiphid took an oven mitt and gripped the saucepan carefully...until he started to quickly pour it's contents into the cooking egg liquid; glazed chunks mixed into the chili as Pudge made sure every last bit with the secretions made it in. "Excellent, now my next step is to puree my little gorg for the final touch," Pudge clamped a top over the cooking pot, before waddling over to the small battery blender, pulling it over to the kitchen table where the tiny amphibius meat laid bare.

Pulling off the blenders cover, the Whiphid's face scrunched at the blenders lack of usage, the outside was rusty save the innards; the blades were shiny. What was the set power for shredding meat to dressing...OH YEAH! He smiled at his realization, before grabbing the cold Gorg and plopping its frozen body into the blender. It took some effort to close the top, the tool definitely was a past Republic utensil, all appearance and little ease in setting up. Clamping his large hand on the blenders top, Pudge clicked the blender on and set it to the highest power on the scale, power level eleven to be exact.

"FRAK ME!"

Pudge clung on as the blender jerked a bit on the table, while the Gorg's body was turned into a bright, neon purple swirl; every shredding spin made the metal device shudder. Just five minutes is all I need for this be dressing, just hold on more The cook's fingers were shivering as the purple meat was being pureed to pure sauce. By the end of five minutes, the blender finished as Pudge relaxed his tired hands, laying down the machine next to the packet of ration-paste. After a quick rinse of his messed hands in the sink, the cook massaged his hands for another step in cooking; the adding of paste and other broth half into the pot.

Taking a deep breath, he grabbed the packet of ration paste and canister of remaining bone broth; pulling the lid off the chili pot with a intent for mixing. His product was almost to fruition, the green meat chunks had mixed into the golden egg soup and turned it to a radiant blueish chili, save for the small specks of Veg-Meat that floated by. Pudge poured the remaining boney sludge from the blue cannister slowly, making sure every drops avoids spilling onto the stove. He then tore off the cap on the paste packet and began to squirt it's yellow contents into the pot, draining the fat packet till it shriveled up. "There we go, now, time for a little wait until I add the light meaty dressing" Pudge grinned as lightly stirred the contents with one of his clean knifes, letting his ingredients mix into the bubbling chili.

Upon clamping the lid back on and pumping the stoves setting up to Kashyyk level heating; he took out his pipe from his apron pocket, lighting it up with a match. The Whiphid took a moment to smoke a few blueish smoke rings as he waited for the right period for the chili to fully cook, internally he wondered if anyone in the staff or outside would stop by to check up on him....

TAG: All Staff On The Intrepid (Soup's almost on!)

18. AgentViper007

AgentViper007 Force Ghost star 7

Mar 9, 2005
    OOC: Another brilliant combo with @Vehn, thank you with helping me develop Artie some more :D

IC: Artemis "Artie" Deco & Airen Vehn

Airen cursed as the heavy blast doors of the hangar closed with a loud and resounding thud. He was locked down. Sealed in as if he'd attempted to rob an ancient tomb. He saw several other mechanics dealing with malfunctioning loader droids and shook his head. They didn't have those problems in the Empire. Course the Empire kept a very firm grip on their droid underlings. It was probably one of the few times Airen felt like living and working with the Empire had been a positive thing though he'd never admit that to anyone near him except for his wife, Lou.

Airen opened his toolkit and went to work on Lou's Y-Wing, specifically, the rear gunner turret. He knelt on top of the cockpit and examined the turret housing. There was a good deal of carbon buildup and Clark, the rear gunner, had complained that the turret hadn't seemed as responsive the last time they'd taken the wishbone out.

Airen cursed again. He needed help. The loader droids were compromised. He glanced about the hangar and saw another Y-Wing pilot, Airen didn't know his name, and waved him over, "I could use a hand here! Pull up a ladder and grab a pair of gloves."

[​IMG]

Artie managed to hear the call over the noise of all that was going on. Looked like someone needed his help and by the sounds of it, it sounded mechanical if he needed a pair of gloves.

Patting his Y wings nose and tossing his helmet back into the cockpit he walked over to the source of the noise. A man working on top of another Y wing. Was that…a two seater version?

Artie trotted over, grabbing gloves from nearby (he would put them back) and rolling over a nearby ladder. Pulling on the gloves he climbed up to join the man.

"Hi, I'm Artemis Deco, call me Artie" he said with what he hoped was not a nervous looking smile. Perhaps doing something like this could take his mind off other things going on.

"So, what do you need me to do?" he asked. "And whose Y wing is this?"

"Airen Vehn, plane captain to Louise Vehn," Airen replied, "my wife. Let me tell you being married to a pilot isn't all it's cracked up to be. But enough of that. I need you to help me lift this turret housing out of its socket. The traverse mechanism has been faulty since the wishbone arrived. I just haven't had the time, until now, to do anything about the matter."

Airen knelt beside the cannons and began to use a wrench to dismantle the mounting brackets which were in turn held in place by thick durasteel bolts. He jerked his head toward Artie. "Grab a spanner," Airen said, jerking his head toward a nearby toolbox. There were six mounting brackets on a Y-Wing turret. They all had to be carefully loosened, one at a time in a star pattern position, so as to prevent the stripping of the bolts and the proper unseating of the housing.

"This is a far cry from my former line of work,"Airen whistled as he struggled to get the first bolt off.

Artie could not help but let a big grin cross his face. She'd made it! He let his memories drift back a little, bandaging her up after she'd been tortured, chatting in the heat, stopping her nearly going outside and getting herself shot (and nearly getting thwacked for it).

He remembered her also telling him about her ex husband and losing her child. It seemed she had a happy time since she had returned by getting married to Airen.

Retrieving a spanner he climbed back up and started to get to work on one of the bolts, as he was lacking in strength it was a bit of a struggle.

"I know Louise er…Lou from Son Tay. I was at the prison camp for a while before she arrived. I helped her out a bit, she was kind and nice to me unlike some residents at the camp and the interrogators".

"I'm glad she got out. I got wounded and never knew what happened to anyone after I got taken away" he was really sweating now with trying to get this bolt off he looked up and smiled "Congratulations on getting married, she deserves to be happy after what happened".

"So what did you do before this?"

"Son Tay," Airen grunted, "that place destroyed Lou. I've spent weeks getting her back. Trying to, anyways. We kinda had a fast wedding. A way to heal past the trauma of that place. I remember she mentioned you several times. I'd think when she gets back from her mission she'd love to see you. Catch up. She said you helped her get through some rough times there. I can't thank you enough."

Airen paused as he twisted off one of the bolts.

"Corroded little thing," Airen groaned as he began to start on the next one, "Lou still talks about Son Tay. Not to me, not when we're awake. It's the nightmares. The cold sweats. She wakes up screaming sometimes and it's all I can do to hold her tight. I also wake up after she falls asleep and remove any weapons nearby. Anything she could use to accidentally hurt herself or someone else. Dr. Raynor, ship's doctor, has been working with her but sometimes I wonder if the therapy is really helping or if it's just a waste of time."

Airen continued to work on the second bolt. Just a little bit more.

"I used to be an Imperial officer. I served on Jedha and then the Death Star before it was blown up. I served with Lou's brother. We stole a shuttle and fled Imperial service when he became mortally wounded during the Rebel attack at Yavin. Lucky thing too as the hangars weren't in lockdown yet. We managed to get away. Go back to his home world of Roon. He died in my arms with Lou nearby. It was his dying wish that I help run the family property with her. We didn't always get along, hell we still don't, but eventually we came to an understanding. I guess that's what you call an understanding. A marriage, right?"

"Enough about me," Airen said as Artie continued to plug away, "what about you? How'd you wind up in all this mess? How'd you end up on Sontay?"

Artie had to smile that Lou still remembered him, he even blushed a little as Airen spoke kindly about him as well as Lou.

But his expression turned worried, sad even as Airen recounted Lou's troubles. He knew all about the nightmares, he still had them too even while recovering before being transferred here. And Airen had a tough time too. There were always rumours of defectors going around and now he'd officially met two of them, the other being Joy.

Artie managed to get the first bolt off on his end and wiped his brow with his clothed arm before moving on.

"I wouldn't know about marriage or relationships, I mean er…never had anything romantic in my life. But hey if you are happy and love each other, I guess that's a good marriage right?. I'm glad Lou still remembers me and would love to have a chat. And thank you for your…thanks it's much appreciated"

He tried to get at the other bolt, his muscles beginning to protest "As for my story? Well as you can tell from my accent I'm Commenori. Typical boy when I was younger, wanting adventure and heading out into the stars. Spent my time in speeders with friends pulling risky moves".

"Dad helped me fly the family craft, took a while but got better at it. Then the Empire came along and I wanted to give some karma back because of all the horrid things they did. So against my parents wishes I joined the Rebellion and fancied flying Y wings for the reason that they were the workhorses and packed a punch".

"Completed training, just as I was really nervous about going into a war. Did some what would be considered risky moves during training which got me reprimanded a few times. Then came my first mission, protecting a Rebel transport carrying cargo".

He shivered "Got ambushed by Imperials and had to try my best to protect my squadron and the transport. Stupidly decided to try another risky move and ended up getting hit and then tractored. Why capture a fighter pilot? Who knows".

He was really straining with this bolt, almost there "Got interrogated, that was nasty. Ended up unconscious as I didn't tell them anything and then the next thing I know there is searing heat. Get interrogated again and tortured and told I'm on Son Tay. The rest they say is history".

He wasn't sure he should recount what happened to him there, it brought back too many bad memories "Long story short I tried to escape and got hit in the leg badly. That has healed but the mental and physical scars from there will still be with me, especially the physical ones. I like Lou still have nightmares too".

"Anyways, what's going on around here? Everyone seems so harassed…."

Airen nodded his head as he processed Artie's story. So unique to him but also very much like others he'd talked to who'd been on the other end of the Imperial boot. SonTay had done numbers on the POWs who'd come back. So much still to process. So much healing to work through. It wasn't going to be fixed overnight, either.

"The Intrepid hasn't gotten a break in a long time," Airen pointed out, "the Empire has been hitting us hard every chance they get. Between ambushes and rumours of spies this entire place has gotten dangerously suspicious. Now the droids are malfunctioning due to the virus and everyone is on edge. Trust is not easily given but it is easily broken."

Airen paused as he looked around the hangar. It was still chaos despite his own best efforts to maintain a sense of peace amidst the storm.

"You got that last bolt, well done. Grab the turret base here and help me lift it out of the socket. We'll have to be careful not to pull too hard or we'll dislodge the wiring connections. Ready, one..two..three," Airen commanded as he and Artie worked on lifting the turret up and out of its mount.

Artie had to concentrate as he helped pull up the turret and he was already beginning to struggle with the weight. So it wasn't a technical malfunction…

"Virus? What….virus?" Artie managed to get out. "And rumours of spies? What the hell?"

Why did people have to spread such rumours and even do such things as release a virus?

"You said it," Airen grunted as they set the turret in front of its housing on the cockpit roof in the direction of the pilot's seat. He disconnected the wiring harness and the wires, bound together at two foot intervals in wrapping, came out with the turret resting lazily inside the hole right above where the gunner typically sat. They dangled harmlessly.

Airen frowned as he ran a gloved hand around the durasteel ring that formed part of the turret housing. "Sabotage, Artie. Sabotage. It's the name of the game in war. Both sides want to win. Well, in the Empire's case they just want to subjugate. I'm not sure what victory means to them, any longer. We have a leak on this ship. So I hear. I don't know much about that kind of thing. I just keep my head down and turn my spanner."

Airen returned his attention to the hole where the turret once was. "There's no seal here. It's a miracle both pilots didn't die from venting oxygen into the void. We'll need to replace the seal as well as get this heavy scoring from all the battles this thing has been in off the inside rim here. Use this tool and scrub as hard as you can. The scoring should start to flake off. Don't worry about making a mess in the cockpit, I'll clean that up later."

Airen handed Artie what amounted to a nail brush. Some good old sweat equity was about to be had here.

Artie was already breathing hard and red in the face from getting the bolts off and then handling the turret. Now there was going to be scrubbing involved. To let some of the heat out of his flight suit he unzipped his jumpsuit a little. This revealed a couple of scars on his chest area, nothing could be done about those due to the fact he didn't get near a bacta tank until after Son Tay.

As he started scrubbing he was about to ask why someone would do that but then thought that was a stupid question to ask.

"So do you think this is all linked? The sabotage and the fact there is a leak? Could someone have decided to do this as maybe revenge?"

Airen remained fixated on the turret. He began to clean the gun barrels to remove any scoring there before proceeding to double check the wiring to make sure there weren't any frayed ends or splits starting to show in the casing.

"Artie," Airen paused as he looked the younger man in the eyes, "if there's one thing I've learned about the Intrepid it's that everything is linked. Nobody goes to the bathroom on this ship without someone finding out. I mean the Intrepid is ex-Imperial. I'm ex-Imperial. The way that government gets on your mind its....evil. You see anything weird, out of the ordinary, you make sure to report it to your superior officer. In this case it's Lou."

Artie continued scrubbing, sweat nearly pouring off him but he stopped as Airen looked at him.

Lou was his boss, got it. And he knew about the Empire being evil, he had the scars to prove it. But the way Airen was talking, it worried him a bit that he would be constantly watched whilst aboard.

"Got it" he simply said "but the way you talk about us being watched whilst we are aboard. I know we have to look out for spies and traitors but…it just feels weird that we are being constantly watched. I thought the Empire did all that".

He sighed "I just hope this gets all sorted soon. I would like to meet the others of the squadron and maybe in not so suspicious times".

"The Empire does do all that. I think there's enough people around here, however, that are either ex-Imperial or were from partisan groups that fought the Empire or were subjugated by them that the tension is pretty high. Look, I don't think there's going to be a problem. Be yourself, settle in, make a few friends, you'll be fine. Tensions are just running amok as the sabotaging is coming out in full force, two people were shot and wounded in the hangar recently, and this darn virus is making life hell for all of us who make our living with our hands," Airen replied.

Airen finished cleaning the gun barrels. He nodded in approval as Artie finished up cleaning the carbon scoring. He reached nearby for the replacement seal and began to install it along the inner ring of the turret. When that was done he wiped his hands and shook his head, "I never thought I'd be doing what I'm doing now. Come on, Artie, help me get this turret back into the housing and we'll tighten those bolts."

The two men, in reverse order, reconnected the wiring harness to the appropriate cable and slowly moved the turret back into its housing.

"Let's finish this thing up," Airen said, "and then if the hangar doors open up I'll go buy you a drink. We have a new droid who is quite the personality. Its drink abilities are second to none and its taste of music is real good."

Artie helped Airen with his work, moving the turret back making his arms wobble due to the heaviness and his aching muscles.

"I hope I make some friends here, I know Lou already so it's a good start" he chuckled. "I've always been socially awkward when I meet new people, I've been like that since I was a kid. But hopefully the others won't mind, especially since I may come out with things that sound awkward".

He gathered the bolts up he had taken out earlier "A drink sounds good but I'm not an alcoholic drinker, I know it's boring right? But I got drunk once at my aunt's wedding and after that I thought never again. So hopefully he has soft drink options. But he sounds interesting and I do like a bit of music".

He smiled "But it would be nice to be more social with people, including you. You seem like a nice guy, from the short time I've known you".

Airen laughed and shook his head, "You're all right in my book, Artie. You've got a good heart and an even better head on your shoulders. I think you'll fit in just fine around here."

The work was done.

Artie smiled as the work was finished "Thanks Airen" he sniffed himself again "I hope the hangar opens soon, I really need a shower…"

TAG: @Vehn , Anyone

19. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    IC: R2-MA16 "Digger,"
    Intrepid hull, debris field

Digger transmitted the information from the clandestine comms array back to his pilot, and waited to hear what she wanted him to do. She’d certainly want to know more about it. Calmly, he unclamped the device from the tull, tipping it to look at the internal components. There were several conduits leading back in to the ship, two supplying power, and one which was a data transmission port, a hard wire to carry information along a secure line. An old ISB station built into the carrier?

He carefully inserted a small tool on to one of his internal probes, configured it, and gently pressed it into the juncture where it met the device. Perhaps he could pick up anything being transmitted? What he got back, however, was a countdown. Fourteen…thirteen…twelve… That was ominous. Perhaps the memory would wipe itself? And his pilot would never have a shot at learning who the mole was.

…eight…seven…

Digger transmitted his own number. One thousand, two hundred…one thousand, one hundred and ninety-nine…one thousand, one hundred and ninety-eight…

While the device stuttered through the new and conflicting information, he carefully severed the two power conduits, and did a scan of the device. There was something among the circuits, and the usual… he removed the internal cover and chirped in alarm. An explosive!? Not large, but it would damage him! It was wired into the memory circuitry. No, that would not do.

He removed the hardwired comms cord, continuing to transmit his own countdown

One thousand, one hundred and twenty-three…one thousand, one hundred and twenty-two…one thousand, one hundred and…

He began to pull the explosive component out, but of course it was welded securely to the device casing. So frustrating. Instead, he carefully used the small laser cutter to cut the connection to the command circuitry, isolating the explosive from the rest of the case. Then, he cut around the explosive casing, isolating and removing it. To be safe, he used an extension arm to fling it away from the ship into space, just in case there was an internal switch to set it off. The rest of the comms array he carefully reassembled, shutting down everything. The memory core seemed to be intact. He placed a data extractor cylinder into the data conduit opening and set it to run.

He chirped to the others. He needed to deliver this to his pilot, and then he would return to help them complete the repairs.

TAG: @Vehn, Anyone else

TheAdmiral, Sinrebirth , Vehn and 3 others like this.
  20. Sgt.Matt

May 12, 2018
    Intrepid Bridge

Zero pulled the electronic lever that controlled the Intrepid's bridge door, metal gears clanked as the sealed door shuddered open, much to the slicer's impatient foot-tapping. He hopped through with his toolkit and datapad, before the door closed with a quick, loud clang; the youth took in the sight of the bridge itself. It was a massive room with windows overseeing the black void, computer arrays were everywhere and below, Zero wiped his sweaty brow at the sight of it. Cracking his knuckles, the slicer took the nearest computer that stood before him; a elongated digital board with various screens and ports for connecting ship datapads. Dibs on the Captains computer, hope he doesn't mind me hacking into the main nerve in this bridges system.

Opening his kit and connecting his datapad to the massive computer board by one of its tinier connector ports, Zero also dugout his satellite tool and attached it as well. "Okay then, let's override those weapons systems shall we?" Zero mumbled, he then clicked on a select code into his datapad, before bearing witness to the internals of the Intrepid's main bridge computer. In place of the virus's former screaming that could peel ones ears, the slicer was surprised to find that the red infection was now a droning purple. His pad shuddered as he saw the screen he connected to made a monotone noise, almost akin to a angered reek. "Seems like you wised up to me eh? Let's check what you have for me then..."

Clicking in his satellite tool, Zero bored through the newfound purple sea as his ears were bombarded with the droning electronic growl; it's pitch raised at every glancing second. Though, the sudden ease at which he was burrowing into the virus infected pages was concerning, the previous incarnation at least gave him some challenge at hand. This shouldn't be this easy, last time drilling had me sweating bullets, somethings up The slicer shook his head at the matter, the purple virus seemed to have the same corroding effect as before if not improved by the last period.

Then as he passed by several systems monitoring shields, he struck a wall that was a lighter shade of purple accompanied by a painful digital screech.

"SWEET HUTTLETS!" Zero exclaimed in shock as his datapad shuddered as did the long bridge computer; his satellite tool started to spin as the digital screeching pitched. To the slicer's shock, his boring tool was halted by an array of ship protection locks, six-walled security capable of giving frak to most lowly hackers in the regular circuit.

But unlike most locks, these ones were corroded and changed from their regular blue hue to that of a light purple; lettering was glitched while the locks were all bunching the screen in a shield formation. Frak! This is not the norm for viruses, this little bugger has blocked me from the weapons control and infected it's protection Zero clacked a set code for his satellite tool to cool it's overdrive, not wanting it to short-circuit against the newly encountered virus-wall.

Zero then dug into his toolkit, digging around for the proper tool that wouldn't compromise his comrades security and the weapons itself; his mind was focused on keeping this clean and safe. Albeit clean and safe on a timer, the weapons could activate at any moment, his hands furiously pilfered past various objects in search of his secret weapons. My former cure code can't clear security and my drill will fry itself trying to plow past one security encryption, I need some real heavy power to reach the weapons access in time for override....or else we accidentally gain attention.

TAG: @Vehn , @Mistress_Renata , @Sarge , @AgentViper007 , and anyone else by the bridge...

TheAdmiral, Sinrebirth , Vehn and 4 others like this.
  21. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Maxime “Max” Pallas
    Black Sheep Nerve Center

She was working on her datapad. Pulling up the ship’s access input sent some sketchy responses, and it seemed the virus had possibly spread to the Intrepid as a whole. Max sighed, wondering how that had happened. She was tempted to go in and take a look, but Zero was assigned to it, and while she had her doubts about him, she had bigger porgs to fry.

She was rooting around in old files, backtracking over all her earlier data and investigations on her ‘clean’ pad, looking for what she’d gleaned for the Naboo mission. Wallings had been so vague that she’d gone crazy, trying to learn more about the wedding so they didn’t go in entirely blind. She found something that Kayn had sent her, a passenger manifest of some sort, when her comm buzzed.

“H..help…me…” Max frowned. It was on the squadron comms channel, and it was Khairn’s voice. Now what?

“Boss? What’s up? Where are you?” There was no response. She glanced across at Hollymander, who looked equally puzzled. Vermilion had disappeared somewhere, leaving the other two to try to backtrack over the records of the Naboo mission. Hollymander didn’t actually have more than Max, which was a disappointment. Max commed Husk, who was, as far as she knew, still the acting squadron leader.

“Captain? Did you get that? Some kind of distress call from Commader Khairn. He hasn’t been in Sheep Territory lately; I don’t know where he would be. I’m headed out to try to find him.” She glanced at Hollymander. “I’ll try his quarters; can you check the medical bay? If I don’t find him in quarters, I’ll try the hangar. He’s not here or in the ready room, we already know that.”

She headed out the door, flicking her commlink again. “Commander? Where are you? I’m on my way.” He might be a pain in the exhaust port, but...she was still his wingmate.

TAG: @Vehn, @Adalia-Durron, @adaml83

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  22. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    IC Meanstreak, Veteran, Mermaid, Kid and Vixen!
    There's supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom! :p

Awesome joint with @Sarge, @Mira Grau , @galactic-vagabond422

Amber was tense, with Ethan following her lead she felt the pressure of her responsibility and tasks. Trying to tune out the actions of Mean Streak and Mermaid, she had to focus on her target. “Accelerating Vet, stay close.” She could see the engines of the two cruisers before them and that was all she needed to focus on. They’d been identified and the TIE’s attacking so she needed to nullify these base cruisers, and give the TIE’s no where to go. Accelerating had gotten them closer to the second ship, and it was moving like it was expecting her attack. “We got four more each, one each for the cruisers. We let one go each time, copy Vet?”

“Copy Vixen.” Ethan was the more experienced pilot but he’d just seen what she could do, and he’d worked in the past with Force users, so had no intention of questioning these orders. “On your mark.”

Amber was already starting to focus, her headache still there but she was looking past it as she saw the engines of the next ship. They were approaching at speed and she opened her comm, “going …..now!” She let go her single torpedo.

Ethan was only a second behind her as he let a single missile go using his guidance system but knowing Amber was going to be more precise.

Once again she could ‘feel’ the heat, the energy of the two torps and then the heat of the engine before them. Urging the heated objects toward each other, urging them to unite into one. Seconds later, they collided with the engines, the explosion wasn’t as big as the first one, as it had contained more fire power, but it was still a direct hit. Flame bloomed out as the two craft veered away toward the third craft, which had already figured out their strategy and was diving to avoid the predicted attack.

“Stay with them!” Ethan ordered, “dive Vixen!”

Amber had been coming back to the battle having delved into her own mind for the use of her abilities when Ethan’s voice snapped her awake. “Diving, take the lead.” She needed to breathe, needed to rest, but couldn’t, “I see it.”

Not giving her a chance to recover, Ethan was roaring his engines toward the third diving target. “Vixen, you with me?” He glanced over his shoulder then at his screen, he did not mean physically.

Still breathing heavily, Amber was blinking her eyes to find focus on her screens, but it was a blur, “yes, I’m here.” Her voice shaky in response. “Almost.” Her vision returning as the target loomed. “Tell me when.”

He didn’t like what he was hearing but it was too late, they were in too deep to stop now. “One my mark, get your droid to target.” His voice firm.

“Droid….right.” Amber was struggling, she’d never had to focus on her skills this hard and this long, it hurt. “Squirt….do what he said.” Behind her the droid warbled a response and it told her he was already on it. “Done Vet.” She told him as she watched the cruisers engines grow larger in her viewport. “Tell me when.”

Ethan gave his head a shake, “tell her droid to fire at the same time we do, I don’t think she’s doing well.” He said to this droid, getting quick ‘affirmative’ reaction.

Amber seemed to see her screens and was now wondering why she was here, what was she doing again? Oh, yeah, I need to make them go the right way. Looking forward she waited, having totally forgotten she was supposed to fire, thankfully Ethan was on it and soon Squirt did so. Amber gritted her teeth, it was harder, almost too hard to do so. She could see the torpedoes, see the target but she could feel the sweat, “I can’t.” She breathed, the comm was closed so no one heard her. “Come on Amber, you have to do this.” Once again she tried to find them and succeeded this time, finding them and with extreme effort and gritted teeth, guided them to the target.

Ethan sighed in relief as the engines, for the third time, exploded. “Well done Vixen, one more, you with me?”

Amber felt as if she was about to throw up, her head was blinding her, she was unable to focus on anything as her head dropped back to her seat as perspiration ran down her face. “I can’t” She breathed, her eyes welling with tears, “I’m done.” Seconds later she passed out.

“Vixen?” He questioned, “answer me.” Nothing, she was silent and he was now starting to worry, “VIXEN!??” Still nothing, then his droid whistled. “She’s what? Dammit!! Tell Squirt to take over, get her out of here.” He moved the open comm, “Mean Streak, Vixen’s down, and out, one more to go but her droids getting her out of here, I need help to take the last one down. Please advise!” He began to head to the last target alone, seeing her ship wink out into hyper.

Hearing Kid's voice on the comms made Kayn wonder if he really had flipped. His head spun again as she continued to speak. "Zero, I still have that card you gave me."

"No, it's me, Kayn, Mean Streak, I'm borrowing Zara's ship, mine is down, and Zara is... not flying."
    He shook his head and stopped babbling. Focus. "Welcome back, big hugs, now cripple another cruiser. We'll try to keep the TIEs off you."

“Mean Streak, Vixen’s down, and out, one more to go and her droids getting her out of here, I need help to take the last one down. Please advise!”

"Vet, cover Kid while she scores the winning goal. We're almost done here, as soon as the corvettes move clear and jump we can follow right behind them. No point in fighting these losers to the death."

The two flights of TIEs had finally organized into one formation and were positioning for a strafing run on the corvettes. Mermaid was rejoining on his wing. "Mermaid, stick with me, we'll make a spoiler attack on them."
    He turned toward the oncoming TIEs, leading the A-wings clear of the corvettes' flak zones and into their attackers' path, forcing them to alter course and spoiling their coordinated assault. Kayn had finally gotten the lasers switched to maximum cyclic firing rate, he sprayed the formation liberally as Mermaid took an aimed shot and clipped an Imp. Return fire was heavy and Kayn barely managed to reinforce the forward shields in time.

"Oh, hey Meanie" Ianna quickly corrected herself, shifting her shields to better protect herself. "I hope Zara's ok...is she ok?" There was a mournful look on the young woman's face as Vixen, her best friend, left the fight. She was sure that it was necessary but, she wanted to fight side by side with her, and sad for that loss. However there would be time for that later right now she had to deal with the final cruiser. Vet was given orders to cover her and once again she put her trust in him.

"We've got this Vet." There was a happy little wiggle in her fighter and herself as she settled into her next attack run. It'd been too long since she'd been in this cockpit, been in a real fight. It had been a long road back to flying, lots of tests and lots of run in the sim to make sure she was fit to fly again. It was rough, but she made it through, now she was here helping for friends.

She readied her torps diving down sticking directly behind the cruiser trying to limit the fire coming in at her. There was still some but far less than would be coming at her if she'd gone heads up with it. Her mind was on nothing else, her friend was protecting her from TIEs and would warn her if one got close. Her heart swelled again, her friends, it'd been so long since she had that thought, and now they were here, all together.

Her torps locked on and she released letting them streak towards the last remaining vessel. They struck true, hopefully enough to convince the Imps to leave the system, she did not have the ordinance to keep this fight going. Though she was going to try.

Ethan sent a quick prayer of thanks to the goddess as he heard Ianna's voice and in that moment he felt at least ten years younger. Ianna was okay, she was back. It made him smile, it might even have made him laugh so happy was he. The old pessimist inside of him had already more or less accepted that Ianna was gone, that in the end she was another name in the long list of squad mates he had lost across his life. But he had been wrong and he was beyond happy to having been wrong. In that moment even his new worries for Amber faded, Ianna had made it, Amber would too, as always.

With new confidence he took aim with his last torpedoes ready to blast the final remaining Imperial vessel to bits. "Good to have you back Kid," he said as fired them at the target.

TAG @Vehn Anyone else who wants to know what happened!!

23. Sgt.Matt

May 12, 2018
    A Shot in The Dark

Zero almost felt like shooting himself after seeing it at the bottom of his toolkit, picking up the long grey cylinder that had gathered mothballs for several years.

He remembered using it with her back in the day, back when times were more happier, if only they ended happy as well. Zero picked up the long since ignored code cylinder from the toolkit, the device was venerable and downright ancient, the tool was a old "Civil War" model that the Republics former clone armies would carry. Yet, unlike those that only carried intel or rare passwords, Zero had stashed in something that was very lethal to ship systems if not properly coded and implemented. The slicer shuddered as he remembered his first and only failure coding the thing inside the cylinder, he could remember the screeching of dying computers on the walls of a Imperial bank.

"But now is not the time for regrets or bad memories, I need you once more to bypass and allow me into the viral weapons systems" Zero then took off his satellite tool on his datapad, before swapping it with the cylinder. His eyes glared at the droning purple infected computer, it's corroded protection beaming at him mockingly. "Let's rock..."

Upon turning the cylinder tight in his datapad socket, a small silvery node appeared on his screen and he opened it; a textbox appeared before him that read as clearly:

{PLEASE IMPLEMENT PASSCODE FOR TOTAL CLOSE AND REBOOT!}

Maxine, Kayn, Anyone else onboard....be ready for some slight turbulence and blackouts, Zero then began to press a series of codes into the node with focused speed; his mind remembered the beats like always. Inside the cylinder was a unstable but effective, security shut-down switch that could cut-off computer defenses for one hour; slicers barely used the switch tool as it tended to also have the nasty habit of shutting off ships for five seconds or...permanently. That paled in comparison to regular terminals though, heck, even droids could be lobotomized by one foul mistake on his part. But I have no time for mistakes, this must work, I must do it for them. After the fifth and six passcode implemented on the textbox, Zero had one more, he paused for a second.

Until he then shook his sweating head, and clicked on his digital keyboard.

"Okay implementing code 1997.B13889.000." Zero punched in the last digits as the textbox disappeared, before his screen shuddered violently, then it faded to black in a flash. Maderas dreaded the next portion, as he heard all the computers shudder in perfection cohesion and screens started to individually shut off one by one, including the captains computer he was connected to as well.

Intrepid then blacked out itself, lights blacked out around him and a faint rumbling shook below him.

For a few minutes, Zero could only hear himself breath as the quiet spooked him and he pondered death taking him before.....

The lights flashed on, followed by the choir of rebooting computers still droning with the virus; Zero Maderas gazed at the sight as if he saw the Force in person and it invited him for a drink. "Great Gods!" Zero's datapad then flickered back on with a slight shade of purple, he was still connected to the same page with one small difference. "That blasted security wall is gone!"

Before him laid a corroded screen that controlled the weapons systems, now devoid of the once protective security wall, the latter now shut-off temporarily for a single hour. That hour was all Zero needed to devise a plan to override the system, if only he knew how the rebels coded the system that is....

TAG: @Vehn , and anyone else who wants to react to this risky move (Virus Creator Included!)

24. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Lieutenant Louise "Lou" Vehn/Laylee Wyrock AKA "Bones"/Akiva Lurell/Lawrence "Law" Clark
    Dreadnaught Scimitar

As the engines had come to life, Wyrock had sucked deeply on her nic stick, blowing out a ring of smoke. She tapped a few dials and gauges to be sure that the beast was rousing from its slumber before she felt satisfied that it was truly beginning to work as it should. The three orbs she’d let loose gathered close, settling on her artificial forearm, chirping and tweeting.

The creeping worry about the starweird returning had faded as she worked and the scrubbers in the engine bay had filtered out most of what she figured was some weird incense that Akiva had been using earlier so the air was clearer. Which was when the intercom crackled and she heard the voice of the pilot, asking them to join her on the bridge.

Closing her teeth on the nic stick, ”What in the Nine Hells do I know about running a capital ship?” she muttered fiercely. Packing up her tools in the still mangled backpack, she hefted it over one shoulder before she looked over at her companion. ”Hey Lobo…do you know how to fly one of these things? Hope one of us does or this will be a very short, very loud and painful flight.” she called out before tilting her cap back slightly, picking up her wrench, and heading for the exit of the engine compartment.

Once the engines came back to life Akiva breathed for what felt like the first time since this mission had gone sideways. Seeing the incense that had grown heavy and thick in the air from how long they had been working begin to be circulated and drawn out was a welcome sight. Now they just needed to get the ship moving before that thing returned and they would be fine. Probably should dip a gravity well just to be safe, but they were on their way. . .

Why weren't the engines showing drive output? Was something still broken? Then the comm crackled and they were summoned. If she didn't know how to fly a capital ship why had she gone to the bridge? Shaking her head she brushed the notion away as she gathered her tools in a bundle of her ruined back and used a synth rope to tie it into a secure bundle while Wyrock showed just how stressful this whole thing had been by calling her someone else's name. "Akiva or Wolf." she firmly replied as she followed after her. "I know how to fly some capital ships, no idea if this is laid out or as intuitive as what I know." Hopefully this would be laid out like any of the Rebel or Imp capital ships she had taken goggle courses on in the event of being a sole survivor or needing to steal to escape lessons.

Lou felt a sense of relief as Wyrock and Akiva appeared on the bridge. The bridge doors sealed shut behind them.

"Bridge secure," Clark stated after checking out a few of the side corridors that shot out from the main command center.

Lou waved Akiva over and said, "You familiar with any of these systems? This is borderline ancient tech to me. I have no idea why they gave me this mission. Hardly my area of expertise."

Lou paused and glanced over in Wyrock's direction. "How about you take a good hard look at our hyperdrive capabilities. I don't want to be caught out here flat footed."

Wyrock was still chuckling at Akiva’s response to the nickname she’d given her, ’Lobo is Wolf, Wolf is Lobo, makes sense to me.’ she thought to herself as they entered the bridge.

The doors shutting and locking behind them made her look back over her shoulder at the hatch, snorting at the seeming necessity of it. Then again…she shrugged…better that the flygirl leading this venture not have to get up and fight, be able to help her and…Shaggy…nah, wouldn’t work…Wolf be able to steer this beast.

At the question the three orbs lifted off, drifting over several consoles before hovering over one as they whistled to her. She turned to Lou, ”Well…pretty gal…” she drawled as she reached into her pack, pulling out something wrapped in a handkerchief. ”...unless homebase has a spare of one of these it’ll be a short trip.” she said, unwrapping the handkerchief to expose a detachable part of the hyperdrive rent almost in half by three claw marks.

She nodded over at the console, ”Huey, Dewey, and Louie say that there’s enough left to the hyperdrive for one jump but without this…” she lifted the damaged part, ”...installed we’ll need a whole new hyperdrive after that jump. Big, big, shaking thump after the jump. Like make you bounce out of the seat and smack your pretty head on the ceiling sized thump.” she said, grinning as though the thought of that was humorous to her.

Turning then, she wandered over to join her three hovering droids.

Akiva stood there, shaking her head as she dropped her bag of tools on the deck. This was just - it was, oh she needed a vacation from this war! Muttering some colorful dialogue in her native tongue she paced the bridge, looking at the different consoles. Some things luckily didn't change that much, this ship didn't predate the Republic and the Empire was the mutated monster of that Republic. So some things had carried over for simplicities sake.

"Maybe." she said with a shrug. Pointing with her hands she indicated four different consoles, and then shifted two arms to two others. "Things are spread out for more manpower to make it go. I can maybe console hop to get this thing going and plot a jump, but unless you can transfer multiple controls and you two make yourselves useful-" she shrugged fluidly all four shoulders, "I'm not a hundred percent I can time it to all work properly. Only thing working for us is that space is pretty empty."

Lou slid into one of the four consoles. She examined the powered up display in front of her and began to study the readout. It wasn't very clear what this particular station was assigned to do. It had data on shields, navigation, and the current status of the ship's engines. Any accessing of the sub routines was off limits. An idea came to her. Something she read from long ago.

"Weren't these old dreadnaughts slave run? I mean a master console and the automated systems flowed from that? They weren't supposed to be crewed as heavily as other ships from what I remembered. Something about making the design more versatile. Shouldn't there be a master console nearby?"

Wyrock shrugged when the crazy pilot all but ignored what she’d found. She had her own supplies, what were left of them, tucked away in her toolbox that would help if things went nuts. And then she’d just wait as she figured that the city boy wouldn’t let his crew chief be stuck in the void.

She tucked the part back in the bag then walked over to the console that her droids were hovering over. Pulling it from one thigh pouch, she tapped a series of commands on her datapad causing one of the droids to zip around the bridge. After a few moments, it hovered by one of them close to Lou, whistling at Wyrock. Without looking up from the console she was at, monitoring the engine specs she lifted her robotic arm, one finger pointing at the console, ”That one seems the most likely suspect, crazy lady.” she said.

"Right," Lou said still not sure how to respond to Wyrock. Clearly busting rear wasn't going to work. She figured that charming her way to Wyrock wasn't going to work either. Maybe bribery? A fresh pack of nic sticks? Some unique flavor? A rare bottle of alcohol? A new spanner?

"Let's see here," Lou said as the found the right console only after Wyrock had pointed it out to her. Lou felt like she was really living up to her butter bars. Or playing down. She wasn't sure which at this point.

Lou hit a button on the console and the bridge lights came to life. She hit another button and the blast doors opened and remained that way. That startled the Marines who immediately raised their weapons to cover the Sheep's six. She studied the console a bit more and realized that navigation was controlled separately but shield power, weapons, and broader ship commands flowed he way. So maybe not everything ran through one console but enough of the systems could with a little help.

"Doing a hyper jump at this point isn't going to work," Lou said, "but I'd like to take her out for a spin. Wyrock, you think she can handle the strain? Akiva, I think that one over there is navigation if this display on my end looks correct. I could use your help steering this baby back to the Intrepid."

Akiva went to a chair one console over that apparently, they wouldn't need and tied down her tool bag. Then heading over to the indicated console she gave it a once over. "I would like to protest. There is a ghost in the area that damaged the hyperdrive, I don't personally care how hard we will all be shaken we need to get to a planetary body - yesterday."

While talking she began spooling up the ships engines and getting them under motion. "Intrepid could meet us there and get out of this relic site, hopefully get a repair crew and make this ship serviceable wherever there is." Already she was running a navigation system ping to see how old the systems star charts were. "Just need to update the nav computer, and we should be clear." she added in a softer tone as she was mentally trying to run the best way to a friendly planetary body.

Taking off her hat, jamming it into a cargo pocket of her pants, Wyrock rummaged around in her bent tool bag for a few moments, finally pulling out a battered helmet with an enlarged ring around the neck. Putting out the nic stick, tossing it in the bag, she jammed the helmet on her head, pressed a stud, the ring seemed to melt and flow, down her torso and then to her extremities. When it had covered her completely, the vocorder sounded, ”Okay, I’m set, but you’re both crazy. Closest planet is there. And no hyperjump necessary…” she said, pointing to the planet beyond the breaker’s yard. ”But yeah, let’s jump somewhere that the Intrepid and that other ship don’t know…”

Lou sighed. She was beginning to regret Wyrock coming along for this little adventure. Sure, she knew her stuff, Lou could give her that much. The attitude was a killjoy. Despite all that Lou recognized that Wyrock was one of the more knowledgeable mechanics. In a pinch, and this was certainly a pinch, she was going to come in handy. Game, after all, recognized game. Lou was no piece of cake herself. She'd been through a bunch.

Wyrock had her uses.

"Let's stay off the hyperdrive for now," Lou said giving a nod in Wyrock's direction, "let's instead focus on getting the engines right and moving beyond the debris field. Akiva, you're on navigation. Ease us outta here and let's take the Scimitar for a stroll."

Lou hoped the shields would hold as she heard bits of metal clinging and clanging off the deck. This ship hadn't operated in who knew how long and it was anyone's guess if she could hold it all together as she maneuvered through the debris field.

"Watch out for that drydock," Lou pointed out.

Wyrock grunted at Lou’s comment, letting Akiva steer the ship if she was the one doing so. Her attention was focused on the Engineering panel that her droids had brought her to. She’d opened the visor of the helmet she had on, the smoke from her puffing on her nic stick was rising into the air like an angry cloud, as she went from readout to readout, occasionally punching a command into the computer to bring one part or another under the redline again. This was an old beast and, even with her fixes, they’d need some very good large ship engine monkeys once they got back to the Intrepid to go over everything and find out what needed to be replaced or repaired better.

Which reminded her…she pulled her datapad out of her thigh pocket. Quickly, she sent off a message to Feral, so he knew there was a ship coming out of the breaker’s yard and that she as well as the others were aboard. He was out there somewhere, had said something about testing out the Defender they’d taken, with his girlfriend. She hoped that, with the information she sent him, if this thing cracked apart he’d still know where to find her. The message sent she let out a curse that colored the air around her, quickly tapping the panel and then sighing as the engines temperature gauges slipped back under the redline.

Growling softly Akiva settled into the seat, her four arms dancing over the controls. She scouted out the field of debri and plotted a course. . .and then scrapped it as she remembered to reference the actual size of this thing. Not surprisingly it was larger than a B-wing, go figure. Scrapping the one plan she set about preplanning a path.

After looking at the debris and spinning the field on the display she settled on a course out of it. "Alright, it won't be perfectly clear. If we have shields use them, otherwise keep it locked up and close blast screens. . .here we go." she added with a heavy sigh as she set the engines to begin a slow but steady push on her pre-planned vectored.

The Scimitar groaned as its engines helped propel the aging dreadnaught out of the debris field. The vibrations through the deck made Lou a bit nervous. A big ship like this was supposed to feel smooth. Like floating on a quiet lake. This experience, however, was completely different. She couldn't help but grip her seat as the dreadnaught gained speed. The aging sensors pinged away at the debris field identifying countless other wrecks and floating pieces of junk. If anyone was observing them, or simply tracking them, they were not doing anything to hide their presence.

"Push the engines, Wyrock," Lou ordered as the Scimitar cleared the debris field, "we need to know if she can handle combat operations."

Two massive keels loomed before them forming one perimeter of the debris field. The Scimitar was headed right toward them. They were closing fast. Lou squirmed a little in her seat.

"Akiva, start plotting evasive maneuvers. Let's see if she can still accept a good shakedown," Lou added.

”On it. Hang on, going to need to…” Wyrock muttered. A short period of back and forth went on between her and the three orbs, before they darted toward the other, unoccupied consoles.

When the droids were in position, they tied in to the consoles, beeping at her, ”Going to take offline all systems except grav, life support here, and the engines so I can keep them going.” she told Lou as the creaking and groaning of the old ship increased.

”And, there we go! This should be….fun!” she said, taking hold of the console with her artificial hand as the engines poured out more power, the ship accelerating.

Akiva turned in her seat as Wyrock got to work with her droid balls and stared at Lou in disbelief. Shakedown cruise?!? This ship felt like it was going to shake apart and Lou wanted her to put it through it's paces? "Aye aye, captain." she gave a flimsy salute with one hand before turning around to her console.

As soon as Wyrock gave the all clear she slowly and carefully pulled out a pair of goggles and set her rebreather back into place. "Let's see if we fall apart." with that she began trying to put the ship through a convoluted corkscrew to end in a flip to turn the ship around and perform a turn and burn.

Tag: @darthbernael; @Mitth_Fisto (Was fun!)

25. darthbernael

darthbernael EU Community Mod, Fuego, Pyrofuego! star 5 Staff Member Manager

Apr 15, 2019
    OOC: A fun combo with TheAdmiral and Vehn

IC: Captain Finnefrael “Feral” Ordwgal, Sergeant Jocelyn "Joy" Sunwalker
    Near and around the Intrepid and Sanguinity

Delta One, Actual, uh, we’ve got a problem. Concussion missiles have launched in two salvoes against the Sanguinity. The virus has taken control of the launchers. We count at least twelve missiles on their way. Since you’re the only fighters flying out there we need your help taking them out. They are actively seeking targets so watch out. Good hunting, Actual out.”

The comm call from Intrepid Actual caught Feral slightly off guard. As he was listening Bones was chirping and had thrown the scanners display into his HUD display. In it, he could see the salvoes in flight. Without thought, his left hand reached out, flicking the ECM switch, making the Recon X all but invisible from sight and sensor. For all intents and purposes, he and his bird had become a hole in space. Which…didn’t help Joy. Intrepid Actual, Delta One, wilco.”

Switch to the freq that was just himself and Joy, ”Are any of the weapons systems active on that, Joy?” he asked as he used a feather touch on the controls to move as close to and slightly between her fighter and the missiles, to let the ECM field confuse the missiles sensors as to whether she was there or not. At the same time, he let two of the recon pods detach from his S foils and extend far enough out to the sides to use their passive sensors to keep a close eye on the flight paths of their targets.

Joy's eyes widened at the order. She keyed the TIE's computer to check if the weapons systems were online. They were. But will need a recharge soon. The last pilot must have used a lot of its resources and the crew of the Intrepid did not have time to recharge it. Nor was it needed, since they were supposed to only test if the hull can withstand the stress.

"Yes, they are." she gave a curt reply "Will have to make the shots count. It is almost dry." she grimaced "The ion cannons are in better shape, so I might try to disable the missiles." she added. "But you will have to do most of the fighting though."

Feral snorted, ”This is going to be…interesting then. Recon X’s only have our quadlasers, trade torpedo launchers for our recon pods.”

Bones beeped, letting him know that the droid now had solid locks on the flight paths of the missiles, letting Feral reel in the pods he’d deployed just for that task. Nodding to himself, he tapped on the targeting display, ”Then we work our way from those closest to the Sanguinity back to the second flight.”

‘Which means,”
    he tightened his flight harness, locking his helmet in place again, ”we’re going to have to test how much longer that Defender can stay together as we have to be fast.” With that, he pushed the power levers forward, soft movements of the controls bringing the nose and the targeting reticle onto the most distant missile, speeding up, watching the range counter, ready to fire the moment he would be sure of taking the missile out.

"Fun missions are always the interesting ones." Joy commented and chuckled "I think we will manage." she added. "Maybe use a pod as a decoy? Get at least some of the missiles to chase it?" she commed as she maneuvered the TIE. The weapon systems were fully online and the computer was looking for a target. They were still away from the missiles so they will have to be fast about the whole thing.

At Joy’s comm call Bones whistled and tweeted at Feral. One of the smaller displays lit up as information flowed from the droid. He glanced away from the targeting pip to look at the display before he chuckled. ”Didn’t expect to have to use one here or now, ah well…still a few left on the Intrepid.” he muttered.

Keying the main channel, Intrepid Actual, Delta One, on my mark have the Sanguinity cut power for a few moments, IFF as well. I’ve got a plan I hope works.”

Programming one of the decoys, the Sanguinity’s specs already loaded, he checked their IFF code again, making sure the decoy had the information loaded to it and then set it to receive a burst transmission before he launched it. They were small, almost imperceptible on sensors and he could barely see it, only knew it was there because it was tied to his fighter.

A few seconds passed as it raced through the intervening space and then ”Mark!” he cried out of the main comm, hitting the burst trans to the decoy at the same moment, he hoped, that the Sanguinity did as he’d asked. In that moment the decoy activated and suddenly was flying past the missiles, heading toward the outer edge of the system.

If she was not holding the stick she would have crossed her fingers. Jocelyn was biting her lower lip in anticipation. Hopefully this gambit will pay off and at least some of the missiles will change course, so that they could both deal with the remaining ones. "Come on, come on..." she whispered to herself "Take the bait..." if only verbal persuasion worked...

Thankfully, the Sanguinity did as Feral had requested, which worried him, even so, as the frigate drifted unpowered for a few long moments as the decoy raced past it. Holding his breath, his eyes flicked from the IFF display out of the cockpit and back, over and over. The held breath exploded out of him at the same moment that Bones tweetled at him.

Trying to keep a calm tone to his voice, he keyed the comm, again on the freq that both Joy and the Intrepid could hear, Intrepid Actual, Delta One, we suckered most of them. I count eight chasing the decoy. Wish us luck with the rest.”

Glancing over at Joy’s TIE he wondered what she’d think of what he had planned next. Turning to face front again, he boosted the power levers to the stops. His fighter leapt forward, racing toward the remaining four missiles. There was no rhyme or reason to which had taken the bait and the last four were spread across the distance as the frigate powered up again, slowly maneuvering away from the incoming destruction.

Bones whistled, long and shrill, as Feral brought the fighter up close to the furthest of the missiles, the distance counter winding down rapidly. It had to be his imagination but it almost felt as though he could feel the heat of its engine before he brought the targeting pip onto the tailpipe of the missile. In one fluid movement, he fired, the quadlasers firing as one, into the aft end of the device as he pulled back on the controls, maneuvering to escape the destruction ahead.

It was then that his datapad chimed but he had no time to check it as he rolled the Recon X, looping up and bringing the nose back down, aiming for the next missile in line, hoping Joy was having as good luck with the other two as he’d already managed with the first.

"Yes!" Joy exclaimed as she saw that they managed to confuse most missiles. There were far less targets to worry about, though the remaining missiles could still cause a lot of damage if they were not fast enough. She picked a target and pointed her craft towards it. The computer showed that there was one less as Feral got it. She grunted "I hope you are not including the number of destroyed targets into our bet." she teased him, though deep down she wished that he would. Either way she was going to wear that outfit, but decided not to tell him or that might get into his head or inflate his ego.

There was the first one. She was coming in on its side. A small stream of emerald shots flew, most missed, but one found the target and it blew up. On to the other one.

It was getting dangerously close to its target. Joy's lips pursed as she focused. She fired again, but missed, then the on-board computer beeped saying that there was a weapons malfunction. Only the ion cannons remained. Talk about serendipity. She had to be careful. Jocelyn pressed the trigger and a couple of bluish-white blasts flew. One missed of course, but the other one scored, but was not enough to fully disable.

She took another shot and this time it did the job! The systems of the missile fried and it lost guidance sending it safely away until it self detonated.

Feral snorted at the quip from Joy, ”Oh really? It was my decoy that got those missiles away from the frigate…” he teased in return. With another flick of his controls, he lined up the targeting pip, firing his lasers into the engine of the last remaining missile. He didn’t want to hit the warhead, an engine malfunction like that should engage the safety protocols and keep the warhead from igniting.

With the field cleared, he reduced power as he brought his fighter back up and alongside Joy’s. Keying the comm, Intrepid Actual, Delta One, the missiles have been accounted for and the Sanguinity is out of danger. RTB?”

“Actual here, return to base.”

”Wilco.” Feral glanced over at Joy, grinning suddenly. ”I won’t deny, I’m looking forward to getting back, and seeing you in that outfit.” he teased lightly, as he turned his Recon X back towards the Intrepid.

"And it was my idea." Jocelyn retorted "It is clear that I am the brains of this operation." she chuckled as she teased him. If only he could see her she would have poked her tongue out at him. Joy maneuvered her Defender towards Feral's recon X-wing. "Only in private." she added "And you will have to admit that we Imperial officers keep our word." her Coruscanti accent more prominent when she said the last part.

TAGS: @Vehn, @TheAdmiral, all others interested in the flight

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.