main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 Star Wars Celebration 2019 Hotels

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , May 16, 2018.

1. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I was able to make reservations at the Palmer House Hilton, not too expensive, I plan to do some research on the place in some spare time, it's gorgeous! and it is closer than the Best Western Hotel I had previously made reservations at. abt. 2 miles away compared to 3.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  2. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    Welcome aboard!

3. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Is anyone interested in sharing a room and/or looking for a room to share?

4. EnviousSerious-Rue

May 4, 2009
    I've stayed at the Palmer House for an Harry Potter Symposium in 2008. Presidents, dignitaries, etc., have resided there.
    Holds a lot of history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Palmer_House_Hilton

5. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Anybody else staying at the Hyatt Regency on Wacker?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I am. I have a single bed room, but if someone is looking to share a room then I am interested in that too.

darthvader88 likes this.
  7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Still looking into this hotel situation. There's a few hotels OnPeak that are currently available. But now I'm wondering even if I get a hotel at a cheaper rate if the transportation cost will still be having me pay roughly the same than what I'm currently booked for.

@star_wars_is_good: How far away are you staying?

@ChrisLyne: Are you sticking with your South Loop reservation or going with the Marriot?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    ChrisLyne likes this.
  8. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm at the Marriott Magnificent Mile about 3 miles north. I'm hoping for free shuttles, but if not, I think the L train is pretty cheap.

9. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I looked at that one on OnPeak and a couple of others at that same rate. For 5 nights it would only come out to a few hundred bucks less than what I'm booked for now at the South Loop, which is only a half mile away. At this point I'm thinking I might just stick with that. I know myself and when I get there I'll have wished I had just forked over that extra few hundred to be within walking distance, as opposed to not and then having to transport myself to and from. Didn't you say you were going with your parents (not to Celebration but just staying there)? Is that why you went with that hotel?

10. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, I'm splitting it with them and they're going to do Chicago stuff for the week. I went with it because the rate was good (just under $1000 after fees) and I couldn't get any closer for that cost. I think the L train is $2.50, so I'm good if I need to do that. For me, if I can save a few hundred bucks, that's more I can put towards Celebration stuff.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  11. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I gotcha. Yea, if I just knock off a couple of days, since my current reservation is for 7 nights, and only make it a 5 night stay, it would come out to about $1250 total, so really not that much more. I think I'll stick with that. I'll call them soon to modify the reservation and put my mind at ease. Those extra days at the start and finish were just fluff anyway. Anyways, just wanted to bounce that off someone. Thanks dude!

BTW, if anyone is interested, at the moment according to Hotels.com there are 2 rooms available from April 10 - 15 at the Hyatt Regency McCormick. It's pricey, but it's a connected hotel.

12. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I'm going with Marriott, even paying direct for 2 nights it works out slightly cheaper for us as we have 6 nights via OnPeak. Which reminds me, I have to cancel the South Loop reservation!

L train is $28 for a 7 day pass and goes to both airports. I'm definitely getting one as it's cheaper than a shuttle and includes the rest of my transport for the week.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  13. EnviousSerious-Rue

May 4, 2009
    If you don't me asking, what is the cost per night at the Hyatt Regency McCormick?
    Just curious.
    Thanks.

14. JonSB

JonSB Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 20, 2018
    Not the poster but it was about $350 per night when I originally reserved it directly thru Hyatt on those days April 10-15th. I saw a few days ago you could reserve it for about $470 per night thru a booking site and thru Hyatt directly you could get Sunday for ~$350 with Monday on for ~$220. All the above prices include the ~20% tax.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  15. JonSB

JonSB Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 20, 2018
    I was wondering if the 7 day pass is by time or days. If I arrive Wed at 3pm at O'Hare and leave Wed at 6 am would it be 7 days or 8?

16. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    The other night I think it was at $370 a night, and that didn't include taxes, so it'd probably amount to closer to $450 a night. Like I said, it's pricey, but just wanted to throw it out there when I saw it since I know connected hotels are a big deal to convention goers.

EnviousSerious-Rue and ChrisLyne like this.
  17. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    By time;

“Your pass activates the first time you use it and is good for the full length of time from that moment.”

darthvader88 likes this.
  18. darthjason127

darthjason127 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 11, 2017
    I am at this hotel as well. If there are days we all leave at same time, Ubers might be cheap with multiple people

darthvader88 likes this.
  19. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    That would be a good idea; ride to the convention together and split the cost of an uber...

20. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    The red line is cheaper.

21. darthjason127

darthjason127 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 11, 2017
    Agree but I dont plan on taking that with what I all have on me (on the way in I would just not on the way back)

darthvader88 likes this.
  22. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Aaaa, scored Hyatt Regency next to McCormick! I tried to see if there'd be rooms for only 2 days closer than the Hilton 30 min walk away I originally booked, because the friend I'm sharing with doesn't arrive until Friday. And it was available 10-15. 260/night, pricey but not as nearly $400 rooms that showed up when looked a few days ago, and just a bit more than the other hotel.
    Feels like Han Solo luck.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  23. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    That's great! Although if I were you, I'd call the hotel directly and confirm the booking, just in case. I've heard of people booking on third party websites, but when they arrive to the hotel they don't have a reservation for them. And there's literally nothing the hotel can do at that point. And then the people are left scrambling to find a hotel. So just double check with the hotel directly as soon as possible.

I don't mean to cast doubt on your reservation, but that price seems to me seems like you ought to double check. I haven't seen that hotel go for anything less that 300-350 per night not including the additional fees. So just double check and make sure.

darthvader88 likes this.
  24. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    What site did you book through?

25. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Hyatt's website directly. Didn't see it through booking.com, that only showed 395 rooms.

Thanks so much for the tip! They confirmed, phew. At first there was only robo-voice, so I mildly panicked and called again and waited to speak with the front desk (hope this doesn't make me an awful droid discriminator). It's in order. The receptionist said they had several cancellations over the weekend, and that some of the price total may have been equalized (370 for the first night, 170 for the last night).

So due to mentioned "several cancellations" there may be more rooms opened up at the Hyatt. I only see 375 and 395 options now, but it may be worth to keep checking if anyone is interested in a room there.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019