main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 Star Wars Celebration 2019 Hotels

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , May 16, 2018.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Good to hear! Just looking out.

2. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Assuming the next US Celebration is held in either Orlando or Anaheim, I am probably gonna go ahead and book a hotel outside the convention block...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I had a hotel book in Anaheim before they announced it was Chicago. I got the right weekend, but the wrong city!

darthvader88 likes this.
  4. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    Do they announce the location on the last day?

5. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    They didn't last time.

6. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    They did for a while, but I think the last one they did that for was when the announced London in Anaheim's closing ceremony. Orlando was announced and on sale before London started so there was nothing to announce in London. Then in Orlando they just announced 2019 without a location.

I just booked the Anaheim hotel because in 2015 it was said that they were planning on alternating US celebrations between Anaheim and Orlando, and this seemed to still be the case after Orlando. Plus it was cancel without fee so I had nothing to lose.

darthvader88 likes this.
  7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Since I've never been to Chicago I felt that I wanted a connected hotel. By now with Anaheim and Orlando you know that there are quite a lot of hotels on fairly easy walking distance so I wouldn't be in the same panic mode if I didn't get the hotel I wanted there.

darthvader88 and ChrisLyne like this.
  8. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I was amazed at how few hotels there are surrounding McCormick.

As far as Orlando and Anaheim go, within one mile in almost every direction there are plenty of hotels to choose from. So it really isn't a big concern.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    ChrisLyne and darthvader88 like this.
  9. darthjason127

darthjason127 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 11, 2017
    Staying on / near Michigan Ave (the hotels that are roughly 3 miles away) is really not that bad
    While is is not super close to the convention you are in the heart of the City. Tons of shops, places to eat, super close to the lake and also Mil Park and Navy Pier
    Hopefully the April weather is decent. Can be 30s or 70s. Flip a coin. A great city though with plenty to do

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  10. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I guess if your doing other Chicago stuff it will prove to be alright.

But I completely immerse myself in conventions, especially Celebrations, so it's really important to me to be within walking distance and have the closeness to it, both for practical purposes but to also just feel like I'm living it. I get super into it. @star_wars_is_good is right, I am weird, but I wouldn't have it any other way. [face_whistling]

ChrisLyne and star_wars_is_good like this.
  11. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    With these prices for the event and hotels, and long queue lines to get in the venue, it is a waste of money not to fully participate. But I also totally agree that the feeling is great; being surrounded by awesome art, news and enthusiastic folks all day is a rare opportunity that I want to fully appreciate. It's also probably more relaxing to explore the city on a day before or after the con.

darthvader88 and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  12. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Must admit, now I've looked more at transport links for my days outside of Celebration I can see that the L train offers good links even if you're not walking distance. But I'm glad to be close. Like @MotivateR5D4 says, you just get immersed in that Celebration bubble and it's fantastic!

MotivateR5D4 and darthvader88 like this.
  13. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    Well, I arrive on the 8th and have also the 9th and 10th to do some sightseeing. The Navy Pier is close enough to my hotel for walking distance so hopefully the weather is decent...

14. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    I wound up bouncing around to a few different hotels in the area but eventually decided to just get one about 20 minutes away or so. I love driving, and it's quite a bit cheaper that the ones close to the con for still quite a nice room. will I miss out on some of the atmosphere? Eh, maybe, but I still think I'm going to have a good time.

darthvader88 likes this.
  15. darthjason127

Dec 11, 2017
    If you are driving I recommend finding and figuring out parking and allowing extra time for traffic
    There are some parking apps that you can book in advance
    We are driving in and booked our parking in advanced and it will save us a fair amount of money
    We used ParkWhiz

Senator Kelberry and ChrisLyne like this.
  16. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    yeah I'm a Spothero myself and I've lived a few decades in Chicagoland so I'm well familiar with the trials and tribulations of I-55.

darthvader88 likes this.
  17. darthjason127

Dec 11, 2017
  18. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I changed my booking from the Hyatt (the one 3 miles away) to the Wyndham. Got the same nights, same kind of booking, at $20 less a night, and much closer (2-3 blocks) to a train stop than the Hyatt.

19. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Just cancelled Chicago South Loop. So they should now have 1 room/2 double beds available for all of SWCC. It's about a mile walk to McCormick.

20. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    Did you find another place?

21. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I managed to get the last 2 nights I needed direct with Marriott Marquis a couple of weeks ago. Just got round to cancelling South Loop today.

The direct nights were pricey, but the nights I have with OnPeak balance it out so it works out a little cheaper than South Loop did, plus it's connected, which I'm really excited for. Not stayed in a connected hotel before, looking forward to being in the heart of the action.

MotivateR5D4 and darthvader88 like this.
  22. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    So you are staying at another hotel, and then your last 2 nights at Marriott Marquis?

23. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    No, all nights at the Marriott. I had the first 3 and last 3 already sorted via OnPeak, so when the middle two nights became available directly I grabbed them.

darthvader88 likes this.
  24. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    Next Celebration I am probably gonna book directly through the hotel...

25. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Next Celebration will hopefully have a bigger selection of hotels within walking distance.

Booking via the convention/OnPeak gives better rates. What people tend to do is book directly when the location is announced so they have a room secured, then if they can get a cheaper rate/better hotel via OnPeak they cancel their original booking.

Amon_Amarth likes this.