main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 Star Wars Celebration 2019 Hotels

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , May 16, 2018.

1. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I thought about this too.

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Agreed. I have a current reservation at the South Loop Hotel that I'll be cancelling as soon as I book my hotel of choice through OnPeak.

3. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Same here. Hoping to move closer if I can.

4. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Yes, thank you!

5. Angry Warlock

Angry Warlock Jedi Padawan

Jul 5, 2016
    I'll be travelling from The UK, and will try and book my hotel on Tuesday. I've had a search around - is there anyone who can tell me what website I should go to to register an account ahead of "The Great Room Scramble" ? Thanks

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  6. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    New tweet confirms the 1:00 CDT time.

7. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    I booked a room at Holiday Inn-Downtown. Anybody else?

8. OliffWanKenobi

OliffWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2016
    Honestly as much as I'd like to go I'd begun to waver on whether to go at all, for the money it would take a trip home to to the UK is also tempting. But a 10min shuttle ride and reasonable prices at a hotel like that could still tempt me, so I'll probably take a look on tuesday.

9. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I’d suspect if the connected hotels are $200/229 then the hotels on a shuttle route should be even better value.

10. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Since it looks like we aren't going to get any specific hotel info, I'm hoping a lot of people will spend at least a few minutes looking around and comparing rates.

11. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    It depends. Tonight I'm going to look over all the Twitter, Facebook, and Reddit discussions to see what the overall consensus is and if people are as panicked as we are here. Does anyone know off hand? That would be the best indication. If people are talking about it casually, then it likely won't be a mad dash in the first few minutes. But if other discussions are going the way they are here, then I'm going to say all bets are off and it'll be a crap-shoot from the first second it opens.

I imagine walking travel groups will become a thing for this Celebration. Where people staying in hotel clusters that are located further out can meet up at various times and then all take public transportation together to get to the convention center.

Oh shoot...shoot shoot shoot! You know what I just realized, I bet all the cosplayers are going to be the ones really aiming for the nearby hotels. Otherwise things will be 100x more difficult for them if they aren't close by and have to either walk a considerable distance, take the shuttle, or take public transportation. And when you think about it, how many chances are there for these huge groups of professional level Star Wars cosplayers to meet up like this? Hardly any. And there are a TON of these guys (and gals)! Even with the blocks set aside for 501st and Mandalorian Merc members, it still won't be enough to accommodate all of them given the severe shortage of hotels anywhere else close by. Not to mention all the other professional level SW cosplayers who do more intricate characters that would be impossible for them to do if they stayed far away. There are sooo many, and they're all going to want to stay close by. That right there is going to be the biggest competition we face tomorrow.

12. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    People on Reddit were favoring the Marriott because it's the one by the arena. I don't see people "freaking out", but they are talking about booking when they go live. This board gets the most discussion that I've seen.

13. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Imagine what you'll know tomorrow...

ChrisLyne likes this.
  14. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah I’ve seen a fair bit of discussion in Facebook & Reddit but not really freaking out (that was more the other week when everything booked up the moment they announced Chicago).

15. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    With only 1 hotel connecting to the con. center, the Hyatt will probably go in minutes! I'm hoping for a room there. From 2009,in San Diego,(Comic-Con) I heard the motel owner talking to another in the area and they were saying how they raised the prices very high just because of Comic-Con, I suppose the non-Onpeak hotels will do the same. you do not want to be in costume when taking public transportation in Chicago, you really shouldn't do it while walking to the convention either! in this city, safety and care must be observed at all costs!

16. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    For the eastern time zone I want to be around a computer at 3pm?

17. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    No. 1 ET for tix. 2 for hotels.

18. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    OK thanks for some reason I was thinking it was more of a time difference.

19. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    All hotels raise non-block prices whenever there’s a major convention or event on, it’s just standard practice these days. Like you say, San Diego rooms literally double over night during SDCC.

As for travelling around in cosplay, it’s the same as every major city, just be sensible and you’ll be fine. You might get some looks or comments but as long as you’re not walking into dark alleys alone in the early hours (which isn’t recommended if you aren’t cosplaying either) then you should be ok.

20. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    Uh-Oh, there's the Marriott I missed! will try both places, but again, please! people are going to be taking BIG chances in Chicago, it's not you're usual friendly city, but that is up to everyone to take the risk, just don't want to hear about anyone getting hurt! but, let's get ready for those tickets and hotels!

21. JG_C

JG_C Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2018
    My #1 option is the Marriott Marquis, it's connected to the Arena (Celebration Stage) and the McCormick Place. Plus it's newer and yeah it'll be one of the pricer options it won't be more than 200 a night and can be paid over the year. I think it's a area worth splurging at least for me.

22. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Have a quick read of this that a Chicago local posted on Reddit yesterday.

Lots of great advice on everything from hotels to restaurants but the main part I think you should see is this;

Yes, Chicago has crime and people should be aware of that, but so does every major city. As long as you're sensible, you should be fine.

EnviousSerious-Rue and JG_C like this.
  23. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    Thanks for that article! my husband has said similar things, he's just worried. I could never ask him to come along since he would get bored. but that article is important for everyone to see!

ChrisLyne likes this.
  24. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    I have been to Los Angeles and rode the subway. Just be sensible and you'll be fine.

Anyway do we have to sign up for onpeak yo book the hotels? I do not see a link?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  25. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I couldn’t find one either. I’m hoping that it is a fast setup then straight to booking a room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk