main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CJ25 Star Wars Celebration (social thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Apr 16, 2017.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Well, there are two more significant dates this month - May 14 (GL's birthday) and May 25 (Solo release date).

2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't think they will sneak in a Celebration announcement among all the Solo build-up, if anything I would think that an announcement could come when there is still buzz from Solo and Star Wars is on people's minds. So hopefully in an early June announcement, if we get one in the spring/summer.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  3. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    While I don't think they'll do the 25th because Solo is released then and they obviously wanted May 4th to be Solo only, they could do it during Memorial Day weekend. Going off that SW Solo buzz without taking away from opening day

Now May 19 is Ep 1 release date. Next year marks its 20th anniversary. While I don't think they would do this, they did release tickets on the opening day of ANH for a celebration that is the year of a big anniversary. They could use that reasoning but I doubt it.

If it's not by Memorial Day, it's whenever they feel like out of the blue. Unless they use Force Friday in September since there are no movies in December coming for a big toy push that day. Which would make it special

ChrisLyne likes this.
  4. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    It's also possible they're waiting as long as possible to make sure construction on Galaxy's Edge is on schedule.

Padme501st likes this.
  5. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I absolutely agree. I have been to seven Celebrations. Four where I had to use transport to get to the convention center and three where I was in walking distance. Being able to the convention center and back without having to use some form of transportation is king.

Well someone knows. It's just a matter of finding them and forcing them to talk.;)

I have also been waiting for an announcement, though I have also been at a local convention this weekend, so my mind was a little preoccupied with that.
    But now I am ready for an announcement.[face_waiting] Though I am not actually sure I can go.[face_thinking][face_beatup]

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  6. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    This is probably the most likely scenario at this point. And any announcements will be contingent on that.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  7. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    And who knows what 'soon' means, I wonder if anyone at 501st or Rebel Legion has heard anything?

8. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Those are fan groups that consist of people who aren't any different than you or I, so they wouldn't really be privy to anything that the average person isn't. Unless somebody in one of those groups had some kind of inside source, just by being so heavily involved in the SW community, perhaps they know somebody, but that wouldn't be any different from anything else they could have an inside source on anyway.

9. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    Here is something from a 'simpler time', 40 years ago, in California, Star Wars had just come out. the conventions were announced in the local newspapers, almost all of the cons were staged in hotels. before the 'dark times', fans would be dressed in their favorite costumes and were allowed to run around, in designated areas, playing shoot out with blasters and light sabers! there was a group coming up from L.A. in full costume on the plane on its way to San Francisco. There was a Imperial group waiting for them at the airport, with permission, there was a raid and shoot out at the airport!(all this with the airports permission!) it made the papers with great glee! Then, the dark times came and the fun ceased to exist!. This is a true story, I spoke to the Imperial group at the hotel.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  10. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006

11. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    Here is a strange thing I heard on the way to the airport after the last Cele. a Lucasfilm representative and a 'major sci-fi media person were talking and I happened to ask if they knew when the next Cele. would be. They said that the last one was not supposed to be in Orlando but in Anaheim! Reed had made the decision and somehow Disney objected. as for my choice about the next place Cele. may be, Anaheim. it's their turn for it and Star Wars Land will be opening. it would be convenient for me to pick up a nest full of Porgs!

12. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Right now this makes the most sense to me. Open Solo on 25th then, when everyone is focused on Star Wars, announce Celebration over the Memorial Day weekend.

If it's not that weekend then it could be anytime.

There won't be a Force Friday this week as there's no new film at Christmas so no product launch (technically we had Wookie Weekend last month but between the confusion of the launch date and Toys R Us closing it kinda fizzled out).

Ignoring all Star Wars dates for a second, D23 Expo 2019 was announced at the end of March this year for next August so assuming an October Celebration that would reasonably put an announcement at the end of this month, again bringing us back to Memorial weekend as Padme501st suggested.

13. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    It would be a surprise if they didn't use any specific date or event to announce it. when I called Reed about a date or if there was even going to be a Celebration,the guy told me that- Celebration was on their calender(I checked a Reed calender online and didn't find any mention for next year) and that Reed was not associated with Disney as far as how or when the convention was run. can anyone clarify? I don't know everything.

14. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    At this point it's safe to say that, outside of Disney/Lucasfilm/ReedPOP, nobody knows and even internally it may still be changing (Making Star Wars said as much last month when the rumours all came out).

At this point we've passed the most obvious date (May the 4th) as well as other possible dates like Revenge of the 5th and the anniversary of Celebration. Like Padme501st said above there's the anniversary of TPM on 19th but that would be right in the middle of the final push for Solo's release (which has taken another possible anniversary date - May 25th).

Memorial weekend, in the aftermath of Solo's debut, seems like the most obvious date at the moment. There will be a lot of focus on Star Wars that weekend so the announcement could potentially reach a wider audience. It could be April/Spring (we're still in May so it's close enough to what they did last time, just adjusted a bit because of Solo) or it could be Fall (a late May/early June announcement would be similar to the time from D23 announcement to Expo for an October or November Celebration). ReedPOP could be in or out. The surest thing seems to be Anaheim but I guess even that could change.

Basically we know nothing and nothing is official until they make an announcement. At this point April or October wouldn't surprise me and Reed in or out wouldn't surprise me.

Personally I'm still hoping for April. October would be cheaper for me but I really want it sooner than later and would prefer to get a first look at IX rather than the last trailer. And I hope ReedPOP is still in. I know they have issues but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. They can make improvements and Disney have shown at D23 they probably won't run it much better.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  15. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I think a Friday afternoon announcement on Memorial Day Weekend would be quite fitting. After everyone's gone to the Thursday night premiere of Solo. Even if you haven't, it would still be perfectly in tune with the holiday weekend and all the Solo hoopla going on. People are starting to make definite plans for summer and beyond. That's probably the next most likely date for an announcement.

But I do think @star_wars_is_good makes a good point that they may want to get a better handle on when Star Wars Land will be opening before they announce Celebration. Anything can happen that could delay it, especially with a construction project that large happening on two coasts simultaneously. And even if it's on time, it's still possible that they could hold off an announcing Celebration as a way of just making damn sure that it will open on time. Most conventions only give you a 6-8 month window anyhow from the time tickets go on sale until the actual event. So it's not like they have to give us a year like we're all expecting. I'm still fairly hopeful for a spring Celebration as well, so it could still be in line with that.

And just throwing this out there, but at this point I wouldn't even rule them out saying sorry, we're going to push it to Spring 2020. Fall isn't a good time for it anyway. And they still have D23 to debut the trailer. So they wouldn't lose out on being able to do that. And in the event that Star Wars Land just isn't ready, or whatever other reasoning they might have, if they are already planning for Fall, they haven't announced anything so it's not like they'd be going back on what they've told us, what would be another six months to hold off Celebration and get it totally right. There's nothing binding them to a 2019 Celebration other than Warwick telling us there will be one. Also keep in mind that was a ReedPop announcement. So if Disney takes over they could easily scrap everything ReedPop did and said, and use that as a way to distance themselves from any fallout for not having a Celebration in 2019. And while it isn't likely, I wouldn't completely rule that out.

This is all just so in the air now. At least in terms of looking from the outside.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    ChrisLyne likes this.
  16. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    Exellent observations! I remember Warwick not giving a definite time at the closing ceremony, it seems there was a pause he took before announcing the info. I almost heard a "ahhh no" from the fans, I said "Oh no!" Can anyone tell me what the ruckuss was in the main Celebration room? I heard something about the Jedi Training Academy having an argument, I was standing in line(3 hrs.) at the time it occurred, Then, at the closing Ceremony, the Reed management team was on stage and did not look too happy. does any one know about this? I thought I heard Disney was very upset about it.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  17. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    @j-jawa3: I was on the show floor watching the closing ceremony with a whole bunch of people. When he went from talking about the next Celebration to ending it with something to the extent of "...will be sometime in the future", when everybody was expecting the exact details to be revealed at that moment, it was like the proverbial wind got sucked out of the entire room. Everybody paused for a second and kind of looked at each other thinking "did he just say that?". And then everyone collectively realized that he in fact did say that. And then you could hear everybody echoing an "ah man". But that was it. Nobody was pissed off or anything.

And I do remember hearing something about there being some kind of issue going on with the ReedPop staff when they were on stage at the closing ceremony. I can't remember what it might have been about though.

CaptainRegor likes this.
  18. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    Thanks, I was standing in the store line and as you know, noise everywhere. I was sad to hear about G.L. and Harrison Ford at the interview area at one time (during the 3 hour wait!) I thought I heard a shouting match going on down the room, I thought it was part of the "Jedi Academy" as it's always loud there. later, I heard someone say 2 people were arguing at the Jedi Academy area. that's all I ever heard, I thought that due to this, the Reed management was sort of put on stage as a "punishment" for the lack of settling the disruption. The reed people looked very uneasy on stage. This was the first time I had ever seen this done and heard the lack of a future Cele. announcement. But, maybe this was Disney not wanting to surprise everyone about Star Wars Land. who knows.

19. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I remember reading about some sort of argument between a Disney exec and a Reed person over the Jedi Academy that ended with the Disney exec telling the Reed person that they were done. TBH I thought it was probably a dispute that got a little heated and never read anything more into it (plus we didn’t really have all the details to my knowledge).

Who knows? If ReedPOP are out maybe this was the incident that pushed it past the point of no return. Or maybe it had no impact at all. We’ll likely never know.

20. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    that argument was not good for children and fans to see or hear! I was standing in line, suffering greatly, as we all do to look at the dregs left over at the Cele. store. I'm hoping that the squall wasn't in front of the fans. I remember being in that area during the con. and visiting the Disney venue, there were these very pleasant young women in front answering questions and telling people about the services offered. all smiles-except for a very young looking clone of Director Krennic! the girls supervisor, he stood in the back. frowning and you could almost see a whip and chair if the 'smiles' ceased for a second! I wonder if he was chosen for his looks! Do you remember if that venue was close to the Jedi Academy set up? I wonder if those persons were arguing. I wonder if the Cele. is really on Reeds calender? I did look. Fans need to get 'pumped up about something, a Celebration is the best medicine!

21. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Afraid I don't know where it was located, I didn't go last year, just read it here.

In terms of being on Reed's calendar, who knows! Even if they're no longer involved it may be on an internal calendar from when they were or just to make sure they don't clash with NYCC if it has been moved to October.

22. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    The celebration website is still Reed branded, says we will see you in 2019 and has it on their upcoming events as TBD. So, I would guess they are still involved at least at this point.

23. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Maybe. Like I said above I'd prefer Reed to stay involved but the website (to my knowledge) hasn't been updated since last Celebration ended and the "see you in 2019" was added. Same for their calendar. If the rumours about Reed being out are true I still wouldn't expect them to update websites and calendars until the official announcement is made. We're really in limbo until then.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  24. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    So, will everyone be making preparations for either location? Orlando, Anaheim? Where do the majority of fans come from? I've been thinking of International fans and the predicaments they may have. Celebration is the only event I have seen where everyone is safe around fellow fans, no fear. everyone gets along, when I'm with a huge group, like waiting in the lines one the first day, the air is festive, full of anticipation, accepting! Have any of you felt this? just a good feeling.

25. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I am international and I must say, that I am not sure what predicaments you mean?
    On a personal note, Orlando or Anaheim makes no difference to me, though if (and right now it's a big if) I am able to go, then I would like to go back to Anaheim. I have been to the last 5 US Celebrations and the last 2 European Celebrations and I like the idea of US Celebrations alternating between Anaheim and Orlando.

I agree about it being nice to be among so many fellow Star Wars fans, but at the same time I can't help thinking about previous Celebrations and reading afterwards that someone had their postertubes stolen (I think I have read about that twice) and last time someone wrote, that during the 501st bash he was standing with his goodiebag in hand when someone deliberately knocked it out of his hand, picked it up, and took of with it during the Weird All concert. It makes me sad and angry at the same time, that some people would to that to others.

I protect my self as best I can against theft, but generally I don't expect to be robbed, and like you I like that festive feeling full of anticipation when waiting in line t get in on the first day and generally the good mood everywhere whenever we are in line.