main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CJ25 Star Wars Celebration (social thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Apr 16, 2017.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    ExCel also has a Starbucks nearby - you pass it on the way from the DLR train. I'm not really a coffee drinker but my partner needed his morning hit.

2. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    This is why I really liked the wristband system in London. It got most of the queuing out of the way in advance of the show opening each day. After that you only spent more time queuing if you wanted a closer seat, you could walk up 15 minutes before the panel and know you had a seat.

I know some people don't like having to overnight but let's be honest for a moment, the queues are going to happen anyway for major panels, better to provide a safe environment for it. The wristbands just mean you can get a guaranteed seat at a second panel so you spend less time queuing and more time enjoying the rest of what Celebration has to offer.

I know it went crazier in Orlando because more fans were prepared to queue longer and the room capacity was smaller but (IMO) I've still not seen a better solution offered.

At London I pretty much lived on cereal bars and snacks during the day then a decent meal in the evenings. There was an Italian outside the queue hall that was pretty reasonable and also the only place to stay open overnight so they must have made a killing that first night!

3. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    It's true that you can get so caught up in trying to make the panels and exclusive lines that one can forget to eat! when I was in Indianapolis way back in the 90's, we waited all night in the rain, hale and such for G.L. the next day. when we finally got into the convention center-soaked and cold but still full of spirit, we sat down-on the floor and a person in our group, don't ask me how, entered with a large cooler full of food and drinks! there ,we had a small 'dinner'! where we were sitting, up against some double doors that lead into a connecting hall. the doors were unlocked and we heard from a member who had a map of the building, that G.L. would be coming down that hall for the panel! we would peek from the door and watch. then,at 7:30 AM, the doors were locked! we went in LAST,after everyone else from the outside of the Con.center. not fair!

4. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I was reading some of the earlier posts on location of Cele. and think that it'll be in Anaheim, why? it Anaheim's turn to host it due to the last Cele. being in Orlando and Star Wars Land is opening in Anaheim. a Disney thing.... Have any of you looked at the new and improved Anaheim Con. center? I looked on Google Earth and on the site, a little bit bigger, but the old 'clamshell" is still being used. I found that the upper tiers of the "shell" were the best for viewing the action below, better than the VIP area. got a panoramic picture from above. The Gut trucks were fun but the exhaust wasn't! it was best to get your food and move away from the trucks-fresh air! How many remember the Cele. at the L.A. convention center? very exciting one!

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    TFN Main has posted a clip of Donald Glover being hounded for autographs in an airport. Someone asks him if he will be at Celebration and he says 'Yes'. See the story at the link. (Also, the header on the story says Anaheim).

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  6. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    The Anaheim image means absolutely nothing.

I wouldn't read much into what Glover said. He's just trying to get rid of a fan stalking him at the airport. He may ultimately be there, he may not.

7. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Chicago.
    April 11-15
    Tickets June 5 1:00 ET

Padme501st and ChrisLyne like this.
  8. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Well that was unexpected!

Like Anakin says - "this is where the fun begins!"

The countdown is ON!!!

9. TK--421

TK--421 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 30, 2002
    Wow we were all wrong on our predictions.. Chicago eh? Some new places to try.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  10. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Hotel rates aren't up yet, but you can sign up to be notified when they are.

By the way...can a mod update the thread title?

11. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Spring time baby! I'm going! Yes!!!

12. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm going to start looking at hotels...

Any body have any recommendations?

Edit: There doesn't seem to be much in the immediate surrounding vicinity.

13. TK--421

TK--421 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 30, 2002
    Reedpop is definitely hosting again.

For all you people already thinking hotels, it's the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place and Marriott Marquis are the close ones. After that it gets far and/or expensive.

Padme501st likes this.
  14. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Those dates can't be right, can they? The 15th would be Monday.

15. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    That was unexpected, and I was just going to bed when the I got a message from our travel group.

From now on it's time to split up the discussion a bit, keep this as the general social thread, but hotels and other things should have their own threads.

16. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Now that you mention it....

17. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    There really is nothing other than those two, and they're expensive. I might have to go with being further away.

18. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Five days?!

19. groove790

groove790 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 16, 2010
    Of course the announcement comes on a day that I'm totally swamped and I'm not looking at any of the news feeds for any information.

Chicago is a decent choice though. I think that it should have been there a long time ago. I'm still not sure if I'm going to be able toto ma this one.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Chicago is even better for me than Orlando would have been! So yep I'll be attending my second Celebration next year! [face_dancing]

21. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah. Chicago hotels are super expensive.

22. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    And there really is nothing in close by other than those two right next to it.

23. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah hotel selection sucks :(

24. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, I've stayed in the loop area when I've gone to Chicago, but that's a bit north. I'm not familiar with this area.

25. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I was looking forward to Anaheim, but I've only changed planes in Chicago so it will be nice to see some of the city. I'm planning on arriving on Monday and leave on Tuesday.