main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC22 Star Wars Celebration Anaheim Now May 26-29, 2022.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by MotivateR5D4, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I got a refund for my Star Wars nite tickets. I then used that money to put a deposit on a Disney trip for August 2021. Haha I got the Disney bug, my wife and I love going there.

darthvader88 and ChrisLyne like this.
  2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I just checked my calendar and realized that I hadn't cancelled my stay at the airport before I was supposed to fly out, it's done now though.

3. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    I am actually trying to head to Magic Kingdom for the 50th Annivesary but for some reason they aren't allowing bookings past September 26 2021 just yet...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ChrisLyne likes this.
  4. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Same here. We had our honeymoon there on their 40th so we wanted to go again for their 50th. Best guess is they're waiting and will announce new packages and ticket types (I believe the UK Ultimate Tickets are being phased out) once things are on surer footing.

5. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    We booked a late August trip. I’m hoping they start the 50th stuff early. If not we may rebook for a later date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisLyne likes this.
  6. Jedi_Five

Jedi_Five Jedi Master star 1

Jul 23, 2010
    Well, I haven't been on here in a long time!
    I am really happy about Celebration being rescheduled... I couldn't believe it when I saw the countdown being still on at the beginning of June. I was sort of worried that it was going to go ahead. I didn't want to go under the current circumstances. Sure it is sad, but better than everyone catching the virus! Plus, it will give us the opportunity to save money for 2022!
    I am transferring my tickets to 2022. I had placed the preorder successfully and I will keep my order. Merch will be shipped for free (to Canada!). How strange that will be to have merch that says "Anaheim 2020" with no Celebration! I bet that merch will be worth a lot of $$$ later!! LOL
    Good news about the stormtrooper pin... I guess I will receive four pins, since I have badges for separate days (as I couldn't get the 4 day pass). That's at least one advantage! Then, I can "pin trade" the extras at Celebration 2022!
    Also, what do you think about the panel or party to celebrate ESB's 40th anniversary? Do you think they'll do one in 2022? That would be the first for a 42nd anniversary!! Well again, nothing has been happening as usual, everything is getting cancelled. I didn't realize how many things/events I attend each year. It was definitely sad to have them cancelled one by one.
    I hope all of you are keeping safe & healthy!

7. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I'm sure they'll have whatever they have planned ready for the summer season (at least as much as they can given current circumstances). For the 40th day there was a special presentation on opening, they had special maps and a button they gave away as you entered the park, and special cupcakes on sale, extra fireworks along Main Street during Wishes (making it more of a 360 event), but that was all. All the celebratory parades and were already running, the next attractions already open, etc. They had limited edition merch as well but that's a given with Disney ;)

Honestly I'm amazed they didn't announce something virtual for at least Mando Season 2 and TESB 40th. Right now I honestly think they'll just switch focus to AOTC 20th. I'm happy to be wrong, but I don't think they were planning anything as special as the ANH 40th anyway so they'll likely move on. Hopefully they'll do some sort of ESB retrospective but I don't think it will be done as one of the main events anymore.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    TFN Main is reporting that refunds for Celebration have started showing up in PayPal accounts. So if you opted for a refund be sure to check!

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  9. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    ChrisLyne and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  10. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah, the same as with Celebration. It will be officially going ahead until they're ready to announce that it isn't. I know NYC is getting better but there's no way any major convention like this happens this year at this point.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  11. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I saw that a lot people weren't happy with the NYCC announcement. Looks like one of those situations where they literally have to say "everything is fine, we're proceeding as normal" and not provide any hint whatsoever that they might cancel, just to cover themselves completely and not give their insurance companies any leverage at all.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  12. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
  13. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    So what was the point of the initial announcement? Almost seems like that was literally a formality that they had to do so the insurance would pay out. Even the Newsweek article has now been updated.

14. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Don't you think it's strange that it seems that they are really not planning any virtual content for when celebration should have taken place? Or have I missed anything?

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I haven't seen anything mentioned on Rebelscum or TFN Main. I know from the Lit forum that Project Luminous book releases were put back to Jan 2021. I think a couple were due out around Celebration time.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  16. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, it really comes down to what their marketing strategy is for The Mandalorian now. I think there's a chance we get a trailer this month. The NBA playoffs are about to start and they like to tie promotional stuff in with ESPN, so maybe they'll do something with that.

I think it's safe to say they aren't going to be doing a bunch of virtual panels online.

17. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah I'm still surprised they're not doing anything. Guess they feel they will get more eyes on the trailer at a game rather than a virtual panel. We don't even know when they're planning the merch sale yet.

18. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    When the cancellation was announced, I did find it strange that there wasn't even the slightest hint that they'll be offering something to tune into around the time of Celebration, especially given the long write up. Not even a vague "Stay tuned for more" kind of thing. I figured at the very least the Star Wars Show would have expected to give us a special Celebration themed episode. My guess is the staff decided it just isn't worth the effort. Maybe they weren't happy with how their May the 4th offerings turned out, that didn't really pan out to much.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  19. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Keep in mind, if you're considering a refund, the deadline to request one is in two weeks (August 26th).

@ChrisLyne, don't worry man. I went ahead and requested that your tickets be refunded on your behalf, so you don't need to do anything. You're welcome.

ChrisLyne and BrentC007 like this.
  20. Jedi_Five

Jedi_Five Jedi Master star 1

Jul 23, 2010
    Personally, I prefer NO virtual panels online for Star Wars Celebration. I mean, this is a special event and in my view, it can only happen in person. Would you imagine online lotteries? I'm sure they'll do some announcements, though.

This is really unprecedented times, and it is somewhat interesting to see how many festivals / conventions / events are planning something different this year.

I usually attend TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival). I attend the Industry Conference, as it is a work-related event for me. Well, this year, the Festival will have only 50 in-person films, instead of 350. However, they also have the online option. I won't be travelling to Toronto this year, but I requested a "Digital Talks" pass.

Interestingly, they will welcome "TIFF Ambassadors", 50 celebrated filmmakers and actors invited to help TIFF deliver a strong Festival this year for the film industry. I see that Rian Johnson will be there! =D=

https://www.tiff.net/about-tiff-20
    https://www.tiff.net/industry-accreditation

As well, speaking of Comic-Con, our Ottawa Comic-Con has been cancelled for this year. And no online option! Interestingly enough, the dates had changed this year from the usual May (Mother's Day weekend) to September 11-13. I would not have been able to attend anyway, since it would conflict with TIFF!!
    https://capitalcurrent.ca/ottawa-comiccon-changes-2020-convention-date-to-attract-more-attendees/
    https://ottawacomiccon.com/information-concerning-covid-19/

21. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't really complain about it, to be honest the virtual alternatives to conventions and other events that I have checked out have been to say the least lacklustre. I'm just surprised, since I imagine that they had a bunch of stuff to announce, that we haven't heard anything, not even about a special Star Wars show. I actually think that would be the best alternative. Make one big SW show episode and have everything crammed into that one.

22. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    @star_wars_is_good that's ok, they said I could have your ticket instead

@Obi Anne a special edition SW Show would make the most sense, and they could still drop that at the end of the month.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  23. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    [​IMG]

ChrisLyne likes this.
  24. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    Regarding announcements, it could be also they didn't really have any massive announcements planned. We only really know that The Mandalorian season 2 would make an appearance along with the ESB festivities. The Mando trailer they can premiere in some other fashion; the panel maybe they just consider a wash. Same thing with the ESB panel. Might be they don't think putting something together virtual to be worth it.

New movies are years away and everything else was just rumors. Maybe we'd have seen something Bad Batch related, but easily could be released without a big "fake Celebration" or even " Special Star Wars Show" to-do. It might just be that Anaheim 2020 was literally just meant to be a celebration not necessarily a big marketing event.

I dunno, though, just thinking out loud.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Alphabet Squadron - Del Rey have announced the name of the third book in the Alphabet Squadron trilogy. That would probably have been done at Celebration if it had gone ahead.