main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC22 Star Wars Celebration Anaheim Now May 26-29, 2022.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by MotivateR5D4, Apr 15, 2019.

1. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    So is everyone planning on doing Galaxy's Edge before or after Celebration? I thinking before at the moment. Have Monday in Disneyland (minus GE), Tuesday in California Adventure, Wednesday in Galaxy's Edge, then Thursday to Monday for Celebration.

2. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    If I get to go, I would say before. I couldn’t imagine doing it after Celebration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    By no means is this scientific or guaranteed but if Celebration is in April next year, the 16-20 might not be the dates. Every year, Disney World does a Star Wars half marathon weekend in April. The years it's coincided with Celebration, it's either been the weekend before or after. 2017 it was the weekend after Celebration and this year was the weekend before. Next year it is scheduled for April 16-19.

Like I said, just based off of two occurrences I don't know if this will always be the case, but something to consider if you're trying to read the tea leaves.

4. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    Just a hunch, but I don't think it's going to be in April.

5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Yea, I have a feeling it's not going to be in April. It'll be interested to see where they place it.

That's a packed week. I'd imagine a lot of people might think of doing Galaxy's Edge before Celebration as well, so you may have an easier time if you chose to do it afterwards.

I might be up for doing that. We can discuss it later on when Celebration gets announced.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  6. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I was tentatively thinking before, but if @MotivateR5D4 is correct after might be better, although I expect it's going to be busy around Celebration either way.

7. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    If you think the lines at Celebration are bad, I can only imagine how bad GE will be during celebration. Still, it's not like everyone can just mosey on over to Anaheim or Orlando whenever they want, so if you attend, I hope it's a blast!

8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I would probably skip GE this time. I'm assuming that Celebrations will be held in Orlando or Anaheim in the future, so there will be more chances to visit GE when the crowds there are more "normal".

Gamma626 likes this.
  9. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    This is why I love you guys. I wouldn't have even thought about the half marathon,

So we can effectively rule out April 9-13th due to WonderCon and April 16-20th because of the SW Half Marathon.

So some options for speculation are;

April 23rd-27th (weekend after the half marathon)
    April 30th - May 4th (because Star Wars)
    May 14-18th or 21st-25th (weekend before or after ESB's 40th)
    August 13-17th (moving back to mid-August like CV & CVI)
    August 20-24th (setting up alternating years with D23)

And those are just options, with no film marketing schedule to tie in with it really could go anywhere. D23 is normally mid/late August but it was in July in 2017 (doubt they'll go head to head with SDCC again but stranger things have happened).

Yeah, I must admit I was thinking about this last night, whether before or after, I should push Galaxy's Edge as far from SWCA as possible as a lot of people will probably arrive a day early/leave a day late to do a day in the park. And add a rest day between the parks and Celebration because I'm not Superman lol!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  10. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    When I come to Cele. that's all I come for, Galaxcys Edge can wait. it'll probably be very expensive ,lines very long and very fast-like, move along, move along due to the lines. why exhaust yourself further beyond Cele.? How many people will try to stat at the hotel? what do you have to do to get in? sounds very exclusive to me.

11. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    If you're referring to the Galaxy's Edge hotels, they only just started to lay foundation earlier this month. If it's open by Celebration 2020, it's going to be really hard to book a room there.

12. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006
    You know that Galaxy's Edge is going to open to the public in Disneyland on May 31st of this year and it going to open Aug 29th in WDW. By the time SWCA start it will be open for a year. Plenty of time for the crowds to die down somewhat.

MotivateR5D4 and ChrisLyne like this.
  13. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The last Celebrations have been held around Easter. Wondercon is on Easter weekend, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the weekend before, which would be April 2-5 (or 6 if it's a five day thing).

ChrisLyne likes this.
  14. JonSB

JonSB Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 20, 2018
    I have the feeling it is going to still be bad almost anytime even after that time.
    I went to the Frozen ride at Epcot after SWCO a year after it open and you could not get a fastpass because they were booked months in advance. That was a 2.5 hour wait and an absolutely boring ride (brother and his wife wanted to go)
    Pandora in Animal Kingdom is still several hours wait almost 2 years after they opened to the public.

15. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    The Harry Potter park was flooded with people nearly two years after opening, and even still isn't exactly died down. When Galaxy's edge opens this year, not all the rides will even be fully operational, with Rise of the Resistance not opening for an undetermined amount of time. The lines will absolutely not be smaller in a year, especially with a Star Wars convention happening at the same time.

Regardless, none of that has anything to do with the galaxy's edge hotel which is what I was talking about. Which, again, has barely started construction as of April 2019, and will certainly be booked when it opens by not only would-be celebration attendees, but by general audience members as well.

16. StarWarsFan1997

StarWarsFan1997 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    I made the mistake my first two Celebrations (2015 and 2017) of trying to do Disney and the con simultaneously. This year I focused entirely on Celebration. With that in mind, I would probably go to Disneyland after, since it would give me something’s to look forward to after the con.

MotivateR5D4 and ChrisLyne like this.
  17. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Is there even a hotel in Anaheim? I thought that was just being built in Orlando? And yeah, I don’t think it will be ready either way for next year.

That’s a good point. Disney & Galaxy’s Edge would be a nice cure for post-Celebration blues.

18. vader327

vader327 Jedi Master

Apr 22, 2002
    For those asking about Galaxy's Edge, I would place a large bet that Disney will have a hard ticketed event at GE on one of the nights. Similar to what they did at Hollywood Studios in Orlando. No way they pass on that opportunity.

jeditrainee, ChrisLyne and Gamma626 like this.
  19. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    But will it be a lottery? ;p

vader327 likes this.
  20. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I think there's a very real chance it is.

Gamma626 likes this.
  21. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    I would expect nothing less at this point. I don't really have anything against the lottery either. Means I don't have to worry about overnights!

22. BrentC007

BrentC007 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 6, 2002
    My first Celebration was Anaheim 2015 and as I recall, they sold tickets for an exclusive day/time where the park was only open to people going to Celebration. They sold out pretty quickly.

Padme501st and ChrisLyne like this.
  23. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I wouldn’t be surprised if they did a ticketed Galaxy’s Edge event one night during Celebration.

Hopefully they will allow costumes that night as I think that would be amazing to see.

I know there was talk of Star Wars costumes being allowed in Black Spire but sadly that’s no longer the case. So even if you buy your Jedi robes or Imperial Officer costume there you can’t wear it in the parks.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  24. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    I guess it depends on what dates people are able to get off from their jobs. I say after celebration, try and go...

25. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    So who's expecting some news on May 4th? :D

Last edited: May 1, 2019