main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CJ25 Star Wars Celebration (social thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Apr 16, 2017.

1. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I want this Obi-Wan rumor to be true so bad.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There are pics of all 3 up in Collecting in the Female Collector thread. I like the Vader one but not the price - Amazon UK pre-order is for £85.

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    They are gorgeous all of them. The price tag is a bit too much for me right now, so as a cosplayer I'm instead thinking about making it fullsize (which of course in the end will be a lot more expensive) [face_thinking]

star_wars_is_good likes this.
  4. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Why are these so much more expensive than other Barbies?

5. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Everyone is reporting the Obi-Wan news now!

zcure1 and BrentC007 like this.
  6. zcure1

zcure1 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 10, 2013
    @ChrisLyne well I guess that Cinelinx guy was right after all. I hope they bring Ewan to Celebration for sure. Despite what some may have thought, without a major movie release for this one, there is still a lot of exciting stuff to look forward to at this next Celebration. I am hoping Harrison and George make the Empire panel as well.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  7. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    The Obi-Wan rumour is definitely everywhere now, but it's not the first time. I liked John Jackson Miller's tweet about "every time a certain rumour is spreading I see a spike in Kenobi-sales, at least people get a good novel out of the deal".

And the Barbie dolls are so expensive because they are some kind of special collector's dolls, not play dolls.

8. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I think it's a done deal at this point. It reminds me a lot of when Alden was cast as Han and the news got out a few weeks before Celebration Europe. Everyone knew, the main trades all reported it, they just held off the official announcement until Celebration. I can see the same thing happening with D23 here.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - Mattel have done quite a few Barbie collector dolls and they are more expensive than a normal Barbie. They've done a Doctor Who one, for example. It's £57 on Amazon UK.

10. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I would die if Ewan came to Celebration. Next year may be too soon though since Cassian is coming first. Unless things have changed.

MotivateR5D4 and ChrisLyne like this.
  11. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    It's going to be so disappointing if they don't stream that panel. Lol

ChrisLyne likes this.
  12. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Star Wars tax?

PCCViking likes this.
  13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Could be. The Doctor Who Barbie on Amazon UK is less expensive than the Vader one I looked up.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    PCCViking likes this.
  14. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    With Cassian and Obi-Wan being announced, plus probably season 2 of the Mandalorian, it could possibly be the Celebration that launches Star Wars into the new era. Streaming services and their content seem to be the dominant form of media right now. So it would make sense for Disney to want to compete with that. And after 5 years of SW films, fatigue from that might be setting in with general audiences, so changing gears like this might be just the thing SW needs to stay relevant.

ChrisLyne and star_wars_is_good like this.
  15. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I could really use a Christmas at work without a new Star Wars movie for a few years. Christmas and Star Wars is like a punch to the nuts at work.

Padme501st and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  16. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    @Obi Anne
    Your Astérix and Obelix cosplay is giving me life! I’ve been a fan of the series as long as I can remember and it’s right on.

The Barbies are honestly not that crazily price. I know that sounds crazy but I used to get the Mattel catalog in the mail as a teenager and some would go for like $400+. Usually they were designed by designers and hand painted with attention to detail that is unparalleled to their semi collectors editions and definitely on a much higher level than the playing dolls. Depending on the quality of materials used, I can see the reason for the price. I saw the Vader one and immediately thought I needed it as a cosplay.

Things have been extremely hectic for me personally, aside from back to back cosplay events lol, my job has actually become so toxic that I turned in my 2 weeks notice last Monday for health reasons (mental/emotional health which was seriously starting to affect physical). They let me go instead of working it so I’m officially jobless. Thankfully I’m not in a financial bind because of it and definitely don’t have to jump into any job just to make ends meet. After a lot of thoughts, I’ve decided to open an Etsy store on the side and may just work part time, unless a really great opportunity bites.

Lastly, I went to see Queen in concert Thursday and of course had to cosplay. Made a Radio Gaga MV outfit for it, the whole show was amazing
    [​IMG]

Now that my life is going to get back to normal, I should be more active again

17. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Wow! Brave step @Padme501st. Glad you're in a better place for it.

MotivateR5D4 and Padme501st like this.
  18. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Hayden's reaction when he learned @Padme501st has more free time...

[​IMG]

19. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Sounds like you have had a lot of things happening @Padme501st . Good luck with your etsy store what are you planning on selling?

20. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Sorry to hear that @Padme501st. At least you're doing what's best for you. Just know we're always here for you!

Padme501st likes this.
  21. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I’m going to start with cosplay detailed hair bows and EarBands. I’ve got 3 EarBands designed already, i just have to make them. 2 of them are already sold to a friend thankfully. If those pick up I may do more stuff, I’m not sure

ChrisLyne likes this.
  22. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I really hope Padme that with the toxic job out of the way and you doing something you enjoy, you may recover your joy of life and get ready for happy times next year! As for the SW Barbies, leave it to Disney to hike up the price because they own the franchise. $ 100 is not an uncommon price for a collector Barbie, I'm not too interested in theses particular dolls though.

Padme501st likes this.
  23. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Got my Galaxies Edge Magic Band for my trip to DW in December. We go to Disney every year, anyone here a vacation club member? Thinking about joining it.

Padme501st likes this.
  24. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I thought about it but since we don't go every year (much as I would like too) we couldn't iustify it.

25. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Can you report back on GE Rox? I haven't seen too many opinions of the venue lately. Ah! a Christmas trip? how nice, hope you have a great time-again.

Padme501st likes this.