main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CJ25 Star Wars Celebration (social thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Apr 16, 2017.

1. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    If they hold one overseasons, hopefully it will be 4-5 days...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    That’s what I would like to see. I prefer Orlando and Disney World to Disneyland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I really hope so, but based on all previous events I'd say 3 days is more likely.

I remember that as well. I think it depends on panel capacity being sorted out. I would love Orlando as it's cheaper coming from the UK but they really need arena capacity for the big panels. If they can make that work then I can see them alternating.

Good call on the ROTJ 40th everyone. Between that and Rogue Squadron I'd be surprised if they didn't do something in 2023. Guess the big question is back to back US events or 2023 in Europe. Rogue Squadron is a stand alone like Rogue One was rather than a Saga film, but also the first theatrical release in 4 years.

MotivateR5D4 and BrentC007 like this.
  4. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I think London will get the 2024 Celebration for the 40th anniversary of Caravan of Courage.

JonSB, ChrisLyne and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The anniversary everyone is looking forward to

star_wars_is_good likes this.
  6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I think you may have seen the last of European Celebrations. Events in Europe sound like they will become very few and far between. Disney has these giant money makers having them at Disneyland and Disney World. Why would they give that up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    They did give it up for Chicago for some reason, but you're right - Orlando and especially Anaheim make too much sense.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I guess it really depends what they want to do with Celebration going forward. If they want to make it an annual US event with a fixed location (or rotating between Anaheim and Orlando) then, yeah, the days of SWCE are done. But if they want to keep the US events to alternate years there’s no harm in have a European event in some of the off years.

9. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    The ovation when Aubree Miller takes the stage will be deafening.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Chicago did confuse me

star_wars_is_good likes this.
  11. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    Wasnt there a rumor that George Lucas or a museum dedicated to Lucasfilm was gonna be built near or around Chicago and that was why it was chosen?

12. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I think what will happen is they'll figure out when the next US Celebration will be held, whether that's going to be in 2023 or 2025. And then they'll schedule another one in Europe. Like I said, I really don't see them doing four US Celebrations between 2022 and 2027. But there will certainly be three. And then doing an additional one in Europe during that time would also make sense. There's already a strong precedent for that anyhow, so I can see them doing it just for good measure.

Which reminds me, the George Lucas museum in Los Angeles is going to open in the 2023. So that too will add to the demand for any Celebrations happening in Anaheim, since the Lucas Museum wouldn't be that far away (assuming you make sure to drive there when there won't be any traffic). Imagine spending a week doing Celebration, Galaxy's Edge, and the George Lucas museum. Start your fund for that now.

Jedi Knight Fett and ChrisLyne like this.
  13. BrentC007

BrentC007 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 6, 2002
    I wonder if the Star Wars Trading Post they recently opened at Downtown Disney will still be open by Celebration. Obviously a lot of fans will flock to it as a way to buy GE merchandise without having to pay to go to the park.

14. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Yea, that place isn't going anywhere. Even during Covid times, there were 3-4 hour long waits just to go in and browse the store. So I imagine the demand for it will increase for some time after things fully open up again.

BrentC007 likes this.
  15. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Normally I wouldn't be up for annual Celebrations, but after everything, it'd be nice to have them in 2022 and 2023.

Paris also has a Disneyland. Without a SW part, but the money still goes to the same boss. European Celebrations thus far have been UK and Germany. France is a logical next choice.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  16. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The problem with France, as has been said in Celebration discussions before, is that they have a language requirement demanding a set percentage of all programming be in French. I can definitely see how an American company like ReedPop isn't keen on doing double programming, and that they would see that as a risk for not attracting enough people who don't speak French (i.e most of Europe).

I am also hesitant about another CE, as much as I would like it. I have a feeling that it is pretty complicated to organize a big convention on another continent, and that the revenue isn't nearly as good as in the US. (less days, less attendants and so on).

If there's going to be four celebrations between 2022 and 2027 I can't see myself going to all of them, I will have to start choosing.

17. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I could see Europe (if they do it) going back to London or Essen. Wasn't Amsterdam the big rumour for the next Europe event before they announced they were skipping 2018?

I could easily see 4 events from 2022-2027

2022 - August in Anaheim (delayed 2020 event, 20th AOTC, Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, Andor, Mando, etc.)
    2023 - July in Europe or August in US (40th ROTJ, Rogue Squadron 1st trailer/BTS, more Disney+ shows, might be last event for Mando)
    2025 - April in US (2025 movie teaser, 20th ROTS, 10th TFA - OH MAN I FEEL OLD!)
    2027 - April in US (50th Anniversary, 2027 movie teaser, 10th TLJ)

2023 is the biggest question mark as it would be back to back events if they have it in the US. If they're going to do a European event I think that will be the one. I can see arguments for both Europe and US for that one.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  18. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    .There is gonna be way too much content for them to only do a 3 day event overseas. 5 days is ideal..

ChrisLyne likes this.
  19. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    Considering they did the 30th anniversary of ROTJ in 2012 and not 2013, I’m not giving hope that they won’t make 2022 be the 40th anniversary of ROTJ and 20th anniversary of AOTC and call it a day

BrentC007 and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  20. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    They are gonna have the 42nd anniversary of TESB ( Was gonna be the 40th in 2020) to contend with...

21. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I think Rogue Squadron would (for LFL) be the biggest driver of a 2023 event, 40th of Jedi would be a a bonus. I guess if we get 40th ROTJ merch for pre-order when tickets go back on sale we'll know they're not doing 2023 :D

That actually gives me another thought - I wonder what they'll do about merchandise pre-orders since so many people have tickets already. I'm sure they'll find a way to offer it to existing ticket holders as I can't see them wanting to miss out on those sales.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  22. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    They probably want to wait for the upcoming seasons of the Disney+ shows before announcing what the merch is going to be for Celebraton. Who knows what will be revealed in those seasons that they will want to capitalize on for Celebration merch.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  23. StarWarsFan1997

StarWarsFan1997 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    I can’t imagine how I’d be able to get on a ride in GE during a SW convention - it’s already hard enough getting a boarding group for Rise of the Resistance.

24. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't think a wish to get more people to GE is a reason to have Celebrations in Orlando and Anaheim, they get enough visitors as it is. It might be a perk for Celebration though that many people might plan to do both, if they had planned to do Disney anyway.

25. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I absolutely think it is. Especially when you can add a night event and sell tickets for that. The rabid fans probably buy more merch too.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021