main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CJ25 Star Wars Celebration (social thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Apr 16, 2017.

1. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    Well, most celebrities lean heavily left so I imagine their vaccination rate is quite a bit higher than the overall rate in the US.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  2. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Let's just hope the whole virus mess is over by May, so everyone can have fun and not worry.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That works unless some new variant emerges where the current vaccines are less able to prevent illness.

4. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Sure, but if that happens Celebration will be cancelled.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
  6. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    One thing is for sure..Overnight queuing is pretty much not gonna happen...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    That has nothing to do with COVID.

8. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    Wrll with Covid, they sure aren't gonna bring it back...

9. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    People in a crowded space at night isn't any riskier than people in a crowded space during the day. It's either safe to have a bunch of people at an event or it isn't. A socially distanced event like this is impossible. I know based on your previous posts you're not a believer vaccines are the road map to normalcy, but to have cons back that's what it takes (in fact they're already happening with the near normalcy we know and that should only improve over time). If a new variant emerges that escapes vaccines then we'll cross that bridge when we get there, but hopefully that day never comes. My gut feeling is Celebration will happen in May and it will be the normal event we are used to.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  10. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    Yes, let's have a positive attitude! but, one thing, Is anyone curious about why there are SO many "variants" of this virus? this has never happened before unless conditions were perfect for it. What conditions can anyone think of, in a scientific manner, that would produce so many variants every time things started getting better? strange, don't you think? But, I will believe we will all be having fun next year!

11. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    Viruses evolve over time?

12. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    https://www.statnews.com/2021/01/14/how-coronavirus-mutates/

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Amon_Amarth likes this.
  13. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
  14. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    DV88, what I meant was the virus's are "evolving" too fast, as soon as a population starts doing well and numbers drop, something else pops up to instill fear. Look at history, if this virus had been natural in origin, there would've been huge loses of life recorded in the past. all over the place, like Bubonic plague. but this virus seems to have sentience and a mind of it's own!. I saw a show on Discovery Channel years ago about the Plague, 2 things were recorded, in the Middle ages, when the Plague was rampant, there was a town, I think in England that totally isolated it's self from the infected "outside", non of the populace got sick or died. then, there was a doctor, I forgot where, who was trying to treat plague victims, he was immune, as a couple others were, amazing! However, what is going on now seems to be "very intelligent".

15. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I think conventions will return to normal by next year. And really, by that time, people will have to decide for themselves if they are comfortable attending or not. The event itself shouldn't have to cater to those who might still be uncomfortable.

That said, I could see certain celebrities wanting to maintain distancing and sanitizing measures just for the sake of it, and even if they are vaccinated. Especially the older celebrities. Because they are the ones putting themselves out there and will be in direct contact with multitudes of people.

darthvader88 likes this.
  16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The flu virus mutates as well but everyone isn't jumping on that fact as it doesn't seem to kill as many people as Covid. I know the UK tweaks it's flu shot every year to take those mutations into account.

http://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/inactivated-flu-vaccine

Amon_Amarth and ChrisLyne like this.
  17. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Or choose just to do this for @ChrisLyne.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  18. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Love you too [face_laugh]

19. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    This gives me some hope that he could come to Celebration so that I can address the Olyphant in the room.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  20. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    What do you think the chances are that George Lucas would ever sit for autographs at the 50th anniv. of Star Wars? I know that's several years away, we are all getting older,(esp. George) but maybe the chance he may want to do it sooner? Maybe appear and sign at a smaller con.? I always thought about this.

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I think a lot would depend on his health as he is currently 77 years old.

22. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    0%

23. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I think there is zero chance of that happening. But I’d love to be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I think if he did do it any fees he collected would go into one of his charitable causes. I can't see him doing it for personal gain.

25. JonSB

JonSB Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 20, 2018
    Happy belated Father's Day SWIG!