main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CJ25 Star Wars Celebration (social thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Apr 16, 2017.

1. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I still have SWC and Disney Star Wars Nite tickets, just praying the travel restrictions are lifted by then.

Being positive, I'm sure things will be "normal" by then (heck, I'm still clinging on to my Broadway tickets for a show reopening in 2 weeks in the hope there's a last minute change), it's just that this year has taught me not to count my chickens before they hatch as I never dreamed we'd still be in this situation a year ago.

2. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I always think it's good to count the number of eggs you have so that you have a rough estimate of the number chickens you'll have. It's better to be overprepared than to later find out you don't have adequate barn space.

BrentC007 and Padme501st like this.
  3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    We're honestly on the fence about Celebration still happening. In case it isn't we've been thinking of a back up plan. We might go just say to hell with it and go to the Bahamas or something.

BrentC007 and star_wars_is_good like this.
  4. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    If it doesn't happen (and I think it will with NYCC going ahead this year) then we still have the Disney World trip we should be going on next week rescheduled for next Christmas and New Year so we still have something planned.

5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Don't hesitate to hit me up via PM if any of you decide you aren't going to Celebration and might have an extra badge available.

6. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    If anybody is interested.

Also, buying a badge makes you eligible for returning registration for 2023. Which is genius, because soooo many people will buy a badge now even if they can't go, just to get into returning registration for SDCC. I might.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    Padme501st and ChrisLyne like this.
  7. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I saw a great panel this weekend with Sam Witwer and Matt Lanter.

I've done two cons now with a mask mandate in place and they went well. They make the cosplay photos a little weird, but people did a good job following the rules. If that's the price to pay for having cons right now, it's a small one. It felt great to be back at cons again.

8. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    ChrisLyne and Amon_Amarth like this.
  9. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    San Diego Comic-Con Special Edition is finally confirmed, though no details yet. I wasn't considering it initially, but hearing how well behaved everyone was at DragnCon, plus the vaccine requirement, I'll try and get the tickets.

star_wars_is_good likes this.
  10. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
  11. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Hayden with plexiglass:

ChrisLyne likes this.
  12. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Looks more like a prison meet-up than a fan meet and greet.

13. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I think it works pretty well considering the circumstances.

14. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I always figure at least a handshake is included in the price. Hamill did it.

Like I'm not trying to rip on it, it just seemed really anticlimactic watching that couple approach the plexi-glass only to say hi from a couple feet away and then turn and take a picture.

15. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    He didn't do it during a global pandemic.

16. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I feel like there’s more of an interaction than some photo ops back in the day. I’ve seen where you barely get a hi cause they cattle you through so fast. Idk I may be biased but I thought Hayden really made it special, all things considering

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  17. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Right.

My only point is that meeting an actor like this during a global pandemic isn't worth the price for what you get out of it. I guess only time will tell if that ever returns to normal.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  18. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I disagree. @Padme501st and I had great experiences with Ashley and Jim Cummings a couple weekends ago.

Padme501st likes this.
  19. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    One thing I can say (and I may have just been lucky) but every interaction I’ve had in photo ops and table interactions with celebrities during the pandemic, they have all gone above and beyond to make it special, even with social distancing and masks

20. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    It was fun hanging out with some of the cast at early Celebrations like Jay and Warwick. There were considerably fewer folks at those cons though. So it might be more worthwhile to try and catch the cast at smaller events.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  21. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Cool beans.

I guess even under the best of circumstances, those meet and greets still might not turn out the way you expected. So if the actors are really putting forth the effort to make the experience special, then it's up to the attendee to decide if it's worth it.

Padme501st and JonSB like this.
  22. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    SWisG, it looks like his agent was nowhere in sight, How long did you have to speak and take the picture? this does remind me of past cons. except everyone is standing. it looks like a very nice experience despite the circumstances. I wonder how much it had costs for the photo op?

23. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    I know Giancarlo Esposito came and shook my hand when I got my Photo Op with him at GalaxyCon..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

24. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    In Chicago, so before the pandemic, we were strictly instructed for the Paul Bettany photo op that we were not allowed to touch him. He put his arms on the shoulders of the fan, but no handshakes or anything like that.

Padme501st likes this.
  25. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I've heard of a few instances where those types of instructions are in place, some where the celebrity follows them and some where they don't seem to care, so I'm always curious whether they come from the celebrity themselves, and they sometimes decide they don't mind on the day, or if they maybe come from their management teams and the celebrity just ignores them completely all the time.

darthvader88 likes this.