main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CVI Star Wars Celebration VI Aug 23-26 2012

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Grand Admiral Strife, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Baco_Sapan

Baco_Sapan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2010
    lol, everyone at the McDonald's was like "OMG! A werewolf Jedi! Awesome!" lol. And then when I started making my order the guy at the desk was really cool and just asking me about the convention in general.

I also think that if they do have it in 2012 that they're may be a chance they have it overseas. Which I already know I would not be able to attend. Far to expensive. But I guess we'll see.

2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Well, I think if there is one either in Europe or Australia, there will probably also be one in the US around the same time (like they did in 2007).

3. chewbaccachris34

chewbaccachris34 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2010
    Im hoping that its not in Orlando again. If they do decide to have it in Orlando, then hopefully not in the summertime. The humidity was an issue, even at 5pm waiting to get in. I liked California for CIV, my first celebration, cept the plane ride from WNY to Los Angeles is torture (6 hrs)

4. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    //waits for a Dingo reply

5. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Just thought I'd tell everyone , the New and better and BIGGER Indianpolis convintion center open officially today. It's now listed as the 16 th largest in the USA and the biggest in the Midwest. CVI? I'm just praying.

6. Loseytwin12

Loseytwin12 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 14, 2010
    That'd be great in Indy

7. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Just like to say that I've deliberately not replied to this for 2 weeks just because.

8. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I enjoyed the Orlando area--very much--during Celebration V. Even the humidity was tolerable! (This may be because I'm from the West Coast.) I hope that Celebration VI will be held in 2013 (if there is one!) either in Indianapolis or Los Angeles. Both locations (despite what was said about the Celebrations) were excellent. As for the people saying (Let's have it in 2012", there are things that should be considered.

1. People will have more time to save money for CVI if it's held in 2013.
    2. You must consider the appearance (or possible appearance) of celebrities. It may be difficult for the celebrities that showed up before to show up AGAIN, on such short notice. Location, schedules, travel (especially for those overseas)and planning all have an impact.
    3. To have the Convention in the Midwest would mean that more fans could attend.

Remember the Indianapolis conventions, and the Star Wars Auto Show? Boba Fett (Rocketman) in LA, as well?

9. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I was at the last two Celebrations, but I am not sure I will attend if it is in Indiana.
    Coming from Europe, I need to justify making it an actual vacation and there is not a whole lot to do in Indiana.

I would sort of prefer to have it back in Los Angeles, but I think, that the number of attendees despite the late announcement and the location on the east coast proves, that Orlando was a good choice.
    And even though I would personally prefer to have it in LA, then there is a lot more to do in Orlando for people wanting to be tourists.

10. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    Indianapolis is my first choice - the downtown location is just so convenient, and I'd say that even if I wasn't only 5 hours away. Food, hotels... Almost everything there is walkable, with a wide variety of choices.

Los Angeles was quite nice too, and I wouldn't mind going back: Most of my beefs with CIV could be cleared up with a different hotel choice, plus all the additions since '07. And it's definitely worth a few extra days to explore.

I'd take either over Orlando in a heartbeat.

11. Beretta911

Beretta911 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    I believe a few months back I heard Steve Sansweet say on the Forcecast that the next Celebration no matter where it is, will be in the spring, and if memory serves he was thinking May.

So that tells me, if we don't hear anything official about Celebration 6 in the next couple of months, I would think we could safely rule out 2012.

And as a side note....I've been to the last 3 Celebrations and despite the fact I had to fly from Washington state to Florida, I would push very hard for it to be in Orlando again.

But the bottom line is this, wherever C6 is; I will be there.

12. dante144

dante144 Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    Orlando!!! It is a nice 55 degrees right now!!

Yes Orlando! A thousand times, yes!

13. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    Having C6 in May is sort of keeping with the traditional date--the release date for Episode 4 (the original release) in 1977. CII through CIV were kept within those date parameters. I do hope that this will continue; it will give everyone time to save money and plan well in advance.

I also hope that LA and Indianapolis will be considered for C6. I thoroughly enjoyed Orlando, even though I'm also from Washington State--long travel time! When I attend the Celebrations, I go for the Celebration itself--I don't really consider other attractions in the area. I'll leave that for another trip.

Money does not come too easily these days--so, I spend my time concentrating on the Celebration activities. I do hope, however, that an appropriate time and place will be picked so that as many fans as possible can attend C6.

14. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    +1. It's Celebration all the time for my wife and I when we go.

15. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I don't know if you guys are writing in response to my previous message, but if so, then I would just like to say, that during Celebration I am also 100% at Celebration and what ever fanevents goes on at in the evening.

However the time before Celebration begins and after it ends is an other matter. And to people coming from abroad it could mean choosing between this and a summervacation, so if the two could be combined by having it at a location, where there is also things to do and experience beyond Celebration, then I am all for it.

I have heard from people going to Celebration III in Indiana that the place had very little to offer in terms of turism experiences.

16. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    If it's in Indy, you could always plan on renting a car and driving to another close-by city like Chicago or Nashville and doing your vacation stuff there.

17. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    That's true! When I was there for C II and III, I had to walk 6 blocks to a CVS drugstore to pick up some disposable cameras at a lower price than the hotels were offering. (Note: The light bulb came on, now I have a Kodak EasyShare--no more disposables!)

I stayed at the Marriott with the skyway--both times. There was only one restaurant, and boy--was it EXPENSIVE!!

Los Angeles, on the other hand, (unless you rented a car or drove your own) was also limited--unless you took in Sea World in San Diego or Disneyland in Anaheim. Those are some distance away from the Convention Center.

18. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    I wasn't that bummed not going to Celebration V when I heard where it was, but I was still bummed. Celebrations are the only conventions that interest me- I don't get many opporitunities to costume. If I could, I'd SO go to the next one.

As far as locations go, what about holding CVI in San Francisco? Lots of stuff to see and do, plus it's right next to the redwoods where they filmed 'Jedi' and right next to Lucasfilms' headquarters. And then there's always the chance you could run into the Mythbusters. ;)

Just my two credits.

19. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Reed_Close_To_Celebration_VI_Announcement_137410.asp

WHAT? Now? You wouldn't think it would still be this year... if it is, it is kinda late in the year for everyone to request off for vacations, etc.

"you might find the host city a real surprise."

What is that supposed to mean? Indy again? :D

What about Cleveland? [face_laugh]

20. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    It will not be this year.

Steve Sansweet said back in October that when the announcement was made it would be at least one year in advance.

I would like to point out that 8 weeks from today (the date of the blog post) is May 25th, Star Wars Day.

I think it's a safe bet the convention date will be between May 25th 2012 and August 20th 2012. As for a surprise city.... I'd like to say Dallas with the new Irving Convention Center, but I need to scope the place out in May at Dallas Comic Con before committing to that guess.

21. elusiveone

elusiveone Jedi Youngling

Mar 31, 2011
    Elusive has entered the building!

Its got to be London.......its been such a long time since Celebration Europe.
    Perhaps they could run one on both sides of the pond like before?

As a guess for the US.....could it be San-Francisco?

Cheers
    Elusiveone

22. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    My bet is the "surprise city" is just a coy play on words by Lance and we'll all be gathering back in Orlando for C6.

Think about it for a sec: If C6 is in fact held in 2012, SW fans are in for one HELL of an amazing next 12 months or so.

23. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I dont understand why they would not have in it the Newly reconstructed Indianapolis Convention center witch is the largest in the midwest now and 16th in the USA. Indy I tell ya,INDY!

24. gandalfbmg

gandalfbmg Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2002
    I'm taking this a step further and thinking this is all a setup for a big April Fool's joke... that tomorow there'll be a story on here about how it'll be in Kalamazoo in November, and there will be much rage...

I'll be a bit disappointed if they are moving it up for the 3D release of Episode I over the 30th anniversay of ROTJ... I think the later is FAR more worthy of celebration... That and I was kinda planning on having until 2013 to get the finances in order...

25. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    I hope that it's back in the same spot as C5. That convention center was awesome. Plenty of room and a really nice area in general. I didn't even mind the heat. I was in the convention center from morning to evening anyway.