main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Clone Wars comics (Dark Horse) questions + discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by revan772, Feb 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    So I just started reading those old Dark Horse Star Wars Clone Wars graphic novels (I am reading a lot more Dark Horse stuff, they are sooo good.) and really enjoy them! I do not see enough discussion about them, though I see a lot of discussion about the micro series.

I also had some questions about the series. On Jabiim, is this the same super rainy planet as in CW Micro series, where it rained constantly, Anakin and Obi-Wan held out in, and where Cody appeared?

Speaking of the micro series, where do these comics and the series fit in with each other? I can only presume one does not come before the other, and they have stories that take place within each other. Is there a timeline anyone has for which event takes place where?

Also the Ventress part at the end was really cool. I thought she was terrifying in this series, as opposed to the microseries and TCW. The Gungan zombies were awesome too! My main question here is what do you guys think happened to her at the end, after the went into the unknown? And more importantly what happened to my boy Alpha? I am really hoping he is okay, though I am scared we will never get an answer. Though I do remember a part in the young reader Boba Fett books where he saw Ventress's ship, I think this was mentioned on a forum or in a video too, but was this just retconned to not be her or some kind of continuity error? Or was she back in the fight? I was always confused here.

Also if this needs to be moved to another existing thread, I am fine with that. I just wanted to discuss this series, even if I am over ten years late. :p

2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Never too late to discuss the classics! I'm glad you're enjoying the Dark Horse Clone Wars comics. On to your questions:

As far as I know that's not Jabiim. I can't remember if the planet was named in the micro-series, it's been a while since I've re-watched it (and that reminds me, it may be a good idea to marathon the movies and the micro series in preparation for Solo ;))

Some comic issues take place before the micro series, some take place concurrently and some even reference each other, as well as the novels. Have a look at this site, it may help with the timeline (although note that it has TCW stuff as well...):
    http://www.starwarstimeline.net/Riseoftheempire.htm

I'd like to think that Ventress disappeared for good and went her own way. I found her ending in the comics to be very satisfactory and while there is room for more stories with her, I don't think they are necessary. Alpha's story was also left unresolved IIRC, but maybe they brought him back to Coruscant to heal after Ventress was dropped off wherever she wanted to go?

Keep reading!

3. revan772

Aug 5, 2014
    Yeah, Ventress I felt had a great ending. I am mostly worried for one of the coolest clones who got stabbed in the back lol. I wish the series could have continues, or another DH series to go further into Alpha and his story. :)

kalzeth likes this.
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    My personal favorite comprehensive timeline for the original Clone Wars multimedia project has always been the one used by this site, which was far more on the ball than TPTB in its willingness to simply split it and TCW's timeline into different versions. I haven't bothered to get a new one since 2011, but I assume it's still basically what you're looking for.

5. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    The Dark Horse Clone Wars comics were great. There was some continuity between them and the microseries, too. The first 20 episodes of the series took place 4 month after Geonosis(before TCW muddled the issue, that is), and the first few of the Republic and Jedi issues take place before them. I don't think that rainy planet in the microseries was ever named, but I'm also fairly sure it was not intended to be Jabiim.

I may be in the minority here, but I really liked Durge in those comics. He was so over the top and had some great lines. Ventress was also a lot more interesting than she was in TCW. And Quinlan Vos was a big thing back then, even though not everyone liked him.

And I will never, ever stop thinking that the original Clone Wars timeline and TCW should be separate things. The original multimedia project had an internal consistency based upon a 36-month timeline. It was not perfect, but it generally worked. Forcing TCW upon it butchers it. All those stories which show Anakin as a padawan, some of which span weeks, simply cannot be squeezed into the first few weeks of the war. Obsession also doesn't work with TCW.

kalzeth, Jedi Ben, JediBatman and 4 others like this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I was once buried alive—for 60 years! If that didn't kill me… if the Sith and the Mandalorians and the Bloodboilers of Kragis couldn't kill me—then you will not kill me!"

KamNale, kalzeth, JediBatman and 6 others like this.
  7. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Obi-Wan: You're insane, Durge!
    Durge: You have no idea.

Anakin: This is the last time we face each other(or something to that effect)
    Durge: You stole my line.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  8. revan772

Aug 5, 2014
    Aside from the micro series, I had a Durge action figure as a kid. I loved using him in the battles against the clones, and everytime we beat him he just came back. Just a really interesting and unique characters.

I also agree about Ventress, I liked her in TCW but these comics do her sooo much justice. She killed so many Jedi and proved herself time after time.

kalzeth likes this.
  9. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    In TCW, Ventress starts as the cool assassin like she was in the multi media project, and eventually turns into a (more or less) late 00s Twilight inspired teen fan fiction character.

SilentGuy66 and kalzeth like this.
  10. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    They pretty much retconned the previous backstory.

I think the novels and comics did a better job of showing the brutality and costs of the war better than the TCW show.

Of course the Lucas CGI show did a better job of developing Anakin and had Death Watch.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    kalzeth and revan772 like this.
  11. revan772

Aug 5, 2014
    So something else that confused me (I am slow at reading lol) did Finis Valorum die in that explosion? I just got to that part, and went to check the wikia but it did not have a date of death. Is this because TCW had him in it after these events, and he was meant to die, or did he somehow make it out? I always really liked Finis, and especially his friendship with Adi Gallia. It was one of the most real feeling friendships in Star Wars imo.

kalzeth likes this.
  12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    In the EU? Considering Palpatine used his death to pass more legislation, I would figure that he'd make sure that Valorum was truly dead. He never appeared again in any other EU works, to my knowledge.

The Clone Wars cartoon's timing in relationship with the EU was always a mystery. Chee promised everything would be resolved once the show was over, and I guess he kept his promise. Sort of. :p

Gharlane, kalzeth and Nom von Anor like this.
  13. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    The intent of the comic was for Valorum to die. Then TCW happened.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

14. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    That's the impression I got from that issue - Valorum dies. That issue is very chilling, especially because of that. You thought that Palpatine was evil? Just in case you forgot, here is a reminder of him ordering the deaths of dozens if not hundreds of innocent civilians, just so the Sith can cover their tracks.

It is issues like the one with Valorum and the one with Senator Viento's assassination that keep you at the edge of your seat and prove (to me at least) that one can read the Republic comics without having seen or read anything other than TPM and AOTC, and experience a very captivating, emotional, action packed thriller set in Star Wars without spoiling anything that is to come in ROTS, the OT and beyond.

15. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    The degree to which the politics was fleshed out in Republic made the series very well-rounded.

16. revan772

Aug 5, 2014
    Wow. That was really cold. Palps, Dooku, and really all the acolytes in this series get really dark. And I love it.

spicer and kalzeth like this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, it was in those Republic stories that start the idea that the Empire is forming covertly due to the influence of the Clone Wars.

18. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I feel like we were sort of left hanging with the fate of Ventress, but I'll admit the end of Obsession was a good end to her character arc.

Not to mention (IIRC), we see a Twi'lek saying goodbye to her (presumably) husband as he boards the transport, and then when the transport expodes we see a panel of her terrified/grieving expression. Chilling is right.

19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It's actually even worse than that - we find out later on that Valorum was actually killed by an Anzati assassin, meaning Palpatine blew up the transport just so it wouldn't be obvious that he was murdered (as opposed to a freak accident).

20. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I'd forgotten about that part, though I think it was more to cover her tracks than to pretend it was a freak accident. Palpatine uses the shuttle explosion as an excuse to pass an enhanced security act, and one of the Senators calls it "an act of sabotage" and "terrorism".

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  21. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    The Holonet News in Insider 73 had a piece about the unveiling of a Valorum monument. Only 200 people showed up.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Vthuil and revan772 like this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, what happened to those 200? [face_devil][face_skull]

23. revan772

Aug 5, 2014
    Finis truly had a sad later part of his life. Poor guy.

I wonder if Adi showed up or if they were not as close then?