main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars: Crimson Reign

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthTalgus, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Interesting -- it seems that Darth Vader #18 and Bounty Hunters #18 come after this issue, but that Star Wars #24 comes before it. Will have to do a re-read of the series post-BotBH.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    darthbernael likes this.
  2. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    There is definitely a contradiction - because in the end of the War of the Bounty Hunters Vader and Palpatine already knew that Crimson Dawn is planning something big and the latter send the former to hunt it down. But here they only found out about it from Barsha.

Overall decent, but this issue, IMO, lacked major reveals and kept things too vague - what is the purpose of hourglass-like artefact? Does Palpatine consider Maul being dead? And speaking of the latter - hope that at least in The Hidden Empire it will become clear what was the nature of his relationship with Qi'ra.

Wonder if chaos, caused by Crimson Dawn's agents, will be retconned to be one of the major reasons why Palpatine let the Contingency happen, although his spirit survived the Endor - there was no reason in trying to save the Empire that was already compromised on so many levels. Maybe Vardos, despite its pro-Imperial facade, was really full of Crimson Dawn spies.

3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    All I know about that place the Knights of Ren went is that it has something to do with Momin. I just read Fortress Vader and those things were something in Momin's past.

4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Oh man, now I want the parasite queen to return.

I mean, I know this whole crossover plot is crowded enough as it is, but still...

JediFett10 likes this.
  5. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    The scene with Palpatine and Vader hypothesising which previous Sith trained Qi’ra was nicely done.

Though I must say I didn’t love this event any more than the previous. I’m not big on crossovers at the best of times, but this felt like a lot of wheel spinning. Rather than make this the big show stopper that effects all the other titles they probably should have just given Soule a Knights of Ren series that he can do off in his own little corner.

6. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Yeah, this really felt like wheel-spinning. Maybe setting the stage, to be a bit more charitable. But not much more than just introducing the central concept (which we knew from WOTBH) and the cast of characters, which is a shame. Didn't feel like an "event" series at all since very few events even occurred.

The idea itself remains fascinating and has so much potential. Hopefully Hidden Empire capitalizes on it.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  7. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    I'm curious about that statue/monster thingies the Knights fought, since the big one also appeared on Soule's Vader run (it was one panel during the flashback to Momin's life, and it was shown in the context of the many dark side locations/shrines he visitedl). Soule's pretty good with that sprinkling of breadcrumbs on earlier works that pay off later.

As with WothBH I find all of this crossover kinda of a waste of time. I find hard to believe how so many people would join a ruthless, barbaric crime sindicate by thousands and infiltrate pretty all of the galaxy for... what exactly? What's their motivation? [\spoiler]

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

8. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Both greed and dissatisfaction with their place in the system.

AusStig and JediFett10 like this.
  9. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Well, at least poor Bazzra got to curse one last time. We are two knights down; the missions they are getting from Qi`ra... understandable if they decide to go after her next, honestly.

Foreign32567 likes this.
  10. beetzello

beetzello Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 17, 2002
    Shadowy imperial guy in issue #5:
    Sinjir?

The mention of the imperial security bureau seems like a clue. Though his characterization seems a little off compared to how I envisioned him in the Aftermath books. However, if it is him, I totally get why he has to act all professional and stuff in front of the two big wigs.

Nevertheless, I understand that I might be stretching here - not sure how a character goes from being called Barsha to Sinjir. Though I am intrigued! Can't wait to October for the Hidden Empire!

11. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    It would be interesting if it were
    Gideon. But only if Gideon is an agent of the Crimson Dawn, otherwise its all rather lackluster in the end, long term since we know what happens.

Issue 5 was really so-so, soon as it started to get interesting it ended. Its nice that its confirmed by the realization of both Vader and the Emperor much to their chagrin that Maul taught her Teras Kasi, which according to the Emperor is by itself is arcane, and combined that with Sith Combat secrets - among other Sith secrets - as she is one instrument of his revenge against them(the Sith).[/quote]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  12. beetzello

beetzello Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 17, 2002
    As a fan of the Archivist, I liked the cliffhanger they gave for her. I thought that was effective, having Qi'ra remove and destroy the earpiece, and us not knowing if she did that to strand the Archivist and cut her off, or if it was some sort of safety valve to erase the trail to her in case Imperials investigate. I am very curious to see what happens to the Archivist next, I hope she is a character that survives past the battles of Endor and Jakku.

Foreign32567 likes this.
  13. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Although it can be fun, hope that Hidden Empire will not feature Momin's second resurrection.

14. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Im thinking it will have something to do with something he created or some lore he learned from a even older sith

15. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Maybe. I just hope that Qi'ra's undoing will not be because using this artifact will corrupt her/ make her a pawn of its creator's will, a too banal plot twist do not want her repeating the fate of the Illusive Man in ME3

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  16. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    So, Qira is going to war with Vader. We know Vader can't lose, because we obviously KNOW how he goes down and have since 1983. Many Vader-centric comics also end with Corleone-esque massacres of everyone who cheesed him off over the course of the run, so... anybody else getting the feeling Qira is not long for this galaxy?

And somehow, that stunted slime DJ lives on...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  17. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014

Yea, I thought the issue was good individually but as the end of an event? Not so much. It felt more like just a prologue to Hidden Empire. As for Qira yea, as interesting as she might be, I don't think we'll see her post-ROTJ on screen for instance.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    Hamburger_Time likes this.
  18. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Plus, what the heck is
    Xizor
    up to, I wonder...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    AusStig likes this.
  19. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Probably monitoring the situation before making a decisive move. Really hope that this time he is going to outlive Vader.

AusStig likes this.
  20. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Yea, I'm really hoping Hidden Empire is good. This seemed too much of 5 standalone issues.