main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Deluxe Smuggler’s Guide by Dan Wallace

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sith Iratus, May 31, 2018.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Ooooooh.

An Old One crosses the continuity divide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    It Leaves me questions about how much Maz knows

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What does the text cut off on the left say? Does it suggest a connection between Typhojem and Tryphon Leo?

4. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    Tryphon Leo uses coordinates from Maz to try to set up a new trade network (toll Routes) but crimson dawn is very active in the area so he keeps his mouth shut about traveling to the Shrove of the Left Handed God Typhojem Han's comment implies that Leo dies as Han tells chewie "You Said it Chewie Some people are dead set on getting themselves killed "

5. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Apologies to everyone about the delay in shipping. Apparently the delay involved a cargo barge held up in a Los Angeles port, but that seems to be over. I got my copies the other day, so people should be getting their preorders shortly.

Lots of references to chew on (like Typhojem), as always! I try to avoid these books turning into reference parties—I invent tons of new material, and “getting” the references in the book is never required to follow the narrative.

But as I’ve said elsewhere, the new Star Wars canon seems basically like “let’s put on a show,” but set in a theater with boxes and boxes of props and costumes and backdrops. So if you know the ins and outs of Star Wars lore, I guarantee you’ll get some meta-enjoyment out of the Smugglers Guide.

Hopefully we can avoid a General Draven situation this time. But I did notice one painful typo last night. I won’t mention it here, it’ll be obvious.

6. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    Long live Daniel Wallace!

7. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Dan, were this book and Rebel Files planned even prior to the continuity reboot? I notice they continue the trend of the four pre-reboot in-universe reference books for the setting's major factions.

8. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    No, we took a break of a couple years around the time of the reboot, and returned to the series with Rebel Files which was always planned to be part of the new continuity.

9. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I loved it when you took the term "Alderaanian gunship" (ROJ novelisation, HTTE Sourcebook) and applied it to Alderaanian-crewed DP20 gunship/frigates. That had been my reasoning for years too.

10. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Thanks! There was a line about Kesselian gunships in there too. Basically was just me, as a fan, wanting to scratch an itch I’ve had since the ‘80s.

11. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. Say, another question related to your work I've wanted to ask you: how much of The Essential Characters was done before the reboot, and is there any way to get the information out there somehow? Always did want to read that; love your stuff!

kalzeth likes this.
  12. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Most of it; I think I had maybe 80% of the entries written, but they were in VERY rough first-draft shape and in need of some serious editing and rewriting.

13. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Wow, thanks for the reply! Think there'd be any way to release the info, if only unofficially like with Cult/Supernatural Encounters?

14. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    The release date listed on Amazon fell my birthday yesterday. What a great birthday present! Thanks, Mr. Wallace! I'm happy to see themes from Han Solo: A SW Story continued.

I've considered hoarding first editions of The Jedi Path.

Hamburger_Time likes this.
  15. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    I doubt it, unfortunately. For starters I'd be paranoid about violating an old NDA or at least breaching confidentiality norms in some way; I'm a better safe than sorry kinda guy. But also because I never finished the manuscript, meaning I never polished it and I could never release raw, first-draft stuff into the wild because the cringe would be so strong it would swallow the solar system.

Thanks! Solo was the conceptual hook behind the Smugglers Guide, but as you've seen the scope ended up going far beyond the events of that movie. There are bits & pieces from Solo scattered throughout the book, however.

16. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    That's very understandable. Thank you for your reply. Are you allowed to at least discuss what characters were in it? We've seen Jaden Korr's illustration, and I feel like I can guess some others just based on prominent characters since 2002 - Ahsoka, Grievous, Ventress, Cade, Zane, Revan, Lomi Plo (who still seems to have no actual pictures), etc. etc. etc. - but having a complete list of new material would be nice for posterity's sake.

Sinrebirth and kalzeth like this.
  17. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    @Hamburger_Time don't forget Admiral Traest Kre'fey!

@Dan Wallace I miss my favourite Kre'fey. Would've he had an entry in the Essential Characters and possible picture?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Sinrebirth and kalzeth like this.
  18. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    We really do need a Lomi PLO illustration!!!

Hamburger_Time and Sinrebirth like this.
  19. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Just now starting Rebel Files! Any idea when the non-deluxe version will be available for this one?

20. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    I dug up an old outline, which I won’t post for reasons mentioned above, but I can confirm yes to all of the above. One thing we were hoping to do was squeeze in more content with “related sidebars” in the main character entries. So everybody you mentioned above would have received a main character entry except Lomi Plo, who instead was a sidebar in Raynar’s entry.

Don’t know if she would have gotten a pic or not. The sidebars were going to be more in-universe, like news stories, journal entries, etc. (kind of like Rebel Files or Smugglers Guide). We never gave them a visual treatment.

Yes and no. If you’ve seen 2002’s New Essential Guide to Characters, we had a grab-bag Appendix stuffed with miscellaneous characters. Most of them got only a couple sentences and no pic, but a few pics were scattered here and there (one of them was the notorious “Horse Pilot” image if I remember correctly).

Anyway, Kre’fey was slated for the Appendix.

21. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Non-deluxe for Rebel Files is out now. If you mean Smugglers Guide, I think the cycle has been roughly July of the following year?

22. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    @Dan Wallace I just finished Smugglers guide . I thought it was enjoyable . For the Droid Gotra page is their actually any info in the binary code or is it just random combinations of 1s and 0s that amounted to gibberish if u were to run them through a binary to text program as I was trying to translate it just for something to do but cause of my Adhd and other visual learning disabilities I kept losing track of my place as I was inputting the 1s and 0s into my laptop ? Also Im surprised there wasn't anything from Dash Rendar. Was this being worked on at the same time as Tales from Vandor thus u didn't know he was getting Recanonlized or did the thought of even using him cross your mind ? I was kinda hoping there would have been something from Maul or Qi'ra I know Vos had a section and I liked his section but I was kinda hoping that There might have been some minor stuff from maul's Pov of how he established Crimson dawn or Qi'ra's but I guess that was wishful thinking. Finally in Han's final part with the log book and Leia's note at the end was it ur decision not to mention Anything about Ben solo/Kylo ren or did The higher ups tell ya not too ?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  23. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Great info, thank you for sharing although also sad

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  25. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    It’s real binary. Maybe someone else will end up translating. (No secret messages or anything, it’s just Gotra orders.)

I like Dash Rendar but didn’t include him in the book, had too many other characters I guess but looking back I probably could have at least name dropped somewhere.

Maul/Qi’ra material seems like one of those eras that will eventually get fleshed out in a novel or TV series so I intentionally didn’t go deep there.

Ben isn’t mentioned by name in the Han/Leia part, but then again what happened with him colors everything they’re talking about. And Han does say something about how he could have been a better father. But I thought it would be such a painful subject—almost like a tragic death—and that they wouldn’t explicitly bring it up in this context.

kalzeth and JediBatman like this.