main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Deluxe Smuggler’s Guide by Dan Wallace

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sith Iratus, May 31, 2018.

1. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    oh ok thanks for answering

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    @Dan Wallace You had Sorzus Syn mention that the Sith species already had Terentateks, were yet the Dawn of the Jedi comics reveal how the Terentateks began with the Je'daii. Do you have any explanation for this inconsistency in mind?

3. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    I mean it's not really an inconsistency, Dawn of the Jedi isn't canon. It would just be a change.

Daneira and DarthJaceus like this.
  4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    As an old Star Wars nerd who doesn't come much to Lit anymore, I just wanted to say what a fantastic job you did, Dan. I still collect the "guidebooks" in their full editions. Looking forward to more in the future!

5. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i love the final message from leia, shows that she always loved han even when they were separated.

6. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    No, I don't have an explanation in mind. Not that I couldn't develop some theories if needed, but it seems like one of those open-ended continuity avenues with potential to be explored in future works. Admittedly I'm not sure about Dawn of the Jedi source material under the new canon, however some of the "props" from the setting could still get referenced.

Thanks, that means a lot! Even now, I feel like I'm walking in the footsteps of West End Games loremasters like Michael Allen Horne and Paul Sudlow with these things. Animators at Pixar used to talk about how they "sanded the underside of the drawer," meaning that, even if nobody ever looks at the bottom of a drawer after pulling it out, they'd sand that side anyway because that's how they rolled at Pixar. I feel like the thoroughness of Star Wars lore was set at a ridiculously high bar during that WEG era and I've been straining to reach those heights ever since.

Thanks! I knew from the start that was the angle I wanted to convey with for that passage, and that specific section ended up going through multiple hands at Lucasfilm before arriving at the final version. Lots of concern on every side to do right by Han/Leia!

7. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    One last question on Essential Characters if you don't mind, Dan. Would the Old Republic protagonists have been covered? They're obviously important characters, but I can see why one might not want to set down too many concrete details about them.

Sorry I keep mucking up this thread with these questions, but there's no general Dan Wallace thread.

8. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    We didn't have entries for them in the outline. I think the timing was tricky--the game was released at the same time we were nailing down the outline--and as you said, it would be hard to include definitive bios with the game's storyline constantly being updated. I'm sure we would have included details from the game elsewhere, and probably we might have covered some of the characters in the appendix.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Actually there is. It's here but the last post was in 2011 and the thread autolocked. If Dan wants it reopened one of the forum mods could do that and 'up' it for you.

As far as the guidebooks go, I have the Bounty Hunter one in the full edition. I just have the books themselves for the others - not enough room!

DarthJaceus likes this.
  10. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Oh, Dan, I'm reading the Bounty Hunter Code now and I believe I've spotted an error. There are a couple references to Rozatta the Toydarian still being alive in the Imperial era, when Montross actually murdered her prior to the Clone Wars.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Let’s resist the urge to make this the ‘ask Dan about everyone of his works ever’ Thread. It’s for the new work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarthJaceus, Daneira and DarthSienna like this.
  12. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Alright, sorry.

13. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Got this for Christmas and read through it last night, and man, did Dan hit another one out of the park! I especially loved how everyone had their own unique voice. The Master Codebreaker was a particular favorite, he's so full of himself...

Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I got it for Christmas too, and found it hilarious that Lando had it for all of a page before losing it to a thug he tried to deck.
    Han is less than pleased that Lando owned it before him.
    Latts Razzi has her own syndicate now. Interesting, I hope that's developed further. She comes off as rather bratty here, and Han comments that he hopes she came to a bad end.
    Just some of the things I recall off the top of my head.

kalzeth likes this.
  15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've got the book on my Amazon UK list.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    When is the non-Deluxe version out?

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Good question. I can't find the guide on Amazon UK at all and the only listing on the US site is for the deluxe version.

18. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    Not available on Amazon UK :(

19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Mister @Dan Wallace, beautiful sir, do you have any indications of the non-deluxe release date?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  20. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    On a reread of Supernatural Encounters I came across a reference to a young Splendid Ap, not yet in control of his powers over time and space, accidentally creating a mirror universe. Certainly makes this book's rumblings of Typhojem activity (Ap's nephew) in the new continuity pretty interesting, not that they weren't before...

Sinrebirth likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Waterstones now has it, at least. When I look it up on Amazon UK, apparently the release date was 1 July.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, I found it at the local Waterstones last week. It's pretty good.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Yep, got hold of a non-deluxe copy here in the UK last week. It's fantastic; pretty much a Legends reference on every page, and some really surprising stuff recanonized too. It definitely feels like a narrative is being told, even though it's not really a story in the typical sense. I think that's one of the strengths of this kind of book, that it gives the sense of a story while still being, really, a reference book. Master Codebreaker's characterization was great, and I hope that gets carried over into any future material he shows up in.

Great stuff. I hope Dan has more of these in the pipeline.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'm not sure what else they could do. We've had Imperial, Rebel, Bounty Hunters, and Smugglers. Senate/Politicians might be an idea.

ColeFardreamer and Darth_Duck like this.
  25. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    We need a Senate Handbook.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk