main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars: Empire Ascendant #1 (one-shot)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Senpezeco, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Star Wars: Empire Ascendant #1 (one-shot)

Written by Greg Pak, Ethan Sacks, Charles Soule, and Simon Spurrier
    Art by Luke Ross, Roland Boschi, Paolo Villanelli, and Caspar Wijngaard
    Colors by Guru-eFX, Rachelle Rosenberg, Arif Prianto, and Lee Loughridge
    Cover by Riccardo Federici

Available on December 18, 2019
    Pages: 56
    Rated: T
    SRP: $5.99

Publisher's summary:
    DESTINED FOR HOTH!
    • Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia Organa and smuggler Han Solo have have struck blow after winning blow against the Empire. The Rebels are digging in their defenses on the remote ice world of Hoth but how long will they truly be safe from their many enemies?
    • Darth Vader will stop at nothing to crush the rebels but his efforts to locate their new base have been in vain. Will the dark side of the Force guide him to the missing rebels and to young Skywalker or mire the dark lord in the conflicts of his past?
    • Despite a life riddled with treachery and destruction, Doctor Aphra has found a family (of sorts). Former Imperial inspector Magna Tolvan and Aphra's young ward Vulaada will have to face the struggles of a life of rebellionwhile Aphra reckons with her legacy.
    • Former Imperial loyalist turned cyborg bounty hunter Beilert Valance is taking on a dangerous new mission. And the lives of the entire Rebellionincluding his old buddy Han Solo'sare at stake should he fail!

Cover art and unlettered preview pages:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope it is okay that I made a new thread for this instead of posting it in the "Rebels and Rogues" arc thread -- while marketed as a special finale issue for the Star Wars 2015 series, it will also involve characters and narrative strands from the Doctor Aphra series, the Target Vader mini, and the Imperial Cadet mini.

JediFett10 and DarthJaceus like this.
  2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Wonder if Han’s in Ord Mantell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Wonder if the art will be crucified?

Sly442 and Sinrebirth like this.
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Ross and Wijngaard's looks fine, their usual standards. Will have to see more of the others to get a better feel.

5. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Looks like Ematt in the first panel.

6. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I wonder if Hera, Jacen, Zeb and Kallus could appear in the series?

7. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    You mean in the Hoth tunnel? I'm wondering it's Shara and Kes.

Supreme Leader Woke and Wrinty like this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh yeah, it totally is. Same eye scar on Shara, and pretty much same facial hair as Kes. A little on the white side, but not the worst if it's just a cameo.

Wrinty likes this.
  9. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Yep, you two are right. That's Shara and Kes lol now that I look at it.

10. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Hope we get a big briefing scene with tons of cameos, all the people from Twilight Company and Lost Stars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Wonder if Luke Meets up with Aphra's cast cause he feels whatever force weirdness Vader causes when he and aphra mess around in the force realm in Aphra #40

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I just need to have Threepio getting one of his legs painted gold. I'll take 5 pages of it, please, he still only has silver bottom half as of the final issue.

Daneira likes this.
  13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I, too, sometimes hang out in the inhospitable hills of Hoth for a deep talk

Jozgar, BigAl6ft6, Daneira and 5 others like this.
  14. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
  15. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Huh interesting preview. I can't wait. I've been rereading all of the post ANH comics. They've actually done a good job with this time period. It's interesting that this comic is before Echo Base was fully built which mean the mid rim retreat hasn't concluded. I know that's not going to be covered, but I'm happy to see that gap

16. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009
    Is Valance the bounty hunter Han runs into on Ord Mantell?

17. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Nah, this confrontation takes place on Nar Shaddaa.

18. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Yeah, isn’t Hoth supposed to be so cold at night that you can freeze to death from exposure? Not exactly the place to stargaze.

BigAl6ft6 and Daneira like this.
  19. dragonpiece

dragonpiece Jedi Knight

Aug 4, 2014
    In hinsight, I guess it should have been obvious a bounty hunters book was coming, since all these are other stories are lead ins to upcoming series in the timeline.

20. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    It felt like a preview more then a strong conclusion. I enjoyed it, not bad, glad to see which stories are set in between esb and rotj... but it just felt anti clamatic for what they built it up to be imo.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  21. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    1) BABY POE
    2) have we seen that eye patched Rebel officer before? Reminds me of someone but I can't place my finger on it.

22. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    He reminded me of Col Serra from Renegade Squadron. He's the only Rebel I can think of who has an eyepatch.

Darth_Accipiter likes this.
  23. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015
    Looks like there may be a continuity error between this and Shattered Empire.

Luke and Shara meet for the first time in Shattered Empire, where they introduce themselves. Except now, Luke saves her and Kes a full year before Shattered Empire?

It can be hand waved away as an insignificant meeting, I'm sure, but it feels sloppy.

Jedi Daniel, Ventrix and Daneira like this.
  24. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Yeah, I thought this was going to be one huge story, a culmination of everything. Instead it was four separate teaser stories, basically.

Also, I like Aphra as a character, but I'm really getting tired of the framing device of a recording of her being poetic and sad over the action.

25. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    At least in this case it's the same recording; we're just seeing the other characters' reactions to what she recorded in Aphra #40.

revan772 likes this.