main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars: Episode IX - December 20, 2019

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ThreeDeathstickProblem, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Hmmm... Yeah good point. I think the main questions we have left over from TFA will be answered early on and the film will end badly for the heros - Just no bombshells. I guess like the end of AOTC...?

I like May. Even though it's still 1 film a year it feels like more because they have been pulled closer (HS and Ep 9)

2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I had established a Christmas Star Wars viewing tradition with my nephews and nieces (who I visit on the holidays). So this sort of bums me out. Ah well. They can't organize their release schedule around me! Though they should. Seriously.

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I honestly can't tell. I hope Rian does follow the general trend that AOTC and ESB set as middle installments, but I do want to see him do his own thing too.

4. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Ha. I'm the exact opposite. The summer movie season is a total desert for me, followed by a flurry of visits to the cinema in the winter. Takes all kinds!

Though in that context, I suppose it's nice to have one summer movie to look forward to.

Kenobi. December 2019. Confirmed.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  5. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    I'm really torn. On one side, shortening the wait by 6 months is enormous advantage. On the other side, I want IX to have holiday legs. There's a reason why the only 3 movies that ever crossed 2 billion (Titanic, Avatar and TFA) are December releases. Jurassic World is a summer movie that came the closest to that mark (1.6 billion) but still well off.

6. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I really don't find this release date to be set in stone whatsoever. Personally, I think it's a marketing technique implemented so fans don't drift away from the anticipation too too much while knowing full well it is still going to be released in December. With the Han Solo movie being the first anthology that is going to actually deviate from the main story line, and with the gap from the release of the Han Solo movie to this supposed release date of Episode IX, and with no Celebration in 2018 to keep up the momentum, by giving this release date it will ensure that people will still keep their ear to the ground when it comes to anticipating Episode IX. Then, when that time comes, it will be pushed back, ensuring yet another six months of anticipation. December has come to mark releases for the ST with two years in between them, and I don't think they are going to stop that. That's my conspiracy angle.

7. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I get the disappointment that Christmas =/= Star Wars going forward, but on the bright side, the Blu-Ray will be out for each film in time for the Holidays, so Christmas now equals the first home viewing of Star Wars films. That's not so bad. :)

As an aside, I joined these forums 2 years and 7 months ago because of my interest in the Sequel Trilogy, and the first thread topic I've ever created is this one today, announcing the conclusion of the trilogy that brought me here. Something something, the circle is now complete?

8. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I'm torn. I got used to December.

9. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    It's hilarious how quickly we get used to new routines. When they announced the December release date for The Force Awakens, I remember there were some people who were genuinely upset because "Star Wars movies always come out in May!" Now that we've gotten used to Star Wars being a Christmas release rather than a start-of-summer release, we're equally disappointed.

We suck.

10. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    You know that life is going pretty well if the release date of Star Wars 9 makes your list of things to be concerned with.

11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I'd think anyone concerned would be happy it's coming out 7 months earlier than they thought and that there will be 3 movies out in a 17 month span!

Diego Lucas and TheBBP like this.
  12. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I must suck as a fan because release dates have never been a concern for me. Just tell me when it's gonna happen and I am gonna be there. Early.

Avnar likes this.
  13. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Han Solo next year. Episode IX the year after. That is still the case and I'm happy.

14. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    I'm more downbeat because I like the shortened wait but I fully expect a move to December so longer wait once again. Just like what they did with TLJ. Though rumors about 2017 shoot make May date possible. So fingers crossed that comes to pass. Yet, writers strike is looming large so that's going to affect the schedule, no?

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And this concludes our forums. We finally have the answer we've been searching for. I'd like to thank you all for participating, and don't let the blast door hit you on the butt on the way out.

16. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I like the change back to May. I'm too busy around Christmas. Also this means John Williams will write and record the score even earlier in post production.

17. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    If they are willing to shave off $100 million domestic from Ep9 then let them have at it. A4 and SW9 will inevitably rip substantial money from each other that wouldn't have been ripped if they were 6 months apart.

You may be onto something. In all honesty, they may be planning another SW movie that needs more time. This may not be far off but it certainly is rushing things (unless they already have a script or at least story outline).

Putting SW9 against A4 so that they can release a live action fairy tale in the December SW slot seems WAY off.

That or a SW/Avengers cross over movie for 2020!!!![face_laugh]

18. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Search your feelings, young padawans, you know this to be true. May 24 2019 is Episode IX Pt 1 and December 13 2019 is Episode IX Pt 2. :p

19. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
  20. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Hey! Speak for yourself! Well, you can probably speak for millions, but still.

I was a huge fan of the December slot from when it was announced for TFA. For two reasons. 1) I liked the pressure (real or not) it could put on the studio/ directors to produce a film that could compete with high-quality winter films rather than summer blockbusters; 2) I visit my family at Christmas time, and it was a perfect family-bonding opportunity.

So, I don't think I suck. At least not for this reason. I definitely suck for other reasons. As do all of you. You all suck.

I honestly would not be opposed to that. Hate to say it, but I've always felt that most Star Wars movies could use ten or twenty extra minutes. So why not a whole two hours more? :)

21. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Gigoran Monk Since TLJ is already stacked with characters and plots rolling into IX, they could pull an AWE and make it 3 hours or close. It's the last movie. Everyone and their mother will show up to see how it ends. They can afford longer running time if necessary (AWE's wasn't justified).

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  22. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Just add Peter Jackson to the editing team, and you'll get three movies out of it. :)

23. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    With 12 endings. :p

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  24. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I agree on Star Wars also having become part of my recent Christmas and holiday traditions. I think it will stick. I posted above my reasons as to why. So I'm still going with that. And if not, then like TheBBP said, I'll still be there early.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  25. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    The two-part format is a failed idea. That's why Avengers 3 and 4 are not being called Part 1 and Part 2 anymore.

A spin-off Kenobi film (or any other spin off) is no reason to throw SW9 under the bus by putting it within a stone's throw of A4.

And an as of yet untitled fairy tale movie is certainly not the reason to throw SW9 under the bus.

Frozen can come out 5 weeks prior. They did that with Moana. Different genres.

I've not heard of any problems Disney has had with the December releases. Perhaps there's something else to that in terms of cost, but I don't know of anything.

So a spin off, part 2, animated, or live action are all NOT reasons for this move. Nobody wants to come out within 4 weeks of SW. Even Cameron wants nothing to do with a SW competition. Same is true about Avengers and it's owned by the same parent company. One of them WILL move and since they just announced SW9, I'm guessing A4 will be delayed and we will learn that very soon.