main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars Episode IX Trailer!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Leoluca Randisi, Nov 8, 2018.

1. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    My thoughts are a title reveal released online at the end of this month, and the first teaser trailer at Celebration.

TheForceMakesCoffee likes this.
  2. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    All good my friend. My point is that in terms of the next series of films I don’t believe that a lack of John Williams is a big issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    This is where I'm at as well.

RiddleMeThis likes this.
  4. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    If they just reveal the title out of nowhere, I will be worried about their MKT strategy, yet again.

This is not how a title reveal for a SW movie should happen. Not like, this, "oh and by the way, this is the title", out of nowhere.

First they need to start ramping up social media content and buzz about the film, have the director and crew start posting stuff on twitter, some execs giving interviews, paying for Youtube content creators to start the hype machine .... creating an anticipation for the title reveal !

Then post a small 10 second Youtube video teasing the title reveal. Let it go for a week. Hype this thing.

This would be the first "pre-teaser" for the movie.

Then reveal the title.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    2Cleva likes this.
  5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    It isn't?

TFA's titel was revealed by a simple tweet, in which it was announced that the movie had finished principal photography. They didn't even bother to make it about the name. Rogue One's title was announced at a shareholder meeting, TLJ's by a simple report on starwars.com. So far they haven't bothered to make a big deal out of it, so I don't see any reason to assume that something would be wrong if they kept it this way.

Doesn't mean that they won't make a bigger deal out of it this time around, but with three huge successes having their titles released with next to no fanfare, there wouldn't be any reason to worry about the marketing strategy if they just keep doing what they did in the past.

Lomesa, RetropME, Jo Lucas and 4 others like this.
  6. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Does it really matter how a title is revealed, though? I mean, is anyone not going to see a movie just because the movie's title didn't get an overly hyped and dramatic reveal?
    As for hype, as soon as the title is revealed, there will be about ten thousand articles online and an endless stream of YouTube videos discussing what it means and hyping it up relentlessly (along with a fair share of articles/videos talking about how it's the "worst title ever" and "proof that Di$ney is destroying Star Wars and Kathleen Kennedy needs to be fired, and my childhood is officially destroyed by this title," etc, etc. because SW fans are such fun people sometimes.)

7. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    It is just that they can build hype for the title reveal, that may reach some fans that are not so hardcore as we are.

They just have to take a few simple steps to maximize the reach of the title reveal. How much money do they need to spend to do what I proposed, 10K?

Let's see. I hope for least a quick youtube teaser to hype the title reveal.

8. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Coming from a marketing background I would say the best time to reveal a teaser would be the Superbowl. I think episode 3 had the best build up out of all the Star Wars movies I remember (only been around for prequels and sequels). It started a year out quitely and slowly built up towards the release.

9. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    When are they supposed to be finished with filming?

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    But that's how TLJ's title was revealed. In fact, all the back to the PT, that's how all the titles have been revealed (unless I'm mistaken). I remember very well how AOTC' title just popped up out of thin air.

TheForceMakesCoffee likes this.
  11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Last I heard it was February but Making Star Wars recently mentioned that JJ has budgeted for reshoots so I guess it'll technically be finished soon but they might film a few more things here and there later on. If I'm not mistaken I think TFA and/or TLJ released a trailer before reshoots were completed.

12. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    That's my guess right now as well.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @The Regular Mustache

Yes I think you are right. TFA prinicpal photography ended in early November and the suprise teaser trailer came out only a few weeks later.

14. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    and I am sure a bunch of star wars fans when it is announced that reshoots will take place will freak out and say Episode 9 is doomed it wont come out in December. we should really have this post pinned when that happens and just a reminder all films have reshoots some are announced some are not...

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  15. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    It makes no sense at all for a teaser to premiere at/during the Super Bowl.

*Costs millions of dollars
    *We don't even have a title or poster
    *It'd be competing with other movies
    *Star Wars Celebration is just over two months later
    *Disney has other movies coming out sooner that need more publicity than Episode IX
    *It'd just give haters even more ammo
    *The longer they hold off releasing the teaser the better they can make it

So far out of the Disney era Star Wars movie Solo is the only one to have a teaser premiere during the Super Bowl but that was only because it was coming out during May instead of December, plus it mainly just advertising that the whole teaser would premiere the next day during GMA.

16. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    We don't know how far ahead they are in producing marketing lets get some things we know
    They were working on scripts for Resistance during Rebels season 3 according to Star Wars Explains interview with Henry Gilroy, They had Rian working on TLJ while TFA was filming
    Disney had there Q4 meeting when they announce Cassian andor show in November so the 2019 / 2020 Marketing and film budget was probably already laid out
    We already have reports/Rumors that there is a cut of a teaser already ready since last week .
    We know the Title for IX will probably come at the end of the month (January going by the pattern of TFA AND TLJ)

Super Bowl what will Disney promote
    - Captain marvel
    - Endgame
    - Aladdin
    Maybe Dumbo ?

Superbowl usually is a money spot for Companies we might even see a trailer /first look from Wonder Woman 84 and Joker from WB as there coming off a 1billion dollar gain with Aquaman

even as we liked solo Disney are still coming from a Loss

30sec to 90 teaser on Super Bowl seems reasonable

Marketing has already been being worked on if we believe some reddit leaks and I doubt they don't have a teaser poster ready for display in theatres

2:30 mins at celebration with The Mandalorian , Clone wars Saved and Resistance season 2 trailers and announcements of new things. making celebration week worth it for people who go to Celebration

17. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    we got an announcement for the Han Solo teaser during the super bowl last year then the teaser the following Monday the super bowl was on NBC last year. I could see something like that for episode 9

bottom line is the super bowl is the biggest sporting event in the USA may be the biggest in the world so if you want to market something you do it at the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl always as long as I can remember it has been a big venue to showcase your trailer regardless what studio regardless what Network. Its like I was saying to my dad when he couldn't believe the going rate for a Super Star baseball player is 350 million dollars for 7-10 years I told my dad that is just the way it is today its chump change to these billionaire owners. Its the same with companies like Disney you really think they care if they gotta pay millions to market there film at the super bowl, They make it all back and then some in box office alone never mind merchandising.

18. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Ghost in the Shell, Transformers: The Last Knight, Life, John Wick: Chapter 2, A Cure for Wellness, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Logan, The Fate of the Furious, Baywatch

Red Sparrow, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Solo, Skyscraper, Mission Impossible: Fallout, A Quiet Place, Avengers: Infinity War

What do all of those movies have in common? None of them were released on December. Sure there is a .000000001% chance it could happen but history isn't on the side here. My money is on Captain Marvel and The Lion King for Disney during the Super Bowl. I think Endgame has a short teaser during the Oscars then an extended trailer the next day on GMA with tickets going on sale.

I'm off topic. Taking the easy money and saying Celebration still.

Lomesa likes this.
  19. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Not in any objective sense, no. But I was discussing why Episode IX will be the last Star Wars movie *I'll* be unhealthily obsessing over. I certainly accept that there are other people for whom this is not the case. That's obvious.

Howard Hand likes this.
  20. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    How do you block Mike 0h? I never subscribed or liked, even downvoted the most recent video and, commented, ‘How do you block this loser?’

So, I actually watched the last video as I said his source was SW News Net, so maybe there is some credibility to the possibility of the spoiler being true. And spoilers need not be true to be credible as spoilers go. MSW reported about Luke guarding a Sith tomb or something and not being able to leave. Eventually we learn GL had a reluctant to resume teaching Luke haunted by a Sith Ghost.

Anyway, according to the 0h, two guys, one who loved TLJ and one who hated it, saw footage and were very impressed. Even more, IX is tying into Legends and EU. That really got me. I checked SWNN and found nothing.

21. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    It's the Star Wars equivalent of The Godfather Part 3. And I say that as someone who wholeheartedly loves the sequel trilogy.

22. RiddleMeThis

Dec 7, 2017
    Profile Page > About > Flag icon > Block User.

I've never had a Zeroh video recommended to me again after that.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  23. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Thanks! Mission accomplished. It’s not just that I despise him. It’s that he’s always the first thing to pup op on YT regarding SW. From now it should be Collider Jedi Council, which I subscribe to and get email notifications.

Btw, for Siths and Giggles, I listened to hid most recent video. Apparently Snoke’s full name is Evandro Snoke. The 0h draws an analogy to knowing Palpatine as the Emperor or Palpatine in the OT, learning he’s Sheev only in the Tarkington novel. WRONG. Palpatine never had a name in the OT.

RiddleMeThis likes this.
  24. RiddleMeThis

Dec 7, 2017
    Yeah, YouTube's relentless promotion of his videos was the exact reason why I blocked him.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  25. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    How about SW IX: Jar Jar’s Big Adventure? Mark my words. Jar Jar is the mastermind and it’ll tie the ST with the PT.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019