main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Star Wars Episode VII-IX - What are Your Biggest Fears?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by dolphin, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    I am re-reading ROTS novel currently for the first time since 2005 and I am so blown away by its depth and character development. I really feel bad for Anakin.. He was so confused with everything...
    Regarding current tie-in books/comics... Well, I have decided to read everything.. there probably be only small easter eggs as Abrams (I think it was him) said it.
    You last sentence.. hmm.. that is actually good point. Well, I have decided to not read spoilers.. only official info and trailers. I believe it will be enough to have an amazing experience in the cinema...

2. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The only novelization (I'm not going to call them "novels") I read was The Phantom Menace. I can't perceive Star Wars as anything other than a movie or TV show. When I started reading Heir to the Empire in 1992 I imagined the 20th Century Fox theme and Main Theme before starting the book, and when everyone was on Kashyyyk and then on Bimmissari or whatever it was, I got so annoyed that I couldn't see how it all looked. I just didn't feel the action (and partly because I wasn't much of a reader at that time). Then I got the West End Games sourcebooks for those books but by then I wasn't really interested. I hope the novelization to The Force Awakens and other materials fully detailing the movie don't come out before Opening Day. Everyone should be forced to experience Star Wars the same way first, going in without knowing what's going to happen at all.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Funny. I can imagine the music and visualize the events of the Thrawn trilogy in my head no problem. Not everyone experiences things the same way. Some are visual learners, some are auditory learners etc. People that use other methods than visual shouldn't be punished because they experience things differently. Don't want to know about the movie before hand? Don't read it. If people want to read it, so be it. Just because reading SW isn't your forte doesn't mean that everyone else is the same way. For others the books, comics, games and whatever else is just as valid SW as the movies are.

Sarge and TigerCraneFist like this.
  4. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I remember reading the Thrawn Trilogy (along with a bunch of the rest of EU) and I agree. They're fun enough novels, but Star Wars is first and foremost a visual experience. Sure, reading the books can enhance the experience, but it cannot replace it.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    That they completely throw out all of George's ideas.

6. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Overpowered force users.

GregMcP likes this.
  7. BriXman

BriXman Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2015
    The CGI has been greatly improved since the PT, but I hope there won't be too much CGI, like the PT that we all know and love-ish.

8. Skywalkin'

Skywalkin' Jedi Master

May 23, 2013
    That it will turn out anything like the Star Trek films. I'm not even a Star Trek fan and I thought they were awful.

That they'll jump on board with the "dark/gritty" bandwagon that filmmakers think can be used as a cheap shortcut to acclaim.

Forbidden Island, Sarge and smoothkaz like this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Juvenile humor, like jokes about burps and farts. One of those per epic saga is plenty.

10. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I fear that all the PT haters will move on to hating the ST.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I fear the opposite. I'm pretty confident OT lovers/PT haters will almost unanimously support the ST if The Force Awakens lives up to how great the first two teasers have looked. I fear that PT fans are going to hate on it, either because it's aesthetically dissimilar to the PT or because Lucas wasn't involved with it. Or, because they simply don't like it, which is fine, but what I fear is even more division within the fandom.

12. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    Oh,sheesh. Where do I begin?

I hope the original cast aren't relegated to "glorified cameo" status. I'll be honest. The biggest appeal to me is the "Big Three". (And Lando,Chewie 3PO,R2,etc) I'm really not as enthused about the *ahem* "Next Generation." (This doesn't seem to be the case--at least for this first movie)

I really hope they refrain from killing any of the classic characters. In this cynical age it seems the common go-to to prove that "the stakes are high". But Star Wars was always more optimistic than that to me. Let them all ride off into the twin sunset.

I hope the choice of this "new Empire" as the villain/s doesn't feel like a re-tread. Which brings me to...

Pandering to the PT basher/OT ONLY! fans by using too many OT images. (I.E Stormtroopers,Star Destroyers, Melted Vader Mask,etc) Honestly, 30 years have passed. We shouldn't be leaning too much on the past iconography at this point.

Making Luke some kind of "out of touch" hermit who needs to "find his way" again or whatever.

There's probably more,but that's off the top of my head.

Edit: Yeah, it goes without saying, I hope they retain Lucas style of Flash Gordon cliffhanger meets Mythological tale and that it doesn't come off as "Modern Sci-Fi Film #27". *CoughJJ'sStarTrekCough*

13. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Star Wars Episode VII-IX - What are Your Biggest Fears?

Answer: Star Wars Episode I - III

Howard Hand and Forbidden Island like this.
  14. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I fear too much pressure on Episode VIII to be better and like The Empire Strikes Back.
    In light of the Tomorrowland fallout, I also fear Disney overestimating and getting more involved in decisions if the movies don't do 500 million or whatever.

Jedi knight Pozzi likes this.
  15. Xamicom

Xamicom Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2015
    My biggest fear for VII is Jar Jar returning, I seriously hope J. J. Abrams was smart enough not to include the most annoying character in the entire saga.

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I believe there will most definately be division within the fandom. Unless some miracle happens and the ST is so incredibly amazing all fans rally together in mutual love for it, and put all differences aside and all that, there will always be fans of each separate trilogy. Some will love it all (I see myself as one of these), and some will still prefer the ones they loved originally/were introduced to-for all sorts of reasons, and all three "fan-factions" will always be debating with eachother which is bad/which is better and why. As fans of something so iconic and culturally influential, I think that's inevitable.

I think any REAL dislike for the ST will mostly stem not from it actually not being as good of a movie, but rather one big thing: EXPECTATIONS! Mark my words, there will be many who say they don't like TFA, simply because it didn't live up to what they HOPED it would be...

WriterMan likes this.
  17. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Fears (in no particular order)

- Lens flare/glare
    - Shaky cam
    - Convoluted exposition (e.g. Midi-Chlorian, TPM, EP3)
    - Re-hash of plot (really the empire is still around 30 years after ROTJ?)
    - Too many story lines, sub-plots, to hedge your bets that one of them may turn out to be interesting and worth exploring in the next episodes
    - Too much EU references (sorry, not a EU fan)
    - Use of time-travel as a plot device. All stories around time travel, while entertaining are full of holes.
    - Overuse of CGI, cheesy CGI
    - Contrived love-story, love-triangle, etc. Romance in GFFA has really been bad, at least I don't expect much in this regard.
    - Total screw-up of the Anakin story-arc, chosen one, messiah, bring balance prophecy
    - Lens flare/glare ;)
    - Too long. Seriously, movies are getting longer and longer, but this should be nice and tidy at under 2 hrs.
    - Try too hard to please the SW fanbase. I think it would be better to try and make a good movie that would be enjoyed also by non-hardcore fans

Forbidden Island likes this.
  18. lbr789

lbr789 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    That they'll try too hard to evoke the OT (to please OT purists). I hope they don't rely too much on OT imagery (stormtroopers, Vader, the Empire, etc.) The ST needs to stand on its own, not try to be an extension of the OT.

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes and no, if you ask me. Revenge of the Sith felt like a perfect "bridging" film between TPM/AOTC and the OT. If TFA does the same, I'll be happy. As in, I want TFA to feel a lot like an extension to the OT, while at the same time setting up its own imagery for Ep8 & 9.

Going by the teasers, it sort of looks like that's what they're doing. But it's hard to tell from a couple of minutes of material.

20. lbr789

lbr789 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    I see what you mean. TFA does need to be a 'bridging' film between the two trilogies. I just hope it sets up episodes 8 and 9 to have their own feel.

21. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Over-reliance on fan service.

22. tsk91

tsk91 Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2015
    I fear that the film won't try anything new, or will be afraid to kill off some of the old characters. I don't want an OT or PT rehash, give me ST. I want to see what could logically happen 34? yrs after ROTJ. Also, that there will be badly written romance.

23. Obi-John Kenobi

Oct 30, 2012
    I also fear the "Too Many Lightsaber Fights" crowd's crying about ROTS will impact their judgment on the Lightsaber fights.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Is there really a need to have 5+ battles or however many there are in ROTS for TFA? It is a concern but get the characters established here and in 8 so that 9 would be interesting.

25. Obi-John Kenobi

Oct 30, 2012
    Well, I disagree with the way they've set these films up to begin with. Luke should've trained a legion of Jedi by now, so I expected a few saber battles. But it looks like we're back to square one, with the lone old Jedi in hiding while the Empire has taken control. Apparently OT pandering in play.

lbr789 likes this.