main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Star Wars: Ewok and Droids Cartoon Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by vong333, Mar 3, 2008.

1. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    DO WANT

2. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    WANT IS SECONDED =P~

3. BC_SW_fan

BC_SW_fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2008
    This is exactly what LFL should do! I'm just wishing there were a way to actually ask LFL what, if anything, is being done with these shows. It's the the 25th anniversary! Come on Lucasfilm, this is the time! Hopefully someone asks about this at Celebration V.

4. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    There's no reason why LFL shouldn't do this. It's already made, so all they have to do is burn the episodes onto DVDs. They would only have to worry about special features. And they would make a FORTUNE from fans, kids, and people who are nostalgic about the time when they played on TV.

5. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Exactly. Even though I'm an older fan and primarily want these because of nostalgia (since I saw them on their original release), I suspect that other fans & even kids who have never seen these shows before may be interested in getting a DVD collection(s) since these shows are the only major SW releases that are not currently available anywhere (other than some severely edited VHS tapes and DVD's from the 1990's/2000's, which I'm not really counting).

And, IMHO the animation on these Ewoks & Droids cartoons is superior to the animation on the current Clone Wars cartoon. I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but IMHO the Clone Wars animation looks much too "blocky" and too much like a video game, whereas the Ewoks & Droids is truly original and very nicely detailed.

(For what it's worth, I wasn't extremely impressed by the animation/effects in Avatar either, despite it's numerous accolades -I just thought it looked too much like a video game as well, though that may have been the point. I prefer older animation ('70's, '80's, and some '90's), so I guess I'm biased).

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. BC_SW_fan

Jul 16, 2008
    You're not alone there. I prefer the traditional animation as well. I acknowledge that the current computer animation is incredible and that the people who are making it are doing a fine job, but there is just something about the craftsmanship of the old hand drawn, hand painted animation that I love. There feels like there's more a human element involved when you realize that what you are seeing is actually a series of thousands of hand made paintings all strung together. Maybe it's because I'm in my mid 30's and it's what I grew up with that make me think this way.

7. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    I dislike CGI animation, too. However, I do make an exception for The Clone Wars. While every new kids show and Disney movie are in CGI and use the same default animation style, TCW is a new style altogether. In my opinion, as long as it is unique and looks good, it works for me.

But I digress, because I'm getting off topic. ;)

8. Avantre

Avantre Jedi Master

May 2, 2010
    I caught a few Ewok episodes back in the day, but never saw a Droids cartoon. Was it worth watching, or was it similar to the ewok cartoon (of which I was not a fan, not even as a kid)?

9. BC_SW_fan

Jul 16, 2008
    While Droids was geared toward kids, it was not the same as Ewoks. Droids has a lot more of a Star Wars feel to it. My favorite part of Droids is the first four episodes which make up the first story arc, and features many of the characters that were made into Kenner action figures. Unfortunately those four episodes have never been available on DVD, but I still think watching the whole Droids series at least once is a must.

10. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Never got into Ewoks, but I did watch 4 episodes of Droids (the video with the events on Tynes Horky, Tamuzzan, etc.) and while I did not care much for it, I still found it enjoyable even more so than the new Clone Wars series which just doesn't quite do it for me as it doesn't have the epic scale of war like it should, aside from the aforementioned issue of established continuity from that time being royally screwed in the @$$.

I wonder whatever happened with Jann Tosh, though...

11. BC_SW_fan

Jul 16, 2008
    Me too! I would also like to know what happened with Thall Joben, Jord Dusat and Kea Moll. A bit of Mungo Baobab's later adventures have already been told, but I wouldn't mind hearing more about him as well.

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    If any one is going then please ask either GL or SW if and when they plan to release this.

13. n8storm

n8storm Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    I hope somebody asks about these shows at Celebration V, too.

14. BC_SW_fan

Jul 16, 2008
    Has any news on these at all come out at Celebration V yet? What's the status of new DVD sets of these and of the original Clone Wars series?

15. BC_SW_fan

Jul 16, 2008
    So, it's the 25th anniversary month of these shows! Starwars.com will most likely be having a feature to mark the occasion, but I wonder what it will be? Whatever it is, I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully they announce that the complete seasons will be released on DVD soon. A character crossing over into the Clone Wars for at least a cameo appearance would be a nice salute to the Star Wars TV series pioneers too!

16. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    The worst part of the DVD release situation is that there has been no word on it recently. And not knowing is the worst form of torture of them all! :_|

17. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'd definitly grab a DVD version of Droids.

18. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    Me too. I honestly don't care that much about the Ewoks show, but Droids had stories that actually included major things from the films, like the Empire, so it feels more...Star Warsy.

19. BC_SW_fan

Jul 16, 2008
    Today is the 25th anniversary of when both series first aired. Happy 25 Ewoks and Droids!

20. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    Everyone go to Target! Maybe LFL will surprise us with the box sets!

A guy can dream. [face_praying]

21. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    Happy 25th anniversary Droids and Ewoks!

I've watched some episodes that I could find on the internet, and the series are great. I wish Lucasfilm or Hasbro would do some marketing towards the series. Like maybe do a Vintage wave of Droids and Ewoks figures and to coincide, a boxset of all episodes of each series. Be pretty neat.

22. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I had some of the vintage "Ewoks & Droids" figures back in the mid '80's (not sure where they are now, though) and, though they were interesting at the time, they could really benefit by the advances in sculpting that we've seen since the POTF2 figures (for example, the cartoon "Droids" C3-PO figure used the same mold as the C3-PO figure in the regular Kenner SW line at the time, despite the fact that the cartoon "Droids" C3-PO looked distinctly different from the character in the films).

So, as you mentioned, it would be great to see some cross-marketing here by Lflm., i.e. releasing some Droids/Ewoks figures with brand new sculpts (perhaps as a sub-line in the current "Vintage" Hasbro SW collection), and at the same time release the cartoons in their entirety on DVD/Blu-ray. It is very unlikely that this will occur - however, my SW collection will never really be complete until I have these cartoons on DVD.

23. BC_SW_fan

Jul 16, 2008
    There's great anniversary coverage on starwars.com in case you haven't checked it out yet! Still no hints as to when there will be new DVD's, but the articles on collecting and Jeff Carlisle's art are really a good read.

24. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Not exactly a knock against Ewoks then. At least one episode featured a plot to assassinate Emperor Palpatine and take over the Empire. [face_mischief]

Ewok Poet likes this.
  25. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    By all means, Ewoks is a great show. It just doesn't give off that Star Wars feel...except the episode you mentioned.