main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Fans Hate Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd say so anyway, just a specific variety. I'd even say people who only like Star Wars but not Empire, Jedi, Menace, Clones, or Sith are Star Wars fans though so I may use the term more inclusively than some.

2. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    If you run into somebody who tells you they thought the franchise was quite enjoyable, and they very-much liked the originals as well as the prequels, and even own everything on DVD, and a few of the books, these imposters are not Star Wars Fans.
    So i guess that i'm not a Star Wars fan :eek: all of these years and i'm not a fan?! :_| o_O [face_talk_hand] [face_laugh]

3. 10000_baby_wookies

10000_baby_wookies Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 6, 2007
    he's pretty much right, I guess Mark Hamell is one because he hates going to celabrations

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I met Mark Hamill. :)

5. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    [face_laugh] That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read!

Cheers_Cazza@};-

6. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I suppose I'm not a true fan. I love everything about Star Wars, with the exception of the DVD versions. Sebastian Shaw > Hayden Christensen as dead Vader

7. Cloned_Sidious

Cloned_Sidious Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 14, 2004
    Wow. There are very few things I truly don't like about Star Wars (Greedo shoots first, the Hayden ghost), then there are few bad things which I don't necessarily dislike (Jar Jar Binks, the script of the Prequel love scenes) and I didn't want the Expanded Universe to expand so far forwards (they should have managed to get some kind of peace which would have ended the Saga, and not made the New Jedi Order, or anything that comes after it).

The rest of the article describes a very different person, and there is no way I can identify myself with it.

But I am not sure if I am a real Star Wars fan, because I only own about a dozen toys (from the time I was a kid), some Lego, a pillow, 37 books, went to midnight premiere once, and have all the movies in video form (the Original Trilogy was taped years before the Special Editions of 1997) and the Original Trilogy in DVD form.

8. MrGeek

MrGeek Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oh lawl. I have to say I agree with most of that stuff.

9. Thunk00

Thunk00 Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2007
    Well, this is true. A person unaffiliated with Star Wars will consider the franchise to be great, and most hardcore fans will consider the original trilogy at least as great movies. But hardcore fans are infinitely more attuned to the universe, and see an infinite number of areas for improvement, thus writing off Star Wars as being a mere fraction of the ingenious franchise it could have, potentially, been. This phenomenon can be seen with most large communities revolving around a convoluted universe.

10. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Yes, I think everyone can find something they hate about Star Wars but it's the sense of fantasy and adventure that keeps us coming back for more, IMO.

11. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003
    This is article summarizes the very reason why I hate many Star Wars fans and I don't want to associate myself in the least bit with the kind of fans the author is referring to in the article!

12. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    Oh..so that's been my problem all along. I'm not a true fan.
    Because I can look at the entire series as a whole and not hate it.
    Because ROTJ is my favorite of the Saga
    Because I enjoy Mark's acting
    Because I saw nothing wrong with Hayden and the prequels.
    Because I love The Masters of Teras Kasi

What would I have ever done with myself had I not read this article? Probably just gone on in my delusions.[face_hypnotized] [face_batting]

Altough I must say that when I heard Palpy say in Jedi, "an entire legion of my best troops await them" I said to myself "If these are his best troops, I would hate to see his worst."

I admit the Saga is flawed, but this person certainly has a lot of hate in them..considering the word was used so many times.:rolleyes:

13. The_Big_Z

The_Big_Z Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 24, 2007
    I believe that this person is absolutely incorrect. As was said before, looking at the saga as a whole, it is very good. Also, Mark and Hayden's acting was whiny only because it was in their character to be. And frankly, it wasn't really that annoying.

I have considered myself an avid Star Wars fan for years now and I have yet to find something about Star Wars that I absolutely hate beyond a doubt.

14. ThePriminister05

ThePriminister05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 28, 2005
    I agree with all of that. Return of the Jedi rocks!!!

THANK YOU for this thread. Someone finally sees what I see. It's like jeez, shut up.

"I hope the prequels aren't just a rehash of the classics."

6 years later

"They changed everything, its nothing like the classics, poo!"

15. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Wait wait wait so becasue I own all six movies on DVD and five of them on VHS I'm not a Star Wars fan? :confused: Because I own and like KOTOR have some of the books and comic books a long with a few CD's I'm not a Star Wars fan? So that most also mean I'm not any Epica fan a Final Fantasy fan or a Football fan.

I'm not sure you can be a fan of anything and hate the object of your fandom. Isn't that sort of contradictory?

Well it depends just for exmaple there is a band I like called Nightwish they have six CDs out seven if you count and EP they put out called Over the Hills and Far Away. Any wasy I like Ever thing after there first CD. But if I only liked one of there CDs and hated the rest I'm not really a Nightwish fan no matter how much I say it.

I can't like once CD and think the rest are bad and still say I'm a fan. Becasue at that point I'm not a fan of the band I'm just a fan of that one CD.

16. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    Good article. Basically I guess if you're that passionate about something, you are bound to hate aspects of it or be very critical. Because you care enough to hate. :) I'm a fan of comic books as well, but I have no problem thinking that some of the current storylines really suck.

I like most of the EU, but I strongly dislike the prequels, and the changes to the OT.

Really though, if George Lucas hadn't touched the Star Wars movies after the 1995 THX thing, and had just given them a nostalgic theatrical release and an inevitable DVD release, I probably would still think that Star Wars was the greatest thing ever, because I can look past the Luke/Leia creepiness and the ewoks.

17. Kuru-Dawson

Kuru-Dawson Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2008
    Hey, wait, I LOVE KOTOR! That must mean . . . oh no, all this time I . . .oh, God, no!

Oh yeah, and . . . "Jedi Apprentice" and "New Jedi Order" rock beyond description.

Oh, and, I actually like the changes George has made to the originals, and hope he continues to make changes until the change between the two trilogies are truly seamless.

*runs and hides*

18. LordGrievous1138

LordGrievous1138 Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2007
    Just read that guy's follow-up. It's nice how he whines about how people misinterpreted his relationship with his ex and SW's factor in their breakups... even though it's HIS fault for mentioning his personal affairs to begin with in a publicly-available editorial piece that he KNEW would attract much feedback and controversy. [face_plain]

I'm proud to be a false SW fan. :)

19. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    I love everything, movies, comics, novels, games...whatever. I read it all - accept it all, I do not! I have my own version of continuity. Yoda would be so proud.

20. Kuru-Dawson

Kuru-Dawson Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2008
    For us 'falsies', it's actually very easy to even accept the most prominent continuity errors, because we can just blame any misinformation on Obi-Wan's addiction to lying. So really, there is no reason NOT to accept everything about the prequels, EU and re-releases, accept to simply be stubborn and hold on to a sentimental memory of what you thought Star Wars was way back in '77 when you were nine. The rest of us can see how dated the original films looked, am I for one am glad Lucas made the changes and additions he has. Sure, sometimes the flow of things gets a little sloppy here and there, but I'm sure in time, Lucas will re-edit and re-record dialogue across the board so that everything will make perfect sense ultimately, :p

21. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    You and me both, I guess we're not 'true' fans.

Can one really define a 'true fan' though? Or is it a matter of opinion?

22. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    Anybody who is taking it personally, it should be noted that he admitted it was totally tongue-in-cheek. It's meant to be ironic, though the logic of some fans is as such.

http://www.jivemagazine.com/column.php?pid=25600

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, it's kind of true. Which is annoying. Honestly, if I'd never been a part of the broader SW community but only ever been a hardcore SW fan with my friends at home, I probably wouldn't have any criticisms (except for the SEs).

It's kind of sad that being part of the fan community makes you overly critical. I try not to be though. I mean, I could look at it all as a filmmaker, but why? Really, I love them all and I see no reason to try to make myself feel otherwise.

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.