main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Star Wars FIDM exhibit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by PadawansGuide, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TanSei

TanSei Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2005
    Thank You Jedi Kai for the wonderful pictures. They were very informative and excellent quality.

Now, I have something to look at before Trisha's book arrives to me.

2. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    You're all very welcome! I'm happy to contribute to the collective knowledge base! My focus was more Jedi than Padme, though.

3. darthlrrp

darthlrrp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2005
    awesome pics!--it really is something to see all of the costumes and fabrics up close

dl

4. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    FYI, I just came from the bookstore today and saw a magazine called "Ornament - The Art & Craft of Personal Adornment". On the cover was Mary Oyaya as Luminara Unduli, and inside there's a six-page article on the "Dressing A Galaxy" exhibit.

BTW, has anyone seen other magazines about the exhibit? I managed to pick up a local magazine called "La Brea Living" on opening day, with a photo of Anakin on the cover. It also had a few pages about the exhibit.

5. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Matt - what bookstore was that magazine from? I'd like to get it! How cool :)

- kay dee

6. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    It was at Borders, Kat.

7. PrincessOfTheed

PrincessOfTheed Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2004

WOW! I HAVE to get this magazine!! it looks to have some GREAT pictures!!! and there is also and article about Tutankhamun?s Broadcollars (beaded collars), which I would love to see. I MUST go to borders tomorrow!! must must must!! thanks for the info about it!!! *loves you for the info* [:D]

8. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Here is an update I heard about Fan Day this Sunday. For those of you visiting this weekend who didn't buy a membership pass, maybe this is the incentive to go for it!

From the Rebel Legion bbords

Our "official" photographer has reported that FIDM is going to allow flash photography to FIDM Museum members between 10am and 11am on the 4th. I'll put in a request for him to get as many pics as he can of the Padmes/handmaidens.
    -----------------------------

I hope this info is reliable. If it is, I will take as many photos as I can with flash for that special hour. Honestly, my focus will be on costumes I'm making or have made first, then probably anything Padme in the darker room, then Padme and handmaidens in the well lit room.

If there is a detail someone would like me to get a clear photo of that isn't represented in a book already (and nobody else has gotten a good shot of yet) let me know and I'll try to get it taken. However, with only an hour my focus will be primarily on costumes I'm interested in.

- kay dee

9. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    kay_dee, if there is any way that you can get any shots of the end dress cloak, that'd be great! I'd heard from sister_sola that they were having problems with the sequins being too old- any pics of that would be great too.

I hope you have a great time at the exhibit!

~Laura

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    At FIDM today, we volunteers were indeed allowed to take flash photos. Due to limited time, I sadly did not get everything, but I did get a large handful of shots on a variety of costumes. However, I am sure that more will be coming in from the others that were there. :D

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=eg1smzw.xosk94k&Uy=-51k3jx&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

Feel free to use any of the pictures. If you would like a much larger/higher resolution of a photo, feel free to PM me! :D

11. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    If flash is allowed at certain times, I'd like to see some of the new Imperial officer, especially the boots. Heck, why not the whole Sith room?! It was so dark in there.

12. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    Flash photos were a special 1 hour perk for FIDM members on Fan Day see From the Rebel Legion bbords for details.

Thanks for the link to your photos Miana Kenobi, the one of the Pre-Senate Obi is the color that it looks in person. My non flash photos picked up some yellow light from the room reflected on the metallic thread and looked nothing like the color I saw.

13. jess_squared

jess_squared Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2003
    I took 209 pictures of just the costumes. I got them off my camera last night before I crashed.. When I get home from the lab today I'll figure out the best way to post them. I'll probably put them on a free site, and then anyone who wants higher resolution copies can email or PM me.. I took them around 2500 x 1900 resolution on a 5.1 megapixel camera. :)

14. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Ack - I'm glad a few others were able to take flash photos. It totally figures, I had the morning from heck and didn't get to FIDM until 10:30. (needless to say I was very upset with myself as well as the concierge who gave me horrible directions).

With only a half hour to take photos I took a few of Han (got some vest loop details!) Luke ROTJ, a couple of Luminara, the Padme end dress (I stood on the bench to get up as high as I could over the costume) The handmaidens by the end dress, one or two of the Family Gown, The Blue Tatooine Midriff, Picnic Padme and the purple senate dress.

I don't think I will have time to post photos until I get back from LA next week. (I'm home just for 2 days and have other things I need to take care of first).

- Kay Dee

15. Darth_Manos

Darth_Manos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2005
    Sorry we missed the second fan day, bu tlife has been
    hectic and intersting as you all know.

I see someone got a big nice book!!!

16. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh, that's totally understandable. I also figured with holidays approaching many people may have been busy.

Yes! It was a treat being awarded with large copy of Dressing a Galaxy! It was an exciting & fun day all around. I've loved this exhibit so much it will be sad to say goodbye to it this Saturday :(

- Kay Dee

17. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Sorry Matt - I got there late and I only took one token sith room photo as I ran through to the Padme room. I'm sure you understand ;) And I'm sure someone else who had a better morning than I did got a few sith room photos.

- Kay Dee

18. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    Costume Contest! (Winner receives a Limited, Unnumbered Collector?s Edition of the book Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars)
    http://starwars.fidm.edu/pop-news.html

19. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    So Kay Dee you won the costume contest, Congrats!
    So, details? Who were the other winners?

http://www.bobafettmp.com/Temp/Galleries/FIDM-12-4-05/index.html
    [image=http://www.bobafettmp.com/Temp/Galleries/FIDM-12-4-05/thumbnails/tnIMG_5696.JPG]

20. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks. Although If you had been there (or any other number of costumes I've seen at the conventions) you would have totally taken that prize :) The other winners were in the best expanded universe and I believe best craftsmanship/workmanship category. A Female Anakin (her mother made the costume) and a gentleman who does a great Dooku. He machined his own lightsaber. I'm sorry I don't remember their names.

- Kay Dee

21. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    Kee Dee, stop being so modest, your costume is totally dead on, it rocks! And there was also a gal in Packing Padame, that I saw in the photos, that looked really great too.

22. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Kay Dee is indeed modest about her costuming skills. I'm sure she'll be writing her own book about it. ;)

23. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yes, Breana had one of the most accurate packing gowns I've ever seen. Her costume was so good they asked her to judge. She came to me and said "I don't know if I should judge or be in the contest." and I said "You should be in the contest! You could win the book!" But for whatever reason (maybe she already had the book) she decided to judge instead.

I guess I'm modest because I'm really just learning by trial and error at this point. Hopefully as I make more costumes there will be a little less error ;) As it is right now the hem of my skirt is screaming 'fix me!'

- Kay Dee

24. jess_squared

jess_squared Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2003
    Ack.. I forgot to update this thread with the link to all my pictures. :D I have all the high res on my computer, but obviously could not put up 200 photos in high res online.. hehe. If you would like any of the high res, just send me a PM and the file numbers of the pictures you want and I'll email you the high res copies. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45504478@N00/sets/

25. Man_from_Naboo

Man_from_Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    Sooo,

when the take-down is in progress, just a teensy weensy (can I actually write that, as a 34 y.o male ?!) reminder, that if pics can be taken, it would great to have a few of the backsides of some accessories, i.e. the backs of the leather puches on the military costumes, and probably the insides ? The same for the boots (not knowing how exactly those military boots are construced has been drivin me crazy for quite some time, now ;-) )

Thanks,

Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.